Author Topic: CM Storm Novatouch  (Read 232946 times)

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
Re: CM Storm Novatouch
« Reply #950 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 07:35:01 »
Had I known I would have posted it here : yesterday there was a promotion going on at Rue du Commerce where the Novatouch was €144, shipped.
Oh that's a pity. But I'm more looking for ANSI NT (easier to resell if necessary) and I guess that it was ISO.

If you know of RueduCommerce, are you French or from nearby countries?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #951 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 09:42:38 »
Had I known I would have posted it here : yesterday there was a promotion going on at Rue du Commerce where the Novatouch was €144, shipped.
Oh that's a pity. But I'm more looking for ANSI NT (easier to resell if necessary) and I guess that it was ISO.

You can get the ANSI Novatouch from amazon.com at $180.99. That's 147€. Shipping to the US is free, but I don't know how much they will ask to ship it to France.

A Cherry MX AZERTY set will fit, except for:
- The left Shift. Use the provided one or one of the many available ANSI ones.
- The "< >" key. I put it just below the Esc key. It does not have the right profile but I don't care.
- The "* µ" key. It's not wide enough, but I don't care either.
- The Enter key. You can use the provided one.

You will miss one key, the "square of" key. I guess it will not be a problem! :)

The keyboard company sells a doubleshot Filco AZERTY set that can fit the Novatouch, except that you will need to use the large keys from the numeric pad for the left Shift and Enter. The set is approximately 50€. You really need to silence the Novatouch if you want to use this set. The keys are heavy and make more noise than standard ABS or PBT ones.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #952 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 11:17:18 »
Je ne suis pas Français, j'y réside seulement.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #953 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 12:21:06 »

You can get the ANSI Novatouch from amazon.com at $180.99. That's 147€. Shipping to the US is free, but I don't know how much they will ask to ship it to France.

- The "< >" key. I put it just below the Esc key. It does not have the right profile but I don't care.

You will miss one key, the "square of" key. I guess it will not be a problem! :)

The keyboard company sells a doubleshot Filco AZERTY set that can fit the Novatouch, except that you will need to use the large keys from the numeric pad for the left Shift and Enter. The set is approximately 50€. You really need to silence the Novatouch if you want to use this set. The keys are heavy and make more noise than standard ABS or PBT ones.
I think I'll just go for a blank set. I don't want to go through the hustle that finding good AZERTY keycaps set is.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #954 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 12:21:33 »
Je ne suis pas Français, j'y réside seulement.
Alright fair enough.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #955 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 16:29:03 »

I checked out the price on amazon.com. You need to add 21€ for shipping fees and 34€ as import fees. The final price is 200€. I think I'll just try to find an ANSI NT that is already on the Old Continent.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #956 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 17:27:21 »
The only place to buy one at the moment is directly from CM. However, they are nearly out of stock on all the different layouts since Cooler Master went for a limited production run for the first batch and decided to send out most of the units to distributors.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #957 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 02:24:37 »
OK. I'm not in a hurry. I can wait for the next batch. I wonder if there will be differences between the two batch.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #958 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 06:25:52 »
There will not be any differences.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #959 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 09:17:20 »
Alright, still good to get!

Offline MPZ

« Reply #960 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 06:41:23 »
I will have to continue reading this thread later because the latest keyboard question for me is whether I want another/a different topre board from the Novatouch w/ Leopold Thick PBT I am typing on right now. Not that I have any business spending that money right now  :mad:

But I have a problem- NGT if you are still looking at this thread, I understand you went through something similar. I can't get my new Leopold PBT spacebar to fit! (I should note I'm totally new at this- my first keycap swap on basically my first mechanical- I had a KUL for a week before this)

I just don't know what to do- mod the keycap? (file something down). NGT I saw your post in the thread on the caps saying you had to force your spacebar, that doesen't seem to be working for me, possibly because my spacebar stabilizers seem to wiggle around a bit. I'm paranoid that I messed them up somehow removing the stock spacebar (used fingers with the help of a roommate on a youtube suggestion). The stock spacebar works perfectly fine, though (better I think now that I have the spring out).

Help Please! (and I hope this is the appropriate place for this- Though I will just make a thread if I get desperate I suppose

Anyone have any tips? I really want my keycap swap to be done, and using the stock Spacebar feels so wrong (too tall! not to mention ABS lol)

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #961 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 07:33:36 »
Out of curiosity, are you sure you are putting on the correct space bar? AFAIK, the Leopold PBT set comes with two of them; one that is standard, another which I believe is meant for the Leopolds with their signature stem placement.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #962 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 08:55:49 »
I will have to continue reading this thread later because the latest keyboard question for me is whether I want another/a different topre board from the Novatouch w/ Leopold Thick PBT I am typing on right now. Not that I have any business spending that money right now  >:(

But I have a problem- NGT if you are still looking at this thread, I understand you went through something similar. I can't get my new Leopold PBT spacebar to fit! (I should note I'm totally new at this- my first keycap swap on basically my first mechanical- I had a KUL for a week before this)

I just don't know what to do- mod the keycap? (file something down). NGT I saw your post in the thread on the caps saying you had to force your spacebar, that doesen't seem to be working for me, possibly because my spacebar stabilizers seem to wiggle around a bit. I'm paranoid that I messed them up somehow removing the stock spacebar (used fingers with the help of a roommate on a youtube suggestion). The stock spacebar works perfectly fine, though (better I think now that I have the spring out).

Help Please! (and I hope this is the appropriate place for this- Though I will just make a thread if I get desperate I suppose

Anyone have any tips? I really want my keycap swap to be done, and using the stock Spacebar feels so wrong (too tall! not to mention ABS lol)

Yeah I had the same problem. At first I thought the keycaps set didn't fit the Novatouch. You have to check that the spacebar you are using is the one that has six stem holder under it (this is the one Pixel was referring to). This is the one I am using right now on my keyboard. I pulled out my spacebar to see if I was able to put it back again and I did. How I do is that I just align the right holder on top of the stabs stem and the switch. Then I press the stabs in first. Don't be afraid to press a bit (don't smash the keyboard nonetheless  ;)  ). Sometimes one of them is pressed deeper than the other one. You just need to press the other one, once they are in the switch should be in too. If these indications don't help you, I'll try to make a video if I can.

Offline MPZ

« Reply #963 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 14:28:03 »
Yeah I had the same problem. At first I thought the keycaps set didn't fit the Novatouch. You have to check that the spacebar you are using is the one that has six stem holder under it (this is the one Pixel was referring to). This is the one I am using right now on my keyboard. I pulled out my spacebar to see if I was able to put it back again and I did. How I do is that I just align the right holder on top of the stabs stem and the switch. Then I press the stabs in first. Don't be afraid to press a bit (don't smash the keyboard nonetheless  ;)  ). Sometimes one of them is pressed deeper than the other one. You just need to press the other one, once they are in the switch should be in too. If these indications don't help you, I'll try to make a video if I can.

Oh, so it's the 6 stem holder spacebar I'm supposed to be using! I totally just flipped the stock spacebar and grabbed the one with a matching underside, then when it wasn't working I looked at the other one and didn't think it would fit (I guess the center 2 holders are offset or something?), so went back to fighting with the 3 stem holder one.

Thank You! I'm typing on my new spacebar and it's glorious!I love the profile of these caps, makes it so much easier to type. I think maybe I would like it if they had a bit more texture. but they have a really nice feel to them. I feel like they will take some getting used to, but so far I am definitely enjoying the experience. I'm surprised how much it changes the feel of the switches. the reduced travel is definitely to my liking. I'm surprised at how much harder the plastic is on these caps than the abs- it actually feels a bit harder on my fingers, but so much easier to work with as well.

Wow, that was some serious rambling- but then again I should know better than to write anything so soon after waking up. Also this board just makes me want to write more and more- which is the whole idea for me :)

Thank You!!!

-MPZ

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #964 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 17:46:20 »

Oh, so it's the 6 stem holder spacebar I'm supposed to be using! I totally just flipped the stock spacebar and grabbed the one with a matching underside, then when it wasn't working I looked at the other one and didn't think it would fit (I guess the center 2 holders are offset or something?), so went back to fighting with the 3 stem holder one.

Thank You! I'm typing on my new spacebar and it's glorious!I love the profile of these caps, makes it so much easier to type. I think maybe I would like it if they had a bit more texture. but they have a really nice feel to them. I feel like they will take some getting used to, but so far I am definitely enjoying the experience. I'm surprised how much it changes the feel of the switches. the reduced travel is definitely to my liking. I'm surprised at how much harder the plastic is on these caps than the abs- it actually feels a bit harder on my fingers, but so much easier to work with as well.

Wow, that was some serious rambling- but then again I should know better than to write anything so soon after waking up. Also this board just makes me want to write more and more- which is the whole idea for me :)

Thank You!!!

-MPZ

Yeah they are off-set on the other 3 stem holder spacebar.

This keycaps set is really smooth when you put your fingers on it. It feels like they just slide on it. What do you mean by the reduce travel? Is this set lower than the stock one (I read the thread a long time ago so if it is mentioned in it I don't remember so bare with me  ;)  ). I wonder if the o-ring would be of use on this set.

It was the same when I got the keyboard (and it still is), I wanted to write all day on it. So sometimes I just PM'd some friends tell them my day just for me to type stuff. I'm training on touch typing also. It feels a lot better to use your all 10 fingers when you write. This is like the full experience!

Enjoy your set and keyboard, you did a good choice IMHO.  :thumb:

Offline colomb

« Reply #965 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 17:56:20 »
Anyone know what kind of o-rings ship with the Novatouch. I feel like they may be 40A-L, but I can't find any black 40A-L anywhere. Thanks.

Offline Lipton

« Reply #966 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 11:58:46 »
Question, how/where would one find an aluminum case to replace the default plastic one? Would that even be possible for this board?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #967 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 01:52:32 »
Question, how/where would one find an aluminum case to replace the default plastic one? Would that even be possible for this board?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71889.0

Sort of ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ