Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1237988 times)

Offline Dox

[Interest Check] Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 17:24:41 »
I like the HDMI cable idea a lot! I will order a few connectors and check the possibilities.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline Parak

« Reply #251 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 20:12:56 »
Quote from: Dox;483408
I like the HDMI cable idea a lot! I will order a few connectors and check the possibilities.

Here is one of the few TH ones, but it's with a panel mount (meh). Haven't yet been able to find others (that are purchasable), so it's all SMD otherwise.

Offline Kindari

« Reply #252 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 11:42:25 »
Quote from: Parak;483480
Here is one of the few TH ones, but it's with a panel mount (meh). Haven't yet been able to find others (that are purchasable), so it's all SMD otherwise.

If it's just a matter of pins, I think Dual Link DVI Cables have even more - something like 29 pins (24 on the normal array, + 5 by way of the little dash pin with 4 regular pins around it). I am NOT an engineer :) .

EDIT: Also, what about wireless? Or am I just nuts. Like one receiver (USB) both halves connect to it. Or, the left half connects to the right half wireless, and the right half is USB to the computer.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 January 2012, 12:17:41 by Kindari »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #253 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 12:53:59 »
True, DVI-I may have more pins, but it's huge in comparison to HDMI.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Parak

« Reply #254 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 15:42:57 »
Quote from: Kindari;483872
EDIT: Also, what about wireless? Or am I just nuts. Like one receiver (USB) both halves connect to it. Or, the left half connects to the right half wireless, and the right half is USB to the computer.

Wireless is way too difficult to implement, and is complete overkill in this scenario. There's just a simple need to bring over the matrix pins.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #255 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 20:41:35 »
Quote from: Dox;483081
3: There is no place for those beefy connectors and there is no place for a retractable cable in the case.

I hate retractable cables too, but the beefy connectors are available at mouser. I'll get a part number soon.

Edit: They're 3M products:
The 3000 and D3000 (right angle) series latech-eject headers: Here's the wibsite:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Interconnect/Home/Products/ProductCatalog/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230O73D0ISNF9B3C3SI1000000_nid=D05Z5KX2YTit813Z8QWZB1glM0016ZP9KZbl
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Interconnect/Home/Products/ProductCatalog/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230O73D0ISNF9B3C3SI1000000_nid=PJBGTPPC88it813Z8QWZB1gl6W3K94MBQHbl

And a link to other 3M solutions:
http://www.digikey.com/product-highlights/us/en/3m-tenth-inch-headers/555

Really, instead of improperly using an existing standard cable (HDMI) for a use it's not intended, we should be using standard connectors that are meant to do what we want. What will happen if I plug my TV up to this by mistake? Sure, I'd be stupid to do that, but what if a kid gets it? Mistakes can be made. I prefer .100 pin headers anyway, and everyone likes strain relief.

Plus you can use rainbow cables to great effect (or black/grey, if you want). These pin headers come in 10-64 positions, so we can get one exactly the right length. They're easy to terminate, and look awesome. You can't go wrong!
---
Anyway, that's what I think we should do. Misusing the HDMI spec (much as I dislike it) just irks me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 January 2012, 21:22:23 by dorkvader »

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #256 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 21:11:39 »
I'd recommend not using any cables other than USB for the connection. If you want one side to connect to the other hang a hub off the one with a port off the back for the other to plug into. Most controllers (all I've seen at least) stick a hub first thing in the chain anyhow. Anyhow non USB cables will come back to haunt us for sure (always did in my experience at least). About the VID/PID don't try and get custom, ain't gonna happen. There are some generic blocks we can co-op I believe (been a while since I messed with this).

Edit: Yeah, two controllers, one with a hub if you like (nice esthetic but I don't personally care) and input USB port or two (can hang the local mouse off the other if you like - Kinesis does this). No ribbons, that'll be messy - to solder and maintain. No other cables, needs emphasis, you'll be chasing down all sorts of nasty issues (reliability, specs, etc)

Edit-Edit: Caught KPS's post. "Doesn't work on OS X, which treats separate keyboards as fully independent — a modifier on one doesn't affect others." Right. Maybe USB-HOST? Darn, might have to rethink this, cables scare me (must be a bad childhood experience)

Missed this comment earlier from dorkvadar "Architect: you prefer the maltron thumb area?
http://www.maltron.com/media/hi-res/..._tb_black1.jpg

I don't see how we can add that, but a 1x key out between the 2x thumbkeys and the normal keyboard keys is surely possible. Maybe that's what we're after?"

Yeah I'm good. I never realized that about the Maltron - never tried one either. Anyhow I love the design now, don't change a thing, just be careful with the cables (and I'm good for three, yikes ...)

Personal commitment, I'm 1-2P (1 with 2 more pretty sure, didn't realize how much DIY is involved (too busy to DIY these days)). Put me down for having somebody do the soldering, thanks.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 January 2012, 21:31:00 by Architect »
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline Dox

« Reply #257 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 19:59:25 »
Connectors:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37015[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37016[/ATTACH]

1: Ribbon connected on the PCB with an external connector
Pros: trough hole soldering, easy cable length modification, can use a verity of connector outside the case (DB15 in the example).
Cons: cable coming out of the case.

I did some test, with the ribbon cable in shrink wrap, it wouldn't be too bad.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37017[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37018[/ATTACH]

2: HDMI connector
Pros: Compact, detachable cable at the case, multiple cables available, less DIY.
Cons: Not the intended use, some people might plug it into a tv :der:, SMT soldering might be hard or impossible for some.

3: Beefy 3M connector
Pros: Solid, detachable connection at the case.
Cons: Size (it fits in the case but I think it's overkill)

There is nothing like the prefect connector.

Offline Barn

« Reply #258 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 20:26:21 »
Quote from: vASILII;486266
It is not fair

What are you talking about?

Offline sordna

« Reply #259 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 20:54:54 »
Spambot, he made an identical post in another thread. Reported!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Barn

« Reply #260 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 20:56:16 »
Quote from: sordna;486318
Spambot, he made an identical post in another thread. Reported!

I've reported too. :banplease: Wow... you guys have some strange smileys.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #261 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 21:44:48 »

Dox, what is that cable connecting to the Teensy?  Do you have a link to where I can buy one?  I like it that it doesn't have the rubber arond the connector.  Thanks.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #262 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 23:57:49 »
Quote from: kps;483157
I don't think there are any off-the-shelf parts that would let you power the remote unit over fiber.

Quote from: litster;486365

Dox, what is that cable connecting to the Teensy?  Do you have a link to where I can buy one?  I like it that it doesn't have the rubber arond the connector.  Thanks.
Looks to me like a normal USB, but with the rubber taken off (or just not put on). I'll check mouser.
---
Forget mouser: here's some digikey:
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/UX40A-MB-5P/H2958-ND/597534
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/UX40-MB-5P/H2955-ND/597531
---

Dox: I'm in favor of the massive 3M connector: It's great! but I also think option #1 will work just fine. Still, if it's available, why not go all out?

As I mentioned before, I don't think #2 HDMI is a good idea: too much con go wrong: not enough foolproofing. Maybe if we used an uncommon standard like 13W3, it'd work out.

You're right: finding the right corrector is hard, but if you can have it, it's amazing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 January 2012, 00:00:46 by dorkvader »

Offline litster

« Reply #263 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 00:14:09 »
Quote from: dorkvader;486437
Looks to me like a normal USB, but with the rubber taken off (or just not put on). I'll check mouser.
---
Forget mouser: here's some digikey:
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/UX40A-MB-5P/H2958-ND/597534
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/UX40-MB-5P/H2955-ND/597531

Thanks Dorkvader!

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #264 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 07:57:51 »
It's a shame they don't have 20 pin mini USB cables, seeing as how they have the connectors.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Parak

« Reply #265 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 10:29:17 »
If an IDC connector fits, that's great. Ribbon cables are ugly, and need to be crimped to length with an appropriate tool (or a hammer..), but can be sleeved during that process to look better-ish. Labor intensive, obviously.

Of course, if something like a DB15 or DB25 fit height-wise, that makes it even more heavy-duty, as those cables are actually better for external applications unlike ribbon cables which are easier to damage. Height is about 0.5" from the PCB for either connector. Cables are fairly common for either one.

I won't get into a debate (which it isn't really as Dox has the last word) which one makes more sense in practical or theoretical terms, especially since I'm still on the fence about getting this board :p

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #266 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 13:14:09 »
Quote from: Parak;486604
If an IDC connector fits, that's great. Ribbon cables are ugly, and need to be crimped to length with an appropriate tool (or a hammer..), but can be sleeved during that process to look better-ish. Labor intensive, obviously.

Of course, if something like a DB15 or DB25 fit height-wise, that makes it even more heavy-duty, as those cables are actually better for external applications unlike ribbon cables which are easier to damage. Height is about 0.5" from the PCB for either connector. Cables are fairly common for either one.

I won't get into a debate (which it isn't really as Dox has the last word) which one makes more sense in practical or theoretical terms, especially since I'm still on the fence about getting this board :p

On the fence?  Hell, it's gorgeous!   Sign up!
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline sordna

« Reply #267 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 13:21:24 »
Wow, 18 pages, 268 posts, this project is becoming the next mini-guru, hopefully with a positive outcome !

BTW, I still think HDMI is worth a try, with cheap cables easily found in any length from 1.5ft and up, it's very attractive.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Dox

« Reply #268 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 19:09:42 »
Unfortunately, a DB15 connector is too big to fit directly in the case.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37122[/ATTACH]

Quote from: sordna;486712
Wow, 18 pages, 268 posts, this project is becoming the next mini-guru, hopefully with a positive outcome !

BTW, I still think HDMI is worth a try, with cheap cables easily found in any length from 1.5ft and up, it's very attractive.

Thanks, I still think HDMI is worth a try too. I'm still waiting for some connectors I ordered last week. I'm not a fan of ribbon cable either, especially in external applications.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #269 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 22:15:56 »
Quote from: Parak;486604
Added :p

Hmm, you're right about ribbon cables. I'll dig through the amphenol section of my mouser catalog and see what I may see. How many conductors were we after?

Offline Dox

« Reply #270 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 06:40:38 »
Quote from: dorkvader;487020
Added :p

Hmm, you're right about ribbon cables. I'll dig through the amphenol section of my mouser catalog and see what I may see. How many conductors were we after?
Something between 13 and 20

Offline Parak

« Reply #271 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 07:08:01 »
Micro-D connectors would work great, except the connectors are $arm and cables are $leg :(

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 07:14:07 »
sticking with HDMI would allow the use of MASSIVE BLING BLING monster cables...1000$ cables, why not? xD

Heres another idea:
Though this might be a little complicated...we could just have two cat5 ports on each halves. It would require sleeving two cat5 cables together, but cat5 cables and connectors are even more readily available then HDMI. It would be possible to make a custom cable with a shrink wrapped ribbon cable that terminates in two cat5 plugs. Personally I like the idea of having the locking tab on the cat5...and with two heads we would have 16 conductors.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #273 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 07:44:46 »
Wonder if there's a dual cat5 block that has the retention tabs on opposite sides.  Easy single hand grip to remove would be nice.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 08:47:23 »
Quote from: Parak;487199
Micro-D connectors would work great, except the connectors are $arm and cables are $leg :(
well put! Made me laugh.

Quote from: alaricljs;487208
Wonder if there's a dual cat5 block that has the retention tabs on opposite sides.  Easy single hand grip to remove would be nice.
You mean like sideways? I've only seen upside up and upside down.

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #275 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 09:01:30 »
Id be happy even if its two single cat5 connectors, I love the damn things :P
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #276 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 09:52:34 »
Quote from: dorkvader;487236
You mean like sideways? I've only seen upside up and upside down.

Doesn't particularly matter what the total block is oriented as, it just needs to fit the pcb/case constraints.  All I'm saying is that having the jacks oriented to each other so that the tabs are on opposite sides would make it easier to unplug the ganged connector.  You could even epoxy the 2 together .
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Parak

« Reply #277 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 10:38:51 »
RJ45 jacks are even taller than DB15 connector, unfortunately, so I don't think they'd work. There's really not much out there that's readily accessible and meets our needs :/

Offline Dox

« Reply #278 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 11:25:25 »
Quote from: Parak;487330
RJ45 jacks are even taller than DB15 connector, unfortunately, so I don't think they'd work. There's really not much out there that's readily accessible and meets our needs :/
Yeah, as you said, RJ45 are even taller than DB15 so there is no chance these will fit in the case.
Look at all these HDMI cables. I think this option might be the best.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #279 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 13:20:22 »
Okay, this is my first post so hi everyone and sorry if this has been said already or is considered blasphemous.

How about making it wireless?
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #280 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 13:32:44 »
Okay, seriously, what's wrong with wireless? :)
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #281 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 13:40:52 »
Nothings wrong with wireless, except I think it's been mentioned and it's rather cost prohibitive since you'll need a total of at least 3 'units'.  1: the receiver on the PC end, 2: left hand board transmitter, 3: right hand board transmitter.  And that's only if you can find a tech that enables you to use 2 transmitters on 1 receiver and process both signals at the same time.  Maybe ZigBee or something similar, but other than names I don't know too much about it.

Then of course you need a controller in each board to give the transmitter something to send, and then a controller on the receiver end to tell the PC what was sent.  ouch, that's a lot of electronic gizmos.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Parak

« Reply #282 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 13:43:51 »
Wireless is too complicated unless there's a volunteer that wants to design the entire controller pcb with wireless built in, and write all the associated (very non-trivial) firmware from scratch :p

Offline litster

« Reply #283 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 15:18:48 »
Quote from: Icarium;487406

Quote from: alaricljs;487411
Nothings wrong with wireless, except I think it's been mentioned and it's rather cost prohibitive since you'll need a total of at least 3 'units'.  1: the receiver on the PC end, 2: left hand board transmitter, 3: right hand board transmitter.  And that's only if you can find a tech that enables you to use 2 transmitters on 1 receiver and process both signals at the same time.  Maybe ZigBee or something similar, but other than names I don't know too much about it.

Then of course you need a controller in each board to give the transmitter something to send, and then a controller on the receiver end to tell the PC what was sent.  ouch, that's a lot of electronic gizmos.

I think Icarium is volunteering.  Seriously.

Offline kps

« Reply #284 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 16:05:45 »
And, as the resident forum troll just unintentionally pointed out, wireless eats batteries, and you'll have your keyboard stop working when you're trying to snipe an auction or apologize to your girlfriend or something, sending you on a futile hunt for replacements, which are each bigger than the DB25 connector that was too bulky in the first place.

Offline Dox

« Reply #285 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 16:14:05 »
Quote from: ripster;487498
Woohoo!  Vote for me often.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?25737-The-OFFICIAL-2012-Troll-Poll!

If you don't have anything constructive to add, I would ask you not to post here.
Thanks in advance!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #286 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 16:46:13 »
Quote from: Icarium;487406

Batteries.

Hmm, just thought of something: we could carry power across two wires (very easy) and send the signals wirelessly. That is, if someone wants to come up with a workable solution that's not too expensive and will fit in the case.

Offline Dox

« Reply #287 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 16:53:31 »
It will definitively not be wireless. I don't want to mess with batteries.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #288 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 17:18:50 »
Well, anyway, I'm interested.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #289 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 18:55:48 »
Haven't read the entire thread, but I'm interested... as long as it comes with its own keys. I don't mind soldering on the switches though if that lowers the price.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #290 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 21:41:50 »
Quote from: ironman31;487605
Haven't read the entire thread, but I'm interested... as long as it comes with its own keys. I don't mind soldering on the switches though if that lowers the price.

I'll add you, though getting keys for it should be pretty easy via WASD, and the A-Z keyboard area can be taken from any cherry MX.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #291 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 21:51:52 »
Quote from: dorkvader;487679
I'll add you, though getting keys for it should be pretty easy via WASD, and the A-Z keyboard area can be taken from any cherry MX.

Ok, I was just worried about finding keys that would fit the layout.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline inaneframe

« Reply #292 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 23:34:04 »
Quote from: Dox;487503
If you don't have anything constructive to add, I would ask you not to post here.
Thanks in advance!

First constructive post in ten pages, look what I found:

http://www.sprintek.com/products/SK5100.aspx

Might even be useful for colemak and dvorak conversions, etc.

Offline boli

« Reply #293 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 02:26:30 »
This keyboard looks very interesting, sort of like a splittable TrulyErgonomic (or split flat Maltron) with thumb keys similar to a Kinesis, sweet! As a Colemak and Kinesis user for about 4 years, and having tried a TrulyErgonomic and liking it but missing the thumb keys, this keyboard looks right up my alley.

I could afford $400, would prefer no soldering, and would require international shipping. Reprogrammability in firmware is a must, as far as I can see this is a given (excellent, because I'd like to make a few adjustments: number row shifted one to the left, arrow keys and second Enter key on the left hand, and command/option/ctrl on the thumb(s), like my current layout). It would have to work properly with OS X.

If I'd like it I'd soon need a second one, too, but I won't order 2 right off the bat without having tried it or someone I trust try and review one.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 January 2012, 02:45:20 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline mjoytan

« Reply #294 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 09:44:36 »
Hiya!

Totally new here, and this caught my eye.  Cannot help but *covet* this lovely keyboard.  Nice work!  I've had the Kinesis Classic and Advantage for over 10 years now, and as much as I love it, this keyboard just looks a whole lot sexier!  Sign me up if you can make it for around $300!  Thanks!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #295 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 19:46:41 »
Quote from: inaneframe;487766

Wow, that looks pretty good! I looked on their order page, and I only see evaluation boards. I don't know where we can get the chips, and the company might want us to order 1,000 of them.

Quote from: boli;487822
This keyboard looks very interesting, sort of like a splittable TrulyErgonomic (or split flat Maltron) with thumb keys similar to a Kinesis, sweet! As a Colemak and Kinesis user for about 4 years, and having tried a TrulyErgonomic and liking it but missing the thumb keys, this keyboard looks right up my alley.

I could afford $400, would prefer no soldering, and would require international shipping. Reprogrammability in firmware is a must, as far as I can see this is a given (excellent, because I'd like to make a few adjustments: number row shifted one to the left, arrow keys and second Enter key on the left hand, and command/option/ctrl on the thumb(s), like my current layout). It would have to work properly with OS X.

If I'd like it I'd soon need a second one, too, but I won't order 2 right off the bat without having tried it or someone I trust try and review one.
I don't know how distribution will go, you may have to order two as a "leap of faith", or there may be more available (like what ragnarock does with his keycaps). I'll put you down for 1-2 if that's okay.

Quote from: mjoytan;487953
Hiya!

Totally new here, and this caught my eye.  Cannot help but *covet* this lovely keyboard.  Nice work!  I've had the Kinesis Classic and Advantage for over 10 years now, and as much as I love it, this keyboard just looks a whole lot sexier!  Sign me up if you can make it for around $300!  Thanks!
I'll add you!

Offline litster

« Reply #296 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 20:02:35 »
Quote from: inaneframe;487766

This looks  like AIKON.  Interesting.

Offline Parak

« Reply #297 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 21:49:23 »
QFN *shudder*. I tried prototyping a usb hub based on a qfn chip - not fun to solder at all, even with a heat gun. Should have gone with a schmartboard or an assembly service in retrospect. Alas, most new chips of interest will come in QFN or at best QFP.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #298 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 23:08:17 »
Even QFP are daunting to me. DIP all the way (or SOIC at the very least)

Offline inaneframe

« Reply #299 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 23:49:02 »
Quote from: dorkvader;488278
Wow, that looks pretty good! I looked on their order page, and I only see evaluation boards. I don't know where we can get the chips, and the company might want us to order 1,000 of them.

This is a negative?

All I have to do is get an evaluation, play with it and get a little bit of investment. . . I could make it worth it. . . talking to the manufacturer now.