Author Topic: clickclack's custom keycaps =)  (Read 165529 times)

Offline vhaarr

clickclack's custom keycaps =)
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 10 June 2010, 17:21:26 »
Yeah, it's a really fat pile, too.
I want these slim titanium ones instead. They are heavy-set, though, but that's how I like 'em!
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 10 June 2010, 18:45:41 »
Titanium - my favorite color, silver.  
Is a full keyboard set cheaper per key, when getting a set of all the same keys or is better to just do accents for one board?  I realize this question might not really have an answer yet, as things are still in the early stages.
I know the aluminum keys were said not to be as cold as one would think.  How cold are the titanium?  
I haven't even decided what keyboard I want to buy to put ice/ocean keys on, though.  Déck 82, Déck Legend, HHKB2, or mini-guru.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 10 June 2010, 21:25:39 »

You may dispense with the pleasantries, Commander. I'm here to put you back on schedule.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline gr1m

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 10 June 2010, 21:48:47 »
Awesome work man. You still taking orders? Because I would love a set of 4 of the white-with-red-splat keycaps:

I want to use them as the WASD keys in a Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless NKRO Cherry MX Brown Otaku board.

Offline audioave10

« Reply #204 on: Thu, 10 June 2010, 22:31:38 »
Oh...the waiting is killing me...

DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #205 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 02:46:49 »
I am going to break up my responses into a couple of posts (I think one long one would be too big a bear to read)...

Quote from: iMav;191746
I know I mentioned to you in PM what I am interested in (I can remind you, if you want).  Something like that geekhack-branded would be sick.  If you ever get to the point that you can do something like that...and can quote some rough pricing, let me know!!

Heehee, sorry =S
That "ask" was my sad atempt at humor too late at night, sorry.
I do indeed remember it well, and as soon as I am finished making some some stuff more universal I can get more info out to ya. =)
Working as fast as I can, I promise.

Quote from: webwit;191749
Sirrrr.. Here I am focusing all my mental powers (all lost on fork bending) on having you develop this key as a unconscious commission, prior to me actually commissioning you, and you dare to rename its destined name from "WEBWIT key"??

ROFL!!!
"fork bending" LoLz!
Just you wait ;)

Quote from: ripster;191763
Dammit.  I clicked my heels and instead of a clickclack key I'm stuck in Red State Kansas!

Haahaa, I hate when that happens! Just hold on you will get one =)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 03:15:19 »
Quote from: audioave10;191680
-How big is the bag?-
I think.......
 Can you not refuse yet?
If I was still young and had a Harem, I could offer you more...ha!

Hmmm... I do like the womenz.... hmmm....
In all seriousness I have slowed down on the commissions and I am currently focusing on getting some limited runs ready and making better and more flexible equipment. That's just what I think I need to put the majority of my efforts towards at the moment.

Quote from: webwit;191781
I bet it's something titanium.

That doesn't count you were using psychic powers!

Quote from: webwit;191784
Too slow!

So how does it feel, and how's the weight? Can these be very thin because of the strength of material?

I actually have the worst internet connection on earth, uploads are too slow on a good day =(

anywho...
I think it feels great, but I might be biased as I have been working in titanium for years in my sculptures. It actually has a little bit more grip then the regular HHKB/Topre keys (yet smoother) but that would change depending on the finish. This finish is a light etched pollish and is suprisingly grippy. A fine, very shiny and smooth pollish or a sandblasted finish would be significantly different. This is a two piece prototype key and I have two seperate inserts, one is plastic and one is metal. The key weighs iirc 4 grams and with the insert it weighs like 4.8 grams (plastic insert) and about 5.9 grams (metal insert). However...
It's true, these can be made significantly thinner and I could use a different stem design and that could lighten it even further. I think it's entirely possible (but perhaps not practical) for me to make one that is 3.6 grams for the standard top row key  (key stem included).

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #207 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 03:22:25 »
Quote from: vhaarr;191786
Can I marry the titanium key?
In fact, I want to marry 60 of them.

I don't think that's legal yet in the states... right?
Titanium polygamy... hmmm, good band name!
=D

Quote from: webwit;191787
You first need to divorce a pile of cash.

The man speaks the truth

Quote from: vhaarr;191788
Yeah, it's a really fat pile, too.
I want these slim titanium ones instead. They are heavy-set, though, but that's how I like 'em!

Not too heavy set, but they are perky! =P
LoLz

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 03:37:58 »
Quote from: webwit;191992
The sandblasted caps lose a bit of that natural material thing going on - its essence.

Agreed. I like shiny ...hey! I need an Al spacebar!
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #209 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 03:42:14 »
Quote from: washuai;191802
Titanium - my favorite color, silver.  
Is a full keyboard set cheaper per key, when getting a set of all the same keys or is better to just do accents for one board?  I realize this question might not really have an answer yet, as things are still in the early stages.
I know the aluminum keys were said not to be as cold as one would think.  How cold are the titanium?  
I haven't even decided what keyboard I want to buy to put ice/ocean keys on, though.  Déck 82, Déck Legend, HHKB2, or mini-guru.

Yeah I really dig the color and colors of Ti too. It's a slightly warm silver (color wise) I would call it the "french grey" of the silver tones.

A full set would indeed be cheaper (still really expensive) but I still have to work our by how much. Although I think having them accented would look really cool too. Especially with a design on them.

Titanium is not a great conductor when compared to aluminum so it wont get as cold or as warm, and certainly wont change tempurature as quickly. But having worked with titanium for many years I have noticed it feeling consistently warmer than aluminum when left alone/static.

Quote from: Oqsy;191866

You may dispense with the pleasantries, Commander. I'm here to put you back on schedule.

I wonder if someone wants a Vader key... anyone?
LoLz!

Quote from: gr1m;191871
Awesome work man. You still taking orders? Because I would love a set of 4 of the white-with-red-splat keycaps:
I want to use them as the WASD keys in a Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless NKRO Cherry MX Brown Otaku board.

Thanks =)
I have only thus far sold prototypes, commissions, and have been taking suggestions/feed back as I am in the process of making the limited run molds.

Quote from: audioave10;191885
Oh...the waiting is killing me...

Hey, he looks like how I feel! Haahaaa!
Sorry about my delays in responses, but sometimes after work or working on these keys I am just toast for the day. I also ususally have to fit my posts in during quick breaks while I am working or I will never get stuff done.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 03:53:47 »
Quote from: webwit;191992
For what it is worth, with the alu caps I like the non sandblasted ones better than the sandblasted caps. The sandblasted caps are very pretty, but.. it loses a bit of that natural material thing going on - its essence.

I know what you mean, it's the same in sculpture. Different textures really change the way a material is percieved. I like sandblasted but it can take away from the obvious known look of the material. But I also think that certain really high luster pollished pieces just all look like mercury or chrome and loose the nuances of the materail. I many times prefer a burnished look (the Ti keycap I made is like that) and a very silky satin finish. I also dig the brushed look if it doesn't have that uber precision surgical linear look (like milled pieces). But this is coming from a more sculpture perspective, not for things in general.

Offline British

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 04:41:25 »
Quote from: clickclack;192001
I would call it the "french grey" of the silver tones.

I didn't know we had such a thing :suspicious:

Regarding those (nice) titanium caps, they do seem like fingerprint-magnets to me... or am I totally wrong (hopefully) ?

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 09:09:57 »
Quote from: British;192013
I didn't know we had such a thing :suspicious:

Regarding those (nice) titanium caps, they do seem like fingerprint-magnets to me... or am I totally wrong (hopefully) ?

haahaa =)

For the most part since they are so small you wouldn't really see any fingerprints especially since they are a light color and wont really tarnish. This has more of a burnished look, it's not really a high luster polished look though. Actually let me put it this way, you can see your fingerprints on the dark grey/black HHKB keys and I can't really see any on the titanium keys.
So I think you can safely sleep at night now =P
LoLs

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 11:22:26 »
Quote from: clickclack;192001
Yeah I really dig the color and colors of Ti too. It's a slightly warm silver (color wise) I would call it the "french grey" of the silver tones.

A full set would indeed be cheaper (still really expensive) but I still have to work our by how much. Although I think having them accented would look really cool too. Especially with a design on them.

Which alloy is that keycap?  CP?  6Al4V?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 11:57:45 »
Wow, I'm in for a 104 Filco set with (fine) sandblasted finish, if it wont turn out to pricey! ^^

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #215 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 14:45:32 »
Quote from: ripster;192050
I just polish mine every night before I go beddy bye.

I believe you =)
Hmmm... now that I think about it, that sentence of yours is pretty dirty =S
haahaa

Quote from: Nonmouse;192074
Which alloy is that keycap?  CP?  6Al4V?

It's both... well sort of...
The keycap as you see it is Grade 2 CP (commercially pure).  One of the inside interchangeble stems happenes to be Ti-6AL-4V. Which was salvaged from my first titanium test key.

Quote from: TheSoulhunter;192089
Wow, I'm in for a 104 Filco set with (fine) sandblasted finish, if it wont turn out to pricey! ^^

Oh it's pricey alright.
We shall see how things go though as I would love to do some sets =)

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 15:04:48 »
Quote from: clickclack;192146

It's both... well sort of...
The keycap as you see it is Grade 2 CP (commercially pure).  One of the inside interchangeble stems happenes to be Ti-6AL-4V. Which was salvaged from my first titanium test key.

Is the 6Al-4V significantly more difficult to cast?  Because the Grade 2 would wear much more easily than the Grade 5, I'd think...

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 15:25:42 »
Quote from: ripster;192161
Will this make a difference below the speed of sound?

Yeah, actually.  CP titanium is pretty soft compared to to Grade 5.

Oh, and the speed of sound is higher in Grade 5, too... :plane:

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #218 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 15:42:23 »
Quote from: ripster;192155
Polish Percy In Your Palm is dirty.  Polish Alu Keys is not although probably dangerous to your health.

Well now that we have that covered...
haahaa

Quote from: Nonmouse;192157
Is the 6Al-4V significantly more difficult to cast?  Because the Grade 2 would wear much more easily than the Grade 5, I'd think...

Significantly? Well for the purpose of these keys, no. For the purpose of my other sculptures and fabricated works yes. The working properties are a bit more finiky, but honestly outside of purely structural mechanical parts it's not ususally a problem.
As far a wear goes well...
You are not even likely to wear an aluminum key let alone a Ti one. I have a commercially pure Ti grade 2 swatch that I have had on my keychain for almost ten years now (with lots of abuse including hitting other key, prying open stuff and gouging materials) and it hardly has any noticeable wear, hardly. Rings are a different story though like if you put your hand down on concrete or hold rocks and ceramic stuff you will eventually somewhat easily lightly wear Grade 5 and Grade 2.
I have only worked in one material that I can safely say you will never have to worry about wear (fracturing is a different story) and that would be tungsten.
I honestly would prefer a pure (pure-ish) Ti simply for the more romantic elemental ideal.

Quote from: ripster;192161
Will this make a difference below the speed of sound?

Many LoLz!

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #219 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 16:35:01 »
Quote from: clickclack;192146
One of the inside interchangeble stems...

Interchangeable stems, nice idea... :)
How about making em from plastic (to reduce wear on the switches) for the final products?

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #220 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 16:35:06 »
Hmm.  My experience has been with titanium rings, for chain mail and chains.  Rings of .045" or .056" Grade 2 CP show noticeable wear within a year or less on keychains or the like, while Grade 5 takes at least a couple years for wear to be noticeable.   Ti's tough, but it's not miracle metal- even stainless shows significant wear on keychains after a few years.  And, come to think of it, I've seen industrial keyboards with stainless keys that had noticeable mechanical wear.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #221 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 17:11:28 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;192209
Interchangeable stems, nice idea... :)
How about making em from plastic (to reduce wear on the switches) for the final products?

Thanks =)
The initial ideas behind it were, not in any order-
1)Possibly cheaper (not really in the end)
2)lighter (perhaps)
3)less wear (perhaps)
4)easier tooling (proved)
5) faster (not true)
6)more universal in prototype form (proved and ended up being the most beneficial)
7)more versatility (mostly proved)
8)more pleasant sound or typing experience (can't tell yet)

For a limited production run though its not as beneficial on the whole. But we shall see, ya never know =)

Quote from: Nonmouse;192210
Hmm.  My experience has been with titanium rings, for chain mail and chains.  Rings of .045" or .056" Grade 2 CP show noticeable wear within a year or less on keychains or the like, while Grade 5 takes at least a couple years for wear to be noticeable.   Ti's tough, but it's not miracle metal- even stainless shows significant wear on keychains after a few years.  And, come to think of it, I've seen industrial keyboards with stainless keys that had noticeable mechanical wear.

I think we just have extremely different ideas of what wear is.
I would go with structural, textural, and cosmetic. I didn't reallise you were taking the conversation as definitive as you are. Yes everything can wear, and WILL wear for the most part. But within reason obviously, I mean why would an industrial keyboard even have stainless keys? Well, probably because they need to.
 Generally when things need a silly tough surface or protection they are coated.

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #222 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 17:38:33 »
Quote from: clickclack;192225
I think we just have extremely different ideas of what wear is.
I would go with structural, textural, and cosmetic. I didn't reallise you were taking the conversation as definitive as you are. Yes everything can wear, and WILL wear for the most part. But within reason obviously, I mean why would an industrial keyboard even have stainless keys? Well, probably because they need to.
 Generally when things need a silly tough surface or protection they are coated.

Yup, I was talking cosmetic or textural wear, for the most part.  But I think that's usally what people worry about on keyboards- it pretty rare to see actual structural damage to a keycap.  It's usually just getting shiny or the lettering wearing (partially) off that people ***** about.  

I agree- nobody's likely to wear through a keycap, but I can see (Grade 2) Ti keys getting very shiny and smoothed down pretty quickly.  

I was really just tossing out my 2˘ worth- that if Grade 5 isn't significantly more difficult to cast, it'd be a better option (IMO).  Over-engineering's always better than under-engineering.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #223 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 18:11:05 »
Quote from: ripster;192050
I just polish mine every night before I go beddy bye.

Left or right?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #224 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 18:13:18 »
Quote from: Nonmouse;192235
Yup, I was talking cosmetic or textural wear, for the most part.  But I think that's usally what people worry about on keyboards- it pretty rare to see actual structural damage to a keycap.  It's usually just getting shiny or the lettering wearing (partially) off that people ***** about.  

I agree- nobody's likely to wear through a keycap, but I can see (Grade 2) Ti keys getting very shiny and smoothed down pretty quickly.  

I was really just tossing out my 2˘ worth- that if Grade 5 isn't significantly more difficult to cast, it'd be a better option (IMO).  Over-engineering's always better than under-engineering.

No worries, I getcha =)
I honestly don't see Grade 2 wearing to shiny in a normal environment though. Maybe just maybe a very, very slight sheen will develop over a heavy textured key (like something sandblasted). For all practical purposes I don't see it ever being an issue.

I thought I had mentioned it earlier but I guess not, the unalloyed and alloyed Ti are not significantly different in terms of difficulty while working with them for the majority of what I do but there is a significant monetary difference between the two even for the tooling.
It's a titanium keycap for heavins sake it's already obnoxiously over egineered, silly =P
You could also look at it from this perspective (and I am, and I see that you're not), I would rather have it in pure titanium because of an elegant ideal. Not so much for the worlds strongest most ultimate indestructable militaristic bullet proof item. I guess its the fine art background in me and the want for a more consistent universal workflow. Who knows if I even pursue it, maybe an opportunity will arise that would negate the monetary difference. Then I guess I would have to look more closely at the materials versatility. CP is more versatile in this process than Grade 5 though, so maybe nothing would change, to early to tell with such a wild speculation though.

I am also liking the look of the steel protos too, as I love the aged look and patination =)

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 18:35:14 »
Direct me to the photos of the steel prototypes please.  :D

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #226 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 19:02:37 »
Quote from: clickclack;192248
there is a significant monetary difference between the two even for the tooling.
Ah.  I was under the impression that CP grades were generally somewhat more expensive than Grade 5.  Cost would obviously be an issue.
It's a titanium keycap for heavins sake it's already obnoxiously over egineered, silly =P
Point.  But there's over-engineering, and then there's IBM-engineering.
You could also look at it from this perspective (and I am, and I see that you're not), I would rather have it in pure titanium because of an elegant ideal. Not so much for the worlds strongest most ultimate indestructable militaristic bullet proof item. I guess its the fine art background in me and the want for a more consistent universal workflow.
No, I just see it from a different angle.  For one thing, "commercially pure" isn't really pure titanium, anyway- Grade 2 is nearly 1% other elements.  Even Grade 1 (which would be closer to the ideal) is about .5% adjuncts.

Like I said, I haven't worked with casting Ti, so I don't know about the different aesthetics of working with the different grades.  Durability is one of the characteristics that I like about Ti, so working with the more durable grades appeals to me.  

Speaking of bullet-proof Ti, I've been curious about playing around with Grade 38 for awhile, but it never seems to be available.  =(
[/color]

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #227 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 02:03:36 »
Quote from: Oqsy;192260
Direct me to the photos of the steel prototypes please.  :D

I don't think I will post those until I have a more fully finished proto. I am going however to post the Heavy Metal keys that I mentioned a really long time ago. They sound like you are using a mallet to type with! ROFL XD

To Nonmouse-
Not usually, most of the alloyed (as in non CP grades) are more expensive with some of them being many, many times more expensive.
I almost feel like you are trying to test my working experience here, perhaps you just happen to have a bit more of an active curiousity than others. So I will indulge a little bit more but then I would like to get slightly more back on track in the thread, I hope you understand,  but this thread is hard enough to follow as is =P

We commonly use and consider CP Ti (the first four grades) as essentially a base pure component. The reason for this has to do with the with its reasonable strain (or lack of strain) on the crystaline lattice work of the base metal. If for some reason you want to be an unreasonable stickler for purity then you are stuck with Kroll sponge in a labratory. Of what use that is, well...
You have to understand that alloying is not a linear process in most cases. So CP when compared to other alloys even if its only a small percentage or a fraction thereof you can end up with something almost unrecognizable in practice.

As far as using what you called alloy 38 (which I am almost sure is a military grade shock resistent alloy), don't forget when working with such alloys that you can easily alter their properties unintentionally! So when I am doing a demo with a student or other interested party, you bet I am only letting them start with CP. As few things are more painful then watching your Ti and composite components weakened to a useless mess, that's just not right XD
haahaa

Offline audioave10

« Reply #228 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 02:10:49 »
I almost forgot, you have Model M keycaps also. They are awesome!.

Cherry G80-3000/Blues

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #229 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 06:47:40 »
Quote from: Nonmouse;192210

Tungsten-carbide FTW!
Wear/Scratch resistance is amazing, not comparable to Ti or Inox...
I imported and sold TC jewelery for some time, still wear one of the rings, my GF as well...
It was mirror polished when I got it 3 years ago, and it still is after wearing it every single day 24/7!

Offline J888www

« Reply #230 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 07:55:25 »
I would like to see transparent toughened glass double shots with coloured legends, to enable vision of coloured stems of the Cherry/ALPS kbds. Maybe the horizontal part of the cap to be frosted, only the slanted sides to be transparent. It's possible ? Or possibly some form of scratch-resistant transparent plastics.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #231 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 10:29:25 »
Quote from: clickclack;192371

I almost feel like you are trying to test my working experience here, perhaps you just happen to have a bit more of an active curiousity than others. So I will indulge a little bit more but then I would like to get slightly more back on track in the thread, I hope you understand,  but this thread is hard enough to follow as is =P

Sorry, yeah, just too much curiosity.  I'll stop hassling you about Ti and let the thread get back on topic.   :madgrin:

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #232 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 11:21:11 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;192410
Tungsten-carbide FTW!
Wear/Scratch resistance is amazing, not comparable to Ti or Inox...
I imported and sold TC jewelery for some time, still wear one of the rings, my GF as well...
It was mirror polished when I got it 3 years ago, and it still is after wearing it every single day 24/7!

Yeah, but you can't anodize it  in all kinda purty colors like Ti...

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 11:40:49 »
True, and its much harder to create (casting won't work, you have to sinter it) and harder to process (everything besides CBN or diamond for cutting is a no-go) :(

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #234 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 14:33:40 »
Quote from: ripster;192441
Okay, Okay.  #1082.

I expected it to be updated in one of the place holders, like the FAQ, but I guess it would be in a post, too.  Yea, I want to see some anodized shots, mmmhmm.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #235 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 22:21:04 »

.-.
                      |_:_|
                     /(_Y_)\
                    ( \/M\/ )
 '.               _.'-/'-'\-'._
   ':           _/.--'[[[[]'--.\_
     ':        /_'  : |::"| :  '.\
       ':     //   ./ |oUU| \.'  :\
         ':  _:'..' \_|___|_/ :   :|
           ':.  .'  |_[___]_|  :.':\
            [::\ |  :  | |  :   ; : \
             '-'   \/'.| |.' \  .;.' |
             |\_    \  '-'   :       |
             |  \    \ .:    :   |   |
             |   \    | '.   :    \  |
             /       \   :. .;       |
            /     |   |  :__/     :  \\
           |  |   |    \:   | \   |   ||
          /    \  : :  |:   /  |__|   /|
         |     : : :_/_|  /'._\  '--|_\
          /___.-/_|-'   \  \
                         '-'

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #236 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 22:24:21 »
ah hell, it got scrambled...  can't figure out how to format damn ascii art on vBulletin.  I know why I scored low on that Asperger's test now.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #237 on: Sun, 13 June 2010, 00:24:25 »
Code tags.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline dfj

• Visit our irc: #geekhack on libera.chat!
Toronto scenesters?
« Reply #238 on: Sun, 13 June 2010, 12:50:54 »
OI:
  Wow, these jobs are really inspiring - always sweet to see a self-respecting artisan's work! 'Course - it's even better to befriend one and then see an artisan at work. :)

So: anyone know anyone in the casting scene in Toronto? I'm totally isolated from the art-metal folks these days, and the few folks I'm still in touch with are all hammer-people (silversmiths), or machinists... rather than sand-hogs. :(

Oh - and I need access to a local 'krazy chrome-bloke'. I'm cool with doing my own botched throws, but I'm not screwing around with the dip.

yup,
dfj

PS: I don' even know the right forums where these folks hang out... just some links to some friendly places (like geekhack is fer input devices) will be awesome if all y'all don' know anyone personally to recommend.c
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 June 2010, 12:54:33 by dfj »
Fave Switch manus: IBM, Topre, Matias, ...

Offline JBert

« Reply #239 on: Sun, 13 June 2010, 15:32:49 »
Quote from: Oqsy;192590
Code: [Select]

.-.
                      |_:_|
                     /(_Y_)\
                    ( \/M\/ )
 '.               _.'-/'-'\-'._
   ':           _/.--'[[[[]'--.\_
     ':        /_'  : |::"| :  '.\
       ':     //   ./ |oUU| \.'  :\
         ':  _:'..' \_|___|_/ :   :|
           ':.  .'  |_[___]_|  :.':\
            [::\ |  :  | |  :   ; : \
             '-'   \/'.| |.' \  .;.' |
             |\_    \  '-'   :       |
             |  \    \ .:    :   |   |
             |   \    | '.   :    \  |
             /       \   :. .;       |
            /     |   |  :__/     :  \\
           |  |   |    \:   | \   |   ||
          /    \  : :  |:   /  |__|   /|
         |     : : :_/_|  /'._\  '--|_\
          /___.-/_|-'   \  \
                         '-'[/CENTER]
Fixed that for you.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 04:33:10 »
Quote from: audioave10;192373
I almost forgot, you have Model M keycaps also. They are awesome!.

Show Image

Wooohoooo!!! Just what I always wanted =)

Quote from: TheSoulhunter;192410
Tungsten-carbide FTW!

Yeah, it's pretty amazing stuff. I really like the weight of it and the ability to make one of the most wicked thermal patinas ever. I work with tungsten from time to time and I just love it. But it's can be a bit of a pain to work with to say the least. So much so that eventhough I like it, I don't wish to work on it often, LoLz =P

Quote from: J888www;192415
I would like to see transparent toughened glass double shots with coloured legends, to enable vision of coloured stems of the Cherry/ALPS kbds. Maybe the horizontal part of the cap to be frosted, only the slanted sides to be transparent. It's possible ? Or possibly some form of scratch-resistant transparent plastics.

I am sure you would =P

Seriously though, yes it would be possible and if you could afford it perhaps even worth it (a brand new car is an acceptable form of payment). That's why after doing some glass prototypes I decided to stick to my protos and ideas of clear and colored translucent plastic at least for the moment.
The toughened and scratch resistant ideas are basically a no go though. Why? I don't think I need to answer that now do I? ;)

Quote from: ripster;192431
Hard to keep this thread on topic.

I predict Pricing and Ordering Info in post #982.

How about post #970? LoLz  XD
...pssst...i think it will be much sooner ;)

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #241 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 05:31:13 »
Quote from: Nonmouse;192434
Yeah, but you can't anodize it  in all kinda purty colors like Ti...

You can anodize it, but it's not the dye type it's like the refraction type that Ti has. It takes a beautiful thermal patina though that can be even more rich than Ti (very hard to acheive though, well atleast for me) It can do a green that is outta this world!

Quote from: TheSoulhunter;192438
True, and its much harder to create (casting won't work, you have to sinter it) and harder to process (everything besides CBN or diamond for cutting is a no-go) :(

Yeah, a bit of a pain to work with. More traditional casting methods don't really work. Aluminum oxide, waterjetting, lasering, and plasma as well as diamond cutting work well and are used often for it.
I don't do sintering (with any metal) because I can't and can't imagine a reason that I would want to now that I think about it, lol. But for tungsten I have to personally use a very proprietary technique that I call linear inert field arc drop casting. I can also use this sometimes for titanium too, but unlike titanium it becomes a somewhat dangerous technique when used on tungsten.

Quote from: ripster;192441
Okay, Okay.  #1082.

=P

Quote from: washuai;192498
I expected it to be updated in one of the place holders, like the FAQ, but I guess it would be in a post, too...

perhaps =)

Note to self -Post "Heavy Metal" keycaps later today... errr, find the pics first!
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 June 2010, 05:53:46 by clickclack »

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 08:29:37 »
How do you bring the tungsten to melt?
Doesn't it need something like a electric-arc-oven?
Perhaps a customized e-welding machine? Tell us your secret! :)

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 15:41:54 »
To Oqsy-
That Vader is bad ass! LoLz!
Who knows maybe, just maybe I will surprise you with a vader key ;)
Quote from: dfj;192741
OI:
  Wow, these jobs are really inspiring - always sweet to see a self-respecting artisan's work! 'Course - it's even better to befriend one and then see an artisan at work. :)...

Thanks! =D

Quote from: TheSoulhunter;193619
How do you...
... Tell us your secret! :)

Hey, wait a minute! =P

EDIT: just posted Heavy Metal keycaps (no, they are not radioactive)Enjoy! =)
Updated in second post
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 June 2010, 15:53:36 by clickclack »

Offline audioave10

« Reply #244 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 21:15:58 »
Do you need any more ideas?

Cherry G80-3000/Blues

Offline audioave10

« Reply #245 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 12:07:18 »
Bump...for the sole purpose of irritating Clickclack (sorry)...

Cherry G80-3000/Blues

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #246 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 05:19:21 »
Quote from: audioave10;193864
Do you need any more ideas?

I always am, but I am focusing on what I have right now =)

Quote from: audioave10;194354
Bump...for the sole purpose of irritating Clickclack (sorry)...

LOLz  =P

I have been working pretty much for 4 days straight on new techniques and equipment for them. My back is killing me though... ugh! The importance of a good chair is way overlooked by me =S

EDIT:
Comparison photo posted as per previous request
Updated in second post.
Enjoy =)

Offline jelly

« Reply #247 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 07:17:53 »
yeah we wish to see new keycaps for geek community!

Offline Jimmeh

« Reply #248 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 07:46:47 »
Two words to sum it all up:
Do want.
Input devices: Keyboards: Ducky DK-1008 (blue switches), Cherry G81-7000 (Cherry MY-switches)
Mice: Logitech G5

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #249 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 13:03:55 »
>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[/youtube]