Author Topic: [IC] GMK Bordeaux | Group Buy is now LIVE! May 30, 2022 to June 30, 2022 🍷  (Read 64042 times)

Offline aerospice

Re: [IC] GMK Bordeaux | Base Alphas Color Poll Results (03/06/22) 🍷
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 06 March 2022, 22:39:36 »
Looking at the results of the final base alpha color poll, it appears the red alphas are going to replace the brown alphas in the base kit since the red alphas had an overwhelming 79.6% victory over the 20.4% of the brown alphas! In addition, the sentimentality seems to lean towards the positive end based on the bar chart, so it looks like most you guys are happy with the decision that you guys made! Anyway, I went ahead and updated the current kit as a result of the color poll. Below is the visualization for the poll results for anybody who is interested in checking it out:

Base Alphas Poll Results

Base Alphas Satisfaction Score

I'm also going to get some last minute opinions to make sure any necessary changes are addressed, and then I will get it quoted with my head vendor. If you have any ongoing concerns about the kitting or would like to add some input, feel free to fill out the third and final interest check form! The only primary question is about adding a numpad to the brown alt-alphas kit, so definitely participate in this if you are a full-sized keyboard user who is looking to purchase this kit.

>> Interest Check Form v3<<

Offline mymeepo

Re: [IC] GMK Bordeaux | Base Alphas Color Poll Results (03/06/22) 🍷
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 06:25:24 »
So hyped for this set. Can't wait to see which collabs you come up with.

Offline aerospice

Just wanted to hit you guys with a few small updates all at once regarding a kitting change for the alt-alphas, a new SEA vendor, and some new collaboration pictures! Starting off with the small kitting change, I changed the color of the tab key in the alt-alphas kit to Pantone 7643 C so that it would be consistent with the modifier colors for two keyboard support.

Talking about the new SEA vendor, I would like to announce Thic Thok! For all the Southeast Asian people interested in this set, you can go ahead and check out their site in the link below since they're going to be the new SEA vendor for the region. They also designed one of my favorite switches too (marshmallows)!

SEA: Thic Thock

Next thing to talk about are collaborations. You guys might've seen his artwork on sets like KAT Aesthetic before, so I am excited to showcase another one of his masterpieces below. 1stGarden's deskmat features a classy lady taking a sip from a very expensive glass of wine (probably from Bordeaux). If you like both ladies AND wine, this deskmat is going to serve as a great drinking companion for your office space!

More

Last but not least, I would like to introduce a new keycap collaboration with YVK Studio, a one man team who specializes in wooden spacebars. Given the nature of barrel-aged wine, I thought the medium he used to make his keycaps were not only unique, but also a great overall fit for the theme of this set. Anyway, you guys can check out more of his work on his Instagram page (link provided) and the render below!

Wood Keycaps: YVK Studio

More

Wrapping up all these small updates, I am currently working on creating some new board renders to show off more of the red alphas. Additionally, I aim to re-quote the set by the end of this week after a few small tweaks from some last-minute feedback, so look forward to that!
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2022, 02:50:29 by aerospice »

Offline aerospice

Talking about price quotes, I recently received them for North America. I can say that I am incredibly satisfied with the result since I was able to hit the exact price range for the base kit without excluding any essential keys, especially the numpad. This goes to show that switching to a mono-colored set was the ideal choice of action in terms of decreasing the set's price, so much appreciation for everyone for contributing to the prior color poll! Anyway, once I receive all the pricing information from all my vendors and organize them in a spreadsheet, I will go ahead and update the front page to include them. In the meantime, below are the NA price quotes I got from Mechs & Co for the set so you guys know what to expect for the upcoming group buy.

Base Kit: $135 (250 MOQ)
Alphas: $70 (100 MOQ)
Novelties: $50 (100 MOQ)
Spacebars: $31 (100 MOQ)
Deskmat: $20

Moving on to the novelties kit, I recently included a new novelty key for the R2 tab. When I looked at the default tab icon with the left/right arrows, I thought grape leaves would work well since they look like the tab icons in their own way. Anyway, I wanted to add it since I thought it was a unique take on the tab key that worked well with the wine theme. Just so it didn't look out-of-place, I made sure that it meshed well with the caps lock and shift modifier keys beneath it, assuming it's a typical keyboard layout! The aesthetics definitely make a lot more sense in the new board renders that I posted in the front page.

Last thing I wanted to mention was my collaboration with MarbleK. As some of you may know, MarbleK makes these elegant wrist rests from slabs of REAL marble. Honestly can't get any classier than that. Anyway, I just wanted to give everyone a sneak peak as to what the color of the marble is going to look like since I'm personally ecstatic about his choice of stone! I honestly can't wait to see how this is going to look once everything takes shape!

All in all, the group buy is still looking good to run on May 2022. Once I confirm a good GB date with all my vendors, I will update you guys with something more specific. In the meantime, keep your eyes peeled since everything is moving very quickly for this set!
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 March 2022, 02:01:50 by aerospice »

Offline Exluna

Hot damn it's all coming together!

Offline ThreadyKeycaps

• ThreadyKeycaps
Nice set but would like to see more of the lightest shade. Beautiful novelties.

Offline aerospice

Mark your calendars, because we finally have an official group buy date! GMK Bordeaux is slated to run on May 30, 2022. It's been a long time since this set has started, so I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here for contributing/shaping this set to what it is today. For anybody who was not here before, below is what the set initially looked like when I first came up with the idea... yea, it wasn't the prettiest thing to stare at.

Outside of the group buy date, I have a few more metal/resin based artisan keycap collaborations that I have yet to announce. In addition, there is also a very special collaboration that I am trying to plan out that I'm sure that you guys will look forward to. These extra things will be further announced when the group buy date gets a little closer, so keep an eye out for those news! Before I forget, below is the pricing for NA. I got all the pricing information from my other vendors as well, but this will also be announced on a date closer to the GB due to changing exchange rates. In the meantime, below is the NA pricing just so everyone here has a good mental estimate as to what the pricing will be for your corresponding regions when the day comes.

Anyway, I'm happy to say that this community effort has transformed into a project that I am very proud of, and I definitely look forward to bringing this set to all our doorsteps soon! We're getting a little closer, one step at a time :)

More

Offline Rumblethumps

It's been so long that I totally forgot what the first renders looked like, lmao. Super excited!!  ;D

Offline bert039

Is the set aimed to be closer to the renders or the pantone?

The renders look amazing and what I'm looking for but the pantone is a little too purple for me

Offline Neely_12

Would’ve really like to see this in text+icon mods but eh. Good luck anyways!

Offline monkeybread44

Great, duly noted. :)  In for Château & Vineyard (and maybe more if EU pricing isn't too bad).

Offline aerospice

This portion of the update probably doesn't affect most of you here, but I decided to come up with an international kit to support some of the EU people in this hobby! Fun fact about the name of the kit (Glögg), it is a type of spiced wine that is served warm/hot in Nordic countries, which is actually pretty tasty! Anyway, as a compromise to costs, I went ahead and excluded the tertiary legends, which won't affect the full support it has for NorDeUK layouts. I know the kit isn't exactly going to sell like hotcakes based on the 2nd IC form results, but I wanted to make this set accessible for as many regions as possible since I didn't want anyone to miss out on this set without the necessary layout support.

Talking about metal/acrylic keycaps, I'm excited to announce my collaboration with Esclab! For those of you guys looking for something a bit more clean/minimal, the first one is a sandblasted aluminum "00" profile keycap that has been anodized to match the Bordeaux wine red color. If you plan on going for the full-mono look, this artisan is going to serve as a great accent piece without taking away from the wine color. The second one is a clear acrylic-based keycap that was made to represent a wine aerator. If you have any boards with RGB features, this artisan is definitely going to help create an aurora light effect on whatever key it is placed on!

More

More

In regards to the progress of the GB, everything is pretty much set! Like I said before, pricing is going to be finalized about 1-2 weeks away from the GB date due to changing exchange rates. The only thing to do for now is to wait for the GB to start (May 30, 2022), and to announce the last few collabs for this set as everything gets closer!

Offline Exluna

Wahey congratulations! It's been a privilege to be a part of this, been looking forward to this set for a long time now.

Offline saigou

Great set of designs! I'd like to know if the actual color of the keycaps will be mainly rendered or 7643c, because the Pantone colors I found on the internet are a little different from the ones you posted. ;)

Offline aerospice

Great set of designs! I'd like to know if the actual color of the keycaps will be mainly rendered or 7643c, because the Pantone colors I found on the internet are a little different from the ones you posted. ;)

Hey there, really glad that you like the design!

In regards to your question, when it comes to color matching keycaps or any other products, you will want to refer to the physical swatches/chips in-person, whether it be from a color guide or sample. For that reason, the RAL/Pantone colors that you see on your monitor are going to be much more different from the real thing 99.9% of the time, which is why these color systems (RAL, Pantone, etc.) are necessary.

Just to further clarify, the renders that you see for this set are all going to be based on the physical Pantone color(s) on the color guide. Anyway, I hope I was able to help clear up your concerns!

Offline frostiiz

This set looks very great, I'm loving the color scheme !
As a french, I'm happy to see the mk community being so interested in our wine culture and porting it over this cool GMK keycap set.

The only issue I'm seeing here is that there is no ISO FR coverage...

I understand that ISO FR isn't usually supported over GMK sets, as it seems like there is not enough demand for it, but for a kit solely based on french culture, this is kind of a downer. I would have loved to buy this set for myself, but as I'm using the ISO FR layout, I cannot follow this group-buy.  :-[

Best wishes for the next.

Offline WaynaPawiasek

This is a very unfortunate situation, as i can really not afford to spend 300€ on keycaps right now.

Nonetheless, as a passioante alcoholic, this set + kitting will leave me no choice but to do so anyway!

Cheers!

Offline aerospice

I am happy to finally reveal the keycap collaboration with Hibi! This brass metal keycap features a grape bunch novelty from the set, finished off with a glossy rose gold PVD coating to create a beautiful luster! Although unintentional, I absolutely love how the Hibi flower logo kind of looks like a grape bunch, so it fits really well! The keycap also reminds me a little bit of "royal rot" wine because of the rose gold color. As a fun wine fact, "royal rot" typically refers to white grape varieties that have been infected with a fungus (Botrytis) while the grapes are in a raisin-dried condition. When picked at the right time of the infection, a very concentrated sweet wine is the end result due to the higher sugar contents from the dehydration. Anyway, more of this metal keycap can be seen below!

More

Furthermore, I wanted to share some of the progress that VoxelMods made with the cable collaboration. The metal connectors feature a deep purple patina with some reddish hues spread throughout, which was done by KneeDeep himself! The color of the sleeves and connectors have a "wine splash" look to them, so I think both VoxelMods and KneeDeep as a duo nailed this concept out of the park! Anyway, some of these progress images can be seen below. Keep in mind that these cables are going to be quite limited, so definitely keep an eye out for them!

More

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2022, 21:27:48 by aerospice »

Offline aerospice

After a few revisions, I'm happy to announce the updated deskmat design from 1stGarden titled "Affair at the Château." To capture his vision for what he was aiming for a wine-themed display, he took extra personal time out of his day to improve on the initial idea for the deskmat. Personally, I thought it was going to be difficult to improve on the initial concept since I believed it was already great, but his new art piece went way above and beyond my original expectations. Looking at this, I'm confident that many of you will agree with this sentiment as well! For anyone curious about the car, it's a model "992 Cabriolet" Porsche. Additionally, if you take a closer glance at the background, you can see a wine Château located in the mountains!

More

Talking about cables now, I wanted to share a completed cable set from RnCables (not renders btw)! Color-wise the cable is matched with the wine Pantone 7643 C color, which is then wrapped with a black sleeve. Talking about the connectors, it is matched with the creamy Pantone 2309 C color, which is then splashed with a spray of wine! Although most people would take their wine-stained clothing to the laundry, this happy accident is something that you guys will not want to wash off! Beginning at the start of the group buy, this cable will be available to purchase at RnCables' personal website!

More

Outside of some of the raffle-based keycap collaborations that have yet to be announced, most of everything has been revealed! However, there is still one very special collaboration that is going to be revealed sometime in the middle of the group buy phase. I honestly don't think anyone here is going to be disappointed in this event... In the meantime, keep your eyes peeled for the upcoming group buy date for this set, which will begin next Monday on May 30, 2022!

Offline aerospice

Hey everyone, it's been a long time coming, but the group buy is happening tomorrow on May 30, 2022! Some vendors are already online, but I will make the Geekhack GB post once every single vendor for every region has a live product page for me to create a direct link for. In the meantime, I went ahead and posted the finalized pricing information for all vendors so that you guys know what to expect for your respective regions:

Anyway, thank you for all the kind support and feedback thus far! I hope to see you all very soon during group buy phase :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 May 2022, 10:20:02 by aerospice »

Offline aerospice

While we're still waiting for the Geekhack group buy post to get approved by the moderation team, I went ahead and dropped the full list of vendors and their corresponding direct product links so that you guys can conveniently browse and make your purchases!

Vendors
NA: Mechs & Co
EU: MyKeyboard
CA: Ashkeebs
UK: Prototypist
AUS/OCE: Daily Clack
SEA: Thic Thock
CN: KBDfans
KR: Monstargears

Until the group buy post goes up, enjoy this wine fountain 🍷
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 May 2022, 11:15:34 by aerospice »

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
1stGarden never miss - Love the deskmat design!

Offline LegendsWorks

• thocc
GLWGB!

Offline aerospice

Okay everyone, off to greener pastures! The GB page is finally up!

>> Group Buy Page <<