Author Topic: Keyboard repair? Programmable keys NG  (Read 5738 times)

Offline whitepine

Keyboard repair? Programmable keys NG
« on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 08:47:57 »
Hello,
I am a unfamiliar with this type of board.  I am not a geek.  I do have an interest in programmable keyboards and repair of same.
I do not understand why there are so FEW programmable keyboards.  Seems to me that anyone who computes would desire and use a keyboard with dedicated programmable keys for macro long-ins, etc.

In my short life, I have gone through 2 Gateways, 2 Adesso's, 1 Logitech, and now, a big pain in the ass --my Corsair k95.

Corsair help /support was meaningless and NOT helpful at all. :mad:

All I want to do is bring back functionality of my G1-18 keys.

Anyone know how to repair of fix this?  Do I need a new chip or what?>
Corsair is of NO help :mad:....no information and no parts.  Will NEVER buy another Corsair product. :mad:

What about steelseries?
Others brands with dedicated programmable keys?

Who, if anyone, repairs Corsair's?

Thanks to anyone who has been down the roads of failed Programmable G keys from many different MFGR's.

Offline nevin

Re: Keyboard repair? Programmable keys NG
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 09:00:29 »
what is it doing or not doing? please in detail describe the issue you are having.

did the G keys work before?
i looked at pics of the board and i only see G1-6 (guessing you're referring to the F-keys as well?)
most of these manufacturers have a software that runs on your computer to do the programming of those extra keys as well as the lighting (usually)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 09:02:43 »
so your problem is that your macro keys are not working? what do they do (or do not do) that makes them unusable?
here there is quite a few peoples who have fully programmable keyboards with QMK/TMK you may want to look into a keyboard with that firmware if you want to upgrade to a custom mechanical keyboard.

and there was a thread not long ago of someone fixing a corsair keyboard with a custom controller so might be your ticket there
(Edit: i was wrong it was a cooler master: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102719.0)
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2019, 09:07:49 by yui »
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 09:27:56 »
so your problem is that your macro keys are not working? what do they do (or do not do) that makes them unusable?
here there is quite a few peoples who have fully programmable keyboards with QMK/TMK you may want to look into a keyboard with that firmware if you want to upgrade to a custom mechanical keyboard.

and there was a thread not long ago of someone fixing a corsair keyboard with a custom controller so might be your ticket there
(Edit: i was wrong it was a cooler master: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102719.0)

here you can find a number of drop-in alternate controllers for off-the-shelf keyboards
http://bathroomepiphanies.com/controllers/
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 09:31:54 »
I cannot help with the Corsair's issue. I am not familiar with it. I just chime in to suggest you to get a real programmable keyboard. You should get one of the many custom PCBs and build your own board. Most are not full size but a TKL must cover your needs.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 10:11:17 »
I didn't realize you asked this question in two separate threads so I am reposting here.

I am not a geek.

You are now, welcome to the club.  :p

I do not understand why there are so FEW programmable keyboards.

There is a plentiful amount of programmable keyboards, you just need to look in the right places for them. Here is a fully programmable keyboard using the QMK software that most high-end custom boards also use as well, it may have fewer keys than your Corsair but a whole lot more functionality. There are more boards out there, that was just the first one I came across when searching.

Here is a tutorial video about the QMK software that goes into a little detail about the various functionalities:

As for your broken keyboard, I did a quick search on the Corsair k95 and found users experiencing their G1-G18 keys stop working after installing the iCue Corsair software. If you recently updated it then you may need to revert back to an earlier version and reboot your computer.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline nevin

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 10:19:10 »
As for your broken keyboard, I did a quick search on the Corsair k95 and found users experiencing their G1-G18 keys stop working after installing the iCue Corsair software. If you recently updated it then you may need to revert back to an earlier version and reboot your computer.
thanks @Steezus