Author Topic: [IC] SpaccBoard - 60% Space Invaders PCB | 100% shipped | Extras GB 25.02-07.03  (Read 9853 times)

Offline Gvalch_ca

Hi Geekhack folks!
This is GB announcement on my 60% Space Invaders PCB designed together with Jugizafupe, the SpaccBoard.
You might now this project from reddit since I presented it there half a year ago, but despite this, here we go.

The GB is 100% shipped. It's extras time!
In last few weeks, many people reached me via PMs asking for SpaccBoard extras. I counted the interest and came to a conclution that we have too little extras in-stock to satisfy their demand. Not talking about many people who want SpaccBoard but didn't PM me!
Because of that, we decided to launch a small and fast GB instead of selling extras in-stock. We did a bunch of optimization on our production&fulfillment pipeline to keep this GB simple, and, more importantly, fast. We plan to ship everything out in less than 2 months (compared to 3 months lead time on the December GB).
To be super clear with that, here are pros and cons of our decition.
Pros:
  • Everyone gets a SpaccBoard. No deficit, no FCFS, no raffles.
  • Price is kept on the same level as the main GB. 40$ for the PCB, 15$ for FR4 plate, 40$ for CF plate.
Cons:
  • Lead time is bigger than with in-stock sale. 1.5-2 months, to be accurate.
We believe this decition is the very best we can do for our customers.
Extras GB: Feb. 25 - March 07 - Live now!
So, here we go. To remind you about what SpaccBoard is, here is an IC post with additional details.

Items on extras GB:
  • SpaccBoard PCB - 40$.
  • FR4 traymount plate - 15$.
    There are two layouts:
    - BAE (Big Ass Enter, split backspace, full LShift. Fits NMB RT-101 keycaps)
    - ISO (ISO Enter, split or full backspace, split or full LShift. Fits NMB RT-102 - so-called AT keyboard from German GB - keycaps)
    The color is random. You will get either Red, Black, or new SECRET color.
  • CF plate - 40$.
    Each CF plate is designed and manufactured on your request. You can choose any layout you want, and, moreover, any mounting style you want. Just PM me with your request and I'll draw a plate for you.

Extras GB details:
  • GB dates: Febrary 25 - March 07, 2022.
  • GB lead time: 1.5-2 months.
  • Price: 40 USD per PCB, 15 USD per FR4 plate, 40 USD per CF plate.
  • Registration method: Google form.
  • Payment method: PayPal invoice.
  • Shipping payment: charged separately, right before the shipping. Price is around 10$ for 1 PCB + plate, around 15$ for 2 PCBs + plates.

Dec. GB updates (kept only for archieve reasons):
More
19 December update - THE GB IS CLOSED! Thank you all for participation.

13 December update
The GB post still is not approved. We are very disappointed by the fact that many people who use geekhack and don't use reddit might be unaware of this GB. So, we decided to extend the GB until the end of the week.

New GB timeline: it will be closed at 22:00 GMT+3 December 19.

Because the GB will be probably already closed by the time the geekhack GB post is approved, here are the reddit links for you:
Reddit GB post 1
Reddit GB post 2

And the google form to register on the GB:
GB form

01 December update
The GB is up!
Please visit the GB post for more details. Note: as for 20:45 01 Dec. 2021 (GMT+00) the GB post isn't yet approved.
Also you could find the GB post on reddit.

TL;DR
SpaccBoard is a standard 60% PCB for NMB Hi-Tek 725 "Space Invaders" switches. It fits in most 60% custom keyboards and cases, including those with ai03 unified daughterboard. It features USB Type C port, as well as the JST footprint for ai03 UDB. SpaccBoard comes pre-assembled with all components (except switches), preflashed with VIA firmware (also supports QMK), and manually tested by me.

Also, plates are offered. FR4 traymount plates: 2 layouts - BAE or ISO, and 2 colors - red or black. CF plates: any layout and mount you want, designed on request.

GB dates: December 1 - December 15, 2021. Lead time - 2-3 months.

GB pricing:
  • SpaccBoard PCB - 40 USD
  • FR4 traymount plate - 15 USD
  • Carbon Fiber plate - 40 USD
  • Shipping - depends on your order and location - 7-18 USD. Charged separately, right before the actual shipping.

Space Invaders? What is this?
If you are unfamiliar with Space Invaders (SI) switches, or you lack experience of building vintage custom keyboard, please, read this:
(to save your time, please skip this part if you know what SI are and how to get them)
More
To get initial info about Space Invaders (SI) switches, please read this article on deskthority.

As you can see from it, SI are vintage switches with their unique footprint and keycap mount. Yes, they are not compatible with any MX or Alps or whatever PCB, and they are not compatible with MX or Alps or whatever keycaps.
So, developing of a compatible PCB for SI was necessary. And this is how SpaccBoard was born.

For those who don't have much experience with building a custom keyboard with vintage switches, I want to clarify some questions.

Q: Why should I be interested in SI custom keyboard?
A: My personal opinion is that building custom keyboards with non-MX switches is very interesting. After trying Alps, SMK, SI, Topre, Buckling springs, and some other switch types I personally feel like all MX switches are almost the same. They have overall similar sound and feel. Yes, of course, MX switches are different from each other, but these differences are so minor compared to differences between any MX switch and, say, any SI or Omron or %insert_switch_name% switch. Trying out new switch types broadens your mind.
Also, building a vintage custom feels like building something unique. Everyone can buy expensive board, buy MX switches, buy GMK keyset and make an MX custom. But very less people have passion to build a vintage custom, and all vintage customs are unique and unrepeatable.
I hope my answer convinced you to try to build an SI custom.

Q: How to get SI? Looks like they are no longer produced and nobody sells them.
A: You have to buy a vintage keyboard and source switches from it.

Q: OK, and what about SI keycaps?
A: Usually they are sourced from the same keyboard as switches.

Q: Where do I buy SI keyboard to harvest switches and keycaps?
A: Common options are eBay, TaoBao and your local thrift stores.
Also, recently 2400 new old stock SI keyboards were found in Germany and sold for 1¢ each. Many thanks to Inozenz for organizing this beautiful GB! If you missed it, no problem. First, Inozenz will sell around 400 boards on the next round of that GB. And second, many people took much more keyboards than they actually need, so expect to see lots of cheap deals on eBay and r/mm soon.
More info on mentioned GB.

Q: I looked trough this IC page and found that layout compatibility is pretty poor. Where is my split RShift? Where is my ANSI bottom row or split spacebar?
A: Please remember that the only keycaps available for SI are those found on vintage keyboards. So we are quite limited in terms of layouts. But don't be worried: all the layouts that are common on SI keyboards are supported by SpaccBoard. This includes ISO and BAE enter, split and full backspace, split and full left shift, tsangan and XT bottom row. Also stepped modifier keys from RT-101+ and ANSI enter are supported, if you are lucky enough to find keyboards with these keycaps.

Q: What is your go-to recommendation for SI keyboard to get switches and caps from?
A: I recommend you RT-102 (so-called AT) from the mentioned GB. There were more than 1000 of them on this GB, so they will become very common and cheap soon. RT-102 is an ISO keyboard with split LShift and full backspace.
Also you can try to find RT-101 on eBay or TaoBao, they cost around 40-100 USD depending on condition. RT-101 is a BAE keyboard with full LShift and split backspace.

SpaccBoard main features
To see the photos of the SpaccBoard, click here:
More

• Compatibility. Universal 60% PCB. Fits in most 60% cases (TOFU, Klippe T, Fjell, Bakeneko, Salvation...) and in some 60% keyboards (HEX.3C, Prophet, Thermal, S58m, etc.) Supports ai03's Unified Daughterboard.
  • Programmability. QMK & VIA supported. Already merged into QMK and VIA masters. Preflashed with VIA firmware.
  • Appearance. SpaccBoard has nice silkscreen and awesome routing (with filleted traces!). Check photos.
  • Layouts. Wide layouts support. Fits BAE, ANSI and ISO, as well as stepped mods from NMB RT101+. Check this:
  • Development. SpaccBoard development started more than 6 months ago. Since that time, we went through multiple prototyping stages and one private GB with over 30 satisfied customers. We believe that now SpaccBoard is a perfect product, and we are proud to launch this GB.

SpaccBoard plates
SI require a special plate, they are not compatible with MX plates. We weren't we if we'd leave you uncovered.
So, the plates will be available on this GB, too.

You can see the photos of the plates here on Imgur.

There will be 2 plate types:

1. FR4 traymount plates.
They will be available for two layouts:
- BAE: Big Ass Enter, full left shift, split or full backspace
- ISO: ISO enter, split or full left shift, split or full backspace
And two colors:
- Red
- Black

2. Carbon Fiber plates.
Each CF plate will be designed on your request. Any layout you want, and any mount you want. If your keyboard is not a traymount, this is your go-to option. Just provide me your plate drawing, and I will design and manufacture a CF SI plate for you.

If you don't want to buy plates from us, feel free to cut them yourself. All the drawings are open sourced on my GitHub. Just remember that SI require 1.2 mm thick plate.

Our inspiration
In this paragraph, we want to appreciate all the support coming from our customers. As I said earlier, we sold SpaccBoards on a private GB to more than 30 people. Their feedback and satisfaction is very inspiring and motivating.
We want to share with you some of their SpaccBoard builds to show you how mighty this PCB is and how beautiful SI custom keyboards can be. We hope that these awesome builds will inspire you to build your own SI 60% custom board.
More
huygn's build in Bakeneko60. He used keycaps from RT-101+ (just look at these beautiful stepped modifier keys!). huygn said that Bakeneko's assemby was a tight fit (because SI are bigger than MX, and less space for o-ring is available), but the o-ring mount is functioning fine.

FearsomeCubedWarrior's unfinished ISO build. He used keycaps and switches from one of those 2400 1 euro NOS SI keyboards from Germany. And he is the one who tested ISO compatibility of SpaccBoard for us. Many thanks to you, morti!

Our very own SpaccBoard. Case is BBOX60, switches and caps are from RT-101. Photos by Jugizafupe.

GB announcement
I will be brief here.[/size]
  • GB dates: December 1 - December 15, 2021.
  • GB lead time: 2-3 months.
  • Shipping payment: charged separately, right before the shipping. Depending on recent GA15.0 GB (finished 2 weeks ago), the shipping costs will be 7 - 18 USD depending on how much boards you got and on your location.
GB post with Google Form will be published on December 1, both here and on Reddit.
Please be prepared that you will be required to leave me your geekhack or Reddit username. I will use it to contact you later about the shipping details.

Special thanks
  • To Jugizafupe, for designing this PCB with me
  • To Inozenz, for running awesome GB, handling 2400 (over 5 tons!!!) keyboards for free, and making SI popular and widely available
  • To FearsomeCubedWarrior aka morti, for testing ISO compatibility and overall support
  • To NeonKnight, Funnycolorsman92, huygn, andj00 and many other people who supported me on the private SpaccBoard GB (don't be sad if I didn't mention you here, I remember you all))
  • To "Пансионат OTD Кудар", an awesome local chat with awesome people, who inspired me to start designing keyboards-related stuff

=======

No IC form here, because the project is finished and ready for GB, I just didn't post it on geekhack for some reason, but you can follow the story of it on reddit.
Please comment with your thoughts.

Many thanks for reading this post.
Gvalch'ca & Jugizafupe
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 February 2022, 02:46:40 by Gvalch_ca »
Lead Keyboard Cringeneer.
Alps and Space Invaders enthusiast.

Offline keyten

Re: [IC] SpaccBoard - a 60% Space Invaders PCB | GB December 01-15
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 12:16:12 »
mah boi

Offline Gvalch_ca

Offline Pyroo

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 18:27:17 »
You love to see it
Bunny enthusiast

Offline kw88

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 12:44:20 »
ne split spacebar avail

Offline Gvalch_ca

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 13:20:05 »
ne split spacebar avail

ne split spacebar avail

Offline gnhuy91

[IC] SpaccBoard - a 60% Space Invaders PCB | GB December 01-15
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 November 2021, 07:28:54 »

fit perfectly on Bakeneko, I'll be getting 2 more pcbs this time for ISO builds!
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 November 2021, 08:02:31 by gnhuy91 »

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 November 2021, 10:44:13 »
Cool project, GLWIC/GB

Offline Gvalch_ca

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 10:25:25 »
Show Image

fit perfectly on Bakeneko, I'll be getting 2 more pcbs this time for ISO builds!

thank you bro!

Offline Gvalch_ca

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 10:26:12 »

Offline Applet

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 13:08:13 »
Yeah, very cool. GL with IC/GB  ;D

Offline plag

• Formerly pepperonichicken
  • i also go by plag
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 16:33:27 »
looks great! very excited for this!

Offline Gvalch_ca

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 01:47:15 »
Yeah, very cool. GL with IC/GB  ;D

Thank you for an approval, dear Mr. Applet! I am a huge fan of your PCB designs.

Btw, if you are interested, you have a role in bringing me to vintage community. One day I saw Canon S-16 keycaps on r/mm and was interested if I can build a custom 60% with them. Then huygn (who is also on this thread as gnhuy91) suggested me to use Steezy60.
And here I am - this is Steezy60 with SS plate, SKCM Creams and Canon S-16 keycaps in Mekanisk Klippe T R4 Ultramarine, my first custom with vintage switches:
More
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 November 2021, 01:49:37 by Gvalch_ca »

Offline Gvalch_ca

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 01:48:55 »
looks great! very excited for this!

Thank you!

Offline Applet

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 05:59:33 »
Thank you for an approval, dear Mr. Applet! I am a huge fan of your PCB designs.

Btw, if you are interested, you have a role in bringing me to vintage community. One day I saw Canon S-16 keycaps on r/mm and was interested if I can build a custom 60% with them. Then huygn (who is also on this thread as gnhuy91) suggested me to use Steezy60.
And here I am - this is Steezy60 with SS plate, SKCM Creams and Canon S-16 keycaps in Mekanisk Klippe T R4 Ultramarine, my first custom with vintage switches:
More
Show Image
Thanks for sharing! The main inspiration/idea for steezy60 was to enable use of old cool caps that have unusual layout, love to see builds like that one. Really pretty board  ;D

Offline Gvalch_ca

GB is now live!

Geekhack GB post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115504.0
(As for 20:45 01 Dec. (GMT+00) it is not yet approved)

Reddit GB post: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/r6i7vn/

Offline Gvalch_ca

GB post is still not approved!

Mods, please, do something about it, GB finishes in 5 days.

GB post on reddit for those who are interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/r6i7vn/

Offline Gvalch_ca

13 December update
The GB post still is not approved. We are very disappointed by the fact that many people who use geekhack and don't use reddit might be unaware of this GB. So, we decided to extend the GB until the end of the week.

New GB timeline: it will be closed at 22:00 GMT+3 December 19.

Because the GB will be probably already closed by the time the geekhack GB post is approved, here are the reddit links for you:
Reddit GB post 1
Reddit GB post 2

And the google form to register on the GB:

GB form

Offline kw88

ne extras avail

Offline Gvalch_ca

The GB is closed. Thank you all for participation.

All updates will be posted both here and reddit.

Offline Gvalch_ca

GB thread was approved.

All GB updates will be posted there.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115504.0

Offline Gvalch_ca

Extras GB: Feb. 25 - March 07
For several reasons, we decided to launch a new, quick (1.5-2 months) GB instead of selling extras in-stock. Learn more in the GB post with additional details.

Items on extras GB:
  • SpaccBoard PCB - 40$.
  • FR4 traymount plate - 15$.
    There are two layouts:
    - BAE (Big Ass Enter, split backspace, full LShift. Fits NMB RT-101 keycaps)
    - ISO (ISO Enter, split or full backspace, split or full LShift. Fits NMB RT-102 - so-called AT keyboard from German GB - keycaps)
    The color is random. You will get either Red, Black, or new SECRET color.
  • CF plate - 40$.
    Each CF plate is designed and manufactured on your request. You can choose any layout you want, and, moreover, any mounting style you want. Just PM me with your request and I'll draw a plate for you.

Extras GB details:
  • GB dates: Febrary 25 - March 07, 2022.
  • GB lead time: 1.5-2 months.
  • Shipping payment: charged separately, right before the shipping. Price is around 10$ for 1 PCB + plate, around 15$ for 2 PCBs + plates.

Offline Gvalch_ca

Extras GB form is up: https://forms.gle/PYeiweQHXgZk8Ea88
Don't miss your chance to get a SpaccBoard.