Author Topic: Feature Requests  (Read 454187 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 16:21:48 »
Would it be possible to have threads where posts don't count distinguished in some way?

Or let's just count them all!

+1

Promoting your own suggestion?

A feature like that would only show non-participating spammers where to post their spam.

At least as it is now, they post in the uncounted areas, their post count does not go up, they become discouraged and leave.

BUT if everywhere counted the spam would be spread out and not as noticeable.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #451 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 16:35:47 »
I honestly don't understand why post count is such a big deal.  I mean anyone with over 60 posts, or whatever a set limit for the Classifieds could be, does not get a benefit from post count, technically.  So other than a philosophical discussion about it, does it really matter that one has more posts?  Post count doesn't mean increased respect level or seniority level, because there are always people who contribute great information and only have like 200 posts.  Also people who post infrequently and prefer to read more instead of posting a lot about off-topic stuff.  So you can have a person with 1000 posts who's been here for 3 months or a person with 900 posts who's been here for 2 years.  I'm just curious why it keeps coming up as an issue? 

Personally, I see it like this.  If you weigh the positives and negatives from counting posts everywhere, this is how it is:

• + count does lead to some people obsessing over as high numbers as they can get - not a good thing for a forum, so I consider it a negative.
  • 0 count is implemented with the idea that it will force people to post something more constructive in areas actually pertaining to keyboards rather than off-topic chatter (that could technically take place on ANY forum--doesn't need to be GH, which is a keyboard/peripheral-centered site) - this is a potential benefit to for the community
  • 0 count is implemented so that people have to contribute something to keyboard/peripheral discussion (to the community) before they can post on the Classifieds.  I know there's criticism of that system as well, but anyway, it's currently in place, and not counting posts in certain areas works well for that purpose.  - this is a potential benefit to the community.
  • 0 count leads to some complaints for a small % of forum population that wants to have all their posts recorded - this is a negative for that small subset of people

So if you look at it from that perspective, the way it is now is actually with some constructive goals in mind.  Doesn't mean it can't change, but it would be done with the benefit of the community in mind if so.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #452 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 16:47:12 »
I honestly don't understand why post count is such a big deal.  I mean anyone with over 60 posts, or whatever a set limit for the Classifieds could be, does not get a benefit from post count, technically.  So other than a philosophical discussion about it, does it really matter that one has more posts?  Post count doesn't mean increased respect level or seniority level, because there are always people who contribute great information and only have like 200 posts.  Also people who post infrequently and prefer to read more instead of posting a lot about off-topic stuff.  So you can have a person with 1000 posts who's been here for 3 months or a person with 900 posts who's been here for 2 years.  I'm just curious why it keeps coming up as an issue? 

Personally, I see it like this.  If you weigh the positives and negatives from counting posts everywhere, this is how it is:

• + count does lead to some people obsessing over as high numbers as they can get - not a good thing for a forum, so I consider it a negative.
  • 0 count is implemented with the idea that it will force people to post something more constructive in areas actually pertaining to keyboards rather than off-topic chatter (that could technically take place on ANY forum--doesn't need to be GH, which is a keyboard/peripheral-centered site) - this is a potential benefit to for the community
  • 0 count is implemented so that people have to contribute something to keyboard/peripheral discussion (to the community) before they can post on the Classifieds.  I know there's criticism of that system as well, but anyway, it's currently in place, and not counting posts in certain areas works well for that purpose.  - this is a potential benefit to the community.
  • 0 count leads to some complaints for a small % of forum population that wants to have all their posts recorded - this is a negative for that small subset of people

So if you look at it from that perspective, the way it is now is actually with some constructive goals in mind.  Doesn't mean it can't change, but it would be done with the benefit of the community in mind if so.

photo I can't read all that right now but its already been made clear in practice the 60 posts count to sell is really just bypassed by people posting either all at once or over just a few days in the forums where posts count, then many sell and leave, or only post when they have something to sell.

IF the only reason posts don't count is to stop people from getting to 60 too fast that reason is invalid by reality (see above) and either there should be a time requirement or something to be able to post a thread in the classifieds.

It is true post count means absolutely nothing when it comes to respect, seniority etc, etc but if some of us take the time and effort to post a gazillion times a day it should at least count, sure some of it maybe crap or most of it at times but surely some nuggets are there.

The point I'm making is post count really doesn't matter, surely I've proven that by now, so why limit it?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #453 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:00:50 »
I went over that too in the post you said you couldn't read.  Sadly post count DOES matter to some percent of the users, to the point where they WILL post as much as possible just to get it up higher.  Which off-topic discussions are perfect for.  So not getting points for useless posts is removing at least some incentive for those posts to happen.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #454 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:07:09 »
I went over that too in the post you said you couldn't read.  Sadly post count DOES matter to some percent of the users, to the point where they WILL post as much as possible just to get it up higher.  Which off-topic discussions are perfect for.  So not getting points for useless posts is removing at least some incentive for those posts to happen.

So why have off topic to begin with? I mean...its mostly pointless stuff anyways. Just sayin.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #455 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:17:21 »
It is true post count means absolutely nothing when it comes to respect, seniority etc, etc but if some of us take the time and effort to post a gazillion times a day it should at least count, sure some of it maybe crap or most of it at times but surely some nuggets are there.

The point I'm making is post count really doesn't matter, surely I've proven that by now, so why limit it?

It isn't the count, it's the content. Your post count matters, but it isn't necessarily about how large the number is. It's a pretty good way to determine signal to noise though...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #456 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:20:42 »

It isn't the count, it's the content. Your post count matters, but it isn't necessarily about how large the number is. It's a pretty good way to determine signal to noise though...

So lets show on topic post count and off topic post count on two different lines in peoples avatars that is a good idea jwaz.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #457 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:21:13 »
We should have some system implemented where you can give a point to a good comment and take a point from a bad comment and then you can aggregate all these points into a total "score" type thing. I read it somewhere about this, idk if this would work though.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #458 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:23:04 »
So lets show on topic post count and off topic post count on two different lines in peoples avatars that is a good idea jwaz.

no.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #459 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:23:28 »
We should have some system implemented where you can give a point to a good comment and take a point from a bad comment and then you can aggregate all these points into a total "score" type thing. I read it somewhere about this, idk if this would work though.

This is like the xda developer forums "thanks"
single posts can be thanked and each user gets a max ability to thank 8 posts.
each user gets a thanks score based on the amount of posts that people thanked them for.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #460 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:23:48 »

no.

what could it possibly hurt??

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #461 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:24:49 »
This is like the xda developer forums "thanks"
single posts can be thanked and each user gets a max ability to thank 8 posts.
each user gets a thanks score based on the amount of posts that people thanked them for.

maybe instead of thanks we could have some sort of cause and effect score. so like, if I give you upclacks you'd be more inclined to give me upclacks, and then everyone can have upclacks and downclacks and we could all be happy.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #462 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:25:03 »

People hold grudges and will just take points to be ****s.

The one thing I want is for OPs to have control of their threads other than locking.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #463 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:30:20 »

People hold grudges and will just take points to be ****s.

The one thing I want is for OPs to have control of their threads other than locking.
But then you have to be careful in which thread you are commenting, hate the circle jerk thing going on in other forums and that is exactly what the up and down vote would bring.
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #464 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:30:37 »
I have tossed around a "like" feature.  On other forums that I've frequented, these sorts of things can be abused when they allow "dislikes", but a positive-only system is not out of the question.  It can still be abused to some degree, but maybe the benefits outweigh the costs.  Hard to say...
Russ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #465 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:31:42 »
I have tossed around a "like" feature.  On other forums that I've frequented, these sorts of things can be abused when they allow "dislikes", but a positive-only system is not out of the question.  It can still be abused to some degree, but maybe the benefits outweigh the costs.  Hard to say...

oh it can be abused....then you get hit clubs in off topic who set up a roster and like each other every day and eventually have huge amounts of fake likes

also rkinze good to see you around :thumb:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #466 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:39:23 »
I should be a featured mod. That counts as a feature request right?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #467 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:54:26 »
Simple solution: rename "Post Count" to "Contribution Count" or whatever else to be precise.  Because "contribution" is really in a loose sense an addition to the forum, it needs not to only be seen in the constructive beneficial way.  But define posts in the Keyboards / related sections to be "contributing" to the keyboard/related nature of this forum.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #468 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:14:38 »
Simple solution: rename "Post Count" to "Contribution Count" or whatever else to be precise.  Because "contribution" is really in a loose sense an addition to the forum, it needs not to only be seen in the constructive beneficial way.  But define posts in the Keyboards / related sections to be "contributing" to the keyboard/related nature of this forum.

no.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #469 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:17:49 »
He said no to something different.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #470 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:31:17 »
There was a thread discussing +1 style stuff before, although I am for it IIRC a lot of people were not. Can you to do a vote or something?

Can't find the original thread :(
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #471 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 19:17:45 »
I should be a featured mod. That counts as a feature request right?

That's not really on topic demik.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #472 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 19:27:21 »
might as well lock this thread

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #473 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 20:44:37 »

This is the way that xda does it. They do not have a dislikes. Also this site already basically has a click of hogh post count members. Likes/thanjs/whatever you call It will help noobs determine who is helpful.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #474 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 21:41:45 »
I don't like the way XDA does it.  I've actually been asked and even told to thank a couple people.  I don't like being forced to thank someone for every post they make.  It's a lot more relaxed with the OCN's +rep system.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #475 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 21:49:54 »
Here is why some do not like the way xda does it...

Rather then waste 30 pages with people posting every variation of the word thanks they ask you to either click the thanks button or do not post at all. They will delete worthless posts that do not contribute to the topic.

xda is easier to find useful information in it's dev forums because of this policy.
If you do want to post useless crap that is what the general forums are for at xda.

As a xda developer and long time member I like this policy when reading my own threads and looking for users posting bugs.

Imagine the tmk firmware thread without all the crap.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #476 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 22:01:26 »
oh it can be abused....then you get hit clubs in off topic who set up a roster and like each other every day and eventually have huge amounts of fake likes

Well it would likely have certain limitations, such as being disabled in off topic and other places, not being able to +1 the same person more than once per day, etc.

also rkinze good to see you around :thumb:

Work has been rough over the past few months, but things are starting to get back to some degree of normalcy.  Of course, I also have along backlog of home-related projects now as well.  :p
Russ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #477 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 22:05:08 »
Domo:

I'm afraid that's not going to happen here.  Even with a handful of things that I moderate daily vs. hundreds of posts made, people already protest.  Imagine moderating every thread actively.  And who wants that kind of a place, where you can't post anything at all that won't yield a "thanks".  Sounds more like formalized information request system than a forum for information exchange and partaking in a hobby.  I don't think that's GH's philosophy at all.  If you're only going to implement something part-way, it's not going to be a good system.  It needs to be a system that works organically for a specific environment.  XDA as you describe it is a bit of an extreme in a different direction, compared to GH.

Also, if you were hinting at me by "some", I actually don't participate in their forums to chat about stuff at all.  I only specifically post to report bugs in ROMs I use, which means I've only ever made under 100 posts there over the years.  I've received some very simple replies, and have not thanked 100% of the time, but do now, because I was specifically told to thank.  Honestly, that irked me, because some things are obvious.  I don't need to add +thanks for every little thing, and yet it seems to be expected there.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #478 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 22:44:28 »
A reputation-based system would not work as well because it would require members to actually provide feedback on everything.  And feedbacks could too easily be abused by getting all your friends to upvote your post, or downvote someone else's.

The existing post-count-based system vaguely works - those with only a few posts are PROBABLY new (a quick look at their profile, if it really matters, will reveal when they joined), whilst those with a larger post count have either been here a long time and/or post quite frequently.

Should this be moved into a separate discussion so as not to pollute this general feature request thread?

Anyway, post count is only really used to judge the reliability of members who start GBs, or who want to buy/sell/trade something in Classifieds.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2014, 22:51:40 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #479 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 23:07:57 »
Here's something to consider: would it be good to implement yet another system of post distinctions that some would like and others would find a major problem with?  Invariably, there will be complaints and threads saying "this new system is so unfair, let's change it in some way".  Look at how much random criticism something so very simple as Star icons have gotten.  Some pointedly don't get stars, some argue that stars are stupid.  "Someone with who's been here for only a short time should not be called an 'elder'", etc.  It's such a simple system, with voluntary participation, and yet even that was grounds for complaints.

Let's face it, GeekHackers love to complain :)  So a system that's as simple as possible is probably best.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #480 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 00:04:52 »
Here's something to consider: would it be good to implement yet another system of post distinctions that some would like and others would find a major problem with?  Invariably, there will be complaints and threads saying "this new system is so unfair, let's change it in some way".  Look at how much random criticism something so very simple as Star icons have gotten.  Some pointedly don't get stars, some argue that stars are stupid.  "Someone with who's been here for only a short time should not be called an 'elder'", etc.  It's such a simple system, with voluntary participation, and yet even that was grounds for complaints.

Let's face it, GeekHackers love to complain :)  So a system that's as simple as possible is probably best.

Am I allowed to complain about that post?

jk ;)

Yes, as I said, the existing post count system more or less works.  I am happy with it.  A post count Hapster :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #481 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 10:57:15 »
To change the subject I would still like to see a way to label sent items. Organizing groupbuy discussions that take place via pm's here is  lacking this.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #482 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 11:10:26 »
A reputation-based system would not work as well because it would require members to actually provide feedback on everything.  And feedbacks could too easily be abused by getting all your friends to upvote your post, or downvote someone else's.

The existing post-count-based system vaguely works - those with only a few posts are PROBABLY new (a quick look at their profile, if it really matters, will reveal when they joined), whilst those with a larger post count have either been here a long time and/or post quite frequently.

Should this be moved into a separate discussion so as not to pollute this general feature request thread?

Anyway, post count is only really used to judge the reliability of members who start GBs, or who want to buy/sell/trade something in Classifieds.

I think it would be worthwhile to note length of membership under post count, just so people can quickly see how long someone has been a member.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #483 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 11:28:55 »

Instead of a +1 or "Like" button, how about a karma system? Members must have a minimum number of posts to give out karma, and even then, they cannot give out a karma point more often than, I dunno, once per day? So if someone writes up a great post, something useful, something funny, whatever -- you give them some karma along with a description of why you gave them the karma.

So let's imagine someone wrote up a great tutorial on (speaking hypothetically here) how to paint my toenails properly. The karma listing for that post might look like this:

-Krogenar, posted 12/31/2013: "I frosted my toenails for New Year's and it looks awesome, thanks for the tutorial."
-Spamray, posted 1/1/2014: "The bacon-scented scratch-and-sniff polish was a hit!"

And so on. It would help identify the really awesome threads, trending threads, and make it easy for people to promote the best of the forum. Displayed under each avatar would be how much karma that user has received, and clicking on the link shows the posts where (and why) they earned the karma.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 January 2014, 11:31:31 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #484 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 12:03:57 »

I think it would be worthwhile to note length of membership under post count, just so people can quickly see how long someone has been a member.

+1 this is a great idea and should be much easier to implement then a rep system.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #485 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 12:06:04 »
sorry to double post but I just had another idea...

I would like a way to filter the notifications page to only show unread topics.
in tapatalk's "subscriptions" area it allows subscriptions unread and it does this.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #486 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 13:07:32 »

+1

Length of membership, or date joined, is something that I have seen on quite a few other forums.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #487 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 08:42:34 »
we need more keyboard shortcuts....

like...it would be great to have a shortcut to go to spy so i don' t have to go up and click it all the time

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #488 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 08:47:02 »

like...it would be great to have a shortcut to go to spy so i don' t have to go up and click it all the time

Just get one of those techkeys business cards an reprogram the button to type in the spy URL instead of techkeys :thumb:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #489 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 08:47:33 »

Just get one of those techkeys business cards an reprogram the button to type in the spy URL instead of techkeys :thumb:

but nobody knows how to program them..... :(

Offline Coreda

« Reply #490 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 03:30:53 »
Small request: could the <spoiler> tags be styled to be a light shade on the dark themes. Currently using Nostalgia and can barely make out the spoiler text black.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #491 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 10:50:13 »
I didn't know that anyone actually used the native "spoiler" tags SMF.
Russ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #492 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:00:13 »
I didn't know that anyone actually used the native "spoiler" tags SMF.

everybody does!

not really

Offline Coreda

« Reply #493 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 00:34:57 »
Another thing :D I've been noticing over the past few weeks how much more readable threads would become by removing nested quotes and leaving only the user directly quoted. Many threads pages are made rather long by leaving the nested quotes intact, often one after the other increasing in size, making posts more difficult to follow.

At least collapsing nested quotes within a 'Show more' button as I've seen on some forums would be an improvement, as constantly stripping out redundant quotes from posts is a so passé  ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 January 2014, 01:22:07 by Coreda »

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #494 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 07:09:20 »
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet (probably is) but I am thinking of making some kind of bump your thread system. Maybe like on DT you don't have to comment on your thread (to prevent mess) there is a "bump" button and in the OP it specifically says then the thread was last time bumped. Near little feature will keep the threads more clean imo.
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #495 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 10:41:26 »
Would it be possible in the software to have a "Timeline" link at the top, like Tapatalk has? Basically like the "Spy" feature, but doesn't update, and has multiple pages of contents. Also "Subscribed" which is like "Watched" but includes already read threads.

I currently use "Unread" and "Watched" mostly, but I'd like to see  Timeline and Subscribed features, where even read threads show up there.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #496 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 12:59:42 »
Would it be possible in the software to have a "Timeline" link at the top, like Tapatalk has? Basically like the "Spy" feature, but doesn't update, and has multiple pages of contents. Also "Subscribed" which is like "Watched" but includes already read threads.

I currently use "Unread" and "Watched" mostly, but I'd like to see  Timeline and Subscribed features, where even read threads show up there.

filter options on unread would be great as well. (filter out offtopic....)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #497 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 19:29:53 »
Any chance we find get a section for meet ups that are in the future/planning stages?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Notifications Page Layout
« Reply #498 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 18:23:13 »
Would it be possible to have the settings box in the Notification page to either be collapsed to one line by default or placed at the bottom of the page instead of the top?

I rarely need to see it or change things and it just blocks the view of updated threads.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #499 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 20:48:33 »
Not sure if this has been said before, but I think it would be nice if when you clicked on a link in the Spy utility, it took you to the last page of the thread.