Author Topic: Rounded keyboard buttons ?  (Read 4470 times)

Offline no13gz

Rounded keyboard buttons ?
« on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 11:45:53 »
I am currently looking for some rounded (but still square) keyboard buttons . I believe a substancial amount of rounding is essential for both comfortability , ergonomics and efficiency . The reasons are as follows , 1: It allows the user to feel where on the key he is hitting , 2 : It adds contact area when not hitting the perfect sweetspot , & 3: It makes it less likley to hit the wrong key and-or two keys at the same time . The rounding should both be on the four corners and on the eight sides . It should not be too round because too much gap would neither be good .

Can anyone help me move torwards the right direction with this ? I want to build a keyboard because of my huge dissatisfaction with all the keyboards i've ever tried and-or found available to buy . This is my first part of research for building my first keyboard , so i am currently all ears for all info .
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 July 2016, 11:50:20 by no13gz »

Offline Findecanor

Re: Rounded keyboard buttons ?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 13:59:29 »
Do you mean "spherical keycaps" where the top surface has a concave spherical shape?

They do exist for Cherry MX switches. Filco made a keycap set a few years ago. Many runs of custom keycaps sets are in Signature Plastics' "SA profile" that is spherical.

For Topre, Topre Realforce has had "Hi-pro" keyboards with spherical keycaps.