Author Topic: Stiff keyboards keys  (Read 2600 times)

Offline taillow

Stiff keyboards keys
« on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 10:39:01 »
Recently bought  a new k70 keyboard from corsair however when i began to play some games on it i realised some of the keys such as the tab and caps key (mainly to larger key caps) when i pressed the key cap on a certain spot and also at a certain angle (far right of the key) it felt stiff and dry as it went down, i'm not sure if this is normal though? this has happened to me and 2 popular keyboard brands now, corsair and hyperX, so would just like to know if this is normal as they are the large keycaps whilst to rest of the key caps are fine and if it is not normal is their a solution?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Stiff keyboards keys
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 11:53:34 »
yeah that's normal for cherry switches

the slider is rubbing against the side of the housing

on larger keys, it might be the stabilizers that make it feel like that

you can fix it if you take the board apart, lube the switches, and put it back together, but that's often more work than it's worth
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Stiff keyboards keys
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 16:11:33 »
It's called "binding". This is a fairly rare issue for Cherries, which are normally actually really good with this. Larger keys always suffer from this more, though, especially unstabilised ones.
Check my keyboard video reviews: