Author Topic: BBC Micro style keycaps  (Read 4445 times)

Offline 8bitkick

BBC Micro style keycaps
« on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 13:59:26 »
Hi

Happy new year :)

I'm contemplating creating a run of BBC micro style keycaps (not for the original beeb - which they wouldn't be compatible with - but for a retro-style modern keyboard)

Would be great to connect to a Raspberry Pi or PC running BeebEm or even 8-bit homebrew projects... (as an alternative to gutting an old machine and adding a USB controller)

BBC micro (UK, 1981)

Seems like this has been discussed in pieces before, so I wanted to tie up the threads here...

I was also thinking of doing my own designs but inspired by the BBC Micro keycap set

Did you ever get to designing your BBC micro style keycaps?

Let me know if you want to join forces... (see my post at Acorn / BBC micro user forum)

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14303&p=190193#p190174

I know the BBC micro pretty well,  but I am not a keyboard expert (which is why I am here :) )

Without knowing the original font / design files I think it would require removing and scanning the original keys, using Adobe Illustrator to compensate for distortion / extract a clean SVG for each. Which sounds like some work...  is there another way? (identifying the font sounds the best plan - EDIT: original keys are double shot, SP Gorton Modified is likely close enough)

I saw dirge has the colors identified which is great.

Dark brown keys:
RAL 8022

Red keys:
RAL 2009
or...
RAL 2005

Lighter brown keys 'copy key' etc:
RAL 8014

But also that this has been tried and failed before.

It's been tried, and failed on multiple occasions.

And ideas why it has it failed? Too expensive / not enough backers? Easier to just buy a Dolch set which is close?

Lots details in terms of the most appropriate key style / material, switch type, 'close enough' keyboard layout and possibly even custom plate to make this more faithful to the original... also how to get it funded and manufactured (PMK and massdrop?).... I imagine this stuff is fairly obvious to members here, but new to me... and important to get right...

Given all the above the answer to why it has previously failed might be that it is a lot of work...and needs someone experienced in the ways of keycap design to pull it off...

Irrespective, any pointers to people already doing this / ideas on how to get this done would be appreciated :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 January 2018, 11:34:56 by 8bitkick »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
Re: BBC Micro style keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 14:55:42 »
The Dolch caps from Round 4 or whatever are close enough. I think you can buy a set on pimpmykeyboard

Offline 8bitkick

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 11:22:45 »
The Dolch caps from Round 4 or whatever are close enough. I think you can buy a set on pimpmykeyboard

Thanks, Dolch is close. Any ideas where I could get a function key kit in red (i.e. f0 - f9)?

(One distinctive thing about the BBC keyboard is it uses 'ƒ' instead of 'f' on func keys... I am guessing that would be harder/impossible to find... )

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 13:15:53 »

Thanks, Dolch is close. Any ideas where I could get a function key kit in red (i.e. f0 - f9)?

(One distinctive thing about the BBC keyboard is it uses 'ƒ' instead of 'f' on func keys... I am guessing that would be harder/impossible to find... )
You could contact SP to see if they have a legend similar.