Author Topic: [IC] SA Semiconductor (PLEASE TAKE THE POLL AND SHARE YOUR OPINION)  (Read 14537 times)

Offline CharismaIllya

Re: [IC] Semiconductor, a Transistor Inspired Keyset (Now with novelties)
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 13:14:15 »
I like where this is headed.

Personally, I think the Camerata set with some VBV colored accent keys would look neat.

That does look pretty neat.
144684-0

A little Dolch-y, but that's not a bad thing.

I also tried it with VBV legends:
144686-1

Not bad at all

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 16:44:52 »

Personally, I think the Camerata set with some VBV colored accent keys would look neat.

camerata one looks amazing

I was messing around with the colors and came up with this, which I think is pretty cool:

144704-0

What do you think? Should I stick with the white/red alphas, or does this look good?

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 16:47:58 »

I was messing around with the colors and came up with this, which I think is pretty cool:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

What do you think? Should I stick with the white/red alphas, or does this look good?

I like the white/red alphas more. I am partial to lighter alphas with darker mods. I know that some people prefer the converse though.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:28:53 »

(Attachment Link)

I like the white/red alphas more. I am partial to lighter alphas with darker mods. I know that some people prefer the converse though.

Yep, everybody has their preferences. I don't really know how to feel about the new one either, so I'll sideline it for now. As for your first request for green accents, here's what I have beyond the KLE renders I made earlier:

144732-0

I have to say that I think this version and its inverse with the grey/gold alphas are probably the best ones so far. All of the game's main colors seem to get representation.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 07:47:17 »

(Attachment Link)

Yep, everybody has their preferences. I don't really know how to feel about the new one either, so I'll sideline it for now. As for your first request for green accents, here's what I have beyond the KLE renders I made earlier:

I have to say that I think this version and its inverse with the grey/gold alphas are probably the best ones so far. All of the game's main colors seem to get representation.

Hm, I am not sure about that. The game has a lot of browns, yellows and oranges to frame the blue accents. Representing them in just the legends is not enough, imho.

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 08:00:40 »
blue accents with a child kit for red accents would be awesome imo

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 08:02:38 »
As for the novelties:

1. Copyright?
2. Probably way too detailed for Double Shot caps :/

Offline AresTheGod

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 11:48:09 »

That does look pretty neat.
More

Love this one !

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 13:20:44 »
great colors!  Love the Red/Black/Yellow

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 19:11:24 »
As for the novelties:

1. Copyright?
2. Probably way too detailed for Double Shot caps :/

Well copyright isn't stopping GMK Hydro, so it won't stop me ;). You're right about the images being too complex though. Void() and Cull() will likely work with some modification, and maybe Bounce() as well, but Breach() will probably not make it there. I was working on a version of Jaunt() that would work, but I'm not done with it yet. As for the gripe about the lack of oranges and browns, I've really been trying to address this. Every time I add orange or brown as a keycap color instead of a legend color, the set becomes too bright. I'm sure there's a good way to do it, but I haven't found it quite yet. Do you have anything in mind?

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 20:19:46 »
You know that Transistor is an indie title, right? I think they might actually be cool with the keyset if you just ask them (after you have a great set with support from the community hehe)

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 21:13:00 »
You know that Transistor is an indie title, right? I think they might actually be cool with the keyset if you just ask them (after you have a great set with support from the community hehe)

Yes, I am aware that Transistor is an indie game, and yes, I was planning on contacting Supergiant before I officially used any of their assets or anything similar to them. Though I guess I sounded like I would use them without asking before. Call it a joke in poor taste. Anyways, I don't know how they'd react to a request like that, but I'd hope they'd like the idea. And yeah, I'd love it I people liked my idea, but it still needs work, and people might not like it then anyways. Here's to hoping.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 15:48:09 »
Sorry, this wasn't intented to sound ill-intended. Just saying that indies should be supported as much as possible :) I wonder if they would even contribute to the keyset (help on the colors or novelties) if we ask them nicely. Would need a good intro of the scene and the specific idea, probably.

Anyhow, good luck on the set! looking forward too more iterations!

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 18:19:26 »

(Attachment Link)

thats pretty tight dude. how does it look with gold legends on the alphas and pink legends on the mods?

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 22:59:32 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

thats pretty tight dude. how does it look with gold legends on the alphas and pink legends on the mods?

Looks like this:

145016-0

Maybe it would look cooler if I made the alpha legends darker and the modifier legends lighter.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 17:09:41 »
Sorry, this wasn't intented to sound ill-intended. Just saying that indies should be supported as much as possible :) I wonder if they would even contribute to the keyset (help on the colors or novelties) if we ask them nicely. Would need a good intro of the scene and the specific idea, probably.

Thanks! It didn't really sound ill intended at all. I asked for criticism and I got some. Can't really complain about that. Anyways, with regard to your suggestion, I came up with this, which really puts the orange accents in the forefront:

145164-0

The alpha colors are taken from the menus: dark, cool black with cyan details, and the modifiers are taken from the burnt orange and red dusk of the city skyline. The modifiers are for the Camerata/Process. I think it's a little indulgent, but every step is progress.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 21:08:19 »
I love this set & hope it makes it to production. I don't have any takeaways & love it how it is!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 18:03:51 »

Thanks! It didn't really sound ill intended at all. I asked for criticism and I got some. Can't really complain about that. Anyways, with regard to your suggestion, I came up with this, which really puts the orange accents in the forefront:

(Attachment Link)

The alpha colors are taken from the menus: dark, cool black with cyan details, and the modifiers are taken from the burnt orange and red dusk of the city skyline. The modifiers are for the Camerata/Process. I think it's a little indulgent, but every step is progress.

This is definitely one of my favourites from this thread. Perhaps something with a little more contrast for the mod legends?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 23:14:16 »

(Attachment Link)

This is definitely one of my favourites from this thread. Perhaps something with a little more contrast for the mod legends?

Well here's a version with brown legends, which was the reddish color that looked the most clear:

145214-0

After using brown and looking through some more pictures like these (http://imgur.com/a/qbv7x), though, I did one with gold/brown modifiers that I think looks nice and thematic:

145216-1

I could work with either of these.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 23:16:43 »
I love this set & hope it makes it to production. I don't have any takeaways & love it how it is!

Thanks! It's nice to know that someone liked the first design. Although the set will probably change some more before I try making something out of it, I hope it still ends up being something you like :D.

Offline gerankle

Re: [IC] Opinions on a Transistor Inspired Keyset (DSA or SA R3, ABS)
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 01:46:28 »
I'm liking the idea on this one. Personally, I suggest you slim down to VBV, BDG, RAC and YCF as the primary keycap colors with the blacks/greys as the font. Don't mind me, I just really like bright sets  :)

Well then you're gonna love this!
(Attachment Link)

I just can't find a subtle way to use all of the bright colors as bases rather than legends without throwing away most of the colors. I'm sure there's a better way to execute it that's beyond my skill, but I just can't bring myself to like anything that I make. And while I don't want to be stubborn, I'll fight for my cyan/blue alphas! I'd give them up if it was for the best, but I'd have a hard time parting ways with them. :'(

I think this is the best color combination. The colors fit the concentrations found in the sword a lot better IMO.

Would buy. Great game, would be a great keycap set. Also, love the novelties.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 11:55:51 »
I'm liking the idea on this one. Personally, I suggest you slim down to VBV, BDG, RAC and YCF as the primary keycap colors with the blacks/greys as the font. Don't mind me, I just really like bright sets  :)

Well then you're gonna love this!
(Attachment Link)

I just can't find a subtle way to use all of the bright colors as bases rather than legends without throwing away most of the colors. I'm sure there's a better way to execute it that's beyond my skill, but I just can't bring myself to like anything that I make. And while I don't want to be stubborn, I'll fight for my cyan/blue alphas! I'd give them up if it was for the best, but I'd have a hard time parting ways with them. :'(

I think this is the best color combination. The colors fit the concentrations found in the sword a lot better IMO.

Would buy. Great game, would be a great keycap set. Also, love the novelties.

It seemed like quite a few people liked that version, but I thought it was too bright to represent the game. I redid it with darker mods though, and I like it quite a bit now.

With red/white accents:
145307-0

With black/red accents:
145239-1

Do these do anything for you?
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2016, 20:09:59 by CharismaIllya »

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 15:42:38 »
vote for the beige black version

Offline gerankle

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 16:52:45 »

It seemed like quite a few people liked that version, but I thought it was too bright to represent the game. I redid it with darker mods though, and I like it quite a bit now.

With red/white accents:
(Attachment Link)

With black/red accents:
(Attachment Link)

They don't seem darker than the original? And they're both the same picture haha. Wrong uploads?
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2016, 17:10:50 by gerankle »

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 20:08:20 »

With red/white accents:
(Attachment Link)

With black/red accents:
(Attachment Link)

They don't seem darker than the original? And they're both the same picture haha. Wrong uploads?

Ha yeah, that was the wrong upload. Here's the other one:

145305-0

And as for the colors, compare YCF to YG here:

It's less vibrant, which I think is nice.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2016, 20:12:37 by CharismaIllya »

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 20:14:51 »
vote for the beige black version

Do you think it would help to make a poll and see which version is the most popular? Everyone seems to want something different :confused:.

Offline gerankle

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 20:33:27 »
It seems there are a few possible options, all of which are up in the air a bit. I think focusing on the themes would be good. The three I've seen here are the Camerata, the Transistor, and the city?

Maybe narrow down designs for all three and then poll for most interest?

I feel like based on the design for the sword (and its wielder, Red), this design has been the most fitting. It has the yellow of the recent designs, but the text color from the old design.

145309-0

As for the Camerata, this one looked great! But with the novelties of course.

145311-1

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 03:29:43 »
It seems there are a few possible options, all of which are up in the air a bit. I think focusing on the themes would be good. The three I've seen here are the Camerata, the Transistor, and the city?

Maybe narrow down designs for all three and then poll for most interest?

I feel like based on the design for the sword (and its wielder, Red), this design has been the most fitting. It has the yellow of the recent designs, but the text color from the old design.

(Attachment Link)

As for the Camerata, this one looked great! But with the novelties of course.

(Attachment Link)

Camerata set will have gold legends on the accents, like this:

145359-0

And the other set looks like this:

145361-1

A sort of inverted version of the original.

I'll put these three up in a poll and update the post tomorrow.

Offline qrin

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 08:01:22 »
Ah I love the Camerata set! Not so much a fan of the blue and yellow but it looks beautiful as well!

Offline CharismaIllya

Re: [IC] SA Semiconductor (PLEASE TAKE THE POLL AND SHARE YOUR OPINION)
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 13:19:47 »
Shameless bump to give visibility to my poll :blank:. Really appreciate the input.

Offline AresTheGod

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 13:28:51 »
My vote goes for the Camerata, love the red/white !

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 16:41:16 »
My vote goes for the Camerata, love the red/white !

Thanks for the input! I don't think I'll have a tremendous amount of votes, but the Camerata set seemed popular, so my money is on that one.

Offline Geckt

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 12:38:01 »
Camerata 1, if the yellow is red instead on the black caps would be really nice. The yellow seems out of place somehow.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 14:16:33 »
I like the novelties!  Kill the windows key.  And my vote is for camerata.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 15:33:46 »
I actually like Cloudbank the best out of the original post, but the blue accent dolch-ey looking Camerata with VBV legends is even better (from post #50)!

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 18:54:42 »
Camerata 1, if the yellow is red instead on the black caps would be really nice. The yellow seems out of place somehow.

Like this?

145896-0

It looks good, but I like it when the legends contrast more. Does white do anything for you?

145898-1

I wanted to avoid white because I think it looks kind of generic, but it doesn't look bad.

I like the novelties!  Kill the windows key.  And my vote is for camerata.

Thanks! Don't know about the image novelties, but I'm rather happy with the text novelties myself. And yeah the windows key is just a placeholder. It'll probably just say "super" like the rest of the SP sets I've seen.

I actually like Cloudbank the best out of the original post, but the blue accent dolch-ey looking Camerata with VBV legends is even better (from post #50)!

See, I'm finding myself in a bit of a turmoil over this. People seem to like the Camerata set the most, and I agree that it's the most cohesive of the three, plus there hasn't been a white/red set in a while, but I'm not sure I'd call it Transistor themed. I think that both the current and the original Cloudbank set (I don't think I ever shared the original:
More
145900-2
. I thought it was too similar to the recent Midnight set) are the sets that best represent the game, so I'd like to save the Transistor theme for either of those sets if it ever happens, and push ahead with the Camerata set under a new theme (I was thinking Communist propaganda, but that overlaps too much with Yuri). The other thing is that I'm dying to use VBV in a set. I've never seen it used before (Jukebox and Midnight used VCO), and it's a beautiful color, so I was really hoping to make it to market with one of those designs.

All that aside, the VBV legends on white caps is just impossible to read, so the alphas just wouldn't work, but the VBV accents are nice. I hope I or someone else can find a way to use them for something. Thanks for the support!