Author Topic: wrist rest  (Read 19060 times)

Offline NwGRich

wrist rest
« on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 21:12:36 »
Anything I should look at besides the ducky and filco?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: wrist rest
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 21:15:02 »
I like a big fat gel wrist rest, but I think I am in the minority.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 21:18:07 »
I make custom rests out of hardwood

check the link in my sig
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline NwGRich

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 21:30:00 »

check the link in my sig

yea scrolling through finished zebra looks nice

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 01:46:15 »
Wooden/metal/plastic wrist rests look cool, but I would never consider them, because they seem more harmful than ergonomic to me.

Based on what I've read about CTS (and also from my personal experience), I think wrist rest should be soft (not too soft though) and work fine even with sweaty hands (cloth/leather/rubberized surface).

I use a cheap no-name gel wrist rest, but I'm considering a Grifiti fat one. I've tried at least four different kinds of wrist rests, but most didn't work for me at all.

Offline MykB77

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 07:34:52 »
Check out th

Offline MykB77

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 07:36:07 »
Wow.  What I meant to type was check out the Allsop Wrist Rest.  It moves on sliders and uses memory foam.

Offline MykB77

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 07:38:23 »
double wow.  I just realized this is for keyboards. sorry.

Offline NwGRich

Offline Tony

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 01:52:29 »

Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 20:09:35 »
The Filco two-tiered leather wrist rest is the best.   http://www.amazon.com/Filco-FKBPR-Wristrest-Standard-Keyboards/dp/B000KJTP4S

My second place recommendation would be the 3M gel one.  However, it's made of "leatherette" and not leather, and it's 19inches long, although it works fine with TKL (just sticks out a bit on left side).  On the plus side however, the 3M is much cheaper than other alternatives, and the gel is very comfy.   http://www.amazon.com/3M-Leatherette-Antimicrobial-Protection-WR310LE/dp/B000WU4H5C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358388485&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+gel+wrist+rest
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 01:40:19 »
Mashing something into your wrist while you type is horrifically unhealthy.

If you type a lot while doing that then you are guaranteed to damage your body at some point.

Mashing something hard into your wrist is worse than mashing something soft into it.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 01:42:29 »
lol woods the best and its more of a palm rest for me. feels way better than no wrist rest.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 03:50:43 »
I use my cat as a warm furry wrist rest. She's gonna lay there anyway, best to simply go with it.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 03:51:29 »
Just a FYI about the Grifiti fat 12" for 60% boards

this is after 1 month

get the 12" "Notebook Pad" pad instead, doesn't peel

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: wrist rest
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 03:58:58 »
Just a FYI about the Grifiti fat 12" for 60% boards

this is after 1 month

Show Image

get the 12" "Notebook Pad" pad instead, doesn't peel
they say they get different foam sometimes could be due to that?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 04:02:18 »
the 12" "notebook pad"'s that i have owned for 5 months have yet to peel and are made of a harder material than the new "fat" 12" for 60% keyboards

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 10:10:59 »
3-star from EliteKeyboards is very nice.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline verbhal

• twitch.tv/verbhal
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 18:48:09 »
I've been looking into get a wrist rest recently too.  I see that a lot of people use wood and that The Beast makes some pretty nice looking pieces.  How do some of you who use a wood wrist rest like it? 

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 20:05:37 »
I've been looking into get a wrist rest recently too.  I see that a lot of people use wood and that The Beast makes some pretty nice looking pieces.  How do some of you who use a wood wrist rest like it? 
cant use a keyboard properly without one :D

Offline verbhal

• twitch.tv/verbhal
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 21:04:37 »

Oh man I have been doing it wrong this whole time?  I have certainly seen some pretty nice pieces.  Will have to look into it a bit further and maybe give one a shot.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 23:32:42 »

Oh man I have been doing it wrong this whole time?  I have certainly seen some pretty nice pieces.  Will have to look into it a bit further and maybe give one a shot.
lol no that just personal preference for me

Offline minnus

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 21:58:36 »
The Filco two-tiered leather wrist rest is the best.   http://www.amazon.com/Filco-FKBPR-Wristrest-Standard-Keyboards/dp/B000KJTP4S

My second place recommendation would be the 3M gel one.  However, it's made of "leatherette" and not leather, and it's 19inches long, although it works fine with TKL (just sticks out a bit on left side).  On the plus side however, the 3M is much cheaper than other alternatives, and the gel is very comfy.   http://www.amazon.com/3M-Leatherette-Antimicrobial-Protection-WR310LE/dp/B000WU4H5C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358388485&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+gel+wrist+rest

I have both of these (the Filco, and the 'leatherette').

LOVE the Filco - the stepped format is surprisingly comfortable.

The 3M is great for a while, but will eventually develop a bend. I bought two of these, one for a buddy, and one for my girlfriend. They both started bending around the left hand (by bend, the left edge starts developing an upwards angle, and will not sit flat on the desk). Doesn't bother my girlfriend, but it irks the heck out of me.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 22:35:48 »
I can't imagine a hardwood wrist rest being comfortable.  I think my gel one is too hard.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 22:42:54 »
I can't imagine a hardwood wrist rest being comfortable.  I think my gel one is too hard.
are you putting too much weight on your writs possibly?

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 08:47:03 »
That is your body telling you "This is bad for you.  Stop what you are doing immediately."
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:01:55 »
Show Image

This really is a How Not To picture

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:10:32 »

I don't want to be awkward, but I have to ask - do you have any qualifications in ergonomics or have you made any attempt to verify that your designs are safe or to make sure that users are properly educated? Even ergonomically designed  rests are at best a hack for relieving shoulder tension in poor fitting workstations  - the real answer is an adjustable workstation and chair: http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/office/wrist.html - and they trade off reduced shoulder tension for an increased risk of carpal tunnel. I know wristrests are widely sold - but I think most ergonomics professionals (I'm not one, but I have read professional guidlines and studies) would say that they should only be used very carefully, if at all.

« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:49:56 by TheGreatAmphibianPling »

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 14:50:54 »
Show Image

This really is a How Not To picture
I agree.  Its scary.
He is mashing his tendons into his carpal bones on both hands.

And he is mashing his arm into the semisharp pointed corner of the table!!!  Argh!

That picture reminded me why I installed a tilted desk!  At least that way when my arm lays on the desk its going down a tilt and the pressure is spread out over an area about 100x larger than the pressure point of his arm on the edge of his table.

Offline spherific

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 04:14:00 »
I have a 3M Gel Wrist Rest that's used for my keyboard (HKKB) and mouse. It's really soft and will last a long time. They're antibacterial, whatever that means.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 23:03:06 »
That is your body telling you "This is bad for you.  Stop what you are doing immediately."
I have heavy arms :P

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 19:24:04 »
get supports that have springs that you hang form the cieling and take some weight off your wrist rest :D

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 19:58:11 »
get supports that have springs that you hang form the cieling and take some weight off your wrist rest :D

They actually make those for tools and factory workers.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 13:08:31 »
I use the grafiti fat for 60 % boards. So far no problems, had it a few weeks I guess.
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline Djankie

wrist rest
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 02:18:10 »
Just bought a filco wrist wrest and it feels and smells amazing.. Expensive though. But ill be using it mire than 8 hours per day which justifies it.

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 15:11:56 »
I've had the grifiti fat 12 inch for about 4 months or so now and it works great for me. Not too soft, and no peeling problems yet. Plus it's fairly cheap so even if you don't like it you don't stand much to lose if you try it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 21:10:09 »
Just bought a filco wrist wrest and it smells amazing.
wut?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
wrist rest
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 21:24:26 »
Just bought a filco wrist wrest and it smells amazing.
wut?

New leather smell?

Offline DrakeMegrim

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 18:08:09 »
I use a wrist rest that has the plastic beads on it.  I've tried just about everything else and this was the only kind I found to be comfortable.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 23:28:26 »
Just bought a filco wrist wrest and it feels and smells amazing.. Expensive though. But ill be using it mire than 8 hours per day which justifies it.

I bet you have a $3,000,000 clothing budget.