Author Topic: [IC] GMK Monorange (GB Date delay due to GMK)  (Read 38009 times)

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
Re: [IC] GMK Natsu
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 10 August 2021, 15:05:24 »
I kind of dig this but changing a set's name to fit hiragana subs is a new one

Offline AstralYT

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 16:42:01 »
Aw man I assumed this set to be fairy tail inspired

Sadge

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline redamankey

• Hee
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 02:52:58 »
Just wondering around the double pipe key for ISO layout.
Is it worth just making it Terminal/US ISO with R3 [\|] and R4 [><]?
For US user, I would use ANSI standard. The ISO keys I put in Base kit is for UK minimum ISO layout.

Offline redamankey

• Hee
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 02:56:44 »
I changed the theme of keyset to Japanese theme, check it out if you're interest and please fill the IC form for me to improve the keyset.

why lol, there's no need other than "i want hiragana sublegends!!".
Hi dudeship, you are a great designer. I joined your GB KAT Great Way and I am excited about it.
Yeah honestly I just want Hiragana sublegends. But I'm trying to be professional man ;-;

Offline redamankey

• Hee
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 03:02:05 »
And for anyone would change the 40s kit. I will review it and it will have a little change.

Offline redamankey

• Hee
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 03:11:11 »
Aw man I assumed this set to be fairy tail inspired

Sadge

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
If that set exists, I would name it "Natsu Dragneel" instead of just "Natsu". (I'm a fan of Fairy Tail too)

Offline Dyto69

• 420 blaze it but dont forget 69
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 05:34:10 »
I don't know why, but I kinda like it, reminds me of striker but in orange. I personally have no use for that bright orange, but I could imagine it looks good on some boards. GLWIC

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 06:59:02 »
You forgot to put 1.75u backspace and 1.5u enter in your 40s kit.

Offline udller

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 13 August 2021, 10:58:52 »
i d buy this :)

Offline redamankey

• Hee
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 14 August 2021, 03:25:11 »
You forgot to put 1.75u backspace and 1.5u enter in your 40s kit.
Yes I'm reviewing it and will put the missing key to 40s kit.

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 14 August 2021, 14:41:21 »
I kind of dig this but changing a set's name to fit hiragana subs is a new one
is it though?

Offline derEineTyp

• -just a random-
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 01:23:12 »
God please change the mods color to white, my eyes dude

Offline redamankey

• Hee
Re: [IC] GMK Natsu (Checkout Novelties)
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 11:32:25 »
Please give me your opinion on Novelties.

Offline Rumblethumps

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 12:44:08 »
I know a ton of people have commented on how the sudden change to a Japanese name with hiragana was kinda out of nowhere and random, but with the novs it's even more confusing. A set with a Japanese name, hiragana subs, and Japan-inspired novelties, but in the description you said it was inspired by the sunsets in Sicily?  :confused:

They look alright though. I like the chemical formula one.

Offline redamankey

• Hee
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 13:14:26 »
I know a ton of people have commented on how the sudden change to a Japanese name with hiragana was kinda out of nowhere and random, but with the novs it's even more confusing. A set with a Japanese name, hiragana subs, and Japan-inspired novelties, but in the description you said it was inspired by the sunsets in Sicily?  :confused:

They look alright though. I like the chemical formula one.

Yeah the beginning of the idea is coming from Sicily. But to avoid the keyset from flop and potentially not reaching the MOQ (even though the MOQ is only 150) so I want to change the theme to Japan insprired. And more importantly I am weeb. Thanks for your reply.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 13:33:04 »
Because this is orange and has the R4 "|\" key (terminal ISO bad) I am willing to overlook the sudden pivot to Japenese theme. Realistically though I think you will struggle with two base sets, and the novelties are kinda all over the place...

Offline iamtienng

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 14:02:19 »
Because this is orange and has the R4 "|\" key (terminal ISO bad) I am willing to overlook the sudden pivot to Japenese theme. Realistically though I think you will struggle with two base sets, and the novelties are kinda all over the place...

Let me do a research for a few day for the R4 "| \" key and I will update the base kit.

Offline potato.jpg

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 14:47:39 »
When I saw the name and color, I thought this set was based on “amanatsu” (甘夏 which directly translates to sweet summer). It’s basically a Japanese orange. Anyway, not sure if you’re aware of the fruit, but it could potentially be a good pivot if you went full in on an amanatsu theme since amanatsu is used in a juices and ice creams and candies. It might give this set a more cohesive feel compared to having a mix of orange slices and torii and what looks like Mt. Fuji.

Offline XiXora

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 15:11:07 »
For US user, I would use ANSI standard. The ISO keys I put in Base kit is for UK minimum ISO layout.
I am a UK ISO user. Double pipe is just a random set of keys to me 😅
Would just rather follow a layout than none at all.

Offline redamankey

• Hee
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 20:05:07 »
When I saw the name and color, I thought this set was based on “amanatsu” (甘夏 which directly translates to sweet summer). It’s basically a Japanese orange. Anyway, not sure if you’re aware of the fruit, but it could potentially be a good pivot if you went full in on an amanatsu theme since amanatsu is used in a juices and ice creams and candies. It might give this set a more cohesive feel compared to having a mix of orange slices and torii and what looks like Mt. Fuji.

Aww Amanatsu is such a beautiful name. I asked some of my Japanese friends but no one give me that name. And also your suggestion about the theme of novelties is so useful, I will think about it seriously.

Offline redamankey

• Hee
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 20:27:40 »
I am a UK ISO user. Double pipe is just a random set of keys to me 😅
Would just rather follow a layout than none at all.

After I read this: Why Do Keycap Sets have so many Copies of the Backslash‑Pipe Key?
I will add the "> <" key to the base, it will take a few days for me.

Offline redamankey

• Hee
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 19:59:07 »
R4 [><] key updated.

Offline Hakatype

Re: [IC] GMK Natsu (Checkout Novelties, R4 [><] key)
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 23:33:53 »
I'm gonna go on a limb and suggest that if you're going to use hiragana sublegends and Japanese imagery, that you do your due diligence to pick something that's a bit more fleshed out in terms of your theme. It's not wrong to have your set include Japanese sublegends because you want it to, nor would it be my place to tell you not to make a set with a Japanese theme. But in your current state, your novelties and treatment of the Japanese cultural icons are questionable. It'd just be nice if your set wasn't slapping on religious imagery just for aesthetic purposes without regards for what or why they exist. Especially in conjunction with the soap thing. It'd be like making an Italian themed set with pizza novelties next to a few crosses next to the chemical symbol of charcoal, if you're catching my drift.

In the interest of not tearing you down completely, I'd definitely echo what the other person said and suggest pivoting to an orange theme. My recommendation is mikan, which is a variety of citrus that's close to a tangerine and very culturally significant. Hopefully you can take that direction! But please do your due diligence to research before you make changes to this set.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 August 2021, 23:37:40 by Hakatype »

Offline haydoselefantes

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 22 August 2021, 18:51:06 »
love this set, love the new colorway with V2 and WS1!  excited for the GB

Offline redamankey

• Hee
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 17:29:47 »
I'm gonna go on a limb and suggest that if you're going to use hiragana sublegends and Japanese imagery, that you do your due diligence to pick something that's a bit more fleshed out in terms of your theme. It's not wrong to have your set include Japanese sublegends because you want it to, nor would it be my place to tell you not to make a set with a Japanese theme. But in your current state, your novelties and treatment of the Japanese cultural icons are questionable. It'd just be nice if your set wasn't slapping on religious imagery just for aesthetic purposes without regards for what or why they exist. Especially in conjunction with the soap thing. It'd be like making an Italian themed set with pizza novelties next to a few crosses next to the chemical symbol of charcoal, if you're catching my drift.

In the interest of not tearing you down completely, I'd definitely echo what the other person said and suggest pivoting to an orange theme. My recommendation is mikan, which is a variety of citrus that's close to a tangerine and very culturally significant. Hopefully you can take that direction! But please do your due diligence to research before you make changes to this set.

Thank you very much for your opinion.
Your comments made me think for many days to make the final decision to keep the design as simple as possible (like before).

Offline ppatches24

Re: [IC] GMK Monorange (GB Date delay due to GMK)
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 03 January 2024, 08:27:30 »
resing from dead because I need an orange set.

Offline offbrandbiscuit

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 05 January 2024, 05:30:05 »
Instant buy tbh
i like fire trucks and moster trucks

Offline akoster15

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 10:37:32 »
Really hope this set finally has a GB because we need a clean orange GMK set in the hobby.

Offline MoltenKhor

• www.khor.store
    • Khor Store
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 03:43:18 »
Following up, i may be able to make a matching cable if there’s a free collab spot  ^-^

Offline DirtyGingy

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 01 March 2024, 20:30:45 »
I'm guessing this one sort of never came to fruition. But if this ever were to be one of those clear style PBTFans sets like Pyga and Klein blue, I would so be on board for that orange soda fantasy.

Offline IMZO

• Matrix shill, and TKL WKL Lover
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 02 March 2024, 23:42:53 »
Actually love this
More
Current boards: Jane V2 CE , Matrix 1.2og Silver WKL , Matrix 2.0add coating black WKL, Matrix 2.0add WKL Coating yellow, Satisfaction75 R1 Cloud white, Korno65, Bloop65, HHKB Pro 2 white,Lin Whale Pink WKL, Gok 7v White, Gok 7v Black, Orion V3 Silver WKL, Orion V2.5 Red WKL, Geon F1-8x Silver WK, Haus65 BlueGray, Plume65, Vertigo, Frog TKL WKL GreenF13

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 03 March 2024, 03:16:42 »
fra, are we doing this? pls run it

Offline tuesdaygloom

• wait.
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 03 March 2024, 22:09:47 »
would also be very interested in a set if this every ran

Offline MoltenKhor

• www.khor.store
    • Khor Store
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 05 March 2024, 18:01:59 »
Unfortunately, both email and instagram seems to be unused by OP, the only way is to ask to another sicilian fellow to make a similar set

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 06 March 2024, 12:08:18 »
Hi,
So I actually made contact with OP (redamankey/Tien) about 2 months ago, and he confirmed that he has sadly abandoned this project (there are no remaining assets), but he did also give me his blessing for me to revisit the concept and bring it to groupbuy.

It's still a work in progress, which is why I haven't yet created a new topic thread, but I've since re-rendered the base kit with a few changes, and juiced up the novelty kit.
I still trying to figure out what additional kits, besides the spacebar kit, might be viable in the 2024 groupbuy climate, but given that this thread is still semi-active, I thought it'd be a good opportunity to get some early feedback on a resurrection of this project.

<Base Kit>

<Novelty Kit>

There's a few differences I'd like to note compared to OP's GMK Monorange version.
1) I would prefer to use Pantone 151 C as the primary color reference, as opposed to GMK V2 that Monorange was aiming for. However, I'm not super stuck on either color. I do note that V2 is more well-known and it would skip the color matching step with GMK... I'll try to get a photo of V2 compared to the Pantone 151 C so people can see the difference. ePBT Creative studio has some samples of Pantone 151 C as reference.

2) I'm manufacturer agnostic, and currently considering either KKB or WS as the manufacturer for better price/quicker production. If there is a reputable NA vendor willing to support the project as GMK then I'm willing to consider GMK, which would open up exploring R0 to R5 kitting.

3) I'd like to have windowed keys, so I'm considering whether or not they fit into the base kit... it does limit my manu options to GMK or KKB though.

4) I'm wondering if there's interest in a orange legends on white alphas or alternative base kit - aka Classic Orange colourway. I don't think I'll be doing any sublegends to keep it simple/clean.

Re: Base Kit - Pulp
> I've added basic 40s keys support since I suspect it's not really viable to have a separate child kit
> I've added standard alice 2.25/2.75/2.00c spacebars to the base kit, though I'm considering if it's worth separating them and putting them into the extra spacebars kit (with the 2x 3.00c spacebars etc.).
> I've added 2 x R4 1.50 keys for the Mac/HHKB users, however I felt a bit funky, and made the legends 'Orange', instead of the typical 'Super' (or Command). Not sure if people like me forcing the novelty text modifiers here. I also felt like adding 1 x R4 1.25 key with the text 'Orange' as well for a bit more flavor.

Re: Novelties - Juice
> There are simply a lot more novelties for a bit more visual variety. I thought it'd be neat to have enough novelties that could substitute for nav keys for 65%/75%/TKL.  There's actually enough for XT macro column, and could supplement physical coverage for some ortho layouts. This is open to adjustments depending on feedback/pricing (i.e. might cull a white accent novelty key, or 2 x R4 1.0u vertical orange slices)
> The style of the orange slices have been changed to a be simpler/minimal. It was a bit messy trying to keep the original style, whilst trying to add more novelties.
> I've added a Green leaf esc novelty since I thought it would be nice alternative accent instead of white.
> I'm unsure if I should keep the "Harvest" backspace novelties, but it might be a nice subtle touch. I do wonder if the R2 1.50 variant is overkill.
> I decided to go with an orange slice graphic for the enters, instead of the icon+text "<-' Monorange" from OP. Reasoning is that I didn't feel that going a novelty icon text legend really changed much aesthetically. I figured those who prefer a classic clean look will just opt to use the base enter keys, whereas those who like a bit more flavor might find these bigger slices more to their taste.
> "C6H8O6" is a reference to Vitamin C. Monorange's "CH3(CH2)14CO2Na" novelty didn't really make sense thematically to me, due to it representing soap. I'm considering if I should just make this a stepped windowed caps lock key substitute, to satisfy my urge to get a windowed stepped caps lock somewhere. I note that quite a few people re-map their caps lock to function, so having it be a novelty legend keeps it flexible.

Here's an image album of some quick concept renders with the new novelties for a better idea of how they fit alongside the set: https://imgur.com/a/fji5uDM (please note that these renders are a bit outdated).
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 March 2024, 12:25:05 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 06 March 2024, 13:35:05 »
If you want a reputable vendor for GMK I think these kits need to be smaller just to have a chance at selling enough to make it worthwhile.

Small batch TKL sized base kits w no 1.25u bottom row have done well on discord w very low MOQ too.

I love R0/R5 but i know that’s polarizing

Offline MoltenKhor

• www.khor.store
    • Khor Store
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 06 March 2024, 13:48:53 »
At this point seems like a new IC form is needed, also, i was talking with Tien about a collaboration, in case if you're taking the lead of the project hmu

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 06 March 2024, 17:04:28 »
1) I would prefer to use Pantone 151 C as the primary color reference, as opposed to GMK V2 that Monorange was aiming for. However, I'm not super stuck on either color. I do note that V2 is more well-known and it would skip the color matching step with GMK... I'll try to get a photo of V2 compared to the Pantone 151 C so people can see the difference. ePBT Creative studio has some samples of Pantone 151 C as reference.

A rough comparison. Note that monitors are not perfect, nor are these RGB codes.

Offline Fluxius

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 06 March 2024, 18:58:35 »
I like the new Pantone. What do you think about using WS4 instead of WS1 for the legends/accents? The difference may be subtle, but could give a slightly more creamy look.

Kitting looks great to me, i really like the inclusion of second Tab and 2u Shift (rare sight these days). I think the duplicate ~ and R2 \| could be dropped from base. Not sure if the base really needs accents. If the base kit would need to shrink, maybe move the accent arrows to the novelties kit, add a numpad enter accent novelty and remove the other accents? I like the "Orange" Supers, but wouldn't mind regular Supers either.

Novelties design and kitting looks very nice, but would agree to drop the Harvest backspace ones.

Text+Icon mods look a little bit out of place to me. I think i would much prefer Icon mods on this set. It looks cleaner and fits better with the Novelties design.

If it's going to be with GMK, i don't like their windowed caps (uv print only). Also not a fan of forced R5.

I wouldn't be interested in an alternative base. Mono white kits don't seem to do very well in general these days.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 02:31:44 »
My opinions on some of the points (perhaps an IC form would be worth making?):

General thoughts
  • I never really liked 3-key 40s in base, it only supports the minivan layout which I think is kinda the worst layout.
  • I'm not sure about the new color. I understand wanting to move away from V4. I had a cap in that colour and it felt a bit blah to me. I think a richer, more intense orange would be preferable.
  • I would prefer any other option than "><" for the R4 ISO key (UK ISO In base would be amazing, but I'm sure that this won't be a popular opinion)

Novelties

• I think scrap the "harvest" novelty. It's not a word I associate with oranges (feels more "farm"-y to me)
  • The green key is a nice addition. I almost want more green in the set...
  • I think two full columns of orange slices is a bit too much. I think it would be better to see macro keys instead (or fewer novelties, there's just a lot of them so the kit is going to be expensive)

Offline Zahul

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 04:38:35 »
I had honestly written this keycap set off due to the author being inactive. I'm very happy to see that you have picked it up. I'm definitly interested, but I think a new IC page would be a good choice for this keycap set. Love the contract between the orange and the green. I prefer the brighter orange color, but like you mentioned it does make color matching an issue.

GLWIC!!

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 March 2024, 05:12:14 by Zahul »

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 07:19:36 »
Thanks for all the great feedback! I'll try to finalise some renders and create a new topic thread in the coming weekend when I have a bit more time, now that I've taken over this project after getting OP's permission.

re: Orange Color
There's honestly many nice shades of orange, and Pantone 151 C is definitely on the lighter/yellower side compared to others, giving it nice summer vibe and would complement on white keyboards well.
I reckon it feels less tiring on the eyes than the more vivid/brighter saturated oranges like RAL 2017 (RAL Orange) or Pantone Orange 021C (basically blood orange).
Another great reference color code is Pantone 2018 C (on page 30 if you have Pantone formula guide) which is a little more vivid/brighter/intense without it being overpowering. So if people want a more vivid orange, I'm considering pivoting to that instead.

re: White Color
I do think the suggestion of a more ivory white like WS4 is worth considering (used to great effect on GMK Violet on Cream, GMK Maestro and GMK Dandy). However I just note that the white here is primarily used as the accent base color, and wonder if people prefer the stronger contrast/punch of WS1 overall in this context. I do see the appeal of a more muted/creamy white, particularly for legends, but just not sure how I feel about it as an 'accent' colour. It worked for GMK Dandy due to it having a muted green. I'll have to mull over it a bit... and try some renders.

re: Manufacturer
Given that it's pretty simple colourway and I'm not doing any fancy sublegends/modifiers or using a GMK stock color, nor do I want to force R5 kitting, I'm leaning towards pivoting away from GMK and going with a manufacturer which can make it a lot more affordable.
The 3 top contenders are WS, KKB and PBTFans. DCX is also an option, but their base kitting is fixed, with nil 40s support.
WS will probably be the most affordable and quickest, however my kitting options are comparatively relatively restricted compared to the other two (less novelties, no windowed keys, and a separate 40s is unlikely), however it has very aggressive pricing.
KKB has the most flexible kitting, but it's a matter of balancing costs.
For PBTFans, I'd first have to convince them to run it, which is probably the toughest hurdle since they utilise a pre-order/instock model, not groupbuy and already have a reasonably long queue I believe. It would be limited to icon only modifiers for bot row too as the community doesn't particularly like their icon/text modifiers. On the pro-side their doubleshot model kitting structure appears to allow for a lot more novelties than WS, they have windowed keys, and the do a 40s only modifier kit, and also split off the numpad from the base kit. The main negative, is that their estimated production timeline isn't particularly transparent as they've shifted to an in-stock/pre-order model (I'm still waiting for a confirmed production date for PBTFans Atomic Purple atm).
DCX is also a potential option, but I don't think Drop is particularly popular around these parts (despite them owning Geekhack lol).

re: Modifier legends
In the context of this design, given the simple mono colourway and nil sublegends, I don't have a particular preference for either text+icon, or icon legends for the modifier keys. It's been icon+text  due to the "Harvest" and "C6H8O6" novelties, but now those are cut, there's nothing preventing a switch to icon legends. I should probably create an IC form/poll with comparison renders to see what's the general preference.

Base kit v2

re: Base Kit
This is still in a little flux whilst I figure out the manufacturer. I mean most non-GMK manufacturers have rather similar base kits. It's about the minor details such as including 40s support and alice spacebars that appears to be the primary differentiator.
I've decided to cull the second R2 'tab', as there's no separate alphas kit, and decided to change the R4 1.5u 'Orange' text modifiers back to 'Super', given it's a bit of an extra expense for most doubleshot manufacturers to include these custom keys beyond their default OS legends.

Thanks Fluxius for pointing out the accidental inclusion of the duplicate R1 ~ and R2 \| keys.
I think your suggestion of optimisation of removing accent keys are also good points. I'm highly likely to cull the accent arrow keys (nor don't think they're really worth including them in a separate novelties or spacebar kit honestly). I'm a little bit wary of removing the numpad accent enter despite numpad not being used a lot.

I get that 3-keys 40s physical support in base is not fantastic, but it's a pragmatic compromise I guess when most vendors are not optimistic about a separate 40s kit reaching MOQ. I have yet to decide if I should cull the white accent R2 esc key as well.
(If PBTFans is willing to run this, it would make a separate 40s kit viable, but that kit isn't particularly comprehensive and they don't consider it financially viable to expand it further. WS also appears to have shied away from 40s kits too due to prior GB difficulties.)

Novelty kit v3

re: Novelty Kit
I've culled both 'Harvest' backspace novelties, and also 1 of the white accent novelties.
For now I've also removed the "C6H8O6" novelty for stepped caps lock until I get a price quote that it's worth retaining, despite my heavy bias for it.
I do think 2 full columns of orange slices is probably too much for it to be worth the expense, so I have removed 1 complete column of orange slices for cheaper pricing, whilst retaining enough to abtractly represent the nav column keys.
I think this kit is now as trimmed down as I'd like.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2024, 00:42:31 by Bobatype »

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 08:05:34 »
I'll be way less interested in the set if the manu is not going to be GMK

pbtfans/DCX is an instant deal breaker, too.

Offline MoltenKhor

• www.khor.store
    • Khor Store
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 08:07:45 »
Yep, i’m down too, will follow OP if it’ll be ever done by gmk in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zahul

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 09:11:02 »

re: Manufacturer
Given that it's pretty simple colourway and I'm not doing any fancy sublegends/modifiers or using a GMK stock color, nor do I want to force R5 kitting, I'm leaning towards pivoting away from GMK and going with a manufacturer which can make it a lot more affordable.
The 3 top contenders are WS, KKB and PBTFans. DCX is also an option, but their base kitting is fixed, with nil 40s support.
WS will probably be the most affordable and quickest, however my kitting options are comparatively relatively restricted compared to the other two (less novelties, no windowed keys, and a separate 40s is unlikely), however it has very aggressive pricing.
KKB has the most flexible kitting, but it's a matter of balancing costs.
For PBTFans, I'd first have to convince them to run it, which is probably the toughest hurdle since they utilise a pre-order/instock model, not groupbuy and already have a reasonably long queue I believe. It would be limited to icon only modifiers for bot row too as the community doesn't particularly like their icon/text modifiers. On the pro-side their doubleshot model kitting structure appears to allow for a lot more novelties than WS, they have windowed keys, and the do a 40s only modifier kit, and also split off the numpad from the base kit. The main negative, is that their estimated production timeline isn't particularly transparent as they've shifted to an in-stock/pre-order model (I'm still waiting for a confirmed production date for PBTFans Atomic Purple atm).
DCX is also a potential option, but I don't think Drop is particularly popular around these parts (despite them owning Geekhack lol).

Honestly speaking I don't mind KBDFans icons, their icon text isn't the greatest though.

Have you thought of running this set like PBTfans klein R2 or Pyga. Making it an ABS set with the translucent look might be interesting. Either way I'm in as long as it's a cherry profile keycap set!

Offline pelfox

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 09:42:49 »

Show Image

Base kit v2

go with DCX

seriously, just go with DCX

just make this in orange and make use of their novelty tool, lack of 40s is irrelevant since 90% of people asking for it that will comment here don't even buy the sets and even if they did 40s users are irrelevant in comparison with the general audience. for every 40s user there's several thousands of people with normal keyboards out there

also, nobody is paying $120 for 5 months GMK sets anymore, $79 for the huge DCX base kit above is a NO BRAINER, for anyone with 2 brain cells furthermore:

DCX Rocky Bird base kit is being sold for $69 on pre order with a $25 novelty kit, that is $94 for a decently sized BASE KIT + NOVELTY KIT on a great plastic tray

there's no argument to be made that GMK Monorange and other basic sets warrant any other supplier if not DCX, which by the way supports doubleshot PBT

your current base kit is literal DCX base kit minus 4 40s keys, your novelty designs can easily be ported to DCX, don't listen to the Drop/DCX haters that are about to come, they don't even own DCX

they hate on drop so they can look cool on novelkey discord, make this in DCX and I am buying 3 sets
en boca cerrada no entran moscas

Offline Zahul

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 09:49:28 »

Show Image

Base kit v2

go with DCX

Show Image

Show Image

seriously, just go with DCX

just make this in orange and make use of their novelty tool, lack of 40s is irrelevant since 90% of people asking for it that will comment here don't even buy the sets and even if they did 40s users are irrelevant in comparison with the general audience. for every 40s user there's several thousands of people with normal keyboards out there

also, nobody is paying $120 for 5 months GMK sets anymore, $79 for the huge DCX base kit above is a NO BRAINER, for anyone with 2 brain cells furthermore:

Show Image

Show Image

DCX Rocky Bird base kit is being sold for $69 on pre order with a $25 novelty kit, that is $94 for a decently sized BASE KIT + NOVELTY KIT on a great plastic tray

there's no argument to be made that GMK Monorange and other basic sets warrant any other supplier if not DCX, which by the way supports doubleshot PBT

your current base kit is literal DCX base kit minus 4 40s keys, your novelty designs can easily be ported to DCX, don't listen to the Drop/DCX haters that are about to come, they don't even own DCX

they hate on drop so they can look cool on novelkey discord, make this in DCX and I am buying 3 sets

I've tried a few DCX sets and am not a fan personally. There aren't many orange keycap sets that aren't from aliexpress, so would personally prefer a keycap set that is from a manufacturer I prefer. But at the end of the day this is all preference. I wouldn't be interested in a DCX set personally.

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 10:55:05 »
I wouldn't be interested in a DCX set personally.
same, I sold my hyperfuse as legends were so bad. also not a fan of paying import taxes on a product sold solely through an US vendor, any discount I can possibly hope to enjoy goes right out of the window. no 40s is also a huge disadvantage. nah dcx that ain't it

Offline tuesdaygloom

• wait.
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 11:01:18 »
Glad to see someone trying to revive this, but unless it’s GMK, I’m out

Offline Zahul

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 13:47:51 »
I wouldn't be interested in a DCX set personally.
same, I sold my hyperfuse as legends were so bad. also not a fan of paying import taxes on a product sold solely through an US vendor, any discount I can possibly hope to enjoy goes right out of the window. no 40s is also a huge disadvantage. nah dcx that ain't it

I agree with you, the sets that I have seen were good, but still lacking compared to other sets. As long as it isn't DCX I'm fine.