Author Topic: Recommend me a backpack  (Read 14142 times)

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
Recommend me a backpack
« on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 16:14:41 »
So I'm in the market for a (new) backpack, to carry around laptop, papers, keyboard (in a box), etc.
Currently I'm using a no-name branded one, which has lasted me good, for some 6+ years, but is slowly falling apart.

It'll be used for my usual commution, back and forth to work, to friends and family, so on and so forth.

I usually carry around these items, so it should fit as many as these requirements as possible:
    - 14 to 15" laptop space. I don't like big laptops, and wouldn't want to ever carry around one larger than 15", so that will be the size.
    - Block of paper. I write notes by hand, and will most always have a block of A4 paper in my bag.
    - External mouse.
    - Keyboard, in a box. Standard TKL and under. I don't expect it to be an easy fit, but there should be enough space for it.
    - Pens. Some 3ish pen-holders would be ideal, I like having easy access to them.
    - Smallish things, stuff like usb drives, phone charger, etc.

Extra pockets are a plus, I have a tendency to seriously pack my backpack, if what it can hold, can suffice for a few days trip, or similar.

So yea, I'm looking for something durable, not necessarily cheap, and I'm not in a particular hurry.

I'm not particularly fond of messenger bags, but feel free to suggest one, I want to keep my options open.

International (EU) aquirablility is also a plus, shipping and VAT fees can quickly kill a good deal!

Thanks,
I like cats.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist

Offline elton5354

Re: Recommend me a backpack
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 16:25:19 »
I have a Deuter Futura 28 backpack with its awesome back support and air ventilation. Check them out.

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 16:43:39 »
I use one of these, they make them for men and women.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-North-Face-Borealis-Backpack/dp/B006D10O2E

Holds all my stuff, I travel between locations a lot with work and it takes everything I need including a macbook etc.

It's my second one, the first is a general throw around and take away for weekends now it's been battered and doesn't look great turning up for clients. Its about 5 years old and still going.

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 17:30:20 »
Thanks for your suggestions! So far, I'm leaning towards the Wenger Ibex, it seems to have the room I'm after, and be of nice quality.

Keep them rolling though, they're of much help!
I like cats.

Offline neoezekiel

• My GW2 Guild - The Fallen Souls [SouL]
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 13:39:22 »
I use a JanSport Odyssey 29 as my daily pack, its holds everything @.@;
I normally carry around:
2 laptops + power bricks (a 17.1" and a 15.4")
Galaxy Tab 2.0 10.1" in OEM case (there is a special pocket this fits in perfectly) 
A set of dry erase markers in a hard plastic case
A set of permanent markers  in a hard plastic case
A pencil bag
2 oversized sketch pads
4-6 development books
2 legal pads
Day-Week-Month Planner
1 Monster BFC
1 1.5L water bottle
1 Lady Ada Electronics Bento
A compact electronics toolkit
A compact pc repair toolkit
MP3 Player
Usb cables
Power Squid
other various odds and ends
...A partridge and a pear tree

Jeez now that I list it out I probably carry way too much.....
WTB: Cherry G80-2550, GnCC/CCnG sets, led mx greens, mx dark greys, Plate Design Service, Case Design Service

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 13:56:34 »
5.11 bags are awesome.
I've got a 24, 12, 10 and messenger bag. I use them for work trips and I couldn't recommend them enough.
They have videos going over the highlights, worth a look.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks.html

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 14:50:53 »
The cool kids wear Northface bags :*

Offline Lanx

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 16:52:23 »
ogio makes very good compartmentalized bags can't link spotty in phone

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 17:51:52 »
The cool kids wear Northface bags :*
I must have not received the memo!

I normally carry around:
[...]
That's certainly a long list, it does seem to have quite the room for things, although I would like to see some more organization in one of the main compartments. Do you find this to be an issue?
It also doesn't look like there's a lot of padding in there. Knowing me, how much would I be able to throw around with it, before my laptop breaks?

5.11 bags are awesome.
I've got a 24, 12, 10 and messenger bag. I use them for work trips and I couldn't recommend them enough.
They have videos going over the highlights, worth a look.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks.html
Those bags look extremely durable, as I would expect from something meant to be brought into the field. They also seem to have some nice organization for smaller accessories, as well as for bigger stuff in the main compartment. This one is definitely on my radar. How big is the size difference between the 24, and 12?

ogio makes very good compartmentalized bags can't link spotty in phone
They look really nice, although I'm not too impressed with the lack of organization in the main compartment. I would have liked to see a few pockets in there.

I've stumbled across this one as well, which I do quite like the look of, but it's been fairly difficult to find any information on it. Would anyone happen to know anything about it?

Once again, thanks for the suggestions, they're quite helpful!
I like cats.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 05:29:36 »
I have Wenger Maxxum, it's terrific for travelling, but not so great when it comes to EDC (too "horizontal" if you know what I mean). Apart from that, I've switched from Dicota BacPac Xtreme to Crumpler The Dark Side. Although maybe it's not so comfortable, I doubt the quality can be beaten (especially considering the price, I paid only about 50 EUR for it).

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 11:47:27 »
I would recommend the Maxpedition Falcon II.

It's marketed as Magforce for Asian market.
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 21:38:52 »
The Arc'teryx Blade series is one that I've been wanting to try out. While they're probably higher on the price scale than some of the other packs mentioned, I've found that their jackets are top notch and well worth the price tag, so I imagine their packs are as well.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 22:36:40 »
mission workshop. made in USA, tough as nails, doesn't make you look like an armchair military enthusiast, comfy as hell.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 23:02:48 »
mission workshop. made in USA, tough as nails, doesn't make you look like an armchair military enthusiast, comfy as hell.

This.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 10:15:14 »
I use this one as my daily. Originally designed to carry an Xbox 360 (or PS3), two controllers, headset, mixamp, all power and video cables, plus extras. I use it for my 15" notebook, full size keyboard, mouse, mouse pad, power adapter, and anything else I need to carry. Works great, looks great. I got mine for 79.99 because I'm a previous customer, you might be able to find one around for cheaper than from the oem. http://www.astrogaming.com/apparel-bags/bags/astro-scout-backpack

EDIT:

I just fell in love with the Arkiv R2. Now if only I had $230 to drop on ANOTHER bag haha.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 July 2013, 10:20:52 by oTurtlez »
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 20:36:26 »

I just fell in love with the Arkiv R2. Now if only I had $230 to drop on ANOTHER bag haha.
the arkiv is such an awesome design idea. i have a black sanction and it is so comfortable -- their straps are great. plus the chest strap has a piece of elastic so you can still breathe when it's cinched down. all in the details :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 20:37:36 »
Anything made by L.L. Bean, Landsend, or Maxpedition.  That stuff lasts forever.

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 10:54:25 »
More great suggestions! I'll make sure to take a look at them.
I like cats.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:53:06 »
I have a Kelty Shrike that I really like.

Also, not a backpack, but I love my Vagabond Traveler briefcase.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 17:04:01 »
Spire used to be the bag I would recommend, but they have shrunk their product line :(   In fact they have only 1 bag available right now.  I still have 2 of their older bags (not even in the archives!) and they are really well built.  If they put out a new line I'd look into it.

Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 17:06:20 »
North face surge, has stash pockets and all the above.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 18:19:06 »

Show Image

Show Image

That kind of looks like the Saddleback Leather bag:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 18:41:17 »

Yes, I wanted a Saddleback Leather bag, but I had to get the cheaper version at the time. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Sniping

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 20:08:58 »
I decided on one of those High Sierra Elite backpacks, I got mine at Costco for around $30. I wanted to save some money and I don't think you can get anything better for that price.

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 09:53:28 »
So with all the great feedback I've received, I've been able to narrow down some more criterias, and specifications, which I would like of my future backpack.

- Price should be around or below £120, or $150. It could be stretched for special cases.
   - There should be at least one big compartment, with some organizational pockets. I want a place to put my mouse, power brick, etc. Basically, lots of organization!
   - Looks. It's obviously hard to recommend subjective things, but in general terms, I like simplicity, I'm not really looking for something with a million straps flying around. Chances are I will not get to use them.

Some of the previous suggestions that fit these (or I could make compromises for):

- Wenger Ibex
- 5.11 Rush 24
- LL Bean North Ridge
- High Sierra Elite

If someone has anything to add, on these bags in particular, I'm very interested in your thoughts. Any and all suggestions are, of course, still welcome.
I like cats.

Offline bigx333

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 10:28:21 »
For backpack my favorites are the slappa bags (except for my oakley kitchensink but its wayy too big lol): http://www.slappa.com/MASK-KOA-Backpack

And for messenger bag you can't go wrong with a timbuk2: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/shop/category/messenger-bags
2TU | LZ-GH

Offline funkystuhero

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 23:54:47 »
From my experience, Chrome bags are the Model Ms of backpacks. Pretty much any model will last you forever, you just need to pick a model that will suit your needs.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 00:42:57 »
My daily driver that's served me very well:

http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4063098&prodFindSrc=paramNav

I requested this as a Xmas gift from the wife because my previous model, that I had used for like 8 or 9 years was just beat to sh*t, so she got it for me. I like this one better because of the TSA option for laptops (works great domestically but overseas airports don't recognize the TSA aspect) and because it still stands up on its own after I set it down.

And the service: I was just b.s.ing with a Nordstrom rep and he told me, 'bring that old tumi bag in and we'll send it back in for repairs." I couldn't believe it, but like ten or eleven years after I had used this thing, taken it everywhere and beat it to within an inch on the other side of its life, they sent it back looking amazing.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline megaforce

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 10:32:37 »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wenger-Swissgear-GA-7306-06F00-Notebook-Backpack/dp/B000NOR7PY/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1373815664&sr=1-1&keywords=wenger+pegasus

I have no problem fitting a 15" laptop (w/ accessories) , four 200-page notepads, a pen case, over-the-ear headphones, and other miscellaneous stuff, with space to spare.

Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 22:37:54 »
I know I know it is very teenagery and what not, but Herschel bags are high quality and have a lot of room. Great for college students like myself and for those who want to be somewhat stylish.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 23:24:15 »
I know I know it is very teenagery and what not, but Herschel bags are high quality and have a lot of room. Great for college students like myself and for those who want to be somewhat stylish.

i dunno about high quality. i use one every day and it's not bad but definitely not worth the price compared to any other company they rip designs off of (jansport!!). the inner lining of my herschel school-type backpack is getting pretty worn out. the outer material seems to be ok. i am not a fan of their zippers either (seriously just use YKK... ugh).

Offline neoezekiel

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 11:37:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'm not gonna lie, that is a sexy sack you have there.
WTB: Cherry G80-2550, GnCC/CCnG sets, led mx greens, mx dark greys, Plate Design Service, Case Design Service

Offline neoezekiel

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 12:00:50 »

I normally carry around:
[...]

That's certainly a long list, it does seem to have quite the room for things, although I would like to see some more organization in one of the main compartments. Do you find this to be an issue?
It also doesn't look like there's a lot of padding in there. Knowing me, how much would I be able to throw around with it, before my laptop breaks?

There is actually a lot more padding than apparent at first glance. The middle and outer compartments are super organized with pockets, mesh, and straps to hold everything in place. There are several outside mesh pockets plus hanging loops on the outside too.
I went camping for three days this past weekend and discovered that it has a setup to hold your bedroll on the bottom and the strap points were able to hold a ton of stuff too.

I haven't broke either of my laptops yet and I sling it around pretty hard, I'm bad about dropping it straight off of my back when I get home from work.

I can throw some pics on here if you want.

Also I typo'd earlier its the 39 not the 29.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 July 2013, 12:05:09 by neoezekiel »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 12:07:50 »
Vagabond Traveller - in Sanford, Florida?!   :eek:

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 13:38:20 »

I normally carry around:
[...]

There is actually a lot more padding than apparent at first glance. The middle and outer compartments are super organized with pockets, mesh, and straps to hold everything in place. There are several outside mesh pockets plus hanging loops on the outside too.
I went camping for three days this past weekend and discovered that it has a setup to hold your bedroll on the bottom and the strap points were able to hold a ton of stuff too.

I haven't broke either of my laptops yet and I sling it around pretty hard, I'm bad about dropping it straight off of my back when I get home from work.

I can throw some pics on here if you want.

Also I typo'd earlier its the 39 not the 29.

I see, well in that case, it is certainly on my list! Thanks for going through that for me!
I like cats.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 17:39:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dude I want to get something like this just cause it would make me look more like a teacher and professional when I start working at schools.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 21:36:17 »

Why, thank you. :D

Yes, I believe it is the same.

Dude I want to get something like this just cause it would make me look more like a teacher and professional when I start working at schools.

Yes, it is definitely more suited to a professional environment than any backpack. When you walk into somewhere carrying a 9-lb. leather bag (that's the emptly weight), people know you mean business. Just what could be in that bag, they wonder. Legal briefs? Adventure kit? A 9mm UZI submachine gun? We may never know...

A link, for anyone interested: http://www.vagabondtraveler.com/product/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=l06&product_id=161

in memoriam

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 22:59:37 »

Why, thank you. :D

Yes, I believe it is the same.

Yes, it is definitely more suited to a professional environment than any backpack. When you walk into somewhere carrying a 9-lb. leather bag (that's the emptly weight), people know you mean business. Just what could be in that bag, they wonder. Legal briefs? Adventure kit? A 9mm UZI submachine gun? We may never know...

A link, for anyone interested: http://www.vagabondtraveler.com/product/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=l06&product_id=161

That price though  :eek:

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:50:23 »

A bit OT, I just bought an Arkiv R2 :))
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline neoezekiel

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 23:41:03 »
http://imgur.com/a/r9wsS/
Write up and photo gallery as promised  ;D

On a related topic though, I do think this might be the least expensive of the options offered as these can be had for less than $100 and they are pretty easy to get on sale around the time schools start back up. I bought one for my sister for 35$ on sale last fall.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 July 2013, 23:43:57 by neoezekiel »

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 00:11:43 »
Wow, thanks a lot! I'll keep an eye out for it.
I like cats.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 00:18:00 »

A bit OT, I just bought an Arkiv R2 :))

nice bag :)

Offline velvetdon25

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 01:12:19 »
I would recommend Chrome as a primary notebook/gear backpack.

Offline neoezekiel

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 01:32:15 »
If necessary I can proxy for you if you can't get one delivered.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 02:12:07 »
I am using a "the North face , base camp hot shot" backpack. Looks like this

It does have a laptop compartment, which I use to hold a binder with documents and things I need. One thing that is an absolute necessity for me for bigger backpacks is the straps that go across the chest. It makes them much more comfortable to carry when you have a lot of stuff in there. Another important feature for me in this backpack is that it has room for stuff evenly from bottom to top. Because of this the weight is spread more evenly across the back. I can not stand backpacks where the weight concentrates at the bottom, putting constant pressure on your lower back.

They come in a variety of colors. I have the green one. I  like the way it looks, but also it is huge. That can be a good or bad thing depending on what you need it for. I actually use the bag to go to the gym, to take with my on short trips (I only need the one bag, when visiting the UK for example where I usually fly Cheap with no extra luggage). Basically I need a backpack that holds at least 30L. The fabric looks kind of cool but is also waterproof.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 July 2013, 02:19:50 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Trent

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 17:07:08 »
The only backpack you will ever want/need

Dakine Terminal

http://www.dakine.com/p/backpacks/mens-street-backpacks/spring-summer-13/terminal-31l

Very very large, rugged as ****, I've had mine forever, that site says 2012 but I think mine is from 2009 at least.  Can fit a 17inch laptop with ease, ipad, books etc.

Dakine is a great brand, mine is jet black, although I see that a lot of companies are going more to the "swag" type styles with plaid and bright colors, **** that noise.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 July 2013, 17:09:01 by Trent »
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK