Author Topic: GMK Apollo Pre Sale - typical post group buy markup?  (Read 3681 times)

Offline sour_sake_

GMK Apollo Pre Sale - typical post group buy markup?
« on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 18:35:25 »
Hey Guys,

Missed the GB for GMK Apollo and I absolutely love the set. Newish to the hobby and was looking to put together a space themed set up for my daily driver. Already have a few pieces in place and I really like the Apollo. I wanted to ask what typical prices / markups are for sets post group-buy. I am in the US and saw Daily Clack in AUS has the pre sale available which according to their discord will ship with the GB. The base set plus novelties plus shipping ends up being $255 USD. Is it worth hopping on Daily Clack's presale and paying that premium or is it smarter for me to buy an "Extra" from the US vendor or try to snag one off mechmarket way down the road?

Thoughts? Is that mark up on Daily Clack standard? Or am I being gouged for paying that much? The group buy price was 120 for the base and 40 for the novelties I believe.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 June 2020, 18:37:21 by sour_sake_ »

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: GMK Apollo Pre Sale - typical post group buy markup?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 18:56:05 »
There's some info on DC's pre-orders in their faq. They usually buy extras of the sets that they participate in selling.

Pricing differs set-to-set, but when you're buying a pre-order like this, you're paying premium over the GB cost because of things like up-front cost of buying all the sets to be bought as extras, inventory space for those sets, being able to simply buy the set online domestically - instead of waiting for someone to sell their brand new set on mechmarket (depending on demand, prices can be high here as well), etc

Offline sour_sake_

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 20:11:18 »
Thanks for this reply.

I have read the FAQ at daily clack, it mentions that "slight premium" but 255 seems really high. (nearly $25 of that is on shipping, and that's a fair price due to my location being across the planet, not blaming DC for that.) I guess my question is will TX Keyboards have the set as an extra at a lower cost?

Actually, my real question is this.

There have been about a billion group buys. What is the typical mark up for an "extra" Keycap set and when do they typically become available? The GMK Apollo discord has already indicated other vendors will be getting extras. Minus the shipping, is 230-240 a standard up-charge for a GMK group buy costing 160? (120 for base 40 for novelties)

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 21:12:46 »
Thanks for this reply.

I have read the FAQ at daily clack, it mentions that "slight premium" but 255 seems really high. (nearly $25 of that is on shipping, and that's a fair price due to my location being across the planet, not blaming DC for that.) I guess my question is will TX Keyboards have the set as an extra at a lower cost?

Actually, my real question is this.

There have been about a billion group buys. What is the typical mark up for an "extra" Keycap set and when do they typically become available? The GMK Apollo discord has already indicated other vendors will be getting extras. Minus the shipping, is 230-240 a standard up-charge for a GMK group buy costing 160? (120 for base 40 for novelties)

Yes that is a normal mark up for an in stock or pre-order (not Group Buy) GMK set. Just to give you a better ideal GB prices for a GMK base set run anywhere between $100 USD (very basic colorway, stock GMK colors used, etc.) to $125 USD (more complicated colorway, custom colors, etc.), while the going rate for any in stock GMK base set is $180 USD. Pre orders are kinda a case by case basis since not all GBs will have extras bought, but they will definitely have a markup closer to that $180 than further away from it. I would say if you really have your heart set on getting this set, just order it from Daily Clack since they are offering pre orders for the extras. The extras will most likely be the same price on the US sites so you'll just save on shipping by waiting on them to release thier extras & have no guarantee you'll get it.

Edit: BTW, IMHO the last thing you'd want to do is wait for the set to hit the aftermarket. All parts, boards, & keycap sets have been getting a very high premium on the aftermarket lately thanks to the sharp rise in popularity of the hobby & covid causing huge supply issues for vendors. Recently GMK base sets have been going for around $200 to $350 on the aftermarket depending how sought after/rare the colorway is so I wouldn't consider buying second hand a viable plan at all right now.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 June 2020, 21:24:22 by Rob27shred »

Offline sour_sake_

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 22:09:52 »
This* is the insight I was looking for. Thank you very very much.