7 (7.5%)
Don't care
8 (8.6%)
120x120 pixels
3 (3.2%)
Even smaller
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: Avatar size  (Read 73625 times)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Avatar size
« Reply #350 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:32:50 »
Baldgye, I did read most of it. It seemed like banter back and forth with no clear answer to my question.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #351 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:33:39 »
Baldgye, I did read most of it. It seemed like banter back and forth with no clear answer to my question.

Hypothetical extreme question: If the margin were not a factor, why not make the limit 500px?

Basically it boils down to wasting screen real estate to something that doesn't necessarily add value.

The counter argument to that is "you can turn off avatars".  That's true, but I like them, to a degree.  (Not including Ed's. I've seen higher fidelity graphics on a Vic 20. :P)

Either way I personally can customize my interface however I want with a combination of adblock and stylish.  I'm just having fun with the delicacies of number manipulation.

Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #352 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:35:11 »
Fair enough, I guess reading though the thread would be way too much hassle

This isn't nearly up to the standards of this board when it comes to the degree of severity when pointing out to someone that they missed a detail in the thread.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #353 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:35:31 »

From both threads that where made of this here are the arguments made for and against the change that I saw;

For
-more creativity
-people want it

against
-effort (implementing)
-reduces the content area
-adds no value and only adds more 'clutter'

This isn't nearly up to the standards of this board when it comes to the degree of severity when pointing out to someone that they missed a detail in the thread.

How so?
This dumb thread has gotten to 12 pages now and the previous thread was up to 5-6? I argued against the widening or the side bar to only ever get abuse in return because I didn't value the argument that 'but I want it'... then someone asks (again) well why don't you guys want it, as if these threads are brand new and those arguments never took place.

And I didn't know you where a mod.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:39:03 by baldgye »

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #354 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:35:55 »
It is logical. So is a weighted average, which (ignoring debate about how it should be calculated) comes out to something in that ballpark (in any case, closer to 120 than 150). With enough votes, wouldn't they be equal?

Because we're dealing with discrete values here, while I think the weighted average would approach the same value as my method, doubtful it would ever be equal.

Interesting that two different approaches come to nearly the same result though.

It is indeed!

There's another logical reason for 120 pixels - it's just about perfect for a pixel art 122-key model F, or a Corsair Vengeance K90. Maybe Ed can find a wider keyboard...

Alrighty, let me change my question. Soarer and The_Ed, what is wrong with leaving the limit higher (margin permitting, so 150px) if people still can use 100px, or 50px avatars?

Ignoring the 'margin permitting' part... because those 150 avatars take more vertical space as well. And let's face it, a lot of people will end up with them out of laziness, since most are downscaled from something larger.

Not ignoring the 'margin permitting' part... the simple fact is that 150px avatars required the margin to increase.

It's irrelevant that margins were 'wrong' at some point, then fixed by reducing them, then enlarged for 150px avatars, with the current width being about the same as the 'wrong' size. It's still larger than the 'fixed' size.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #355 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:43:16 »

How so?
This dumb thread has gotten to 12 pages now and the previous thread was up to 5-6? I argued against the widening or the side bar to only ever get abuse in return because I didn't value the argument that 'but I want it'... then someone asks (again) well why don't you guys want it, as if these threads are brand new and those arguments never took place.

And I didn't know you where a mod.

It was a joke.  I'm saying you weren't being nearly enough of an ******* like it seems too many people on this board are when telling someone they missed something.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #356 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:48:14 »
It was a joke.  I'm saying you weren't being nearly enough of an ******* like it seems too many people on this board are when telling someone they missed something.

LOL my bad bro <3 Being an ******* is something I take very seriously and I work hard every day to try and be the biggest ******* I can possibly be, but sometimes I mess up and **** it up.
I'll work hard in the future to try and make sure these **** ups and misunderstandings don't happen in the future.

xx

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #357 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:54:40 »
My vote is for 184, and I am against anything larger unless there is an option in the profile to scale them down.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #358 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:54:52 »
It's not just about space. All this margin talk is pointless.

To me, it's about distracting and gaudy design. I like Deskthority's 64px limit. 

Good thing I'm not dictator. :-)

---

Also, I was against the 184px originally and voted for 150px. But then we changed it to 150 temporarily and I realized how much I hate it. I changed my vote. I imagine it brought other folks here too. Anyway, it's a vote I guess. But I'll be using a user style to resize all your avatars down regardless. (And for bonus, I'll set a list of avatars to hide completely.) I'll share if anyone wants it once I'm done. :-)
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:00:50 by aggiejy »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #359 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:57:46 »
The simple fact is that the margin width makes little difference. What we are talking about here, in effect, is a 50px vertical difference. People can currently have signatures that are double that vertical space, at 120px high. So for a slight increase in vertical space (and that only for users that choose to use the increase), you get double the pixels available.

If you don't like seeing other people's avatars, turn them off. If you don't want to add to the vertical increase, make your own avatar smaller.

All this arguing over how votes should be counted is childish.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #360 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:04:36 »
I don't mind taller avatars either. A 3:4 or even 9:16 ratio avatar that's 100px wide looks good. Regardless, such things are subjective just like signatures.

The "then turn them off" argument is too harsh as they obviously both are useful. Thus, a personalized user style through a browser plugin unless/until such things are added ton the forum.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:06:18 by aggiejy »

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #361 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:06:33 »
It's not just about space. All this margin talk is pointless.

To me, it's about distracting and gaudy design. I like Deskthority's 64px limit. 

Good thing I'm not dictator. :-)

Bigger thing that isn't post == bigger distraction, as far as I'm concerned. The two arguments are linked.

Taste, however, cannot be argued into anyone.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #362 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:09:09 »
I don't mind taller avatars either. A 3:4 or even 9:16 ratio avatar that's 100px wide looks good. Regardless, such things are subjective just like signatures.

The "then turn them off" argument is too harsh as they obviously both are useful. Thus, a personalized user style through a browser plugin unless/until such things are added on the forum.

Well I'd certainly welcome being able to turn of post counts, personal texts, custom titles, messaging icons, etc. to reduce the clutter!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #363 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:12:00 »
I do feel that the forum does look worse from a design perspective with the avatars as large as they are atm

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #364 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:12:53 »
The simple fact is that the margin width makes little difference. What we are talking about here, in effect, is a 50px vertical difference. People can currently have signatures that are double that vertical space, at 120px high. So for a slight increase in vertical space (and that only for users that choose to use the increase), you get double the pixels available.

That's a terrible argument, since anyone with any taste turned signatures off long ago.

</facetious>

... since most sigs are not pushing the limits, or anything close.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:14:35 by Soarer »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #365 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:13:54 »

The "then turn them off" argument is too harsh as they obviously both are useful. Thus, a personalized user style through a browser plugin unless/until such things are added on the forum.

Well I'd certainly welcome being able to turn of post counts, personal texts, custom titles, messaging icons, etc. to reduce the clutter!

Not sure if you saw my post regarding Stylish

You could customize the user style (see http://userstyles.org/) a bit to get exactly what you want.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #366 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:15:28 »

That's a terrible argument, since anyone with any taste turned signatures off long ago.

I resemble that remark!   Truth is, very few people have signatures, and almost nobody has graphics in them (those I adblock anyway).

Think a board option where sigs are collapsed with one button to expand them (without the sig creator having to use the "more" tag) would be useful.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #367 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:16:24 »

You could customize the user style (see http://userstyles.org/) a bit to get exactly what you want.

Sure, if it comes to it I'd love something like that! Far better to have it done in the forum code though.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #368 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:19:32 »
are the sig high limits really 120?!

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #369 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:46:21 »

Sure, if it comes to it I'd love something like that! Far better to have it done in the forum code though.

Yeah, the drawback with userstyles is sometimes you get a momentary flash when the page loads.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #370 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 18:11:54 »
Ahhh... much better. :)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #371 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 18:13:23 »
How did you do that, via Stylish?

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #372 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 18:50:10 »
How did you do that, via Stylish?

Yep! Here's what I used: http://j.youens.com/P4wu  Just a quick (and small) adjustment, but seems to work great in Chrome.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #373 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 20:20:11 »
Having too much fun messing with things.  Personally a fan of fixed width and grey.  (<3 Deskthority design!) 

Here's a *quick* take after messing with CSS for a bit.  Boring header though.
22502-0
22504-1
22506-2

But yeah, sadly there's a quick flash when the page loads. 

Offline ikoma

« Reply #374 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 19:41:50 »
Can we get GIF avatars?
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 19:47:44 by ikoma »
QFR x2 | HHKB Pro2 | IBM Model M2 x2 | IBM Model M | Razer Blackwidow | NeXT Keyboard (Alps)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #375 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 22:48:44 »
Already have!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ikoma

« Reply #376 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 23:18:01 »
Oh wow, could have sworn I tried uploading a gif, heh.
QFR x2 | HHKB Pro2 | IBM Model M2 x2 | IBM Model M | Razer Blackwidow | NeXT Keyboard (Alps)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #377 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 00:52:51 »
There are overall size and number of frame limitations I saw somewhere.

I tried mine, and it worked :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #378 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 01:00:08 »
There are resizing issues if I remember correctly. If you resize it yourself to 150x150 pixels, and then upload it, it *shouldn't* break the animation.
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #379 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 00:52:09 »
Profile -> Look and Layout ->

It uses JS so that the aspect ratio is maintained when constraining both width and height (to avoid abusers).  You might see a glitch on page reloads, but normal page loads should be fine.
Russ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #380 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 00:59:34 »
Very cool, thank you Rknize. :)
I've set my avatar back to 100px. :)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #381 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 01:02:27 »
Pretty cool that you can give us the choice. No 184x184 option?
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 June 2013, 01:18:36 by VesperSAINT »

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #382 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 01:08:31 »
184x184 causes other problems with the template layout.  It could be fixed, but frankly I don't want to burn any more time on new avatar features.  I still have to fix the GIF upload bug and want to do some other stuff.
Russ

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #383 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 01:16:58 »
The ability to choose will make more people happy. 150 looks a lot better than 100, and that's a compromise I was willing to make to get an increase at all. If 184 isn't in the cards, then so be it. Thanks for all the work Rknize.
R.I.P.ster

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #384 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 01:17:50 »
184x184 causes other problems with the template layout.  It could be fixed, but frankly I don't want to burn any more time on new avatar features.  I still have to fix the GIF upload bug and want to do some other stuff.

I see~ Thank you for the answer and spending some time to give us the choice :)

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #385 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 01:31:48 »
Unless there is objection I will close this thread tomorrow.
R.I.P.ster

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #386 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 06:58:18 »
I object! Why the obsession with closing threads these days!

Thanks rknize, that's working nicely :D

Any chance of options to disable custom texts and/or locations? :p

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #387 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 07:46:00 »

Show Image

It uses JS so that the aspect ratio is maintained when constraining both width and height (to avoid abusers).  You might see a glitch on page reloads, but normal page loads should be fine.

I can't see that option :/

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #388 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 07:49:52 »

Show Image

I can't see that option :/

this is what mine looks like if that helps!

24002-0

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #389 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 12:22:24 »
Ah do I need to use a custom theme??

Offline Glissant

« Reply #390 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 12:27:20 »
Just go to the look and layout. It's there in the two themes I checked at least. Default and nostalgia.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #391 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 12:41:58 »
ahhh I got it, was trying to find the 'look and layout' and couldn't see it on the drop down menu, never thought to just click on my profile... cheers!

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #392 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 12:46:34 »
It should show up in all of them.  They all use the same template for the profile.

Edit: glad you found it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 June 2013, 12:48:18 by rknize »
Russ

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #393 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 14:18:28 »
I object! Why the obsession with closing threads these days!

Fine then, it will be left open to lobby for the second thing that people wanted during my polling - A fullsize Avatar and post in a user's profile to tell about oneself. How plausible is this Rknize?
R.I.P.ster

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #394 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 17:19:18 »
Both are perfectly plausible!  How probable, I dunno.  :)  Maybe start a new thread about user profile enhancements?  I don't see any reason to close the thread.
Russ

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #395 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 09:23:19 »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #396 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 09:41:38 »
OK, since Soarer has taken up the second part of this in another thread, I will close this one now.
R.I.P.ster