7 (7.5%)
Don't care
8 (8.6%)
120x120 pixels
3 (3.2%)
Even smaller
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: Avatar size  (Read 73626 times)

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Avatar size
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 02:50:03 »
You might lose then. Votes for 100x100 have increased since the change. Not unsurprising really, since we agree that many don't bother to vote unless they have to. Now some of them feel they have to.

And yes Soarer, I do realize that 40 votes are not representative. But we won't get very many more votes unless it became mandatory to vote.

Considering the multiple threads you've started about this, and regular bumps to this one, AND it being in the banner... it's not just non-representative, it's pitiful! There's well over 300 users online even at this relatively early hour, and the vote count is barely 10% of that. I hate to think how small a percentage it is of the people who've visited during the life of this poll.... maybe 2 or 3%?!

It's safe to say that the vast majority are either happy with how it is currently, or simply don't care.

Hardly a mandate for change.

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 02:51:56 by Soarer »

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 02:53:51 »
You really hate change don't you Soarer... 50 pixels (some of them recovered from the previous margin) is enough for you to start a vendetta...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 02:54:11 »
I definitely noticed the moment I saw that the avatar size increased to 150x150, and find the increase in size to be awesome! I just hope it doesn't go to 100x100. I'd rather take an assured 150x150 over a chance of 184x184 if it means no 100x100.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 02:54:26 »
It's funny that with only a 50 pixel size increase I can now see that there are 2 women in your avatar. I didn't notice that before...
That's hilarious!

You might lose then. Votes for 100x100 have increased since the change. Not unsurprising really, since we agree that many don't bother to vote unless they have to. Now some of them feel they have to.

Agreed. I really didn't care, but then I thought about it a little more and it made sense to vote for 182x182. It's not like people can't use smaller avatars if 150x150 or even 182x182 wins.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 02:55:23 »
You really hate change don't you Soarer... 50 pixels (some of them recovered from the previous margin) is enough for you to start a vendetta...

Dude, there's a poll, this is politics.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 02:58:06 »
Agreed. I really didn't care, but then I thought about it a little more and it made sense to vote for 182x182. It's not like people can't use smaller avatars if 150x150 or even 182x182 wins.

This. Why not just give us the choice? People who want smaller avatars can just set their's smaller while allowing others to have larger ones.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 02:59:42 »
Changed vote :p
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:01:58 by Jocelyn »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:01:06 »
I definitely noticed the moment I saw that the avatar size increased to 150x150, and find the increase in size to be awesome! I just hope it doesn't go to 100x100. I'd rather take an assured 150x150 over a chance of 184x184 if it means no 100x100.

Very true (but I still want 184...).

I know there's a poll, and that this is politics. I am the lobbyist who started it all afterall. But there are vendettas in politics, and you have one against me.
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:04:16 »
I'm with you on that I'd also like 184. I don't get what's wrong with implementing more options that won't harm the community in any way. Are there technical difficulties?

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:05:42 »
Because a bigger avatar size means a bigger margin size... all the time, whether used or not.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:08:00 »

I know there's a poll, and that this is politics. I am the lobbyist who started it all afterall. But there are vendettas in politics, and you have one against me.

Discrediting the opposition is a time-honoured tactic!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:09:27 »
Because a bigger avatar size means a bigger margin size... all the time, whether used or not.

Ah I see. Didn't think about that. Thanks for the info :)

With that taken into consideration, my personal opinion is that I'm willing to sacrifice a lil' width in my chat box for a larger avatar.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:10:41 »

Can I ask what resolution your monitor is? I'm just curious lol

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:13:10 »

Discrediting the opposition is a time-honoured tactic!

My reputation is rock solid everywhere.

Can I ask what resolution your monitor is? I'm just curious lol

Didn't you see the old poll?

Quote from: Soarer
NO! Leave it the **** alone you bastard! I use an old ass CRT!
R.I.P.ster

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #214 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:19:27 »
Right, but what I'm asking is if the official rules state that as long as the majority of the total votes in the poll are towards 150 and up, we'll at least get 150, OR does whichever specific option with the most votes win? This is rather interesting :)

Whatever the majority of votes will be happiest with wins, NOT the SINGLE option that has the most votes. If the majority want bigger than 100, but 100 has the most singular votes, 100 loses.
R.I.P.ster

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:20:51 »

No, but everything else is beginning to make sense now. Hey Soarer, get over 4:3, go get an FW900 and run it at 2304 x 1440  :p

Here lol - http://www.accurateit.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_naru.tpl&product_id=1811&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

Edit - Sorry if I made the wrong assumption that you're currently using 4:3, but it's difficult to think you're using anything else after considering you want to keep tiny avatars :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:26:05 by Jocelyn »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:23:58 »
Right, but what I'm asking is if the official rules state that as long as the majority of the total votes in the poll are towards 150 and up, we'll at least get 150, OR does whichever specific option with the most votes win? This is rather interesting :)

Whatever the majority of votes will be happiest with wins, NOT the SINGLE option that has the most votes. If the majority want bigger than 100, but 100 has the most singular votes, 100 loses.

I feel so exposed! :))

My vote is back to 184 then because in the case that 184 doesn't win, it can still count towards 150 :cool:

No, but everything else is beginning to make sense now. Hey Soarer, get over 4:3, go get an FW900 and run it at 2304 x 1440  :p

As much as I love a good quality CRT monitor, it's time for an upgrade! Your only exception is if you're using a Sony FW900 FD 24" which also has a resolution of 2304x1440.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:27:19 by VesperSAINT »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:28:40 »
Is Jocelyn joining the cult of vintage gel? CONVERT HER MY APPRENTICE!
R.I.P.ster

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:29:30 »

Will do, master... after my shower :))

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:31:10 »
It's got nothing to with monitor size, that's just smoke from the pro- camp.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:31:51 »
It's got nothing to with monitor size, that's just smoke from the pro- camp.

Nobody asked about monitor size (totally irrelevant). The question was clearly about resolution  :p

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #221 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:32:25 »

That's just your interpretation.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #222 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:33:39 »

Ruh roh. Can somebody set this straight so I know where to put my bloody vote? :))

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:37:42 »

Will do, master... after my shower :))

Give her the link to that place that you say is too expensive for V2's.

OH! I found some vintage texture, those are firmer than jewel (what you have).

Ruh roh. Can somebody set this straight so I know where to put my bloody vote? :))

Keep it at 184, Rknize will grace us with his presence (and maybe some scolding) tomorrow.
R.I.P.ster

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 04:09:19 »

Will do. The ones on that site a V2 for sure, like mine, right? Man, mine is starting to show dents after the abuse it has taken over time from visitors who can't help but poke, scratch, and lean their entire body weights into it :( But other than that, it's still as pretty as ever and feels heavenly, and not leaking (THANK GOD)!

Keep it at 184, Rknize will grace us with his presence (and maybe some scolding) tomorrow.

Will do. Hopefully Rknize will confirm and bring us hope!

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #225 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 04:42:13 »

Will do. The ones on that site a V2 for sure, like mine, right? Man, mine is starting to show dents after the abuse it has taken over time from visitors who can't help but poke, scratch, and lean their entire body weights into it :( But other than that, it's still as pretty as ever and feels heavenly, and not leaking (THANK GOD)!

I got 2 V2's from that site, so it is safe to assume that the rest are as well. But watch out for those other brands he also sells and get the right ones. There is 1 *red and 2 *green left at $30.99 shipped apiece.

On a related note - The bottoms of those V0 mousepads sucks (they're deformed a bit)... I wonder if the V0 wristrests (if I ever get my hands on one) has the same bottom... So of the 4 good variations (0,1,1.5,2) I would have to say that the V2 is the most durable. (But full bodyweight and liquids are still detrimental, so make sure your visitors respect the gel.)

Will do. Hopefully Rknize will confirm and bring us hope!

I would be very surprised if what he says differs.
R.I.P.ster

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #226 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 04:46:41 »
I got 2 V2's from that site, so it is safe to assume that the rest are as well. But watch out for those other brands he also sells and get the right ones. There is 1 *red and 2 *green left at $30.99 shipped apiece.

On a related note - The bottoms of those V0 mousepads sucks (they're deformed a bit)... I wonder if the V0 wristrests (if I ever get my hands on one) has the same bottom... So of the 4 good variations (0,1,1.5,2) I would have to say that the V2 is the most durable. (But full bodyweight and liquids are still detrimental, so make sure your visitors respect the gel.)

I was just going to tell you that! I thought there was 3 greens left unless someone actually bought one in between the time you and I checked. I might have to buy myself one green one to back up for my ruby.

Depending on whether Jocelyn buys one or not, that last Ruby may be gone soon.

I would be very surprised if what he says differs.

I hope so!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #227 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 04:48:28 »
I want to the margin to be 300px wide because atm only having 150px margin is really hurting my ability to be creative

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #228 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 04:50:09 »
I want to the margin to be 300px wide because atm only having 150px margin is really hurting my ability to be creative

Can't tell if sarcasm but I hope you voted towards "Even larger" or 184 :))

Edit: sarcasm confirmed from first page :'( NO SOUP FOR YOU! I jest :P
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:07:18 by VesperSAINT »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #229 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 04:58:32 »
The best part of being the OP is that you can be off-topic all you want.

For your late night enjoyment:

While searching my username I found this interesting conversation. I hereby propose a thread where everyone searches their own username and posts a discussion about themselves by other people that you were unaware of until now. (Boy that was a mouthful...)

EDIT: I don't even remember what I was searching for anymore... DAMNIT!...

socal GHers > all you n00bs.

1st official GH meet up + The_Ed being there > all the rest

i was with u until you said the ed.

I wasn't joking.  he's a cool guy and knows his $hit. I think he might be the long lost son Ripster always spoke of
you're really not helping your case here

yeaaaaaaaaaaaah.

the_ed does seem like he knows his stuff. he just has a... strong personality.

Don't worry about The_Ed.  He just has minor Asperger.  That's why he likes those cheeky Cherry boards.  :p

Cherry brand boards are awesome. It's not "minor Asperger", It's Asperger's Syndrome AKA High Functioning Autism. It makes me Anal Retentive...
R.I.P.ster

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:06:18 »
Unfortunately, I'm not famous enough to participate :-[

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #231 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:09:20 »
Just search your username from the main page of GH (What page you search from matters). Find something funny that other people have said about you, and quote it in that other thread. After 888 posts there has to be SOMETHING good.
R.I.P.ster

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #232 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:21:05 »
Just search your username from the main page of GH (What page you search from matters). Find something funny that other people have said about you, and quote it in that other thread. After 888 posts there has to be SOMETHING good.

WHOA!!!!!!!!! I FOUND SOMETHING:

Tsangan is awesome. I would date him if I was girl. I might even considered going gay if he's into that sort of thing.
Reaper is the nicest guy here. I don't ever see him arguing with anyone about anything.
Demik is the coolest dude!!
JPM804 is my gun buddy. He only stops by once in a while to talk about guns in his thread.

Other cool people: Cactux, Halverson, SmallFry, Paddywagon, Jocelyn, VesperSAINT ...

I love you, mmmty!

If only it wasn't 6+ hours each way I would be more likely to go. But it's 2 states away... Hell if it was in Madison WI that would shave off like 3 hours of travel from the round trip.

Hmmm... If I do attend, what should I bring...
Too many expensive rare things that I don't want any greasy fingers on...
Switch testers for sure, but what else...
No, that's TOO geeky... (VesperSAINT knows, and is a convert)
Maybe my Grey 39 3494? (Yes, I have 2 3494's)
Stuff to sell if that's OK.
That modded G81 (removed helical springs) that fellow Minnesotans got to try out. (Yeah, It's STILL for sale...)
Is there anything else that you guys know I have that you think I should bring? (IF I end up going)

There's going to be so much stuff that I think only a few people should get their stuff out at a time. That way people can keep track of their stuff better.

Hopefully there will also be a second MN GH meetup as I will definitely be there for that.

The_Ed mentioned moi?! Honored :)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #233 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:23:20 »

Can't tell if sarcasm but I hope you voted towards "Even larger" or 184 :))

Edit: sarcasm confirmed from first page :'( NO SOUP FOR YOU! I jest :P

First the forum admins abuse my ability to be creative with insane 150px limits on side bar width, and now I don't even get any soup... The admins here are really something....

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #234 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:27:11 »
First the forum admins abuse my ability to be creative with insane 150px limits on side bar width, and now I don't even get any soup... The admins here are really something....

:)) I only jest, my friend. I made some Spicy Italian sausage and cabbage soup, if you'd like some.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:38:06 by VesperSAINT »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #235 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:34:19 »
Sounds repulsive... You actually eat that?!
R.I.P.ster

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #236 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:38:35 »
Lol! It's actually quite scrumptious. I cook a lot and I can guarantee! :))

Ends up looking something like this:

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:40:19 by VesperSAINT »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #237 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:47:09 »

:)) I only jest, my friend. I made some Spicy Italian sausage and cabbage soup, if you'd like some.

Ok, I'll accept your sausage, if you know what I mean...

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #238 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:48:40 »
It still doesn't look appetizing...

Welp, off to bed I should go. It's 5:47 AM, and the sun is rising...
R.I.P.ster

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:49:16 »
Ok, I'll accept your sausage, if you know what I mean...

It still doesn't look appetizing...

Welp, off to bed I should go. It's 5:47 AM, and the sun is rising...

Same here! It's 6:49 AM here, and the sun is already up... ^^;;

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 07:42:43 »

What?  No.  That's not how it works.  That's just silly.

Imagine that 184 had the highest single vote count, but 150 and 100 combined were larger.

Would you be saying "the majority want 150 or less, so that wins?"

Of course not.

Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #241 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 07:47:08 »
It's funny that with only a 50 pixel size increase I can now see that there are 2 women in your avatar. I didn't notice that before...

Seriously?

I'm on a 1920 x 1200 monitor and it's easy to see.

Maybe you need to get your eyes checked.

1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 08:01:57 »

Seriously?

Show Image

It's been pretty clear from this whole thread that ed has vision problems, and a strange love for Harry Potter.

Though to be fair, I really struggle to make out his new avy, I think it's suppose to be some fat child, maybe if it was bigger I'd be able to see it more clearly.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 08:06:35 by baldgye »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 08:03:42 »

Probably not, because when it started going in a direction you didn't like, you trashed it.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 08:05:26 »

Seriously?

Show Image

It's been pretty clear from this whole thread that ed has vision problems, and a strange love for Harry Potter.

Of course.  Maybe this could be his new avatar:

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 08:08:12 »

Seriously?

Show Image

Of course.  Maybe this could be his new avatar:
Show Image

maybe if it was bigger...

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #246 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 09:00:04 »
Some backlash is to be expected.  We'll just let this play out for a while.  I've got other things to work on.

I tend to agree that votes for even larger or smaller sizes than the current size should be aggregated.

With respect to the margin, it might interest you to know that we had an even larger left margin until I shrank it down on April 29th to recover some dead space.  I had to put some of it back to fit the larger avatars, but it is still slightly narrower than it was originally (by 1em).
Russ

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #247 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 09:12:40 »
I'm pretty sure I'll need the 184x184 to better express my stance.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #248 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 09:50:15 »
I personally like forums that allow portrait avatars rathar than the standard square ones as the allow for a bit more creativity. Most of the places that have had these though have been anime forums, though I dont know what that means in respect to GH.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #249 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 14:25:05 »
Some backlash is to be expected.  We'll just let this play out for a while.  I've got other things to work on.

I tend to agree that votes for even larger or smaller sizes than the current size should be aggregated.

With respect to the margin, it might interest you to know that we had an even larger left margin until I shrank it down on April 29th to recover some dead space.  I had to put some of it back to fit the larger avatars, but it is still slightly narrower than it was originally (by 1em).

Thank you for the info :)

I personally like forums that allow portrait avatars rathar than the standard square ones as the allow for a bit more creativity. Most of the places that have had these though have been anime forums, though I dont know what that means in respect to GH.

+1