Author Topic: Backpack Suggestions  (Read 4937 times)

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
Backpack Suggestions
« on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 10:49:04 »
Hi, I am in the market for a new backpack as mine is worn down and is very uncomfortable. I was wondering what backpacks you guys use and if you have any suggestions

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: Backpack Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 10:49:50 »
Dakine.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 10:51:43 »
I use a Timbuk2 especial 3, but it's mainly because I use it to carry my laptop to the job when I use my bike. It's a backpack focused on bikes. It's 100% waterproof (tested under hard rain) and very solid and comfortable.

You should ask with kind of need you have for this backpack since it will orient you selection a lot!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 10:52:20 »
Oakley kitchen sink. Mine is going on 5 years of use, and the only sign of wear is a little bit of worn out nylon on the back from friction with clothing.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 10:58:57 »

I use a Timbuk2 especial 3, but it's mainly because I use it to carry my laptop to the job when I use my bike. It's a backpack focused on bikes. It's 100% waterproof (tested under hard rain) and very solid and comfortable.

You should ask with kind of need you have for this backpack since it will orient you selection a lot!
School use, but I also need it because I am going on a European trip this summer and I am only packing a backpack

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 11:01:10 »
Go Ruck GR2.  Granted it is probably overkill for what you are needing.  It will last forever though.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 11:05:49 »
A Häglofs Corker Large. But most of the time I use bike panniers or shoulder bags to move around.

Soon I will be getting a Millican the roll 25L for travel as it has a bit of ventilation and can be made flat. Probably not ideal for books though seeing as the bottom does not have any padding.

But you will need a bigger pack than 25L for backpacking around Europe. Unless you want to be a smelly drifter.  :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2015, 11:10:17 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 11:24:30 »
I'm using the "Little America" from Herschel. It's pretty comfy but I don't know if it's what you're looking for tho.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 11:36:54 »
Going to Europe with only a backpack

#stuffwhitepeopledo
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 12:36:25 »
For "backpacking" style packs, I hear good things about Osprey. They also have some "travel" oriented packs, such as the Farpoint series, that get good reviews. You can use the Farpoint 40 as a carry on for air travel.

If you like "tactical" packs, I highly recommend the Spec. Ops Brand T.H.E. Pack. It's practically bombproof, made of 1000D Cordura, with double stictched seams throughout. Little in the way of organization, though, with only a large main compartment and two "dump" compartments. I owned two of these packs, until one got stolen. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Infrared

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 12:40:01 »
Anything Swiss Army should be good and confy
White Fc660c

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 12:49:37 »

Anything Swiss Army should be good and confy
My current one is Swiss army, and as it has done me good, their current models don't look very good IMO

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 12:50:36 »

#stuffwhitepeopledo
We don't want to have to check any luggage. I have no say in it, but I also have packed 10 days worth of clothing into a backpack before; so it should be relatively easy

Offline iri

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 13:30:53 »
i use a 36L Deuter Gigant for 4 years. it has been with me everywhere, from marshland to alpine highlands, and is not noticeably worn. it's not waterproof though.

I am going on a European trip this summer and I am only packing a backpack
are you going to take a taser and a gun with you? Yurop is dangerous.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 15:01:26 »
i use a 36L Deuter Gigant for 4 years. it has been with me everywhere, from marshland to alpine highlands, and is not noticeably worn. it's not waterproof though.

I am going on a European trip this summer and I am only packing a backpack
are you going to take a taser and a gun with you? Yurop is dangerous.
No, but we are going to be buying cheap bikes when we travel, as we don't want to bring ours and risk them getting stolen

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 15:03:55 »
I'm considering picking up a Mission Workshop Sanction at one point. Really liked it. Of course it's a bit pricey like the GORuck so I gotta explore more options.

#stuffwhitepeopledo

Rofl

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 15:09:11 »

#stuffwhitepeopledo

Oh my god, so glad you said this.

Anyways, I usually get the best backpack that I can find at the thrift store.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2015, 18:34:48 by prdlm2009 »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 18:38:02 »
A couple of older threads that might provide some additional insight:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45529.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48574.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 18:51:07 »

Offline iri

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 18:52:07 »
would anyone of you be so kind to explain me why demik's quote is so hilarious?

No, but we are going to be buying cheap bikes when we travel, as we don't want to bring ours and risk them getting stolen
that's a good idea (i'm being serious now)
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 18:52:53 »

#stuffwhitepeopledo

Oh my god, so glad you said this.

Actually, this is a really good idea too. The older a bag looks, the less attention it gets.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 19:04:14 »
fjallraven rucksack no.21
 :) I love it, so comfortable and durable

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 19:13:51 »
I want one, but have no clue what size to get

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 19:22:20 »

I have a M size one, let me take a picture  ;)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 19:23:12 »
Whatever you do just don't buy one of those hexagonal plastic shell backpacks, because they look stupid as hell.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 19:23:27 »

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 19:35:56 »
I've had this one for a few years and it's held up well. Holds a lot of **** too: http://www.ebags.com/product/swissgear-travel-gear/scansmart-backpack/205059
SSKs for everyone!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 19:39:30 »
I've had this one for a few years and it's held up well. Holds a lot of **** too: http://www.ebags.com/product/swissgear-travel-gear/scansmart-backpack/205059

Those seem very popular. Like Jansports were in the '90s. They seem to be of high quality.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 19:41:39 »
Yep. It's very comfortable too. Plenty of padding where you need it. Price ain't bad either. I think I got mine for around $55.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 04:10:43 »
How many Mexican, Asian or African people do you see backpacking through Europe?
In general those that can afford it will stay in hotels.

It's really mostly white people and the adventurous that will go backpacking. ;)

|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline iri

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 05:14:20 »
two gazillions of asians and quite a few latin american youngsters. can't remember if i met a mexican backpacker yet though.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 05:21:44 »
two gazillions of asians and quite a few latin american youngsters. can't remember if i met a mexican backpacker yet though.
Yeah South American people come to Europe to backpack quit often. And as for Asians, it's mostly the Japanese and Taiwanese that go backpacking.
Most of the Chinese people I see are there on group tours. Give it a few years/decade or two and even they will be roaming around freely.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 07:47:18 »

Actually, this is a really good idea too. The older a bag looks, the less attention it gets.

Yea, plus I don't care if I rough it up.  Just make sure it's comfortable.  It also helps that I am willing to sew items, in case some seams are loose.

Yeah South American people come to Europe to backpack quit often. And as for Asians, it's mostly the Japanese and Taiwanese that go backpacking.
Most of the Chinese people I see are there on group tours. Give it a few years/decade or two and even they will be roaming around freely.

Interesting.  Didn't know the travelling-through-Europe fetish was so widespread.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/23/19-travelling/

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 10:11:45 »
Osprey > all

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 10:51:51 »
Osprey > all

Hang out on backpackinglight.com and preach that philosophy.  It could get ugly.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 11:11:16 »
Osprey > all

Hang out on backpackinglight.com and preach that philosophy.  It could get ugly.

oh god  :))

Offline Axollott

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 12:31:38 »
How many Mexican, Asian or African people do you see backpacking through Europe?
In general those that can afford it will stay in hotels.

It's really mostly white people and the adventurous that will go backpacking. ;)
Mexicans do backpack around Europe, but most Mexicans that do, look European, so you wouldn't know their nationality until speaking to them or hear them speak. Our ancestry is mostly European now. The Mexicans that you see in the States are mostly indigenous since this is a unfair world and race is still something affecting a person's economic growth in this corrupt, mafia style nation. Just look at the presidents in most Latin American countries, they are all European descendants.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 13:06:07 »
Osprey > all

What you said is basically the equivalent of going on here and saying "QFR > all".

I have owned a couple Ospreys, by the way, I think they are great for what they are.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2015, 13:07:42 by prdlm2009 »

Offline tbc

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 14:40:17 »
Whatever you do just don't buy one of those hexagonal plastic shell backpacks, because they look stupid as hell.

oh so much #dattruth
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 14:54:33 »
Got my NorthFace Recon for $45 with a free CamelBack Eddy bottle 9-10 years ago for college and it's still going strong.

Yes, it's NorthFace so it gets a lot of hate for being so "trendy" but considering it has lasted so long, I'm pretty sure people are just jumping on the anti-hype train without any actual conclusive evidence or experience with their products.
null

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 14:55:56 »
Osprey > all

What you said is basically the equivalent of going on here and saying "QFR > all".

I have owned a couple Ospreys, by the way, I think they are great for what they are.

I use it for school and it works hella good for me

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 15:14:41 »

Seems to be a trend of recent college grads taking a year off to backpack through Europe. Usually white kids with money.

Anyway. I like 5.11's stuff. Same with goruck and I've read nothing but good things about them... But they are pricey as hell.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 15:16:40 »

Seems to be a trend of recent college grads taking a year off to backpack through Europe. Usually white kids with money.

Anyway. I like 5.11's stuff. Same with goruck and I've read nothing but good things about them... But they are pricey as hell.
Hopefully if they are that expensive they would last a long time. I have to go to Europe because my brother is going for a school trip, so my dad insists we both go.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 15:28:08 »
That's dope.

And I think they are military spec so they should be tough.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 16:07:35 »

:)) Not sure where I put my ruler...
It's the perfect size for me(I'm 172 cm tall), but the volume of this backpack is just 20L, so 2-3 days clothes are maximum.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 16:18:17 »

Show Image

It's the perfect size for me(I'm 172 cm tall), but the volume of this backpack is just 20L, so 2-3 days clothes are maximum.
Awesome! That gauges it enough for me, my current backpack is smaller than that, and I think I could fit maybe 5 days depending on how I pack it, and what I pack, and then just wash it.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 16:46:15 »

Show Image

Awesome! That gauges it enough for me, my current backpack is smaller than that, and I think I could fit maybe 5 days depending on how I pack it, and what I pack, and then just wash it.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 14:05:48 »
I ended up going with a Fjallraven No.21 Large, now we wait for it to come  :D

Offline WolfTickets

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 14:31:39 »
REI Trail 25.  I bought it clearanced for $30 on their website 1 1/2 years ago.  I'm not sure if they make it anymore, but it's been awesome.   Pockets everywhere, drink bottle pockets on both sides, and plenty of room in the main pouch.