Author Topic: I'm in the market for a certain type of keyboard.  (Read 4003 times)

Offline ETC2BI

• Veteran Dungeon Defender & Computer Wizard.
I'm in the market for a certain type of keyboard.
« on: Wed, 28 September 2022, 20:34:25 »
I know that isn't a very descriptive title but I'm in the market for one right now and I don't know where else to go for it outside of another forum site entirely.
I've been into mechanical keyboards for a long time, I've used a couple over the years.
Also while I like membrane keyboards quite a bit as well, they can't seem to offer the performance I need.
I'd be interested to see if there's high-tier ones out there though.

But anyways, here's my situation. I want the "Sony MDR-7506" equivalent of keyboards, if one exists.

I've found for nearly every piece of hardware, there's something along the lines of a piece of hardware that just *does the job* perfectly. I'm not in the market for crazy features, I don't give a darn about back-lighting or looks. I want something that gets the job done well. Not another branded garbage item that will break on me in a year after dropping 80$ on it.

Here's my criteria:
> 0-165$
> Avoid brands like Razer & Steelseries
> NKRO
> It's fine if it's plastic, but it has to be good plastic. Bonus points if It's aluminum
> Preferably 100%, I *can* go without a numpad but I prefer having one, as well as media keys but that's also something I can go without
> Standard Layout (qwerty, sorry to dvorak users but I keep it the same-old same-old)
> Low latency (wired, I'm open to the PS/2 cord stuff but it's still new to me)
> Doesn't require additional drivers
> Preferably not a custom

Other than that, feel free to pitch weird stuff to fit the bill.
I'm looking for performance.

My current board is a Leopold FC660M, if this helps at all.
I like brown switches, keyboards that go "thonk"
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 September 2022, 21:32:08 by ETC2BI »
"In hiding you'll find the shadows of time
The space between a blink and a tear"

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline ETC2BI

Re: I'm in the market for a certain type of keyboard.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 September 2022, 21:34:05 »
Thank you Caezar, but I forgot to add I would prefer it not be a "custom"/"build it yourself" thing as I don't have the time for it.
Also from my past experiences with Keychron they have high wired latency, I don't know if it was just the model but that's my main gripe with it.

Nice profile image by the way :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 September 2022, 21:37:03 by ETC2BI »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 September 2022, 22:14:45 »
It looks as if you already have the answer - what's wrong with your FC660M, other than the layout?

Leopold MX keyboards are commonly understood to be the best performance per price-point. They are the most rugged and come with good stabilizers [for a pre-built].

I had a full-size [100%] in MX Brown. The Browns were very mediocre, so that was a weak point. My Filco had better. But it's a crap-shoot with the switches.

If you're not getting a Leopold 100%, then you have
-Filco [very durable, but uses Co-Star stabilizers, and comes with thin ABS keycaps]
-Varmilo [these are often very nice, but less durable than Filco /
-Ducky [believed to be a half-tier lower than these others, but many of their MX Brown full-size keyboards are reportedly great].

In my experience, the only 'mod' that 100% MX Brown keyboards need are DCS-profile keycaps.

What are these factory keyboards lacking that prompts your inquiry?

Offline ETC2BI

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 September 2022, 22:22:24 »
Actually the only issue with my Leopold is the fact it's 6KRO and I wanted something a little bit higher in build quality.
The keyboard I'm looking at right now is actually a FC900R, because It's full-size & has the NKRO.
I was purely asking because I was curious if it was a similar situation to headphones in the sense that I've spent a lot of money on the popular brand stuff just to find out I could buy the studio headphones and have to never replace them ever again.
Thank you for the reply, I love Leopold for that exact reason. They're built to last and they have pretty unrivaled performance for that price-range.
I'm not that big into keyboards but that's what I've gathered at least.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 September 2022, 07:41:57 »
If you like your FC660M, Leopold also makes 100% boards  ;)

In terms of build quality, you can't get too much better than Leopold without entering custom territory.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 September 2022, 07:43:59 by mohawk1367 »
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 September 2022, 09:22:25 »
Yeah, a Leopold should last for decades. They have everything solid that people desire [decent stabilizers, double-shot PBT, detacheable cables, strong PCB.] There are basically no drawbacks to them.

I would recommend thick ABS double-shots [Cherry or DCS] at some point down-the-line, if you are using MX Browns. PBT double-shots are a bit heavy for them IMHO, and dampen the limited tactility. But it's not a big deal.

BTW, these are photos from when my MX Brown FC900R PD was modified into a Zeal V2 keyboard:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103412.0

My other FC900R PD uses 65 G [TX] Ergo Clears.

Offline ETC2BI

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 September 2022, 10:00:30 »
That's what I've come to realize.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm really not picky about the fine details but I'll take note.

Offline ETC2BI

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 September 2022, 13:12:35 »
I just now forgot
The reason for my question is this, math-forsaken game

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 07:28:43 »
Yeah, a Leopold should last for decades. They have everything solid that people desire [decent stabilizers, double-shot PBT, detacheable cables, strong PCB.] There are basically no drawbacks to them.

I would recommend thick ABS double-shots [Cherry or DCS] at some point down-the-line, if you are using MX Browns. PBT double-shots are a bit heavy for them IMHO, and dampen the limited tactility. But it's not a big deal.

BTW, these are photos from when my MX Brown FC900R PD was modified into a Zeal V2 keyboard:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103412.0

My other FC900R PD uses 65 G [TX] Ergo Clears.

As with everything in this hobby, it's all personal preference but I personally like Leopold's caps more than GMK, DCS, or any other keycap manu. Maybe even CRP.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 17:15:06 »
Leopold caps are widely regarded as God-tier. However, I think they are a little heavy to use on MX Browns, that's all.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 22:08:14 »
-Varmilo [these are often very nice, but less durable than Filco /
Pretty much any keyboard, cheap or expensive should last several years at minimum, especially something MX based.

PCBs rarely fail, switches rarely fail.
Yes, something like Filco will possibly last longer but do you care if it lasts 20 years or "only" 10? Odds are you'll replace it before then anyhow.

Not trying to dispute what you said, just trying to clarify for new people because it's easy to get the wrong idea.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ETC2BI

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 November 2022, 17:44:36 »
Update
I ended up getting THIS board https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3563
MX Blue Switches

It's treated me perfectly, exactly what I was looking for
I also found out my PC has a PS/2 slot so that's been wonderful.
I've also discovered it has weird hidden media keys, this board is full of secrets apparently.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 November 2022, 23:12:09 »
Update
I ended up getting THIS board https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3563
MX Blue Switches

OK, that's a good board. People like the classic colourway. Yes, I've used Leopolds with PS/2 slots as well. Custom boards, on the other hand, don't necessarily have that feature.