Author Topic: Easiest method for soldering a bunch of SMT devices? (diodes, caps, resistors)  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Croktopus

Was wondering what peoples' favorite techniques are. About to put together a custom board, and I've never used SMDs before. I was planning on the "tack and reflow" method shown off in this eevblog video
, but I was wondering if people generally prefer to use solder paste and a hot air rework station or some other method? The board's gonna have around 150 of these small SMDs, so I kinda wanna streamline the process (especially since I'm making a few of them). fwiw almost all the devices are 0805

Thanks for any advice
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 November 2018, 02:35:06 by Croktopus »

Offline kakan

If you like tinkering and mastering a production technique I would go with a hot oven.

If you are looking to do it cheaply just use your iron.

I like to test the methods I can afford. As equipment gets expensive. But I do it because I enjoy soldering and it has been a hobby of mine for a long time.

Offline Croktopus

Alright, think I'll just do the tacking thing for now, and if i end up doing more than like, 2 or 3, ill look into the oven thing

thanks dude

Offline cy384

• cy384
toaster oven or hotplate, and get a cheap solder stencil from https://www.oshstencils.com/ or somewhere, hand-soldering is way too finicky and tedious for me.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
I'm a big fan of a hot air station, but those can get pricey. Depending on your iron and tips, that could work

If the components your working with are cheap, give it a try with your iron. Otherwise, the investment might be worth while.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
hot oven or hot air is the way to go if you have 150+ stuff to solder. You can ofc do it with soldering iron but it's really tedious. If you go with iron method, I'd recommend getting a "helping hand" or a pair of reading glasses, aswell as a really fine tip for the soldering iron.

WFD has a good vid on hot air:
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Croktopus

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll go the hot air route cuz that video makes it look nice - was worried about air pressure blowing it away but i guess it should be alright at low pressure. definitely check out the stencil for my next project, as much for possible ease of use as for experience with the technique