Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nightlife  (Read 16455 times)

Offline biip

• @biipmk
[IC] GMK Nightlife
« on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 11:23:15 »

inspired by the nocturnal atmosphere of Japanese streets, corroborated with neon signs.
One base kit covering most of common layouts (from 60% to full-size) but also including split spacebar, featuring a dark blue base color (RAL 5011).
I already have some color samples from GMK. I plan to shoot them later this week; but also to take photos of the base color in comparison with other similar colors that can be seen on other sets (like GMK Dots).

GB: November 2023

Vendors:
  • 🇺🇸 Novelkeys
  • 🇪🇺 Oblotzky Industries
  • 🇬🇧 Prototypist
  • 🇦🇺 DailyClack
  • 🇨🇦 DeskHero
  • 🇸🇬 Ilumkb
  • 🇨🇳 TBC

Renders

Kit

Deskpads

TBD

Metal artisans

Thanks for the support.
Special thanks to FreshFromTheGrave for the renders.

Signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=121439.msg3172106][img width=302 height=120]https://media.biipmk.com/gmk_nightlife/GMK_Nightlife-Signature?v=2[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 October 2023, 10:05:43 by biip »

Offline paperassgasket

Re: [IC] GMK Nightlife
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 11:30:16 »
That kitting is certainly a choice.

Any particular reason for just one big kit with only normies support?

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 11:31:18 »
cool set! i like the unique kitting.

personal preference, but I'd force the ramen 1u novelty on f13 and keep an Escape key included

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 11:38:41 »
Honestly I wish this set fully leaned into the novelties for all the mods. The half mod/half novelty vibe looks odd to me.
Basic 40s support would also be nice.

Offline ryulinho

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 11:45:20 »
cool set! i like the unique kitting.

personal preference, but I'd force the ramen 1u novelty on f13 and keep an Escape key included
I’d prefer novelty on F13 and an Esc as well. Having alternative Tab and Left Shift with text would also be great, but I understand the choice there better.

Offline therick

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 11:48:43 »
Honestly I wish this set fully leaned into the novelties for all the mods. The half mod/half novelty vibe looks odd to me.
Basic 40s support would also be nice.

i like that it's chaotic. similar to downtown street signs or whatever

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 12:09:51 »

Seconding this. Alternatively would be willing to purchase a novelty kit with enough keys to replace standard mods in the base kit.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 September 2023, 12:11:49 by unwashed_heathen »

Offline amorino

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 12:15:37 »
I don't know the reason why is half novelties and half mods. Would definitely buy a novelties kit instead.

Offline therick

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 12:33:00 »
NIGTHLIFE

Offline kight

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 12:44:00 »
Show Image

all my favorite parts of japan including the misspelled english signs :-X

agreed

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 12:46:27 »
this is just like my japanese animes

Offline CONIN

• Choripán Squad
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 13:01:20 »
I wish this set fully leaned into the novelties for all the mods. The half mod/half novelty vibe looks odd to me.
I feel the same, I'd even prefer a mono kit than having those mods instead.

Offline fakedSkill

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 15:15:26 »
Love the colors and the novelties! Looking forward to see more novelties and how this set progresses!

Offline c0d3r

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 15:41:57 »
R3 Pgup and R4 PgDn please!

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 15:49:45 »
Any chance of working in a Japanese exit graphic sign(in your Nightlife neon style) for R1? Thanks!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 September 2023, 16:23:01 by lecorsair »

Offline eczactly

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 16:31:21 »
I nominate this as the theme song for this keyset.

Offline fwoggit

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 20:38:41 »
theres atleast 2 misspelt words in the Japanese novelties, did you even try?

Offline zhol

• zhol
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 21:57:28 »
theres atleast 2 misspelt words in the Japanese novelties, did you even try?

that's a bold accusation to make about (checks notes)
i'm zhol

Offline Hakatype

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 23:07:12 »
Bro they literally have Denny's in Japan, what kinda diner serves sushi... much less in japan? 😂😂😂 That diner key is uh... questionable lolol

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 03:51:45 »
Agree with everyone else that novelty mods would probably be a better fit, Plus F13 should be the novelty key as well. Fully commit to the idea or don't at all. Would also like to see secondary legends on the numpad, for a such busy set not having them would make it look more plain, plus they look cooler anyway.

Very weeb and vibe and aesthetic af kinda enjoy it.

Offline jiminojimi

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 06:33:23 »
I have literally been waiting 2 hrs for the images to load and have reopened my screen multiple times. I’ve watched multiple episodes of Asoka in the mean time…

What on earth are these images…

Is there another server you can load these onto? I’m from Aus

Offline AndrewG

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 07:06:50 »
Pag Up R3 and Pag down R4

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 12:01:43 »
Thanks for the constructive feedback.

First of all, the typo in the banner has been fixed.

The set actually has a rather odd kitting as I intended it to reflect a chaotic lighting atmosphere, with light sources placed more or less randomly, as in a megalopolis in the middle of the night. That said, I'm not closed to the idea of evolving this kit, and I'm even considering splitting the base kit and the novelties kit.

There's actually a translation error for the word "Bar" (I had put バール but the correct translation is バー; my bad). This will be updated on future renders.

I really like the idea of a novelty for F13, I must admit. I didn't think there would be many of you mentioning it! So I'm going to plan this :thumb:

Regarding R4 PgUp and PgDn, it will depend on the final cost of the base kit.

Concerning the kitting, as mentioned above, I think it would be a good idea to make some changes. If I separate the novelties from the base kit, I think adding basic support for 40% layouts would be feasible. The (initial) reason behind this all-in-one kit was simply that I couldn't imagine this set without its novelties. They're an integral part of the idea behind this project (and also part of the objective of a more competitive price than that of a base kit to which you have to add a child kit as well). But I think I've come up with a few interesting solutions, which I'll present to you soon.

Thanks.

Offline kight

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 14:31:45 »
ダイナ should be ダイナー. IMO ファミレス would be better word choice and fit with the katakana theming too, but it's probably too long to fit on that specific key.

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 14:47:55 »
Your sets usually forego international support (NorDeUK) but now I get a chance during IC to ask: is there any chance of UK support or wider being added to this? Agilr's designs support sublegends and ISOUK in base. I would be in for one if it were to be added.

(Before anyone pipes up with the obvious "UK support adds too many keys & cost", I'm aware of this but asking anyway 'cos for me it's the difference between buying and not buying a set.)

Offline fwoggit

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 September 2023, 02:29:22 »
well on that note オーペン should be オープン
even google translate can't get these wrong

Offline EnjoyMyInSec

• 60% or bust
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 September 2023, 02:49:09 »

Imagine helping instead criticizing, all of a sudden yall became native japanese speakers, help him don't blame him.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 September 2023, 02:50:01 »
ダイナ should be ダイナー. IMO ファミレス would be better word choice and fit with the katakana theming too, but it's probably too long to fit on that specific key.

Fixed.

Offline Oogtug84

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 September 2023, 17:16:32 »
Thanks for the constructive feedback.

First of all, the typo in the banner has been fixed.

The set actually has a rather odd kitting as I intended it to reflect a chaotic lighting atmosphere, with light sources placed more or less randomly, as in a megalopolis in the middle of the night. That said, I'm not closed to the idea of evolving this kit, and I'm even considering splitting the base kit and the novelties kit.

There's actually a translation error for the word "Bar" (I had put バール but the correct translation is バー; my bad). This will be updated on future renders.

I really like the idea of a novelty for F13, I must admit. I didn't think there would be many of you mentioning it! So I'm going to plan this :thumb:

Regarding R4 PgUp and PgDn, it will depend on the final cost of the base kit.

Concerning the kitting, as mentioned above, I think it would be a good idea to make some changes. If I separate the novelties from the base kit, I think adding basic support for 40% layouts would be feasible. The (initial) reason behind this all-in-one kit was simply that I couldn't imagine this set without its novelties. They're an integral part of the idea behind this project (and also part of the objective of a more competitive price than that of a base kit to which you have to add a child kit as well). But I think I've come up with a few interesting solutions, which I'll present to you soon.

Thanks.

I'd much prefer a base kit with normal mods but keeping the appropriate colors from the novelties for those keys. Having it this way just really limits choice, as perhaps I want to use a normal enter but the rest of the novelties? I like them but I don't want stuck using only the novelties outlined as allowed by how this is kitted.

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 22 September 2023, 02:45:53 »
Personally, I'm not too keen on which keys are novelties and which are regular mods, especially since they are forced. For instance, take the Seis Cero render; if the backspace was split, you end up with four brightly colored novelty keys in a row on the right side, while the left side only has the Esc and left Alt. It looks a bit lopsided to me.
Similarly, on split right-shift boards, having a dark blue Fn key instead of a teal one like the 1.75u shift looks a bit off.

Have you thought about trying something like Black Modi or Aurora Polaris alt mods? It might be worth considering to switch to something like that or to rebalance the current placement.
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 22 September 2023, 12:12:54 »
not a fan of current NK kitting restraints

btw full novelty mods would look heaps better

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 September 2023, 13:18:50 »
not a fan of current NK kitting restraints

btw full novelty mods would look heaps better

There are no constraints put on biip from NK.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 23 September 2023, 15:19:59 »
I'm a fan of this one. I feel that 100% novelty mods would really take this design to the next level. Tab and left shift missing novelties really stands out to my eyes.

Offline AmethystDCVR

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 24 September 2023, 15:51:52 »
im in for full (intentional) novelty mods. yes you could technically use the r2 backspace and 2.25 right shift for the missing left side novs, but id rather it be purpose designed with unique left side mods, since shoehorning those extra keys into the left side leaves you with not the best color distribution and duplicated legends on shifts.

that said im also 100% all for forcing novelties-only as the base kit. i have doubts this will fall short of MOQ, so i really think separating novelty kit is unnecessary and defeats the point of this set. id like to see more stuff going full-commit to niche/unique designs

Offline Keybort_Alex

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 26 September 2023, 20:46:48 »
The colors, mods, and theme is not for me. I am very much into Japanese and Asian cultures alike. Curious if it will sell well.

Offline ingenyeur

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 27 September 2023, 05:17:49 »
I like the colours, but I am not really a fan of forced novelties (mods), especially when not all mods are novelties (as already mentioned above). With the sublegends, combined with the novelty mods, it's too much for me. There is too much going on. Improved kitting (novelties as addons) with an alternate legends kit would be better in my opinion.

Offline Hatoup

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 02 October 2023, 16:23:13 »
Other than the novelties not being a separate kit the set looks very nice   

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 07:35:11 »
Regarding kitting, I understand that the forced novelties imposed are divisive. As explained in the Geekhack thread, for me the chaotic aspect is the very concept of the set. However, I am and always will be attentive to your comments. I invite you to give your opinion via this poll: https://forms.gle/6yhFCshSfqbgA9p47

Let me also introduce you the 2 Hibi artisans that will be available alongside the keyset:

Offline Hatoup

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 12:02:20 »
Looks very nice, love the ramen one

Offline involuntarysoul

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 16:24:27 »
Base kit with accent modifiers please!

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 05 October 2023, 22:04:09 »
Regarding kitting, I understand that the forced novelties imposed are divisive. As explained in the Geekhack thread, for me the chaotic aspect is the very concept of the set. However, I am and always will be attentive to your comments. I invite you to give your opinion via this poll: https://forms.gle/6yhFCshSfqbgA9p47

Let me also introduce you the 2 Hibi artisans that will be available alongside the keyset:
Show Image

Those are hot

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 12 October 2023, 08:22:09 »
So, according to the survey, 75% of people prefer a base kit that includes novelties.
So here is the updated base kit, with an additional novelties kit for more options :thumb:

Offline Thumb Key

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 12 October 2023, 11:07:27 »
It would be cool if Metal artisans were luminous! :thumb:

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 13 October 2023, 03:18:18 »
It would be cool if Metal artisans were luminous! :thumb:

IIRC only two of the three colors can be sadly.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 14 October 2023, 08:22:03 »
So, according to the survey, 75% of people prefer a base kit that includes novelties.
So here is the updated base kit, with an additional novelties kit for more options :thumb:
More
Show Image

Show Image

We still need to purchase an additional kit to get the tab novelty...Why not just smash it all into one kit?

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 14 October 2023, 10:08:19 »
More
Show Image

Show Image

We still need to purchase an additional kit to get the tab novelty...Why not just smash it all into one kit?
that’s a duplicate (mod pipe novelty I guess?) there’s a r2 1.5 nov in base

Offline AmethystDCVR

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 14 October 2023, 13:10:12 »
now i only wish the caps lock key and the extra r2 novelty were not the same color, should one wish to use it as a novelty tab key. i dont like having 2 pinks in a row on left side where everything else is scattered colorwise.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 16 October 2023, 01:47:29 »
now i only wish the caps lock key and the extra r2 novelty were not the same color, should one wish to use it as a novelty tab key. i dont like having 2 pinks in a row on left side where everything else is scattered colorwise.

Indeed. Here you go: