Author Topic: Data General Dasher and Xwhatsit USB  (Read 3771 times)

Offline OldIsNew

Data General Dasher and Xwhatsit USB
« on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 23:21:46 »
I've posted this elsewhere but it's a cool board IMO, and I figured I'd post it here too. It's a Dasher (not D1, D2, etc.) so it had some extra appeal to me. The PCB is dated 5/78.

205108-0          205110-1

I replaced the foam and foil and Retrobrighted the keys:

205112-2          205114-3 

Then wired everything up and good to go (yes my wiring is not pretty - want to make something of it?):

205116-4          205118-5

Offline Dave_K.

Re: Data General Dasher and Xwhatsit USB
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 17:56:12 »
I saw your youtube video before seeing this post, so glad to see how to converted it.  Best part of this hack is that the keyboard should still be workable with the original keyboard connector and D1 terminal, although not at the same time.

In the first pic, the key colors are the typical UV affected green/blue, but the last pics they look really blue.  Did you do something to the keys to lighten them or was this just a camera/lighting thing?

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 19:53:28 »
I saw your youtube video before seeing this post, so glad to see how to converted it.  Best part of this hack is that the keyboard should still be workable with the original keyboard connector and D1 terminal, although not at the same time.

In the first pic, the key colors are the typical UV affected green/blue, but the last pics they look really blue.  Did you do something to the keys to lighten them or was this just a camera/lighting thing?

Thanks for your comments! There are some more details here: https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/data-general-dasher-and-xwhatsit-usb-t19922.html .  I'm afraid that unfortunately it would not be simple to switch back to the original connector and D1 terminal - I did desolder a number of the ICs to use the pads to connect the Xwhatsit - so while it could be done, the ICs would need to be resoldered, etc.

As far as the keys - it's not just the lighting, I did retrobright them and it does make a big difference! I've had very good luck with this on a number of boards so far. Here's a link describing the basic process I've used:

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/another-go-at-retrobright-t17393.html?hilit=another

If you do try retobrighting - be careful! In my post I mentioned leaving the keys under the lights for 8 hours - I got lucky that time! You should keep a much closer eye on things because it it definitely possible to over bleach things!

Offline Dave_K.

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 02:01:52 »
Thanks for the links!  I have been restoring two dasher terminals, and was curious of the conversion details.