Author Topic: It's GIVEAWAY Time #2 !!!!!!! "" WINNERS ANNOUNCED ""  (Read 23504 times)

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
Re: It's GIVEAWAY Time #2 !!!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:31:53 »
I love mechanical keyboards because typing on any thing else lacks the satisfaction of the click and bumps with each key press, From typing on something with a beautiful layout like the HHKB to the memories of child hood that stir when pounding away on an old model m.  Besides as we all know anything else just feels wrong.
eh o well

Offline Data

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:35:47 »
Mainly: KEY CAPS

I also like how the modularity of mechanical switches has enabled new and exciting key layouts like the Ergodox and Planck.  It's a great time to be a mech fan.

Keep up the great work, Martin.

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:42:08 »
I love mechs because of the customization. I cherish my Granite set almost as much as the keyboard it lives on and nothing is more exciting than new artisan caps coming in the mail. Signature Plastic and Massdrop have quickly become my favorite companies.

I also love mechs because they've made me a better typist. Before them, I didn't use the home row as strictly as I should have and the notion of using a modifier with my right hand was unheard of unheard. Now, after seeing all the beautiful 60% everywhere and getting a Poker of my own, I'm slowly coming around to fluidly using right modifiers properly. And heavily considering swapping to another layout, preferably building my own matrix keyboard with the workman layout. They make my fingers hurt less and have made me type a bit faster. And they're my favorite hobby too!

Besides, how cool is this?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Thanks for doing this contest martin. Reading through all the posts in this thread, it doesn't look like you could make a bad decision  :). Leaving me with why we're all here, mechs have one of the best communities any hobby could ask for!
Filco Majestouch II (B) | Poker II (BR) | Cherry G80-11900 (BLK) | Das V3 (BR) | RS84 (soon...)

Granite | Skull Squadron | Deep Space | Raindrop R2 | Hyperfuse GMK (soon...)

Offline orbitsjupiter

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:43:59 »
I love the mechanical keyboard because I use it for hours and hours every day. It is probably most used piece of hardware. A mechanical keyboard can say a lot about you and you can customize it to be whatever you want (as long as you have the money). There is a mechanical keyboard for everyone (switch type, layout, keycaps, etc.) and I feel they are very underappreciated by many people.

Offline nogamesplayed

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:44:11 »
Initially I bought a mechanical keyboard to help with my RSI. It helped greatly. But I quickly fell in love with the feel of the keyboard-- I was no longer pressing a soft surface, but a mechanical switch, and I could feel it with every key-press. This retro mechanical feel somehow allows me to connect with every character I write, and I enjoy it every time. Then there is always the customization and, more importantly, the communities that come with it. Whether its on GH or other places like DT, the community working together and doing things like this is what makes me love mechanical keyboards.
--------->[WTB] Radeon HD 7950 or better<---------

Offline renne

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:48:36 »
I love mechanical keyboard because it can be fully customized. I like things that can be different from others.
Also, I use them a lot, typing, gaming, coding, etc. I love the feeling of click and clack.

Offline kebby

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:49:03 »
I love the sound, some people listen to office sounds when they work but I'll choose a Cherry MX blue soundtrack over that. I love being able to customize the tools of my trade: choosing the keycaps from some of the amazing designs that people in this community come up with, cases, novelty and artisan caps.  It's amazing to have something that looks like an 80s style keyboard if you wish. I love them for being good to my hands and letting me avoid bottoming out.

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:55:03 »
I saw this contest posted on Reddit and as a new mechanical keyboard used I decided to give it a shot!

I love the mechanical keyboard because every time I type on it I feel like royalty.  Like I'm worth a million bucks.  The ease of typing has opened up creative avenues I thought were long gone.  Now I can just sit on my PC for hours and just type stories simply because I actually enjoy typing them out.  It is so refreshing to hear the key clicks and see the letters pop up on the screen.  One feels such mastery over the keyboard.  The connection between keystrokes and letters appearing on my monitor is deeper, more natural.  My hands feel like they are massaging the smoothest skin.  I never knew what this was like, I always thought myself content on the rubber domes.  No longer!

Offline skrotnisse

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:56:39 »
The keycaps are red,
The switches are blue,
I love my mechanical keyboard,
It survives a ragequit, or two.

Offline zlee

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:58:46 »
Growing up, I never knew how good I had it. My father was (and still is an employee at IBM) My house was filled with buckling springs everywhere. With 4 PC's in my house growing up in the mid-80's my entire household was awash in the soothing sounds of the clicking of keys and the pinging of buckling springs. Eventually membrane keyboards became the norm, and with the loss of PS/2 inputs on computers my use of the buckling spring faded.

For years I went without typing on a mechanical keyboard. My mother dismissed our household Model M's as junk and threw them away. It wasn't until years later that I realized what a shame it is that they are gone. I now type on a board with MX blues, which brings back incredible feelings of nostalgia happily clacking away on the magnificent Model M. Cherry switches, dual LED's and the variety of keycaps has brought about a new joy to the typing experience, and with it an incredible and expensive hobby. My wallet hurts, but my fingers are happy as can be :)

Offline Permeability

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:08:48 »
They make my fingers feel tingly.
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline GankIndustries

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:18:53 »
Because I can actually enjoy the sound of something else besides music while coding. Also, reds feel like boobs.
Poker 2 Clears
V2 Reds
60% Alps loading

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:19:59 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they love me back.  I can see their LEDs winking at me from the other side of the room.  I sigh and try to look away, but my eyes keep sliding back to where the keyboard is sitting provocatively on the edge of my desk.  I try to resist, but eventually make some excuse to go over to my desk and sit in front of my keyboard.  I smile and idly tap the Caps Lock.  The LED winks back.  I tell my keyboard my closest secret - my login password - safe in the knowledge that my keyboard will never betray me.  Instead, as I tickle it's keycaps the switches respond with a smooth purr.  Pressing a single switch results in a single click, like a clock ticking away our time together.  Every now and again I will strip my keyboard down to its bare switches, carefully and gently brush the imperfections away, and then dress it in a new set of keycaps.  I have a different mechanical keyboard at home and at work, and they never complain about not being the only one.  They are responsive to my lightest touch.  Sometimes I buy them a little special surprise, like a CC, a Bro Cap or a Gas Mask, which my keyboard wears with pride.  I love my mechanical keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Arcanitte

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:23:08 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they are everything I could want. I love the feel. I love the customization.  I love the durability. I love the opportunity for a great weekend project. I love everything about them.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:33:22 »
To be entirely honest with you i fell in love with mechanical's because I think they represent a very primal interaction between man and technology.

I know its not really much of a difference but the extra travel and weight of my MX green board makes data input something that feels almost 'physical' like I'm building something or actually interacting with the data.
This is something that is totally absent in touchscreen and almost gone in the rubberdome/scissor switch keyboard.

for me mechanical keyboards also represent a sort of 'technological fetishism'. its like a star wars set piece or something from a cyberpunk novel. The mechanical keyboard feels like what technology 'should be'. its rough and basic in its own way. but its beautiful in its design and engineering. its rouged and manly but it can be used to write and create beautiful things.
Ultimately for me the mechanical keyboard represents the most complete "form" of what data input is. its like the samurai sword, its an object that embodies so totally what it does that it becomes a symbol for the activity it was designed to do.

and in the future i think mechanical feedback will come back in a major way as we get into virtual reality headsets and others types of spaces where tactile feedback will be able to better bring the user into the end experience.

Mechanical keyboards remind you that you are a PERSON using technology, they highlight the distinction and the dance of man and machine.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:36:32 »
That first push of the button will always blow your expectations away.
For me, It's the thrilling anticipation to try new things. With each new addition, the search brings you closer to your perfect board!

In that search, you will meet many friends. Friends that appreciate minute details; I love talking to others that are so finely tuned, and carefully detail-oriented.
In appreciating ergonomics, design and  touch of these small mechanism together, the experience is amplified.
There is a certain look and feel that each of us enjoy, and respecting different styles makes for a great community!
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:54:04 by sorijealut »

Offline Telephasic

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:41:56 »
I <3 mechanical keyboards for the culture that surrounds them.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:43:10 »
double post sorry!!

Offline Coreda

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:48:56 »
They keep my fingers from having a bad day.

And open up a world of stunning keycaps :)

Offline geniekid

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 18:01:45 »
I love mechanical keyboards because of the way I feel after finishing a months long project :D  Typing on something I assembled, designed, and/or modded myself is very gratifying.  Plus, there are so many ways to customize a keyboard that I'm never out of ideas for more projects.  It's the perfect hobby!

Offline zuno1997

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 18:10:22 »
best part of having a mechanical keyboard? i spent all my life with an old 1999 rubberdome microsoft keyboard and every singlekey was loosen and felt awful to clic, or sometimes it didn't even work. bough my quickfire TK and i won't ever go back to using a rubberdome keyboard.

Offline kaesve

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 18:11:44 »
This is kind of a love letter to my brand new HHKB JP. As a programmer, I spend a ton of time behind a computer, most of which I am using a keyboard. It is my main tool in creating things and one I can not do without when doing everyday stuff. As such, I want to make it mine, I want to be able to tweak and modify it for my needs and make it feel like an extension of myself. Not only does this make me much more efficient, a solid and beautiful keyboard also makes working on a computer that much more fun. It is almost like driving a racing car.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 18:27:31 »
It something that I can fully customize and make my own that will get use everyday for the rest of my life. The different types of caps, switches, layouts, allows for multiple boards for multiple purposes, one for work, home, travel. The possibilities are endless. The feedback from a mechanical keyboard is something wonderful, both the auditory and tactile. I love my board and my collection of caps and boards will continue to grow so long as I can fund it. I can also show off wonderful artisan caps that I love and cherish

Offline phearboner

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 18:30:53 »
I love the variety of choices there are whether it is the looks from different types of key caps to the different sizes of caps to different layouts of keys and different types of switches. They each have a unique feel that we can pick for our own preferences! :D

Offline zoipas

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 18:44:02 »
I love mechanical keyboards because of the feeling and the sound. Rubber domes are just too dull  ;D

Offline sinerex

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:01:39 »
Mechanical keyboards are something which I enjoy at home for gaming with my cherry blue and at work with  my cherry brown. I enjoy the tactile responsiveness and its easily become something I recommend to my peers. Lastly comes the MODs, I enjoy showing off my cubicle/ workstation at home and enjoy customized keycaps, cases and other modifications.

Thanks for running this contest I follow you guys under my blog Instagram too! ~Kloud / ~Sin

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:05:22 »
I guess you could say I like having a cherry on top (or eh, beneath..)

Those caps are awesome. Thank you for doing this!

Offline anon90119

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:09:27 »
I love mechanical keyboards, because of quality build. When you buy one, you can almost be sure that the build quality on it will be perfect.
Also, I love artisan keycaps and would love one of your caps to be my first artisan cap

Offline jordansimone18

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:25:20 »
I love my mechanical keyboard because when my "gamer" friends show of their new "awesome" keyboard with color changing LED's, I whip out my Cooler Master Rapid-I and show them the MX Browns with the real tactile feel.

Offline JAquino

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:38:43 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they feel like sex in your fingers.

Offline litesung

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:46:56 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they are not only a functional improvement over rubber domes, but allow the owner to personalize and express themselves.  The community for our hobby is very welcoming, and have spawned the birth of many great artisan services.

Offline Angry_Onions

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 20:10:29 »
I love mechanical keyboards because I use a keyboard every day of my life and it is just so nice to type on. The sounds of typing are just the best, and it makes me want to not wear my headphones  just to hear the sound of typing. I like the ability to build or customize everything that I own, just so that I can get an understanding of how it works and what I can do to fix it. The customization possibilities of customization are really endless. You are only limited by what you can think of.The thing I really like the most is that if anything on my keyboard should ever break, I can just replace the parts instead of having to replace the entire thing. I like when things that I own can last generations, and the ability to swap out simple units of the whole is one of the best features. I also like them because of the switch durability. I've had many cheap rubber domes and specific keys would always wear out in a matter of a couple of months, and I could feel them getting mushier by the week. I've had this keyboard for the better part of 2 years and every single key still feels the exact same as when I bought the board. I also love the hobby that has come out of owning a mech. It is the durability, consistency, customizability , and comfort that I have grown to love and expect from all mechanical keyboards.

Offline 01111000

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 20:15:20 »
Mechs give great feedback (either tactile, audible or both), lasts longer than traditional keyboards due to superior construction while having better features (such as the second programmable layer of the Poker 2 and equivalents) and finally offers immense customization options that truly allow you to make a keyboard that feels and looks as you want it to.
Poker 2 w/ MX Clears | Ducky Shine 3 w/ MX Blues | CM Novatouch

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 20:57:34 »
I love mechanical keyboards because I love how each one of them reflects a person's personality. Everyone has a different customization on each of their keyboards and its fascinating when I get to see other people's setups. I remember upon first entering this hobby I was browsing the "Post your _____" threads in the Geek Hack Media subforum for ours. My KBPv60 has a couple gifts coming its way if only Massdrop would hurry up.

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:11:22 »
I love mechanical keyboards because of feels and customization! Most importantly though the passion / obsession of everyone else in mechanical keyboards, who share the same love for everything functional and beautiful about them   ;D

Offline telnet

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:31:33 »
I love mechanical keyboards because you can't make your own rubber dome from scratch.

QFR Frosty Flake | 7bit Phantom

Offline jvarg

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:50:32 »
Honestly, I don't know where to start.  Typing this up on a Poker II with Cherry MX Blues, Hammer case, and Vortex PBT+POM keycaps for backlighting, I'd have to say it's not just about the comfort and advantage over most rubber domes, but about creating your own unique experience.  It's about passion and the community, regardless of how cheesy that sounds.  The fact that there are already 3 pages of posts clearly displays that mechanical keyboards transcend functionality.  Anyone that's registered on this board have found it in themselves to seek out others that enjoy the whole scene as much, or possibly even more, than they do themselves.  We get to share our passion for the scene amongst each other.  People might call us crazy for spending the money and time on the boards we have, but to us, they're the crazy ones.  I love mechanical keyboards, and I'm glad I can share the love with you.

Thank the artisan cap makers.  Thank the group buy leaders.  Thank board manufacturers.  Thank the switch builders.  Thank the community.  Thank you all for being able to support each other in something that we all happen to be passionate about.
HHKB | 87UB | 23UB | FC660C | FC500RR

Offline elton5354

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:54:02 »
I love the click clacks from MX Blues :D

Offline Tinchy

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:56:44 »
I love mechanical keyboards simply due to clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack.

Offline Trippyginger

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:16:10 »
I love mechanical keyboards because of many different reasons, there are many different switch types which you can choose from; if you need to be quite get blacks or reds or if you just love that iconic "click clack" get blues. There are many different feeling switches in which you can pick from just depending on which you prefer.

Offline kohi

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:32:22 »
I love mechanical keyboards mainly because of the endless possibilities for customization - and of course the different sounds and feels you get from each unique switch. it's nice how people can choose different switch types and keyboard sizes depending on their needs. plus it's awesome to see many communities share the same interests and passion towards keyboards from all around the world.

thanks for holding this giveaway :D

Offline ButtLauncher

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:35:38 »
Made an account for this, hope thats okay. I got into mechs because I was building a new pc, got a nice pair of headphones, i nice mouse and wanted my keyboard to also be nice. Did a bit of browsing before i first heard of mechs. Now, im interested in what makes a switch a good switch for a keyboard and i justify my keyboard collecting by learning about what makes a good keyboard switch. I have to test them all! Im also a mechanical engineer, so that helped as well. Also, ive always loved small form factors. Im a small guy myself, so maybe that has something to do with it, but i have a small desk with a mITX build on it with a poker II sitting by it. Sometimes, less is more.

Offline geogga

• gosh dang GH and their GBs
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:40:41 »
I love mechanical keyboards because I love the sound (personally using blues) of it and the huge variety of keyboards there is. I never knew there was a TKL or a 60%, or even a 40% like the JD40.
I was using some generic HP keyboard that i didn't like and well, my first mechanical keyboard was the Ducky! There are tons of switches I've yet to try out (a good thing for my fingers but a bad thing for my wallet). The fact that you can build one, which I've yet to do, makes this hobby even more exciting and awesome.
My fingers love me!

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:52:16 »
Gosh, is there anything i can say that hasn't already been said? let's give it a shot. 
I'll break down my reasons why i love mechanical keyboards.

Feeling
This is probably one of the most important reasons as to why we're all here and why the mechanical keyboard can easily win anyone over after one try. These mechanical switches just obliterate any rubberdomes in terms of how they feel under your hands, don't like how a certain switch feels? try another one! there's so many kinds of switches out there that i would argue that it's impossible to not find a match for someones needs.
The halfway actuation point of mechanical switches is a godsend for any typist or gamer, the fact that you don't HAVE to bottom out a key to register your keypress leaves less room for error that can save that extra keypress/correction in your long workday or lead to the victory of the game.

Customization
There's so much you can do with a mechanical keyboard that i have to break this down into categories!
Lighting
With individually lit keys you can choose to have each key on or off or even completely different colors!
Then we also have side LED's to give even more customization and a wicked ambiance.
Keysets
The selection for keysets is almost endless and continues to grow in variety each day and could even do with a broken down category. The color combinations and designs vary so much that anyone can find a keyset that they could just sit back and stare at all day.
On top of color and designs we also have different materials to choose from like ABS, PBT, POM, Zinc, and Aluminum to suit your every needs.
Keycaps
On top of keysets we have individual keycaps as well, whether that be fun novelty printed/dyed caps to amazing hand crafted artisan keycaps that also vary greatly in design and color.
O-rings and landing pads
You can also put O-rings or landing pads to both quiet down the key when you bottom them out and also shorten the keypress. They also come in different hardness levels to suit your preference.
Cases
Keyboard cases vary in design and shapes and materials to suit your wants/needs from high angle aluminum cases to low profile acrylic cases, you WILL find one you love.
Switches
Not only can you find different switches with different characteristics but you can mix and match different switches on a single keyboard to suit your needs. Play a lot of FPS games but like typing? some people swap their WASD/space bar switches to linear Cherry MX red switches while keeping their other keys with tactile Cherry MX blue. Some people even have completely different switches on each row or even each column, some Topre keyboards come with varying weights along the columns as well.
On top of the variety of switches you can also modify the switch itself by swapping in lighter/heavier springs to suit light/heavy heavy typers, you can lubricate them to give them a smoother feel and even put stickers between the top and bottom switch case to eliminate that tiny wobble.

Sound
I love the fact that every switch with different combinations of keycaps, o-rings, and lubrication make different sounds. It's almost strange how satisfying the sound that all the different switches make to add to the feeling of typing that makes it so easy to type for hours.

Longevity
Many people see the prices of mechanical keyboards and think they are outrageously overpriced compared to the regular rubberdome keyboards that cost $10-20 or even backlit gaming keyboards that are $50-80 but many people are not aware that most mechanical keyboards will probably last a a lifetime or longer.

Sorry for the insanely long article but there's honestly so much that i love about mechanical keyboards that i can't just be like "cause they're awesome" these things have to be said!

I also just want to thank martinyeah for this opportunity at winning this amazing piece of art, when i saw the Raven key i was literally freaking out about how beautiful it is that my wife came to check up why i was making so much noise.
Thank you for the opportunity martinyeah!!!
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:56:09 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:10:23 »
because i can let my geek out in a fun and constructive way.  i love tinkering, designing and building stuff.  mech keyboards are awesome because there are so many different variations of different things you can try or innovate on.  just a lot of fun...

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:19:53 »
I love mechanical keyboards because not only are they extremely great when programming, they also allow people to express individualism in this day and age when everything is mass produced. Everything ranging from Alps to topres, they are all wonderful innovations that shows the distinctiveness that we as people have.

Offline TheBean

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:23:46 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they provide tactile and auditory feedback which can't be delivered by rubber dome or scissor switch keyboards. I also love my MX keyboards because they let me fit them to my liking with different switch types and keycap sets/novelty keys. With mechanical keyboards there is room for DIY projects which I have never seen done before with rubber domes (eg: ErgoDox, Smart68, etc). They also last basically forever, and if they do eventually wear out or break, they can be fixed with a little time and effort. However, my wallet hasn't liked the prices too much  :p

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:42:44 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they're the gateway between myself and my future.

I wouldn't be where I am today without my keyboard. Every assignment, lab, paper, homework, or research topic I've ever written on, has been through a keyboard. It's the medium between myself, and a digital representation of my thoughts. For that reason, my keyboard is always very close to me. It's also why I don't mind spending a little bit of time to customize it. It's such an important tool of the digital age, and worth the time and effort to individualize it.

Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline flourrr

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:51:00 »
Well, aside from all the reasons that the previous comments have mentioned such as the feed back of the switch, the customization, the sounds; I would like to add that, I love explaining the advantages and the feeling of owning one mechanical keyboard (or 2, or more) to people who question my insanity of spending hundred of dollars on a keyboard. Many of them end up buying a keyboard for their own. That's what I love about it, the "magical way" of mechanical keyboard that connect people together, hahahahahahahaha.
0/28.

Offline c4103

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 00:56:22 »
My first mech was my k95 with MX reds.  I dove in headfirst and was immediately blown away by the difference in typing.  I shortly bought a Poker II with blues afterward and several keycap sets, DSA dolch for the Poker and Galaxy Class for my k95.  I actually use all of the macro keys on it while playing FFXIV and I am constantly looking for new vanity caps for them.  Aside from the obvious advantages of the mechanical keyboard itself, the community has done a lot for me and the way I type.  I am a software developer and for years I was typing in QWERTY on a rubber dome keyboard and had no idea how much it was hurting my hands.  I switched to Dvorak about 3 months ago and haven't looked back.  My wrist strain has basically disappeared and typing feels much more comfortable.  One day, after an intense coding session, I just looked down at the Dell rubber dome that I was using at the time at work and said "why."  People spend so much money on stupid stuff everyday.  Why not invest good money in something like a nice keyboard that you will use every day.