Author Topic: What is the best free easy VPN ?  (Read 34591 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
What is the best free easy VPN ?
« on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 10:04:08 »
Title says it. I haven't used a VPN but figured that I should probably start. Currently using Linux Mint.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: What is the best free easy VPN ?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 14:14:25 »
VPNs require internet bandwidth in both directions and bandwidth is not free - if anyone offered me a free one I'd run away as it has to be a scam.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 19:29:46 »
What do you hope to accomplish using one?
The whole privacy argument is a B.S. one made by the VPN providers.

Really the only reason to use one is for business (for remote access) or you want to watch something out of region/behind a firewall.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 20:45:42 »

Really the only reason to use one is for business (for remote access) or you want to watch something out of region/behind a firewall.

I got a 2nd notice from AT&T about infringing on somebody's copyright.
I think it might have been from downloading an episode of The Orville or Strange New.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 21:40:43 »
VPNs basically require twice the data and Torrents use a TON of data, torrents also use a truckload of I/O operations, most VPN's frown on that use for them and it will cost you more (Tor networks frown on it for the same reason). Worse, unless they purge records you can still get an infringement notice through them unless you have a host in a country who doesn't care but that means sending the data further.  You have to be concerned if they get hacked, get sued, or simply sell the data, MANY VPNs are SHAAAAAADY as heck.

Don't forget if your VPN, browser or client crashes it can expose your true IP, happens more than people think. Crazier still, many studios (and feds) have deals with major ISPs allowing them to look at the data and that allows them to fingerprint the data, the feds have at times cracked TOR this way.

BTW
The upload is what gets you in trouble and torrents by default seed/upload, find a method that doesn't upload.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 01:08:40 »
you can pay for a seed box instead and vpn to that. though you probably don't need the vpn since your service is not directly connecting to any torrent

Offline Coreda

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 04:22:52 »
Don't forget if your VPN, browser or client crashes it can expose your true IP, happens more than people think.

There are ways to both detect a VPN going down and prevent falling back to the regular ISP gateway at the router level to avoid this scenario if one is using a decent router OS. Most won't look into how to do this though.

Crazier still, many studios (and feds) have deals with major ISPs allowing them to look at the data and that allows them to fingerprint the data, the feds have at times cracked TOR this way.

I mean, government agencies have been able to use lawful interception (LI) for mirroring data for ages when needed at the network level though it would have been more useful before HTTPS was so widely adopted. The most I've read regarding Tor de-anonymization has been compromised nodes and careful analysis of timings/etc, or separate investigative methods which were enabled by target slip-ups in other ways.

Have a link regarding the film studio comment? I've heard proposals by them for ISP content filtering but not opening up traffic analysis to them before.

Offline Francisco

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 04:34:45 »
Title says it. I haven't used a VPN but figured that I should probably start. Currently using Linux Mint.

I recommend surfshark.com - it's almost free at $2.49/month (24 month deal).
It's useful for streaming from geographically restricted locations/services.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 11:02:55 »
Have a link regarding the film studio comment? I've heard proposals by them for ISP content filtering but not opening up traffic analysis to them before.
No, and you won't easily find it because they outsource it.
The studios themselves aren't doing the torrent tracking, they hire an outside firm to do it for them.

Regardless, the MPAA has worked with ISPs before and ISPs are selling more data and access to data harvesters and various governments all the time. Between being cheap, data caps and just generally a terrible company can you think of any reason Comcast (and to a lesser extent Charter or Cox) wouldn't give them (or a third party working for them) access for the right money?

Can I prove it, no, would I put money on it, absolutely.
They know it can be done because the feds did it, so why can't they.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 12:53:14 »

I got a 2nd notice from AT&T about infringing on somebody's copyright.
I think it might have been from downloading an episode of The Orville or Strange New.

This is why I obtain my shows via a site that uses trackers that obtain to it (the site) and don't signal out to the ISP - been using one site for 12yrs w/out issues from Comcast/Xfinity or even Verizon (when I lived in MA).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Coreda

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 22:22:45 »
No, and you won't easily find it because they outsource it... Can you think of any reason Comcast (and to a lesser extent Charter or Cox) wouldn't give them (or a third party working for them) access for the right money?

Can I prove it, no, would I put money on it, absolutely. They know it can be done because the feds did it, so why can't they.

The advantage law enforcement has with the ability to intercept wholesale user traffic when warranted is it's legal ꞉p, as they have lawful interception legislation. Not sure how well it'd end for ISPs if they sold such access to arbitrary third parties, even if to a lesser degree we have examples such as GPS location data being found sold illegally by some US carriers (including AT&T and fined for it).

With a VPN at least one is wrapping the connection in an encrypted tunnel to the endpoint, though there's also a performance trade-off (from the type of VPN protocol used, the router specs, the VPN service, one's internet speed). Of course the service has to be trusted in such a scenario and also not sure how well some VPNs take to usage like torrenting either as others have mentioned.

Mullvad is about the closest to being reasonably trustworthy but they're not free and not sure what their policies on usage are.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 July 2022, 22:24:54 by Coreda »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 07:25:15 »
the private tracker is unbound from the monitor deployed by mpaa,  but the isp still knows what you dl.  they just won't hassle you about it.

a seed box can be made completely opaque,  that said, i highly doubt the seedbox company wouldn't sell you out,

so, there aren't any economical methods to move large quantities of (worthless) data like this invisibly.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 11:06:05 »
we have examples such as GPS location data being found sold illegally by some US carriers (including AT&T and fined for it).
You're kind of proving my point here.

We already know they're willing, even if it breaks the law.
Selling to a third party just requires adding it to the terms of service, ever read them?
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Coreda

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 13:43:47 »
We already know they're willing, even if it breaks the law. Selling to a third party just requires adding it to the terms of service, ever read them?

I'm sure they'll get right on adding any such dubious practices to their ToS :p Though of course it's something I read and even correct customer service from time to time about their own written policies.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 July 2022, 13:46:26 by Coreda »

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 July 2022, 03:27:53 »
I use Nord VPN, not that expensive, but works for me.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline PolygonicKeys

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 December 2022, 02:42:43 »
Protonmail has a "free" VPN service when you have an email address with them. Keeping in mind there are only 3 locations available with the free version.
I think they are still, Japan, USA, Netherlands.
“Freedom is the open window through which pours the sunlight of the human spirit and human dignity.”

Offline Ferty

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 04 March 2023, 01:40:12 »
To get around the bans, you need to install a VPN service. I really liked the VeePN service, try this out . You can download this program from their official website. It won't be too hard for you. On the site, you can also buy a premium account, rate the app, add countries to your favorites, read extended instructions, and set up vibration. Good luck and have a nice day!

Offline Marboard

• Marboard.net
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 06 May 2023, 09:28:45 »
Proton vpn is free and is decent. There are some downsides that being it limits your connection sometimes, only has 3 places to connect to and may sell your data. I've used it on Manjaro linux and it works fine.

Offline Aquarius

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 10 June 2023, 16:12:29 »
I recommend surfshark.com - it's almost free at $2.49/month (24 month deal).
It's useful for streaming from geographically restricted locations/services.
[/quote]
Useful, collect :D

Offline Mandan

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 27 June 2023, 19:56:45 »
A) you usually lose some bandwidth with a VPN, and get increased latency.  Not usually enough to be a deal-breaker, but it can be annoying if you're already on a slow connection.

B) some ISPs block known VPN addresses; if your ISP does, you can't get to your VPN.

C) some web sites - generally, large commercial ones - don't accept connections from known VPN nodes.  They usually like to send you a nasty message implying you're a scumbag stealing the bread from their children's mouths.

VPNs can be useful, but unless you have a specific need for one, they're a lot of hassle.

Offline Rebel

• MAZANet
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 14 March 2024, 07:23:20 »
I gave NordVPN a try since it's often recommended as one of the best VPNs out there. However, I found it didn't quite meet my expectations. Despite its strong reputation, I experienced slower speeds than anticipated and occasional connection drops, which was pretty frustrating when I was in the middle of something important.

My experience improved significantly when I switched to using a residential proxy. Residential proxies use real IP addresses provided by ISPs, making them more reliable and less likely to be blocked compared to traditional VPNs. I noticed a considerable improvement in speed and quality, which made my online activities smoother and more enjoyable. This switch made a big difference for me, especially in terms of maintaining consistent speeds and having a more seamless internet experience.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2024, 11:32:36 by Rebel »