Author Topic: [IC] Southpaw 65+, an Alps+MX 65% with a left hand numberpad (GB OPEN NOW)  (Read 69364 times)

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
Re: [IC] Southpaw 65+, an Alps+MX 65% with a left hand numberpad (Second IC)
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 00:53:45 »

This is the Alu case right? Did I read it correctly that it will only support alps?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #201 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 01:50:27 »
quote author=GreyAmbience link=topic=88951.msg2509619#msg2509619 date=1508564962]
Is the purpose of the acrylic defuser for PCB protection, since I don't think there is underglow support?
Hmm, I think I completely forgot to mention that, but there is RGB Underglow for this, but yeah, also for PCB support.

That is so freaking awesome!
Will the underglow be able to shine though the alu case though?

[/quote]

Underglow will not shine through the Alu case for this one. The case is CNC'd out of a solid block of aluminum with no openings on the bottom of the case. On the raw case that I have pictured, if you max out the brightness in a dim room, the underglow does show through the gap between the plate and case and it looks pretty neat. I'll see if I can grab some photos of that when I have time
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #202 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 02:01:09 »
Show Image

This is the Alu case right? Did I read it correctly that it will only support alps?

Ok, so this is something that I have to clear up

There are three case options. An aluminum case which is the one pictured, a bent steel and an integrated steel case. The aluminum case has a separate plate whereas the bent case and integrated plate are basically the case and plate in a single structure.

The plates are different for ALPS and MX. I decided to go with separate plates for each switch mount because of the number of keys packed together for different layouts would make the plate basically ineffective for some alps keys and you'll basically be completely supported by the PCB, which in areas withs lots of layouts, is akin to swiss cheese.

So the CNC case itself will be the same for alps and mx mount, just with different plates. If you wanted to, you could purchase a second PCB/plate in a different mount and swap it into the case. The bent plate and integrated case will be cut for differently for MX and alps switches, therefore, if you get an alps compatible bent plate or integrated case, you won't be able to do anything to use it with MX switches.

I feel that this could be a little more clear and would like some feedback on how this should be explained before I start the GB so that nobody is confused.

Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #203 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 04:52:10 »
Show Image

Ok, so this is something that I have to clear up

There are three case options. An aluminum case which is the one pictured, a bent steel and an integrated steel case. The aluminum case has a separate plate whereas the bent case and integrated plate are basically the case and plate in a single structure.

The plates are different for ALPS and MX. I decided to go with separate plates for each switch mount because of the number of keys packed together for different layouts would make the plate basically ineffective for some alps keys and you'll basically be completely supported by the PCB, which in areas withs lots of layouts, is akin to swiss cheese.

So the CNC case itself will be the same for alps and mx mount, just with different plates. If you wanted to, you could purchase a second PCB/plate in a different mount and swap it into the case. The bent plate and integrated case will be cut for differently for MX and alps switches, therefore, if you get an alps compatible bent plate or integrated case, you won't be able to do anything to use it with MX switches.

I feel that this could be a little more clear and would like some feedback on how this should be explained before I start the GB so that nobody is confused.

I think a problem people have is figuring out what's what because there are 3 cases, two are pretty similar and they are all metal :) What material are the int. and bent cases?
I think I get it though. Basically there are 3 types of cases in MX or Alps and it can be a little confusing unless it's simplified for people. Here's how I would explain it:

Options

• Thick CNC Alu case + plate MX
  • Thick CNC Alu case + plate Alps
  • Thin Integrated case MX
  • Thin Integrated case Alps
  • "Floating" bent plate case MX
  • "Floating" bent plate case Alps

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #204 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 05:00:06 »
One last thing to clarify: does it come with the thick, duck style feet or cone feet? I’m hopping it’s the former ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #205 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 15:57:33 »
One last thing to clarify: does it come with the thick, duck style feet or cone feet? I’m hopping it’s the former ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It'll come with two sets of the duck style feet. One in 9 degrees and one in 4 degrees. It's also compatible with cone feet which will give an angle of 7 or 8 degrees iirc.

switchplate.co

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #206 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 16:02:10 »
I just have to praise you reconsiderit, this board is fantastic. The layout is outstanding, the options are so many and the price sounds like it will be very decent.
Thank you for doing all this work!

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 20:05:13 »

Alright, so the XDA keyset that goes with this will looks sorta like this. Not final, but shouldn't really change too much. The 20 blanks on the left are offered as an add-on kit and is an additional 10ish dollars. The base will be $60-80, but just waiting on the quote from the vendor now who will be organizing this with MZ and doing the dye-subbing. The colors should be the same as XDA Milestone and the mods should also be the same, but I'm going with the left-top justified legends with this set.

Also, threw GMK Yuri onto the board last night and it looks gorgeous.

switchplate.co

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #208 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 22:31:11 »
Will it be possible to get that XDA keycap set with Alps stems, or just Cherry?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 23:45:54 »
XDA is available on cherry only as molds for the Alps profile only exist for Signature plastics DSA and DCS iirc.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #210 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 02:10:50 »
Alright, haven't opened up checkout yet, but I have the page set up. I'll be starting orders this week, but wanted to give you guys a preview of the order page so if anything is confusing, I can revise it before it goes live.

https://switchplate.co/collections/southpaw-extended-65-group-buy

switchplate.co

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #211 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 02:32:43 »
It would be helpful if you added a picture showing the different color options for the cases and anodized plates.

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #212 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 08:24:26 »
It would be helpful if you added a picture showing the different color options for the cases and anodized plates.
I agree

Offline crzone

« Reply #213 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 08:38:41 »
This KB has me interested but I have a bunch of questions.

Assuming that I want to buy a bent plate KB and I already have some switches, I would have to buy at a minimum the PCB, the MX Bent Plate and some stabilizers, right?
In addition, are the feet compatible with the bent steel case or are they just for the aluminum case?
What is the cost of the delivery for Europe?
What payment methods are there?

Thanks!

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
Re: [IC] Southpaw 65+, a 65% with a left hand numberpad
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 12:03:13 »
Would it be possible to add a bottom row like this to the pcb/plate.
Show Image

It would allow people to use 7u spacebars which some people love.

EDIT: It would also be pretty cool if the numpad could be flipped (so that the enter key and the rest of the symobols are on the left side of the numbers instead of the right).
Show Image

Is this 1.5, 1, 1.5 bottom row going to be supported?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #215 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 12:22:10 »
Show Image

EDIT: It would also be pretty cool if the numpad could be flipped (so that the enter key and the rest of the symobols are on the left side of the numbers instead of the right).
Show Image

The 1.5/1/1.5 bottom row isn't supported iirc, but I'll check when I have the board in front of me. I think it was because we couldn't cram the pads for 1u, 1.25u, and 1.5u all into a single space with the other keys we were trying to fit there.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #216 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 19:18:41 »

Assuming that I want to buy a bent plate KB and I already have some switches, I would have to buy at a minimum the PCB, the MX Bent Plate and some stabilizers, right?
In addition, are the feet compatible with the bent steel case or are they just for the aluminum case?

Thanks!

Working with candykeys in Germany to organize a sorta last minute EU proxy. It means that the GB will take a little longer (a few days at the most) before it opens, but I think that it'll make it much more accessible to people in the EU.

switchplate.co

Offline tigerali

« Reply #217 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 20:45:07 »
Local pickup is also available.

yas!

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #218 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 05:19:38 »
Show Image

Show Image

The 1.5/1/1.5 bottom row isn't supported iirc, but I'll check when I have the board in front of me. I think it was because we couldn't cram the pads for 1u, 1.25u, and 1.5u all into a single space with the other keys we were trying to fit there.

It should be possible but it is not that easy, you need to shift the pads around the holes off centre to allow room between the pads, something like this https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=90060.0;attach=174426;image

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #219 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 05:25:52 »

Thanks!

Working with candykeys in Germany to organize a sorta last minute EU proxy. It means that the GB will take a little longer (a few days at the most) before it opens, but I think that it'll make it much more accessible to people in the EU.
That would be so amazing

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 13:44:35 »
Show Image

Show Image

It should be possible but it is not that easy, you need to shift the pads around the holes off centre to allow room between the pads, something like this https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=90060.0;attach=174426;image

The issue that we also ran into was the stabilizer holes since we couldn't do plate mount stabs in most places. This is the issue with the numpad where the enter and 2u 0 would interfere at the pads and stab holes. The UK78 was able to accommodate it because of how it didn't have the 1u at the end where this has the right handed arrow cluster. Basically, it's limited to 2, at most 3 sizes at one location, but since we had offset pads for a 1u, 1.25u and an offset 1.5u closer to the center of the three keys, we couldn't accommodate the standard 1.5u on the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

switchplate.co

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 15:02:26 »
Not important, just curious; What color will the pcb be?

Offline graefeln

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 16:03:20 »
Might have already been answered and I just missed it but, if we choose an option that doesn't meet MOQ, will we get a chance to change it to something that does? I plan on going for an Alps plate with the CNC case and don't expect too many of those colors to actually hit their number (hope I am wrong though).

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 17:13:11 »
Show Image

Show Image

+1 for flipped numpad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #224 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 18:18:27 »

Most likely black or white, looking at the feedback from the interest check. Leaning towards white as it'll reflect underglow better.

switchplate.co

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #225 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 00:37:54 »
Site needs images, otherwise looks good.
Prices also look good.

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #226 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 00:42:44 »

Most likely black or white, looking at the feedback from the interest check. Leaning towards white as it'll reflect underglow better.
Good idea. Underglow is important

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #227 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:57:02 »
Do we need to fill out of the IC. Is it for the buy are is it to just judge things? are you still looking at the 200 price tag?

Offline ktrezzi

« Reply #228 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 16:50:15 »

Thanks!

Big thanks for that buddy! You are the real MVP! It looks like your seriously thought about EVERYTHING!

Cant wait!

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 01:50:45 »

Up and running now. Locking this thread when the GB post is passed by the mods. Huge thanks to everyone who has helped out and provided input. Really looking forward to getting these boards out to everyone. All the tiny changes and decisions will be posted to the GB thread. Working on an Asia/Oceania dist. at the moment, so stay tuned for that. 

North America: www.switchplate.co

EU: www.candykeys.com
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 October 2017, 01:53:37 by reconsiderit »

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 02:06:34 »
GB - Southpaw Extended 65% - Integrated Case - is the PCB included?

Not included. The integrated case is the case and plate as one unit. You'll need the integrated plate and PCB at a minimum.

switchplate.co

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #233 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 02:09:14 »
So, I need to choose from
1) GB - Southpaw Extended 65% - Bent Plate: MX
2) GB - Southpaw Extended 65% - PCB.

I thought the integrated case includes the bent plate?

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 02:18:29 »
Awesome!

I can't seem to click on the banner or find the keyboard on CandyKeys? Anyone has a link to the buy?

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 02:22:13 »
I can't even seem to search it

https://www.candykeys.com/?s=Southpaw

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 02:23:06 »

Forgot to mention, but it hasn't be published yet. Should be done soon.

switchplate.co

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 02:27:34 »

Forgot to mention, but it hasn't be published yet. Should be done soon.
I see :)
Thank you so much for getting an EU proxy <3

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 03:06:32 »
For the "GB - Southpaw Extended 65% - Integrated Case" I only need a pcb as minimum?

Yeah, PCB and integrated case.

To complete the board, you would then need stabilizers, switches, and keycaps.

switchplate.co

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #240 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 04:00:15 »
For the "GB - Southpaw Extended 65% - Integrated Case" I only need a pcb as minimum?

Yeah, PCB and integrated case.

To complete the board, you would then need stabilizers, switches, and keycaps.

Thanks.

Offline GreyAmbience

« Last Edit: Tue, 31 October 2017, 05:06:07 by GreyAmbience »

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #242 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 05:05:31 »
Also a good idea to add this to OP and reddit: 

Aluminum CNC Case

PCB
Aluminum CNC Case
Plate (optional, but highly recommended)
Stainless Steel Bent Plate

PCB
Bent Plate
Stainless Steel Integrated Plate

PCB
Integrated Case

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 09:10:12 »
A bit disappointed that the blue and grey for the cases are so light, but excited this is finally happening nonetheless so I'm in for all black.  Also dumb question, but when you say the plate is optional but highly recommended, is that just for protecting the PCB or does it have another effect?

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #244 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 09:29:10 »
A bit disappointed that the blue and grey for the cases are so light, but excited this is finally happening nonetheless so I'm in for all black.  Also dumb question, but when you say the plate is optional but highly recommended, is that just for protecting the PCB or does it have another effect?
It provides stability for the whole thing og protects the switches soldering from loosening up over time. I have a board with out switch plate and it works fine but top plate feels more stable.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #245 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 10:36:01 »
Which ALPS boards would have keycap compatibility for the far right column? Most of Ortek 84 and a little bit of siig minitouch

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #246 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 15:36:45 »
When will the EU proxy start?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #247 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 19:45:41 »
When will the EU proxy start?

There's a holiday in Germany right now and it seems that everyone is off work till thursday, so expect it to be open sometime around then. I'll be updating it here and on reddit, as well as on the project page on switchplate.co .

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #249 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 20:18:54 »
AU and NZ please?

AU and NZ will most likely be run through KP on taobao. I'll put a link up when they have the page finished.

switchplate.co