Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1309197 times)

Offline Lanx

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 01:31:31 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;270379

Do you have trouble reaching enough volume?

no, usually have it at like 3 (i use the speaker pass thru) and i'm a total noob in the audio area so like i don't even know what an amp would do, i just thought those cmoy things would be cool to make heh.

Offline Cyanide

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 02:27:08 »
i use the bose Qc-15's. they are good, but i don't know if i would say they are worth $300. everyone that uses them says the quality is amazing, but i have always had good headphones/speakers so i didn't notice a huge difference. i only paid $200 for them because my previouse bose headphones had  broken after warranty, and if that happens they let you buy the same pair, or an upgrade for a big discount.

Offline Earth Worm Jim

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 05:38:24 »
Quote from: ripster;269948
HTPC media server or InterToobs Cloud to Slimbox (duet in bedroom) to Gilmore Lite to Sennheiser HD595.  I can also use the Slimbox controller as a Wifi iPod with Shure e530 buds.

Show Image

Sennheiser HD595 nice! There the ones I use, very comfy on the ears for a long gaming session or music. :-)

woody

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 07:43:46 »
Quote from: NAVIWORLDINC;270383
As for the difference between high quality FLAC and 320kbps I can't tell a difference quality, but they do sound different.

High quality FLAC? FLAC is lossless.

Offline ironman31

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 09:46:44 »
Quote from: woody;270636
High quality FLAC? FLAC is lossless.

I think he was just describing what FLAC was.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Zen

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 10:16:50 »
Quote from: godly_music;270461
Blind listening test or it didn't happen.

Wrong ..
Blindtests can pretty much be set up to show whatever result is desired,
a 2 Db mismatch of levels will result in more than 90% of people choosing the loudest source as the 'best-sounding' .

Here's what you do instead :
You take an album that you know well, rip it to a 'lossless' format
and make a lossy version to ..
If you can't hear the difference you are either using a onboard 'soundcard'
and/or other inferior equipment OR you need to contact your doctor for  an audiogram ASAP ..
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 December 2010, 10:28:18 by Zen »

Offline Zen

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 10:29:29 »
Or maybe you actually play real instruments !
and have an above average trained hearing .

Offline Zen

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 10:35:23 »
Yeah, You better think really hard about that one,
this being a board where people discuss the 'different feel'
of various similar boards of different vintages !

Seriously, do you think violinists pay a million bucks or more for a Stradivarius
if a 500 bucks Yamaha sounds the same ?
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 December 2010, 10:37:54 by Zen »

Offline godly_music

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 10:43:50 »
Quote from: Zen;270669
Wrong ..
a 2 Db mismatch of levels will result in more than 90% of people choosing the loudest source as the 'best-sounding' .

Here's what you do instead :
You take an album that you know well, rip it to a 'lossless' format
and make a lossy version to ..
If you can't hear the difference you are either using a onboard 'soundcard'
and/or other inferior equipment OR you need to contact your doctor for  an audiogram ASAP ..

Blind listening comparison with a large enough number of iterations is the standard to determine transparency of different codecs at different bitrates. It is what Hydrogenaudio folks do. Over there, you aren't even allowed to open your mouth on this issue unless you back it up with an ABX. Unless you can back up this claim that blind tests can be falsified with evidence, it's not valid.

A requirement for proper ABXing is that both samples are equally loud (you can achieve this with ReplayGain easily), and that there is a large enough gap in the results to be conclusive.

The procedure you describe is exactly how placebo effects are born. You take a track that you already know well, you know which one is the lossy one and which isn't, and then you add the incentive that if you can't hear the difference between lossy and lossless, something must be wrong with your ears or your equipment.

Offline Daniel Beaver

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 11:13:18 »
Ugh... one of those guys audiophile guys dissing blind test.

I'm sorry, but everytime I hear someone say:

I just think:

Science works. It's the reason you have all your hi-tech audio gear.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Zen

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 11:24:19 »
Quote from: godly_music;270681

The procedure you describe is exactly how placebo effects are born. You take a track that you already know well, you know which one is the lossy one and which isn't, and then you add the incentive that if you can't hear the difference between lossy and lossless, something must be wrong with your ears or your equipment.

I did not say that you should know what version is being played ..

What I DID say is that if you can't hear the difference between a
lossless and a lossy version of the same WELL-KNOWN piece of music
there is a problem.. Either your equipment is of insufficient quality
to reproduce the difference OR you have a hearing-problem .

Other than that, I totally agree that a lot of all this 'HiFi'-stuff
is superstition, snobbery and/or placebo ..
Silver 'sounds cold', Gold is 'warm' etc etc ..
Yeah, as long as you can see or know what is what, because your hearing is also affected by what you are 'expecting' to hear .

The fact that I use Mogami-cable should tell you a bit about where I'm coming from..

Offline godly_music

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 11:56:13 »
Quote from: Zen;270699
I did not say that you should know what version is being played ..

So it's sort of like a "blind" test then? :biggrin:

Well, I'll take the opposite side and say that if you have a high-quality lossy encode such as a recent Vorbis Q6 or MP3 V0 or whichever AAC bitrate is comparable, you won't be able to hear the difference between that and the lossless original. If you can hear a difference, then there is a problem. Either you hear it because you want to hear it, or there's a spider with a tiny microphone sitting in your amp.

It's easy to speak in absolutes. I'm on the safe side saying that lossy is transparent, because that's what it aims to be and that's what the consensus of the internet authority on this (Hydrogenaudio) is. The other side is the one that needs to come up with evidence against this, which again, means doing ABXing.

Offline NAVIWORLDINC

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 12:20:31 »
Quote from: godly_music;270461
Blind listening test or it didn't happen.

Alright, I'll just call up a few scientists and have them setup a controlled experiment with my own equipment. Dude go **** yourself, I don't really much care what you have read on the internet, but some people actually have good hearing, and from what I have noticed, a lot of people can't hear **** in my opinion.

Just to give you an example of how strong my hearing is, last night I had a headache and I had to take a battery out of the wall clock in order for my brain to stop pounding at each second it ticked off. This wall clock only has your standard quartz time movement piece you see in everyday clocks. Oh I'd like to further mention, that my room is somewhat big, and likes to absorb sound.

I would also like to mention that I am a musician, and have been playing music since I was six years old. I know with my setup my ears can notice the difference between  256kbps and 320kbps, and if you don't believe it, well personally I don't really give a damn, but don't discredit someone just because you can't hear the difference for yourself, and don't discredit someone because you have found similar studies that satisfy your mental well being of not being able to hear.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 December 2010, 12:23:39 by NAVIWORLDINC »

Offline NAVIWORLDINC

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 12:28:53 »
Quote from: ripster;270728
Wow.  Why do you have a crap receiver then?

:eek: And what makes you think it is crap?

Offline NAVIWORLDINC

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 12:36:20 »
Quote from: ripster;270731
Just yanking your chain.  I usually don't hear a big difference in receivers with speakers but do using headphone amps versus some crappy receiver headphone outs.

Ah I thought so... I am not claiming my receiver is the BEST device in the world to provide amplification to my grados, hell, a couple months ago I went back and tested some audiophile headphone amps, all in the over $500-2500 market. I couldn't tell big enough difference, though this one amp I saw for like $1250 sounded really good to me. Spoke with one of the tech's and he said that most of the older JVC's and Pioneers actually had really decent headphone jacks. I was kinda happy with his honesty. Funny too, I bought this amp at a yard sale for $20. Still loving the TOSLINK.

Offline godly_music

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 13:54:22 »
So far it's been suggested that I be convinced by:

- a brand of cable
- nightly headache
- career choice
- strong language

If you couldn't care less to convince me, then stop trying to convince me and exit the argument. Everything else is just white noise, bro.

Offline NAVIWORLDINC

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 13:59:55 »
Quote from: godly_music;270772
So far it's been suggested that I be convinced by:

- a brand of cable
- nightly headache
- career choice
- strong language

If you couldn't care less to convince me, then stop trying to convince me and exit the argument. Everything else is just white noise, bro.

- a brand of cable
TOSLINK is not a brand, it is a technology of fiber cabling invented by Toshiba in 1983.
- nightly headache
meh
- career choice
Never mentioned anything about a career brah.
- strong language
LOL are you the German FCC?

Offline kamikazekyle

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 15:15:34 »
So, to interject in the Lossless v. Lossy discussion, anyone have any good experience with IEMs?  I normally use IEMs due to my piercings and the pain most headphones cause.  I'm just trying to find a pair that fits my preferences.

I usually listen on a Zune HD for portable, or at my computer and through a FiiO E5 pocket amp.  I also usually use Calamity Trigger from the BlazBlue soundtrack CD for testing since it has electric guitar, bass, drums, plus orchestral string and wind instruments and each has unique sections and combined sections.

I've got a pair of Shure 530's, and they have really clear mids, though the highs are a bit aggressive but not overly so.  The lows are pretty pitiful though.  If I flip the FiiO's EQ to bass boosting, it helps fill out the lows some.  Overall they tend to lack body the soundstage feels far away.  I also easily notice hiss from all my audio sources, though I'm not exactly running all that high end gear.  I suppose if I ran them through a better amp I'd get better results.

I also tried a pair of Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10's, and hated those.  The bass and low end was absent, the mids and highs were cold, albeit clear.  I preferred the Shures over these.

My current mains are Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Extended Bass.  These give me the lower end body I like without being punchy, and highs are pretty good but the mids get muddled.  They fit nice, but also slide out over time so I have to keep refitting if I have much head movement.

Anyone have any other suggestions?  Either for a different set of IEMs, or maybe a good amp (and/or USB DAC/sound card) if that'd help.  I'd also take suggestions on headphones, assuming the ear pads were large enough to go entirely around my ears and industrial :P  My headphone experience is pretty limited to A900s (pretty good sound, though again a little bass light) and some Grados that I can't remember the model (too painful to use).

Offline RoboKrikit

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 17:10:31 »
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline Daniel Beaver

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 17:50:54 »
Is there a consensus on what the best $100-$150 range of headphones are? I've seen quite a few mentions of the Sennheisers HD595 and the Audio Technica ATH-AD700.

Offline EverythingIBM

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 18:12:17 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;270856
Is there a consensus on what the best $100-$150 range of headphones are? I've seen quite a few mentions of the Sennheisers HD595 and the Audio Technica ATH-AD700.

Sony and Creative have some good headphones in that range.

Although probably not many people here are fond of Creative's speakers/headphones, which is too bad.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Phaedrus2129

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 20:24:18 »
I use JVC HA-RX700s. Cheap and good.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline NAVIWORLDINC

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 21:43:51 »
I say HD595's for all around best experience, and SR125i's for audiophilia omg my ears are cumming bliss. The HD595's are nice and comfy, bass was a bit hard and highs sounded harsh to me, where as the SR125i's sounded a bit more natural, yet in the beginning, they can be uncomfortable to use.

Offline polygon

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 23:02:38 »
Wow that's a insane price for 595's ins't it? I remember seeing 555's for $80-100 on sale.

I have these sony headphones:

Pretty good quality, and most importantly they are THE most comfortable headphones ever.

Offline kamikazekyle

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 23:14:37 »
Quote from: ripster;270804
I have Shure 530 and SuperFis too and you could always try a better headphone amp but the Shure 530 is very low impedence and tends to pick up noise easily (my Touch hisses like crazy with it).  I happen to like the Shure bass but hated all the lower end Shure models.  I also think the SuperFI mids are muddled (suspect the ovewhelming bass).   Or look at custom ear molds.  

The trouble with IEMs is it seems you have to pay at least 3X full size cans to get comparable quality.

Yea, that's what I noticed.  I managed to get the Shure 530's on a really good sale and I do value them for classical and reference type listening.  Daily drivers tend to be the SuperFi's for the time being.  I would like more middle clarity, but all the other sub-$1k IEMs haven't pleased me or reviews say outright they lack on the low end.  

I might look into a custom mold eventually.  The fit is OK on the SuperFi's, it's just the silicone tips like to trap heat and slide out, while the foam tips are too small for my ear canals.  They'll expand to max size and still not seal.

I had my girlfriend do a quick A/B test with my Shures and SuperFi's since she's 1st Chair in an orchestra and has been playing violin since she was a child.  I figured she could give me some advice since she's been around live music much more than myself.  Even she agreed that my Shures had *no* low end at all.  I'm starting to wonder if there might be something wrong with them as I can't even hear much below middle C on piano pieces, and it feels as though there is ZERO bass -- almost as if the low end simply isn't there.

Though, since those Sennheiser 595's are the lowest price they've been on Amazon in 6+ months, I might give a shot at those, especially since they're open air.  If they don't work out, I could probably resell them for at least as much as I paid considering they're only $118 right now.

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 December 2010, 23:35:09 by kamikazekyle »

Offline Crypt

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 23:37:07 »
Ooh, good deals are always tempting.  I've been eying Alessandro MS1s, but maybe I should do more research.

Offline AndrewZorn

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 01:21:41 »
This thread just reminded me how badly I needed replacement pads for my ATH-M50s, which I researched and ordered just now.  Pleather gets so sweaty and nasty.

Offline godly_music

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 02:15:41 »
You should see the pads on my old Sennheiser HD 570's, they have basically turned into solid crust. It looks like the skin of a reptile.

I would love to replace the velour on my new headphones with pleather, it's just easier to clean. But by testimony it "dramatically alters the sound" and who am I to argue with the big spenders.

Offline didjamatic

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 01:31:15 »
Dang, Senn 595's are back up to $150.  I was a day late or I would have snagged a set.

As for IEM's, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Triple.Fi 10vi's and spend at least an hour a day with them in my ears.  They're very efficient and were made for use with portable electronics like Ipod/Iphone.  But I do look forward to trying them with a headphone amp.

Possibly this one:

Little Dot MKIV SE

or the Little Dot MKIII for less than half the price
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline didjamatic

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 02:05:05 »
These look interesting, being closed and reviewed so favorably.  I'm a Denon fan since scoring a POA-1500 amp that I'm using on my stereo setup.

Denon AH-D2000

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline RoboKrikit

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 03:32:54 »
So I've been "educating" myself over at head-fi.  Why does everyone burn everything in?  There are guys "burning in" solid-state electronics over there.
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline gun_sl1nger

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 04:44:05 »
Quote from: BlueRain;270173
What's the difference between A700 and AD700?

A700 = closed headphones (speaker contained within solid 'cup' of material) prevent sound from leaking in or out. Gives a warmer more enclosed sound (generally)

AD700 = open headphones ( speaker  contained within a mesh like enclosure) allowing sound to leak both in and out. Better 'spatial' sound.

Don't educated your self on head fi. 90% of it is audiophile bull**** about how 500 dollar oxygen free pure copper cables give you better sound. Or how you need to 'burn' headphones in for 300 hours playing white noise through them to make them truly sound great.

'High end' Hi Fi equipment is an excellent example of the law of diminishing returns.

This is a good place for advice minus the BS.

www.headphones.com.au

These are mine:
HD 600s an open set I wear for Jazz/blues/classical

DT250 for home when baby Bella is asleep.

A900s (for work easy to drive) + Asus STX for quality PC sound
HHKB P2 Charcoal/Black
HHKB P2 White
Deck 82 \'Fire\'
Topre Realforce 87u Black
GHSS (Its in the mail)!

Offline gun_sl1nger

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 05:02:56 »
Quote from: RoboKrikit;271520
So I've been "educating" myself over at head-fi.  Why does everyone burn everything in?  There are guys "burning in" solid-state electronics over there.

Because none of then have an electrical engineering background. I have seen people suggest 'burning In' after market headphone cables. It is retarded.
HHKB P2 Charcoal/Black
HHKB P2 White
Deck 82 \'Fire\'
GHSS (Its in the mail)!

Offline Lanx

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 11:05:32 »
so your saying headfi is NOT the GH of headset audio but rather more akin to OCN?
if so what's the GH equiv then?

Offline Daniel Beaver

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 11:12:41 »
I figured I should mention Yuin PK3s, which are the nicest earbuds I've used. Never going to be up to the quality of headphones or in-canal, but when I'm out an about they're wonderful to have (I need to be able to hear the outside world somewhat over my music).

They are much better than Sennheiser mx500s, which are always the recommendation I see on the internet.

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 11:17:55 »
woot woot i got the 595's at $117, pretty good deal.

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW!
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline ManjyomeThunder

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 11:39:02 »
Current Favorite:  Noppoo Choc Mini with Cherry MX Blues
"Storage": ABS M1, Unicomp Customizer 104, Razer Lycosa, (3) Dell AT101W, GeekHack Space Saver
Other stuff: Razer DeathAdder, eXactMat

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 12:44:07 »
once i burned in my remote control over 100 hours, afterwards the remote functions had a tighter response.

Offline gun_sl1nger

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 14:11:51 »
Quote from: ripster;271614
Speaker cones do "burn in".  Everything else is HeadFi "All In Their Heads" bs.

If by burn in you mean loosen up after 1000s of hours of listening due to wear and tear. You are probably right. Considering the cones are designed to hold their elasticity for as long as possible, this would be normal fatigue. It doesn't make them sound any better though. I think the millions of dollars put into headphone research by the design/engineering team will far outway an end user playing white noise through a speaker cone at medium volumes to 'burn it in'.

Considering interpretation of sound is a purely subjective thing, I am yet to see any scientific evidence which proves that speakers sound 'better' when you burn them in.

edit: not trolling Rip, just disagreeing.
HHKB P2 Charcoal/Black
HHKB P2 White
Deck 82 \'Fire\'
GHSS (Its in the mail)!

Offline wap32

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 14:29:46 »
Quote from: gun_sl1nger;271675
If by burn in you mean loosen up after 1000s of hours of listening due to wear and tear. You are probably right. Considering the cones are designed to hold their elasticity for as long as possible, this would be normal fatigue. It doesn't make them sound any better though. I think the millions of dollars put into headphone research by the design/engineering team will far outway an end user playing white noise through a speaker cone at medium volumes to 'burn it in'.

Considering interpretation of sound is a purely subjective thing, I am yet to see any scientific evidence which proves that speakers sound 'better' when you burn them in.

edit: not trolling Rip, just disagreeing.

Burn-in, in dynamic speakers at least, is real, but it is not something you "do", it just happens.
If they end up sounding better, or even if there's much difference at all, that's for you to decide.

Offline NAVIWORLDINC

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 15:32:04 »
Quote from: wap32;271685
Burn-in, in dynamic speakers at least, is real, but it is not something you "do", it just happens.
If they end up sounding better, or even if there's much difference at all, that's for you to decide.

As the discussion has lead to burn in, I felt like talking about my experience with burn in. When I bought them the store advised me that my grados will need about 100 hours of burn in to sound proper. I kinda laughed as I thought it was smoke in mirrors. Got the grados out of the box and immediately noticed they didn't sound like anything the demo pair sounded like. After about 50 hours of burn in I was starting to get nervous, the sound actually was worse then when I bought them, I was about to take them back. But I kept with, and after about 150 hours of play on them, they sounded BETTER than the demo pair in the store. How did I break mine in? Well I found a few sources. I made a playlist... High quality white noise for about one hour, high quality brown noise for another hour, 30 minute silence file,  two hours of Led Zeppelin I-IV (FLAC), half an hour of Tool Lateralus (FLAC), 2 hours of Pink Floyd The Wall and Darkside(FLAC), an hour of Primus Pork Soda(FLAC), and then one and a half hours of another silence file. I had this playlist run for about half a week, with a script that would raise and lower the volume every 10 minutes to random values (20% to 100%) If you ever consider trying to break in a pair of drivers, I recommend a similar practice.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I also used Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill (FLAC), great album for highs lows and mids.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 January 2011, 15:38:22 by NAVIWORLDINC »

Offline wap32

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 17:38:23 »
If I want to speed up the burn-in process, I just leave them overnight playing music at normal listening volume.

But usually I do the burn-in with the headphones on my head...

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 21:18:05 »
Oh boy, burn in? I'm no believer in that. I think you get used to the sound signature. But let's make this an "agree to disagree" thing, because I don't think you'll find any studies on it.

(I'd be interested if you could get people who claimed to be able to hear the difference to do so in a double blind.)

Quote from: AndrewZorn;271026
This thread just reminded me how badly I needed replacement pads for my ATH-M50s, which I researched and ordered just now.  Pleather gets so sweaty and nasty.

How long did that take? I just got a pair of M50s and I'm worried about it.

A friend has some ATH-A700s and his pads are in bad shape. Well, actually, just the left one is gone; the right pad is near immaculate. Pretty odd.

Also, did you order identical OEM replacement pads or something else?

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 01:00:48 »
i used to has the Audio-Technica A900Ti's, they were great like tony the tiger.

Offline gun_sl1nger

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 03:23:59 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;271846
Oh boy, burn in? I'm no believer in that. I think you get used to the sound signature. But let's make this an "agree to disagree" thing, because I don't think you'll find any studies on it.

(I'd be interested if you could get people who claimed to be able to hear the difference to do so in a double blind.)

How long did that take? I just got a pair of M50s and I'm worried about it.

A friend has some ATH-A700s and his pads are in bad shape. Well, actually, just the left one is gone; the right pad is near immaculate. Pretty odd.

Also, did you order identical OEM replacement pads or something else?

The default pads on the art series A700 and A900 are terrible. Really thin pleather. I bought the A1000 pads which are heavier, as soon as my A900 pads wore out (bits of black pleather would end up around my ears and on my shirt). They slightly change the sound (a bit bassier) but considering how non-bassy the sound is from the art series, it actually seemed to improve them.
HHKB P2 Charcoal/Black
HHKB P2 White
Deck 82 \'Fire\'
GHSS (Its in the mail)!

Offline CodeChef

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 15:14:31 »
I should read the rest of this thread but I probably won't.

I've got a pair of HD555s, foam modded of course. Running them through a homemade CMOY amp. Source is V0 MP3s on my Sansa Fuze.

Also running them off onboard sound from lappy.

Also got SoundMAGIC PL-50s for travelling light w/ the Fuze.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 January 2011, 15:47:02 by CodeChef »
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
Headphone Thread.
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 23:42:44 »
sony mdr for monitoring

wesc for fashion haha
I <3 BS

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
need new headphones
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 10:57:10 »
so i was at the gym the other day and my old crappy iPod earbuds **** the bed.  now i am using my good old Sony MDR-V150 headphones.  they are great headphones, but they are too bulky to bring back and forth to school everyday and i am sure not gonna go running on the treadmill with them.  anyone have any suggestions for decent earbud headphones?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline itlnstln

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 11:20:51 »
I agree with didja.  The Triple.Fi 10s are pretty nice.  I have those and some ATH-M50s which I also like quite a bit.  I also got some triple flange inserts for the Triple.Fis, and that helped out a lot.

Offline speedlolita

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 18:28:31 »
I've got a modest pair of Grado SR-80. The low impedance is pretty handy as I can use them with my laptop unamped and they still sound pretty damn good.