Author Topic: Opinions about HHKB Studio and about topre market at all.  (Read 286 times)

Offline zlobin356

• Hi! My name is zlobin, im a big korean keebs fan!
Opinions about HHKB Studio and about topre market at all.
« on: Wed, 22 May 2024, 12:10:27 »
Hello guys! :cool: I want to raise a topic about the relatively new HHKB Studio and also about the Topre market in general. Do you think a prebuild with features from TEX and strange Kailh box type switch is worth this price? Does the market need new Topre keyboards with features like QMK and a solid case from the factory and in-stock?

I’ll be honest, I have big doubts about HHKB Studio, considering its price and what it offers for the money, I see it as a simple prebuild whose price is ~60 bucks. Of course, these are all preferences, but I would like to get a QMK, Wireless (?), some more interesting mount for the money. Why can't Fujitsu/Realforce give us this? :(

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Akko ACR59/Tecsee Sapphire(L)/Shenpo
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2/MX Blue/Cherry POM

Offline LavenderB

• I believe in unix control supremacy
Re: Opinions about HHKB Studio and about topre market at all.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 May 2024, 14:56:42 »
I think the hhkb studio is simply a bad product. It doesn't appeal to Topre enthusiasts, because it's obviously not Topre. But who else would be willing to pay a premium of a PFU product? It will still probably sell somewhat well but I don't really understand the reasons why one would buy it, unless it's because of the lack of other obvious options for a keyboard with a pointing stick. I guess this is an issue with Topre and PFU in general: being big brands, they don't really adjust to the needs of relatively small enthusiast communities, but they can't really appeal to the mass market with their niche design and high prices.

I saw a screenshot of a discord announcement from Matt3o saying that he plans to talk to Topre about the possibility of making enthusiast-oriented keyboards. He wanted things like aluminium cases and more layout options. Personally, all I want are QMK 7u Realforces with all of Topre's dome weighting options and the old ivory colour scheme.
Safa | 1993 UK ISO-DE Model M  | Frog TKL | 3d printed bakeneko | Akko 5075s

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: Opinions about HHKB Studio and about topre market at all.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 May 2024, 23:58:22 »
I mean pfu has never been a enthusiast brand, the hhkb is just a product that happens to cater to a lot of enthusiasts with it's layout and switches. There is definetly a reason why they went the route of using mx silents and implementing things such as a trackpoint, mouse buttons and gesture controls, it's far more appealing to the mainstream audience which is their biggest market by far. I think customisability was the biggest factor why there was change (and it probably being cheaper than producing everything for topre switches)

It's really only been quite recent where customising keyboards has really hit the mainstream (probably like 2018-2019) and that has been a huge factor, so it's probably more beneficial for them to switch, plus people are more used to mx nowadays.

Honestly I don't think they need to change the hhkb apart from adding qmk, there doesn't need to be a new one.