Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3511760 times)

Offline Masterchief79

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #2950 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 03:40:49 »
ID this board for me please - seller claims it's mechanical.

Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2951 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 04:43:45 »
Another question for you guys.  Any suggestions on mounting a teensy without being soldered to the PCB as my project won't have one.  I don't like the idea of double sided sticky tape either.

If you won't use double sided tape, I suppose you could do something like mount the Teensy on a PCB like this one or this one, attach stand offs the the PCB, and epoxy the standoffs in place.  Double side tape would be much easier though.  Or, if you're never going to move or remove the Teensy, I suppose you could exposy or hot glue it in place.  I'd still go with the PCB or double sided tape suggestion though.

I am just paranoid about shorts with stuff touching traces and pins.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #2952 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 07:46:18 »
i'm looking to bend some cherry stabilizer wires for a project.  i measured a cherry wire i had laying around it was 1.6mm or 1/16" of an inch (~14 gauge).  What would be a good source to get straight wire like this?  I have 1/16" stainless steel TIG welding wire at my shop but i think it might be too soft.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2953 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 09:59:28 »
Stainless TIG wire should be fine.  I have worked with it before on other projects and when you. Cut it down to length it should be more than strong enough.  I am just not sure if 309/309 or 316 grade would be better.

Question for myself.  Is there a list compiled anywhere of distances between keys including from outside edge keys and adjacent keys along with distances to navigation cluster and numpad keys.  If there isn't a list anywhere I was thinking of raking some measurements off my Das and posting them here.  I would assume the DIY resources thread would be the proper place for that info as well?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2954 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 11:53:37 »
ID this board for me please - seller claims it's mechanical.

Show Image

*Maybe* it's a Focus or an NMB board but it has no markings on it so its hard to tell. Tell the seller to take a cap off so we/you can see a switch.

i'm looking to bend some cherry stabilizer wires for a project.  i measured a cherry wire i had laying around it was 1.6mm or 1/16" of an inch (~14 gauge).  What would be a good source to get straight wire like this?  I have 1/16" stainless steel TIG welding wire at my shop but i think it might be too soft.

Not sure how helpful this is but Litster has a Youtube video where he shows how he makes Costar stabilizer wires. He says he uses 3/64" music wire that he got at a hobby shop.

1) Question for myself.  Is there a list compiled anywhere of distances between keys including from outside edge keys and adjacent keys along with distances to navigation cluster and numpad keys. 

2) If there isn't a list anywhere I was thinking of raking some measurements off my Das and posting them here.  I would assume the DIY resources thread would be the proper place for that info as well?

1) No since this is different for every keyboard.

2) Don't put it in here. Make a new thread or put it in the DIY thread. Not sure if it should go there since it seems very general and you're only putting dimensions up for your Das.

Offline ReDyrme

« Reply #2955 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 14:25:48 »
removed
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2021, 09:24:17 by ReDyrme »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2956 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 14:28:59 »
I think it will give you some idea, but you'll still need some keycaps to go on the switches to get a better idea, and moreover, it won't be the same to test individual switches vs. how they will feel once mounted on a full keyboard.  The switches will feel a bit heavier too when mounted on a keyboard at your normal typing angle..
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2957 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 14:31:37 »
It is worth getting it (WASD Sampler Pack) for $18.54 incl. shipping to find out which switch I like the most?

DT has some switch tester tours that you can try as well if you don't like the shipping price.

Offline ReDyrme

« Reply #2958 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 14:39:50 »
removed
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2021, 09:25:09 by ReDyrme »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2959 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 14:41:53 »
1) Can you tell what DT is? Sorry I'm new here. :D

2) Do you not get the keycaps which are on the picture?

1) Deskthority is another keyboard community/forum. They are more Euro-centric so it might be easier for you to get in on a tour like that if you don't like the price you listed before.

2) You do. Not really sure what Photoelectric is referring to. He is right that it feels better to try the switches on a keyboard but that sampler kit is better than nothing.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2960 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 14:42:24 »
You do, yes--I forgot it comes with keycaps, sorry!  Other points stand.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #2961 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 14:46:55 »
I found this Sampler Kit from WASD  http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-sampler-kit.html and wanted to ask, if you think it is worth getting it for $18.54 incl. shipping to find out which switch I like the most?
Depending on where you live (you know, Europe is still kinda unspecific), you might find somebody who lives in your country who might lend or sell you his kit if he has one. Also if there is a local branch of Conrad in your country, they sell Cherry MX Clear and Black switches, you then only lack the Red switch, but that's just lighter than the Black.

Can you tell what DT is? Sorry I'm new here. :D
Deskthority.net, another mechanical keyboards related forum with more Europeans than GH.

Do you not get the keycaps which are on the picture?
You do, but it still makes a big difference having a whole keyboard with a certain switch. A single switch may feel more tactile and is probably not as loud as a whole keyboard.

Again Captain snipes me :'( Edit: I got even sniped twice! I really need to train touch typing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 July 2013, 14:49:30 by BlueBär »

Offline ReDyrme

« Reply #2962 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 16:46:56 »
removed
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2021, 09:26:12 by ReDyrme »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2963 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 16:56:33 »
What size screws does the poker use? I know there's a thread on it. I just can't remember the name.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2964 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 17:07:02 »
What size screws does the poker use? I know there's a thread on it. I just can't remember the name.

It's in the FAQ in the OP, but here it is again (I know since I asked a while back):

CPTBadAss, please put this info in the OP:

Poker/Pure cases use M2-4mm (0.4mm pitch) machine screws to mount the PCB to the case. McMaster-Carr part # 92000A011

I actually ended up getting mine of Amazon since it was cheaper than McMaster-Carr.  Here's the Amazon link.  They were all of $3.30 shipped.  I'd offer to send you some for the cost of shipping, but unless I can send them via normal post for the cost of a postage stamp, they'd probably end up costing more than it would cost to buy them off of Amazon yourself.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #2965 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 17:12:28 »
Thanks nubbs. Seems I need to check the OP more often :/
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2966 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 17:18:02 »
OP gets updated as I see fit, or if someone asks me to update it, with new frequently asked questions. So definitely check on it every so often.

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #2967 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 18:19:26 »
Who all makes blank PBTs, and what profile are they? Might make useful OP info.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2968 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 18:22:44 »
Who all makes blank PBTs, and what profile are they? Might make useful OP info.

Imsto and SP have the only blank PBTs I've ever seen and they're Cherry profile. Don't really think it's an OP FAQ since I've only seen it asked a few times. We'll see though.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2969 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 18:34:21 »
Ducky has also produced thick blank PBTs in OEM profile--same as their new Dye Sub PBTs, but blank.  Apparently very small quantity, so for most people--unobtainable:
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ducky-nordic-keyboards-keycaps-projects-and-misc-stuff-t4718-600.html#wrapper
(Ducky Nordic, longer post from June 14)
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 July 2013, 18:36:03 by Photoelectric »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #2970 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 18:35:43 »
Page 100! Congratulations CPT & everyone who has contributed through both questions and answers!
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 July 2013, 18:38:14 by Photekq »
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2971 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 18:36:55 »
How'd you pull that off?? First post on page 100? And thanks but this was definitely a community effort ^__^

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #2972 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 18:38:34 »
How'd you pull that off?? First post on page 100? And thanks but this was definitely a community effort ^__^
Counted the posts..  :)) and yes you're right. I've corrected my post.
github

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2973 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 21:40:36 »
1) Question for myself.  Is there a list compiled anywhere of distances between keys including from outside edge keys and adjacent keys along with distances to navigation cluster and numpad keys. 

2) If there isn't a list anywhere I was thinking of raking some measurements off my Das and posting them here.  I would assume the DIY resources thread would be the proper place for that info as well?

1) No since this is different for every keyboard.

2) Don't put it in here. Make a new thread or put it in the DIY thread. Not sure if it should go there since it seems very general and you're only putting dimensions up for your Das.
[/quote]

Sounds good CPT I just figured it would be a standard measurement.  But even though it isn't a standard there can't be that much difference between different manufacturers. 

Edit:  added a missing word due to typing on my phone
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 July 2013, 13:25:07 by Melvang »

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #2974 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 14:11:37 »
Grats on Page 100! :D

...back in the new days...

my question....how do you build a gh60?

back to page 10 lol
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 July 2013, 14:13:18 by Dubsgalore »

Offline UniClown

« Reply #2975 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 16:50:34 »
Are the pin positions in a Cherry MY switch in the same location as a MX switch?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2976 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 16:58:05 »
Are the pin positions in a Cherry MY switch in the same location as a MX switch?

Nope, sorry. You can't replace MY switches on a PCB with MX switches.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2977 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 19:00:58 »
I have some older switches I'd like to use at some point, and some percent of them are oxidized inside where the leaf part is. 

A. how bad is it for operation / durability and
B. how can I clean switch housings?  I can't soak them in detergent + water because of the metal--is there something that I could use to clean them + maybe help the oxidation on the few that have it?  It appears that scrubbing them with a q-tip doused in alcohol gets rid of some of the black coating, though not all.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 July 2013, 19:03:55 by Photoelectric »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2978 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 19:44:50 »
I have some older switches I'd like to use at some point, and some percent of them are oxidized inside where the leaf part is. 

Show Image

A. how bad is it for operation / durability and
B. how can I clean switch housings?  I can't soak them in detergent + water because of the metal--is there something that I could use to clean them + maybe help the oxidation on the few that have it?  It appears that scrubbing them with a q-tip doused in alcohol gets rid of some of the black coating, though not all.

My suggestion would be an aerosol based electrical contact cleaner with a stiff toothbrush.  Fair warning use outside or if it will be done inside make sure it is nothing your house and still use plenty of active ventilation.  That stuff has a ton of methyl-ethyl-bad@&$%.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #2979 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 22:06:19 »
Is a mx lock switch's stem compatible with a standard switch's bottom housing ?

example: gh60 with a plate supporting removable top covers.
I solder in all mx reds but decide later I want a mx lock switch in the place of the left shift.
can I just replace the top cover/stem/spring or do I have to desolder and replace the entire switch?
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 July 2013, 23:41:40 by domoaligato »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2980 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 22:09:43 »

Try Deoxit maybe?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2981 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 22:24:17 »

Try Deoxit maybe?

Thank you, I'll see about getting that. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 July 2013, 23:01:48 by Photoelectric »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #2982 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 01:10:15 »
I'm looking to get a second TKL PCB. Most likely the A87 or KMAC 1.4. I've just got a few questions.
1. Can I get toggle lock key LEDs (like the phantom) on either of these pcbs?
2. I noticed on WFD's KMAC video he didn't need to install any resistors for the LEDs (like on the phantom). Is this the same on the A87?
3. Is there an english guide for the A87 yet?
4. Does anyone have any other TKL recommendations? Must be programmable and USB.
github

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2983 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 02:00:39 »
I'm looking to get a second TKL PCB. Most likely the A87 or KMAC 1.4. I've just got a few questions.
1. Can I get toggle lock key LEDs (like the phantom) on either of these pcbs?
2. I noticed on WFD's KMAC video he didn't need to install any resistors for the LEDs (like on the phantom). Is this the same on the A87?
3. Is there an english guide for the A87 yet?
4. Does anyone have any other TKL recommendations? Must be programmable and USB.

A87 uses the ps2avr firmware
here is a link with A87 info & firmware
http://winkeyless.kr/entry/A87-ps2avr-%EA%B4%80%EB%A0%A8-%EC%9E%90%EB%A3%8C

bootloader flashing instructions:
http://winkeyless.kr/entry/%EB%B6%80%ED%8A%B8%EB%A1%9C%EB%8D%94%EB%A5%BC-%EC%9D%B4%EC%9A%A9%ED%95%9C-%ED%8E%8C%EC%9B%A8%EC%96%B4-%EB%8B%A4%EC%9A%B4%EB%A1%9C%EB%93%9C-%EB%B0%A9%EB%B2%95

A87 build/compile instructions
http://www3.kbdmania.net/xe/data/6240715

since the a87 uses ps2avr there is tons of different firmware builds on http://winkeyless.kr
with google translate I was able to figure out quite a bit from those pages.

I do not know much about the kmac other then the cases are sexy looking.

edit: assembly info? http://winkeyless.kr/entry/MXmini-ps2avr-%EA%B8%B0%ED%8C%90-%EC%A1%B0%EB%A6%BD-%EA%B0%80%EC%9D%B4%EB%93%9C
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 July 2013, 02:27:39 by domoaligato »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #2984 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 06:32:48 »
Thank you for those links domo, they're very helpful. I notice that you can't program the A87 through USB.. so I think I'll avoid it and go for the KMAC PCB.
github

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2985 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 07:07:42 »
Is a mx lock switch's stem compatible with a standard switch's bottom housing ?

example: gh60 with a plate supporting removable top covers.
I solder in all mx reds but decide later I want a mx lock switch in the place of the left shift.
can I just replace the top cover/stem/spring or do I have to desolder and replace the entire switch?

My primary guess would be no based on looking at both from the outside. Here are some pictures of a disassembled one. Open one you have and compare? http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Lock

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2986 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 11:26:31 »
Thank you for those links domo, they're very helpful. I notice that you can't program the A87 through USB.. so I think I'll avoid it and go for the KMAC PCB.

I do not want to derail this thread to far so here is a link to a thread here at geekhack to discuss this further.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44504.0

I wish I had one so I could port hasu's firmware to it since it is atmel based.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2987 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 11:32:39 »
I have a simple question.
in hasu's firmware it specify's a boot magic key.
I have read the read.me files and it explains well what [magic] + key = function
but what is the magic key?
specifically for the keyboard\gh60 tree.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2988 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 11:37:14 »
I have a simple question.
in hasu's firmware it specify's a boot magic key.
I have read the read.me files and it explains well what [magic] + key = function
but what is the magic key?
specifically for the keyboard\gh60 tree.

I think be default it is programmed to be both Shifts + Pause. But you can program it to whatever you want, for instance if you don't have a Pause key on Layer 1.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2989 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 13:19:17 »
No luck in another thread, so I'll try here.

When cleaning metal parts in the switch housing with contact cleaners and using a no-residue cleaner, is it beneficial to use a lubricant / coating afterwards for corrosion-preventative measures?  For example, CRC 2-26:
"Multi-Purpose Lubricant is a plastic-safe lubricant, penetrant and corrosion inhibitor. This lubricant helps prevent electrical malfunctions and restore damaged equipment caused by water penetration, humidity, condensation and corrosion."

Or not really necessary?

Deoxit also has formulas that leave residue for a similar purpose (as well as formulas that just clean, without leaving any residue)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2990 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 13:31:19 »
I don't see any Cons so why not?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2991 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 13:39:01 »
Only concerned about that coating possibly interacting with Krytox 103+201 in the long run.

ETA: found this neat thread
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 July 2013, 13:41:10 by Photoelectric »

Offline megaforce

« Reply #2992 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 14:32:31 »
Does anyone know the Pin out on the 4-Pin to mini USB converter chip on the QFR? Trying to solder a USB cable to it from my Phantom so I can use a detachable cable with the QFR case:

Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2993 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 14:38:23 »
There's that little jumper cable that connects that USB daughter board to the controller. Couldn't you just plug that back in and see what color wires go on which pins?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2994 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 14:43:55 »
No luck in another thread, so I'll try here.

When cleaning metal parts in the switch housing with contact cleaners and using a no-residue cleaner, is it beneficial to use a lubricant / coating afterwards for corrosion-preventative measures?  For example, CRC 2-26:
"Multi-Purpose Lubricant is a plastic-safe lubricant, penetrant and corrosion inhibitor. This lubricant helps prevent electrical malfunctions and restore damaged equipment caused by water penetration, humidity, condensation and corrosion."

Or not really necessary?

Deoxit also has formulas that leave residue for a similar purpose (as well as formulas that just clean, without leaving any residue)

I was going to ask why you're worried about cleaning the non-contact parts of the metal contact blades, but then said to myself, "Self, this is Geekhack you're talking about."

I don't really think it will make one bit of difference either way.

Does anyone know the Pin out on the 4-Pin to mini USB converter chip on the QFR? Trying to solder a USB cable to it from my Phantom so I can use a detachable cable with the QFR case:

Show Image

Those pins match up to a Filco USB cable's Molex connector. So you could get the pinout from that, I would think.

in memoriam

Offline megaforce

« Reply #2995 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 16:28:01 »
There's that little jumper cable that connects that USB daughter board to the controller. Couldn't you just plug that back in and see what color wires go on which pins?

I only got the case from someone, so it didn't come with the cable.

Those pins match up to a Filco USB cable's Molex connector. So you could get the pinout from that, I would think.

Thanks, I'll see if they match up.
More
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2996 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 17:01:59 »

Show Image

Does this help?

Offline megaforce

« Reply #2997 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 17:17:02 »
You are beautiful, beautiful man.

Thank you!
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2998 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 17:20:07 »
Hehe, I'm in the process of harvesting switches from this QFR. You caught me at a great time megaforce93 :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2999 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 17:22:15 »
Hehe, I'm in the process of harvesting switches from this QFR. You caught me at a great time megaforce93 :D

Please tell me you're doing something with the PCB.