Author Topic: Board Games  (Read 1172 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Board Games
« on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 06:24:23 »
I wonder how many of you here play board games?
I thought I would start my board games thread here (if not had one already).

These are the games I own:
  • Everdell
  • Castles of Burgundy
  • Catan
  • Stone Age
  • Ticket to Ride

Also don't own there but played at friends' house:
  • Wingspan
  • Imhotep

For me (and my missus) best one is Everdell, which we just have purchased. This is most beautifully made one we have seen, amazing make, also, great scenario and story. Gameplay is great too, lots of cards which adds to its "randomness".
Second best for us would be Castles of Burgundy, then Catan and Stone Age.

What board games do you have?
Which is your favourite one?
Which one you would like to have in your collection, or waiting to be released?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline TomahawkLabs

Re: Board Games
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 08:29:21 »
I wonder how many of you here play board games?
I thought I would start my board games thread here (if not had one already).

These are the games I own:
  • Everdell
  • Castles of Burgundy
  • Catan
  • Stone Age
  • Ticket to Ride

Also don't own there but played at friends' house:
  • Wingspan
  • Imhotep

For me (and my missus) best one is Everdell, which we just have purchased. This is most beautifully made one we have seen, amazing make, also, great scenario and story. Gameplay is great too, lots of cards which adds to its "randomness".
Second best for us would be Castles of Burgundy, then Catan and Stone Age.

What board games do you have?
Which is your favourite one?
Which one you would like to have in your collection, or waiting to be released?

My old roommate was super into board games. Catan was a mainstay, but we also really enjoyed Cosmic Encounters. More or less multiplayer "war" and the rules are designed to be broken via the specific races so every game is unique. The Firefly board game based on the show was also another fun game, but there is an advantage to those who have played before.

Currently, my kids like playing Exploding Kittens and Uno.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 08:36:18 »

we also really enjoyed Cosmic Encounters.

I haven't played board games in years (decades) but really enjoyed Cosmic Encounters back in the late-1970s!

That was probably my favorite game ever. I understand that it has evolved considerably as a cult item over the years.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 15:15:04 »
I used to play a lot of Small World, Citadels, and Catan back in college.
Never liked Catan though, I always found it wildly unbalanced.

I have Wingspan on PC via Steam and love that game, although I nearly always get destroyed playing online.

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 15:37:15 »

I have Wingspan on PC via Steam and love that game, although I nearly always get destroyed playing online.

Whoever picks locations first so often has an unfair advantage. The way my friends and I played was resource and dice role tokens were randomly placed upside down on the map. Each player picks a dock/port to start from and you have to work your way inland. every game so super unique because you could get stuck with all of say brick on your side of the map so it forces trades more.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 21:34:00 »

we also really enjoyed Cosmic Encounters.

I haven't played board games in years (decades) but really enjoyed Cosmic Encounters back in the late-1970s!

That was probably my favorite game ever. I understand that it has evolved considerably as a cult item over the years.

Never heard abotu this game. Will have to check it out. If its from 70s, then wondering if they refreshed it or does it exist as it was released back then.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 21:34:33 »

Heh, just checked out that Wingspan on Steam, interesting, might try it out.

Offline EmmaAlva

• tiny fishing
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 22:52:06 »
I used to frequently engage in playing Small World, Citadels, and Catan.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 23:05:29 »
I used to frequently engage in playing Small World, Citadels, and Catan.

my old roommate?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 08:31:34 »

if they refreshed it or does it exist as it was released back then.

As I understand it, there has been considerable evolution and expansion, but I am out of the loop.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 March 2024, 13:01:43 »
Will try Puerto Rico soon as well.
Played Everdell again, really nice, beautiful looking game. Highly recommended!

Offline RobertSchell

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 April 2024, 03:55:26 »
If you talk about the board games. Then I first remember the chess. Though there are single opponent but it delighted me a lot.

Online _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 April 2024, 10:51:16 »
With the release of Dune Part II, I've been itching to play the Dune board game again. I might have even talked about it in previous threads; I find it very fun if you're familiar with the lore.

Otherwise, deception and hidden information games are my usual go-tos as work because they're easy to explain and fast to run. Avalon is the bees knees
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u