Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 606584 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #2100 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 22:07:24 »
Since Xfce is the only way I fly, Mint Xfce, ChaletOS, and Linux Lite have all been great for me.

Mint is my install at the moment but I'm thinking of having ChaletOS for the ThinkPad.

What is the appeal of ChaletOS over Mint Xfce for you?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline gorauskas

« Reply #2101 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 01:21:47 »
Arch Linux

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2102 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 09:57:35 »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2103 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 12:58:02 »
Just survived a GPU meltdown (desktop PC) while using Arch Linux. #flexkarma

edit - Actually, as a last resort I pulled the old as dirt p5kpl-cm out of the chassis and re-applied thermal paste to the southbridge. So far so good (until the mobo dies).
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 June 2018, 17:35:03 by csmertx »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2104 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 16:15:40 »
@sth -- Oh, you were serious about KDE. Whoops, I thought you were joking. :-[ To be fair I'm not a fan of KDE or Gnome so take that as you will.

haha that's all you had to say.

i wont lie, KDE is pretty and honestly my favorite of the current DE offerings, but i always come back to cwm + lemonbar. no need for the bells and whistles...
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Altis

« Reply #2105 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 19:24:23 »
Since Xfce is the only way I fly, Mint Xfce, ChaletOS, and Linux Lite have all been great for me.

Mint is my install at the moment but I'm thinking of having ChaletOS for the ThinkPad.

I just liked the way it looked and ran (and it had lots of very nice desktop backgrounds). Otherwise it's much like using any other Ubuntu-based Xfce distro.

My biggest concern with Linux is software support/availability, so I gravitate towards Mint Xfce just to be using such a popular and well-supported distro.

I'm actually not sure what the state of upkeep is on ChaletOS as it seems to be falling by the wayside, so it might not be a great option anymore, sadly. I hadn't looked at it in a while, and it looks like last release was 2016-07-12.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2106 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 22:53:49 »
@sth -- Oh, you were serious about KDE. Whoops, I thought you were joking. :-[ To be fair I'm not a fan of KDE or Gnome so take that as you will.

haha that's all you had to say.

i wont lie, KDE is pretty and honestly my favorite of the current DE offerings, but i always come back to cwm + lemonbar. no need for the bells and whistles...

Oh that's right. Your mention of lemonbar led me to a dual bar setup haha

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2107 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 07:09:23 »

I just liked the way it looked and ran (and it had lots of very nice desktop backgrounds). Otherwise it's much like using any other Ubuntu-based Xfce distro.

My biggest concern with Linux is software support/availability, so I gravitate towards Mint Xfce just to be using such a popular and well-supported distro.

I'm actually not sure what the state of upkeep is on ChaletOS as it seems to be falling by the wayside, so it might not be a great option anymore, sadly. I hadn't looked at it in a while, and it looks like last release was 2016-07-12.

That's the story with so many Linux variants.  Apricity OS comes to mind.  A nice spin on making Arch usable for the newb. And now gone. The beauty and tragedy of Linux is the ability for anyone to create anything, and then simply disappear.

Offline Altis

« Reply #2108 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 08:44:33 »

That's the story with so many Linux variants.  Apricity OS comes to mind.  A nice spin on making Arch usable for the newb. And now gone. The beauty and tragedy of Linux is the ability for anyone to create anything, and then simply disappear.

I suspect it's part of the curse of having so many variants -- the smaller distros often suffer lack of support and/or outright abandonment.

That's why I've stuck with Mint Xfce for a while now. It's not like they're all that different at the end of the day, but the support/updates can be the most important factor.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2109 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 16:34:41 »
I liked Apricity, but it seemed to have more and more (minor) problems.

Antergos is very similar to Apricity, it's been around longer and not likely going anywhere.
If you still want the Mac look, install Cairo, otherwise you get almost the same thing with Antergos.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2110 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 20:31:28 »

Antergos is very similar to Apricity, it's been around longer and not likely going anywhere.
If you still want the Mac look, install Cairo, otherwise you get almost the same thing with Antergos.

What surprised me the most is that the main Antergos LiveISO includes CLI as one of the desktop options. Literally something for everyone. I tried to find some Apricity ISOs about a year ago without much luck. From what I read it wasn't a bad distro.

Offline iri

« Reply #2111 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 03:06:20 »
What kind of desktop is CLI?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Online Findecanor

« Reply #2112 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 06:05:12 »
"Command Line Interface" ? ... so.. the console?

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2113 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 09:05:59 »

Apricity looked pretty and was easy to use, but I'm sure it had issues under the hood because the developers lacked the time to refine it.  Which is the story of so many distros.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2114 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 12:41:06 »

A few days ago I installed Antergos on a new USB drive and one of the 'desktop' options from the LiveISO installation media (XFCE, MATE, KDE, GNOME, etc.) was just install what I need for a tty1 (CLI). I'm not sure if Antergos saved me any time when compared to installing a base system with Arch Linux but my brain thanked me during partitioning/formatting. Now I have a full bug-out OS on my keychain. lol

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2115 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 19:21:10 »

A few days ago I installed Antergos on a new USB drive and one of the 'desktop' options from the LiveISO installation media (XFCE, MATE, KDE, GNOME, etc.) was just install what I need for a tty1 (CLI). I'm not sure if Antergos saved me any time when compared to installing a base system with Arch Linux but my brain thanked me during partitioning/formatting. Now I have a full bug-out OS on my keychain. lol

i urge you to get familiar with the partitioning/formatting process... it will save your ass down the road at one point or another, guaranteed :D
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2116 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 19:32:17 »

i urge you to get familiar with the partitioning/formatting process... it will save your ass down the road at one point or another, guaranteed :D

btw, I use Arch Linux :cool:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2117 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 19:40:06 »

What a pain it was. I mean, I definitely learned a lot doing it on both an HP and Mac, but I do not look forward to doing it again.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2118 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 19:55:51 »
I'm not sure if Antergos saved me any time when compared to installing a base system with Arch Linux but my brain thanked me during partitioning/formatting. Now I have a full bug-out OS on my keychain. lol
The partitioning system is so bad I honestly think it was done that way on purpose just to keep away the casuals.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2119 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 20:01:19 »

What a pain it was. I mean, I definitely learned a lot doing it on both an HP and Mac, but I do not look forward to doing it again.

Yep, my excuse is laziness. The fdisk tool was how I partitioned a few VMs (1st step), weathered 4GB USB drive (2nd step), and the desktop PC (3rd step) I'm using now.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2120 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 22:55:52 »

sorry im on the new meme distro, arch is officially fuddy duddy material now

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2121 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 08:40:33 »

xbps-query -Rs void-meme-wallpapers.... dang nothing. Well, atleast Arch users aren't worried about hugs.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2122 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 15:47:31 »
Well, atleast Arch users aren't worried about hugs.

oh boy you're one of them  :rolleyes:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2123 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:48:34 »

xbps-query -Rs void-meme-wallpapers.... dang nothing. Well, atleast Arch users aren't worried about hugs.

Well, atleast Arch users aren't worried about hugs.

oh boy you're one of them  :rolleyes:

Yep, you caught me. I was actually taking a break from painting an I <3 Arch Linux wall mural in my living room when I read your post. lol. But seriously, I still have quite a few more books to read before I would ever call myself an expert. Take whatever I say with whatever IPA.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2124 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 17:16:01 »
LOL that's not what i meant. i was referring to your pithy nod to the freebsd CoC "conflict" between people who want people to treat each other with respect, and *******s.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2125 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 18:30:33 »
Ah, I was too familiar with tongue-in-cheek references. Once again I apologise for my perceived brashness. Now that's out of way, can we continue with relevant Linux discussions?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2126 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 01:17:36 »
Ah, I was too familiar with tongue-in-cheek references. Once again I apologise for my perceived brashness. Now that's out of way, can we continue with relevant Linux discussions?

yes. teamviewer 13 beta for linux has terrible issues with mod keys sticking between window focus/unfocus events. will i complain to teamviewer or file a bug report? of course not

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2127 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 10:00:31 »

yes. teamviewer 13 beta for linux has terrible issues with mod keys sticking between window focus/unfocus events. will i complain to teamviewer or file a bug report? of course not

Did you check the upstream for any mention of the bug?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2128 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 15:51:16 »

NO ID RATHER JUST COMPLAIN >:(

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2129 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 16:04:28 »

dang

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #2130 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 19:46:00 »

Doin' it the right way  :thumb:

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2131 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 16:24:27 »
Does anyone here use OpenBSD? Or have in the past?

If so, how did you use it (what for) and what kind of computer?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2132 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 16:43:23 »
Charger for my machine came in and it's been about a month since I've touched any Linux distro. Thankfully, and issue I was having with the Nvidia driver has been fixed since my last tinkering, but now yaourt is borked.  :blank:

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2133 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 17:34:51 »

Yeah i dabble in obsd. Purely theoretically, it's my favorite operating system. The lack of "features", while I can't really complain about given the scope of the project, can make transitioning into desktop usage a bit more effort than linux or other BSDs. it's also great for plenty of server applications as long as you don't mind doing things "old school".

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2134 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 17:54:35 »
My thoughts on BSD  have always been that it's best left to servers and special purpose workstations.

It's not really a good desktop OS in the traditional sense if that's what you are after.
It's got a great mascot though.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2135 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 18:33:06 »

I have a few books on the subject (Absolute OpenBSD, The Book of PF--skimmed for a second haven't really dove in) that make me believe that most use OpenBSD as a router/firewall. I have zero experience with most BSDs aside from the VM of NetBSD I have on my system atm. NetBSD is a BEAST of an installation for the average linux user (and that one is the most portable of the BSDs!), maybe not Slackware level beastiness but close. As silly as r/unixporn may sound I have seen a few OpenBSD desktops appear on that subreddit. That'll give you an idea of what hardware they run it on I guess. GH needs a dedicated sub-thread for BSD. Bring those BSD folks out of the woodwork so the rest of us can feel ridiculous.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2136 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 20:43:50 »
My thoughts on BSD  have always been that it's best left to servers and special purpose workstations.

It's not really a good desktop OS in the traditional sense if that's what you are after.

OpenBSD was supposed to have good support for the ThinkPads. I briefly messed around with it, when I had one. It's super easy to install, and the documentation is good. There's never been an official forum though, for when you feel like asking something but don't want to disturb mailing lists.

Building a router / firewall was on my list of projects but I canned that idea. Probably a little over the top for my usage. I already had a fileserver with FreeBSD that's a pain to administer from time to time.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2137 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 19:55:03 »

OpenBSD was supposed to have good support for the ThinkPads. I briefly messed around with it, when I had one. It's super easy to install, and the documentation is good. There's never been an official forum though, for when you feel like asking something but don't want to disturb mailing lists.

Building a router / firewall was on my list of projects but I canned that idea. Probably a little over the top for my usage. I already had a fileserver with FreeBSD that's a pain to administer from time to time.

openbsd forums aren't usually necessary for troubleshooting/tutorials given the quality of documentation it ships with :)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2138 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 20:19:54 »
openbsd forums aren't usually necessary for troubleshooting/tutorials given the quality of documentation it ships with :)
RTFM? Who the heck does that?
Another reason is because the people using it are generally not noobs to the Unix environment.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #2139 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 20:47:46 »
Another reason is because the people using it are generally not noobs to the Unix environment.

I agree that generally OpenBSD users aren't new to Unix and learning on your own is part of the culture.  However, I feel like RTFM is the quintessential toxic reply that comes out of the Unix community and causes any genuinely ignorant new users to not walk, but run back to Windoze.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2140 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 21:11:41 »

I agree that generally OpenBSD users aren't new to Unix and learning on your own is part of the culture.  However, I feel like RTFM is the quintessential toxic reply that comes out of the Unix community and causes any genuinely ignorant new users to not walk, but run back to Windoze.

In my mind RTFM pretty misleading. Of all the documentation I've read 1/2 of the information I'm looking for is on another man page nested within the initial man page. RTFMs

Here's an example: man mutt provides the user with possible command line arguments. If the person in question is looking for .conf variable options, they would have to scroll down to the bottom of the mutt man page and find that there is a muttrc man page. And from there they could procede to read the 3687 lines of text to find whatever .conf variables they might need.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2141 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 00:02:26 »
However, I feel like RTFM is the quintessential toxic reply that comes out of the Unix community and causes any genuinely ignorant new users to not walk, but run back to Windoze.
In many cases that's exactly what they are hoping for.
It also creates a mess for people searching for an answer when Google returns 500k results and they all simply say RTFM instead of giving an answer.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2142 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 15:46:12 »
However, I feel like RTFM is the quintessential toxic reply that comes out of the Unix community and causes any genuinely ignorant new users to not walk, but run back to Windoze.

that's fine, i want my peers in the professional linux/unix community to ask questions the smart way.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2143 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 15:56:58 »
Anybody using galliumos on a chromebook??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2144 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 16:49:52 »

RTFM is the quintessential toxic reply that comes out of the Unix community and causes any genuinely ignorant new users to not walk, but run back to Windoze.

As if there actually WAS an FM that you could read. As always, the answer that you get depends on the question that you ask, and a newbie rarely knows precisely what and how to ask.

That was my experience, a few years ago, after piddling around with Ubuntu for a couple of years, I concluded that I wanted to try to work with OpenSUSE. What I encountered in the (so-called) Help section of the forum was a shark tank of clearly angry and frustrated (mostly) males who were simply drooling for the opportunity insult and humiliate anyone less knowledgeable than themselves. Probably around half the time, the "answers" that I got consisted of long ranting insults that never even addressed my question, and most of the other half were cryptic single lines of code with no other instructions or context. And this was for inquiries about things like how to get the wireless card in my laptop recognized.

It was a singularly ugly and off-putting experience, I am not sure that I have ever encountered anything quite like it.

Afterwards, I moved to Linux Mint Cinnamon and have been very happy since, since I am an ordinary user and don't particularly want to have to delve very deep into code.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2145 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 16:59:00 »

RTFM is the quintessential toxic reply that comes out of the Unix community and causes any genuinely ignorant new users to not walk, but run back to Windoze.

As if there actually WAS an FM that you could read. As always, the answer that you get depends on the question that you ask, and a newbie rarely knows precisely what and how to ask.

That was my experience, a few years ago, after piddling around with Ubuntu for a couple of years, I concluded that I wanted to try to work with OpenSUSE. What I encountered in the (so-called) Help section of the forum was a shark tank of clearly angry and frustrated (mostly) males who were simply drooling for the opportunity insult and humiliate anyone less knowledgeable than themselves. Probably around half the time, the "answers" that I got consisted of long ranting insults that never even addressed my question, and most of the other half were cryptic single lines of code with no other instructions or context. And this was for inquiries about things like how to get the wireless card in my laptop recognized.

It was a singularly ugly and off-putting experience, I am not sure that I have ever encountered anything quite like it.

Afterwards, I moved to Linux Mint Cinnamon and have been very happy since, since I am an ordinary user and don't particularly want to have to delve very deep into code.

i would definitely like to postscript my previous post by saying end-user /desktop linux etc support communities SHOULD exist and currently are often awful. i draw a line between:
-sysadmin/devops style professional linux/unix work which SHOULD have a high experiential/knowledge barrier to entry, because the nature of the work is often very complicated
-desktop linux usage, which should ideally not force the user into using a shell or be arduous in nature just to do day-to-day tasks.

that said, most linux is free. paid support is available and exists because support is work, full stop.

glad you found a distro that works for you!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2146 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 17:09:22 »

that's fine, i want my peers in the professional linux/unix community to ask questions the smart way.

Don't waste your time, or ours, on crude primate politics.
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#idm46060474128336

Seriously? I get the need for clear and concise questions, but Jesus Christ--this 'the King will read your questions now' kind of maddness is maddening.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2147 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 17:50:24 »

Don't waste your time, or ours, on crude primate politics.
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#idm46060474128336

Seriously? I get the need for clear and concise questions, but Jesus Christ--this 'the King will read your questions now' kind of maddness is maddening.

esr is a ****in ****nut but most of that article is pretty spot on. that part is definitely a little dumb though haha.

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
« Reply #2148 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 01:41:55 »
Not just the hacky aspect but I really like Kali.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #2149 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 10:51:39 »
Elementary OS here :

Pros

I find the UI better than Ubuntu.
Ubuntu based so very stable and many package.
Very simple.
Very fast on slow computer : I run it on some Intel core 2 duo notebook find in a trash.
Very light in term of preinstalled app.

Cons

Rythm of release is slow.
The support isn’t very good.

I wait for the stable release after my version called Loki. It will come soon.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.