Author Topic: Welcome new members!  (Read 793259 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Welcome new members!
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 05:58:11 »
Hi all! just wanted to introduce myself by showing off my daily driver...
FC660M with Bro Set: http://imgur.com/a/FE1X0

Welcome to Geekhack!

A nice arrangement of stock and Bro keycaps :)

Which switches has your FC660M got?

:D

Welcome to Geekhack!

Have you got a mechanical keyboard already, or some here to research your first purchase?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline digitalparadigm

« Reply #351 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 11:50:09 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

Browns. Started with a WASD CODE w/ clears but found them a little too stiff, then got a Topre Type Heaven but found them a little too light. Figured I would give browns a try and found I type the fastest with those. I am in the process of building a custom and plan on using 55g springs in clear switches to see how that feels.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #352 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 23:12:37 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

Browns. Started with a WASD CODE w/ clears but found them a little too stiff, then got a Topre Type Heaven but found them a little too light. Figured I would give browns a try and found I type the fastest with those. I am in the process of building a custom and plan on using 55g springs in clear switches to see how that feels.

Some say the tactile bump in browns is much less than in clears (I have not actually tried either yet).  So lighter springs in clear switches will probably give you the best of both worlds.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lijev

« Reply #353 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 06:48:40 »
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here, plus, I like this keyboard :thumb:
Harro Everybody!
New to Geekhack but have been lurking for a while as well!

I've used mechanical keyboards back in the days, and after a long break rediscovered my love for them two years ago.  <3
I'm currently using a Roccat Ryos mk pro with cherry mx browns (iso german)...

But since i didn't feel much like taking pics of that i took some of this Baby instead!  =)
Show Image

Offline mikauhsoj

« Reply #354 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 20:50:20 »
Hi all! I accidentally stumbled into the amazing world of keyboards last week when I was researching Ergodox keyboards after seeing the Indiegogo campaign. I decided I just had to make my own keyboard and all my research led me here, so I decided to join. Looking forward to being part of the community and learning a ton.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #355 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 05:51:09 »
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here, plus, I like this keyboard :thumb:

Welcome to Geekhack!

There's something about those classic old Apple keyboards :)  Some people don't like the italics legends, but I quite like them.

Hi all! I accidentally stumbled into the amazing world of keyboards last week when I was researching Ergodox keyboards after seeing the Indiegogo campaign. I decided I just had to make my own keyboard and all my research led me here, so I decided to join. Looking forward to being part of the community and learning a ton.

Welcome to Geekhack!

How far did you want to go making a keyboard?  Did you want to design your own PCB, case, matrix etc. from scratch, or build a pre-designed kit?

Either way have a look at the recommended reading and simple questions threads.

Offline Bloodrage Engage

« Reply #356 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 05:32:54 »
Hello. Im new around here, but I do love mechanical keyboards, so I think I will find myself in good company here and I look foreward to wasting my money with you all, ;D

Offline jameschaucer

« Reply #357 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 13:03:26 »
Just this week, every time I plug my datahand in, I get a warning about a power surge on the usb and the keyboard won't work.

I am trying to see if anyone has any information if this is fixable.

I really need this thing to work..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #358 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 05:58:36 »
Hello. Im new around here, but I do love mechanical keyboards, so I think I will find myself in good company here and I look foreward to wasting my money with you all, ;D

Welcome to Geekhack!

There is certainly lots to spend your money on around here :)  But I don't many would agree that it wsa a waste of money :p

Just this week, every time I plug my datahand in, I get a warning about a power surge on the usb and the keyboard won't work.

I am trying to see if anyone has any information if this is fixable.

I really need this thing to work..

Welcome to Geekhack!

Sorry to hear about your Datahand :(

Not many people seem to monitor the new members area, your best bet might be to make a new thread in the keyboards area.

Good luck!

Offline nateperfect

« Reply #359 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 23:14:19 »
Hello all,
I think I'm addicted to keyboards now and instead of seeking help I just joined these forums. I started with a k60 and felt like I got shafted because of the filthy rubber dome keys they sneak in there. It's my fault of course for not reading more about the board but that's what sent me down the rabbit hole. Not to be shafted again I started doing lots of research on different brands, boards, and switches which lead to exploring custom keycaps and diy board kits and on and on. So my original cheapness which lead me to buy the k60 effectively costed me more than I'd like to admit in the form of blowback from this newly found obsession.

Offline karlnp

« Reply #360 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 16:57:02 »
I just picked up a Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja to use for work (I program web development things) and I've already ordered Lpwl's O-rings, a group buy from Massdrop for their Vortex set, and some Signature Plastics zodiac keys. I blame Filco, because until now I thought mechanical keyboards were like my old, loud, badly made (apparently) Das Keyboard, which was clunky and heavy and bottomed out seemingly instantly.

Looking forward to spending too much time here.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #361 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 00:49:47 »
Hello all,
I think I'm addicted to keyboards now and instead of seeking help I just joined these forums. I started with a k60 and felt like I got shafted because of the filthy rubber dome keys they sneak in there. It's my fault of course for not reading more about the board but that's what sent me down the rabbit hole. Not to be shafted again I started doing lots of research on different brands, boards, and switches which lead to exploring custom keycaps and diy board kits and on and on. So my original cheapness which lead me to buy the k60 effectively costed me more than I'd like to admit in the form of blowback from this newly found obsession.

Welcome to Geekhack!

It's amazing how many keyboard-related things there are to purchase.  There are many more now than when I started looking, which is a good thing?  Maybe.  My wallet is not so sure :))

I just picked up a Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja to use for work (I program web development things) and I've already ordered Lpwl's O-rings, a group buy from Massdrop for their Vortex set, and some Signature Plastics zodiac keys. I blame Filco, because until now I thought mechanical keyboards were like my old, loud, badly made (apparently) Das Keyboard, which was clunky and heavy and bottomed out seemingly instantly.

Looking forward to spending too much time here.

Welcome to Geekhack!

You'll also need to look forward to spending too much money here - it's not sometimes called Wallethack for nothing ;)

Offline dodosan

« Reply #362 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 10:59:50 »
Hi,

I'm dodosan and I'm a keyboard enthusiast.
I'm a professional software developer and I've just ordered my first Happy Hacking Keyboard professional 2.

Cheers!

dodosan

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #363 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 11:03:11 »
Hi,

I'm a professional software developer and I've just ordered my first Happy Hacking Keyboard professional 2.

Cheers!

dodosan

Welcome to GeekHack! :cool:

Happy Keyboarding!

Offline dodosan

« Reply #364 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 16:59:36 »
I would have never expected to find a group of keyboard fans!
Internet keeps surprising me.

Cheers!

Dodosan

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #365 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 02:02:49 »
Hi,

Cheers!

dodosan

Welcome to Geekhack!

It's amazing how much there is to keyboards.  Most people look past them to the screen and never give them a second thought.  But when you do start looking, there is just so much that you can do with and to them.

I hope you enjoy your HHKB - I like mine very much :)

Offline dodosan

« Reply #366 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 02:07:55 »
I haven't received my HHKB yet but, can anybody tell me where I could find nice colored keycaps?

Cheers!

Dodosan

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #367 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 03:33:50 »
I haven't received my HHKB yet but, can anybody tell me where I could find nice colored keycaps?

Cheers!

Dodosan

Unfortunately the only real HHKB replacement keycap sets are black or white (lettered or blank).

You can coerce a RealForce set to fit, but as not all the keycaps are the same size and shape on the HHKB to have to compromise a little bit.

It is also unfortunate that no-one is making coloured Topre sets any more :(

You can search for eBay seller widebasket who used to have a few sets available, or have a look through classifieds here as sets turn up from time to time.

Offline dodosan

« Reply #368 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 03:44:45 »
I'll check it out!
Thanx!

Offline therealmatt

« Reply #369 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 16:21:28 »
Hello geekhack community!

Super newbie to the mechanical keyboards. Just getting into it. I know its not a mechanical keyboard but I bought a HHKB Lite2 and really like it so for. I know its still a membrane but I am loving the layout of the keys. Now I want to try my hand on some of the cherry switches!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #370 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 06:10:49 »
Hello geekhack community!

Super newbie to the mechanical keyboards. Just getting into it. I know its not a mechanical keyboard but I bought a HHKB Lite2 and really like it so for. I know its still a membrane but I am loving the layout of the keys. Now I want to try my hand on some of the cherry switches!

Welcome to Geekhack!

I think I've read this story recently ...

Oh yeah :))

Too many posts ...

Offline Seattlejosh

« Reply #371 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 17:22:36 »
Hello, my name is Josh. 

I am facinated with tech and i am becoming heavy into keyboards and peripherals. I am looking into getting a KBC Vortex 60% keyboard and I have a CM Stealth on the way, on order.  I am not in Seattle, but that is a nickname that I go by here in Minnesota.  If anyone is in the area that shares this passion, get at me.  I am wanting to see the keyboard and test it before i drop $150 on it.

Thank you and happy to be apart of GeekHack.

I also just built my first computer so im building around that, for the most part.  Also, to be frank, office furniture hits me in the right place.

Later!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #372 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 06:03:20 »
Hello, my name is Josh. 

I am facinated with tech and i am becoming heavy into keyboards and peripherals. I am looking into getting a KBC Vortex 60% keyboard and I have a CM Stealth on the way, on order.  I am not in Seattle, but that is a nickname that I go by here in Minnesota.  If anyone is in the area that shares this passion, get at me.  I am wanting to see the keyboard and test it before i drop $150 on it.

I also just built my first computer so im building around that, for the most part.  Also, to be frank, office furniture hits me in the right place.

Later!

Welcome to Geekhack!

You might have a look in the off topic area to see if there are any meetups planned for near you.  Usually people take a long a few keyboards, so apart from anything else it is a fantastic opportunity to try some keyboards and switches that you might not otherwise consider.

Edit: Fixed the URL, I seem to be doing that a lot lately :))
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 June 2015, 05:34:23 by rowdy »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #373 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 04:57:52 »
Hello, my name is Josh. 

Later!

What's up man!! :) hopefully someone will hold a meet. I'm not sure how many people we have in mn now, not many that I know of right now. Vortex rocks! Maybe I can show you my gh60 w vortex aluminum case sometime.

Offline curious

« Reply #374 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 18:24:56 »
Hi, my name is Paul, I'm looking to make the jump to an ergonomic keyboard, specifically the Kinesis Advantage.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #375 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 05:52:28 »
Hi, my name is Paul, I'm looking to make the jump to an ergonomic keyboard, specifically the Kinesis Advantage.

Welcome to Geekhack!

There's a few threads that might interest you:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=8110.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=26324.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=29886.0

Older threads perhaps, but looks like more than you ever might want to know about the Kinesis Advantage!

Offline curious

« Reply #376 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 20:29:46 »
Thanks Rowdy!

Welcome to Geekhack!

There's a few threads that might interest you:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=8110.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=26324.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=29886.0

Older threads perhaps, but looks like more than you ever might want to know about the Kinesis Advantage!

Offline MJL

« Reply #377 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 00:18:43 »
G'day, I'm in the sunny Bay of Plenty, New Zealand. Came across this very useful forum when searching for what keyboard to buy that would not loose the text on keys in a couple of months or **** out after a year. Learned lots about keycaps, switches etc. and decided to join just so I can says thanks for having this wonderful and useful community.

I was nor prepared to fork out serious money for a mechanical keyboard unseen, erhh, untested (don't mind paying serious money for good stuff but I need to know that it is going to work for me) and initially finished up buying a cheap keyboard, the Rapoo V500 with yellow switches. I like it a lot so started to look at higher end stuff. Discovered the Deck keyboards with double shot PBT keycaps and doublesided PCB's and Cherry switches. No fancy stuff, looks to be bullet proof with a good track record and the more I read about it the more I started to like the idea. Never mind the keyfonts or bad backlighting, it is a tool and I just wanted something that works reliably and does not loose the characters on the caps.  Price plus shipping US was holding me back until I discovered that downunder we are well served by MechKB in Sydney, yippee! A few keyclicks and a Deck Hassium  with blue background lighting and Cherry MX brown will be shortly on its way. (wanted white lighting but those only come with Cherry MX red)

Thanks to all who made this community possible,
Marinus

Offline dodosan

« Reply #378 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 02:57:57 »
Hi,

I'm using my new Happy Hacking Keyboard professional 2 with OSX.
I still can't use the "delete" key.
Is there any software for OSX to customize the setting of a keyboard?
Cheers

Dodosan

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #379 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 06:04:48 »
G'day, I'm in the sunny Bay of Plenty, New Zealand. Came across this very useful forum when searching for what keyboard to buy that would not loose the text on keys in a couple of months or **** out after a year. Learned lots about keycaps, switches etc. and decided to join just so I can says thanks for having this wonderful and useful community.

I was nor prepared to fork out serious money for a mechanical keyboard unseen, erhh, untested (don't mind paying serious money for good stuff but I need to know that it is going to work for me) and initially finished up buying a cheap keyboard, the Rapoo V500 with yellow switches. I like it a lot so started to look at higher end stuff. Discovered the Deck keyboards with double shot PBT keycaps and doublesided PCB's and Cherry switches. No fancy stuff, looks to be bullet proof with a good track record and the more I read about it the more I started to like the idea. Never mind the keyfonts or bad backlighting, it is a tool and I just wanted something that works reliably and does not loose the characters on the caps.  Price plus shipping US was holding me back until I discovered that downunder we are well served by MechKB in Sydney, yippee! A few keyclicks and a Deck Hassium  with blue background lighting and Cherry MX brown will be shortly on its way. (wanted white lighting but those only come with Cherry MX red)

Thanks to all who made this community possible,
Marinus

Welcome to Geekhack!

MechKB is one of the few keyboard sellers in Australia who also stocks accessories.

PCCaseGear is another with a reasonable range and reasonable prices.

Doubleshot keycaps are the best as the legends never wear out.  Dyesub are next best, as the legends are dyed into the keycap surface, and you'd have to remove a lot of surface to affect the legends.

Hi,

I'm using my new Happy Hacking Keyboard professional 2 with OSX.
I still can't use the "delete" key.
Is there any software for OSX to customize the setting of a keyboard?
Cheers

Dodosan

Welcome to Geekhack!

Delete works like Backspace for me with my HHKB2 on my Mac.

It might be your keyboard's DIP switch settings.  On the back of the keyboard next to the cable socket is a small removable cover.  On the bottom of the keyboard should be a label explaining what the switches do.

I have switches 1 and 2 off (HHK mode), 3 is on (Delete = BS).

Remember to unplug the keyboard and then plug back in again if you change the DIP switch settings, otherwise the keyboard will not recognise the change.

Offline jackmercer

« Reply #380 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 08:02:47 »
Not me wallet D:

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #381 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 08:05:24 »
Not me wallet D:

You'll grow used to the feeling.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #382 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 15:27:13 »
Sup
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline nuru

« Reply #383 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 14:46:51 »
Hello everyone,

My name is Christophe, i'm from France and new to geekhack and to keyboard enthusiasts community also.
To be honnest, i found it pretty randomly during my own search about KB on the web when i've got stunt by the WhiteFireDragon's video about the Phantom custom release.
1 hour later, i've decided to try to do my own keyboard ! :D
So i'm here to learn from you all and i will do my best to achieve this first project with your help, :)

< AZERTY keyboards (future) maker ! ;p

... but for now, i've so much to learn, so let's go !!!  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #384 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 06:17:31 »
Hello everyone,

My name is Christophe, i'm from France and new to geekhack and to keyboard enthusiasts community also.
To be honnest, i found it pretty randomly during my own search about KB on the web when i've got stunt by the WhiteFireDragon's video about the Phantom custom release.
1 hour later, i've decided to try to do my own keyboard ! :D
So i'm here to learn from you all and i will do my best to achieve this first project with your help, :)

< AZERTY keyboards (future) maker ! ;p

... but for now, i've so much to learn, so let's go !!!  :p

Welcome to Geekhack!

There are a lot of French users here - AZERTY seems to be more and more popular every day.  And most AZERTY users swear by it!  Mind you, it can be a bit more difficult to find matching keysets, as most of them are designed for QWERTY, but that is changing too :)

Good luck with your build:)

Offline puissance

« Reply #385 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 20:31:57 »
Hello Everyone,

My name is Joseph and I am excited to join this forum.    I never knew there was group of keyboard enthusiasts on the internet.    I recently learned about mechanical keyboards and have been doing some research as I will need to buy two mechanical keyboards, one for work and another for home.    I am leaning towards Cherry MX Blues but have not decided.  Lots of brands and features to consider.    I look forward to customizing whatever keyboards i get (I have my eye on the coffee keycaps once those go on sell again).   

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #386 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 05:09:13 »
Hello Everyone,

My name is Joseph and I am excited to join this forum.    I never knew there was group of keyboard enthusiasts on the internet.    I recently learned about mechanical keyboards and have been doing some research as I will need to buy two mechanical keyboards, one for work and another for home.    I am leaning towards Cherry MX Blues but have not decided.  Lots of brands and features to consider.    I look forward to customizing whatever keyboards i get (I have my eye on the coffee keycaps once those go on sell again).   

Welcome to Geekhack!

It's amazing how much there is in the mechanical keyboard field - and you just thought it was something you typed on :p

MX blues re clicky - if you're planning on using such a keyboard at work, I hope your work mates can tolerate the noise ;)

Offline puissance

« Reply #387 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 18:39:30 »
MX blues re clicky - if you're planning on using such a keyboard at work, I hope your work mates can tolerate the noise

Luckily I have my own office.   The question is if I will be okay with the noise LOL.    I'm an accountant who spends a lot of time on the keyboard, especially on the ten key - so I'm looking for a full 104 keyboard that will not cause my fingers to get fatigued as easily.    I brought myself one of those cherry MX sampler kits but it I am still having difficulty in deciding which switch is best for me.   Initially I was thinking blue since those are suppose to be geared towards typist and I do like the tactile feel of them.   I just wonder if the actuation force needed will cause fingers to get fatigued.   

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 05:20:45 »
MX blues re clicky - if you're planning on using such a keyboard at work, I hope your work mates can tolerate the noise

Luckily I have my own office.   The question is if I will be okay with the noise LOL.    I'm an accountant who spends a lot of time on the keyboard, especially on the ten key - so I'm looking for a full 104 keyboard that will not cause my fingers to get fatigued as easily.    I brought myself one of those cherry MX sampler kits but it I am still having difficulty in deciding which switch is best for me.   Initially I was thinking blue since those are suppose to be geared towards typist and I do like the tactile feel of them.   I just wonder if the actuation force needed will cause fingers to get fatigued.   

Some of the switch testers are reasonable, but nothing beats typing on a whole keyboard with the chosen switch.

Blues are fairly light, at least compared to other MX switches.  The click is a bit high-pitched - there's nothing you can do about that.

If you press the keys too heavily, you'll get a thunk as the switches bottom out.  You can dampen that somewhat with O-rings (small rubber rings that fit under the keycaps).

If you live near somewhere that sells keyboards, they might let you type on a couple to get the feel of the switches.

If you don't like the clickiness of MX blues, MX reds are similarly weighted (45g) and are liners.  Or MX browns are also 45g, but slightly tactile (a little bump as you press the switch down, but no click).

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #389 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 22:16:02 »
Hi!

I'm Meika and is a total newbie to mechanical keyboards. To be honest, as I read posts here it was kind of intimidating to see people use terms I couldn't understand much but that's why I'm here. To learn :)

I currently have a Ducky Legend Red Switch and really liking it! My only problem is that the availability of personalized keycaps from where I am  is so limited. I'm dying to personalize mine and so, to fix this dilemma, I will test myself to make my own. It would be so nice to know people who makes one and learn a lot from everyone ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #390 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 05:40:20 »
Hi!

I'm Meika and is a total newbie to mechanical keyboards. To be honest, as I read posts here it was kind of intimidating to see people use terms I couldn't understand much but that's why I'm here. To learn :)

I currently have a Ducky Legend Red Switch and really liking it! My only problem is that the availability of personalized keycaps from where I am  is so limited. I'm dying to personalize mine and so, to fix this dilemma, I will test myself to make my own. It would be so nice to know people who makes one and learn a lot from everyone ;D

The Geekhack Glossary sounds like a nice evening's read for you :)

Offline Makie

« Reply #391 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 11:00:54 »
Hi,
    I'm Makie and I'm happy to be here. I have a long history with mechanical keyboards going back to dumb  terminals from the 70's. I've always  liked the positive feedback that a mechanical keyboard offers but for a time the need for macro able gaming keyboards pretty much meant moving over to various types of (short lived) membrane keyboards. When the Corsair K70 came out I jumped on it and that has been my daily driver for the last few years. I still have a shed full of older KB's from the 80's and 90's that maybe one day will be the basis of my own design.

In the near term I'm here to learn and to ask advice from people that make stuff. My two immediate projects are 1) Reusing old and interesting keyboards in new projects (Electron Pi and Think Pi) and 2) eventually a mechanical G13.

Offline alldayrelief

« Reply #392 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 12:17:47 »
Hi all! I'm new to geekhack, but I've been interested in mechs for a few years now. I just finished building a planck quark if you want to check it out:
http://i.imgur.com/iZFvv82.jpg

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #393 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 01:00:16 »
Hi all! I'm new to geekhack, but I've been interested in mechs for a few years now. I just finished building a planck quark if you want to check it out:

Welcome to GeekHack! :cool: What switches did you go with for your build?

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #394 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 17:22:51 »
Fairly new. Decided it was time I branched out from /r/MK. I enjoy my time here just as much as there! The interest checks and group buys are the real draw :D

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Reigning Hell

• Forever Fiending 4 a V2
« Reply #395 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 16:30:15 »
what's up yall? Just got into mechs when I bought a poker II w/ browns for school a few weeks ago. Already been exploring the forums and bought some HKP artisans, so can't wait to work on my board.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #396 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 05:56:26 »
Hi,
    I'm Makie and I'm happy to be here. I have a long history with mechanical keyboards going back to dumb  terminals from the 70's. I've always  liked the positive feedback that a mechanical keyboard offers but for a time the need for macro able gaming keyboards pretty much meant moving over to various types of (short lived) membrane keyboards. When the Corsair K70 came out I jumped on it and that has been my daily driver for the last few years. I still have a shed full of older KB's from the 80's and 90's that maybe one day will be the basis of my own design.

In the near term I'm here to learn and to ask advice from people that make stuff. My two immediate projects are 1) Reusing old and interesting keyboards in new projects (Electron Pi and Think Pi) and 2) eventually a mechanical G13.

Welcome to Geekhack!

There's lots of threads and advice available on making stuff in the, ahem, making stuff together section.

Good luck :)

Welcome to Geekhack!

That's a nice 40% keyboard you have there :)  For me 60% is about the limit (in HHKB format, no less), but I can see the appeal of a smaller keyboard.  Maybe one day, just for fun ........

Fairly new. Decided it was time I branched out from /r/MK. I enjoy my time here just as much as there! The interest checks and group buys are the real draw :D

Welcome again (I'm running really behind in the New Members area, having had the flu for the past 9 days or so).

what's up yall? Just got into mechs when I bought a poker II w/ browns for school a few weeks ago. Already been exploring the forums and bought some HKP artisans, so can't wait to work on my board.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Another Poker buyer - I was beginning to think that the FC660M was edging out the Poker as the 60% keyboard of choice.

There was this time about 6 months ago where it seemed like nearly every new member had a Poker of some sort.

The last few days it seems there are more FC660M keyboard than anything!

Either one is a fantastic keyboard btw :D

Offline mscientist

• Eclectic Imaging
« Reply #397 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 17:17:44 »
Hello geekhack,

I'm the new one. I realized the value of good keyboards quite some time ago; my model M from '91 and the 80's Chickony are no ebay buys, but my work equipment I've used since then. But I've never designed a keyboard by myself; something I'd like to do one day (as soon as I've read all these great threads here). Today I've purchased a model F keyboard, so I thought this would be reason enough to join this community (after lurking for several months).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #398 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 22:10:35 »
Hello geekhack,

I'm the new one. I realized the value of good keyboards quite some time ago; my model M from '91 and the 80's Chickony are no ebay buys, but my work equipment I've used since then. But I've never designed a keyboard by myself; something I'd like to do one day (as soon as I've read all these great threads here). Today I've purchased a model F keyboard, so I thought this would be reason enough to join this community (after lurking for several months).

Welcome to Geekhack!

Designing a keyboard is a huge undertaking - from designing the PCB, the electronics, the switches, the case, finding somewhere to get it all made, putting it together, responding to queries from curious people ;)

But if you have a Model F, why would you be looking for any other keyboard? :p

Offline EN34

« Reply #399 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 14:31:37 »
Hey there GH!

I am completely new to GH, not even a lurker... Well not completely new, I have been led here from r/mk a few times.  ;D

So I have:
  • Roccat Ryos MkPro - Mx-Blue (gaming board, obviously my first mech ._.)
  • DasKeyboard Ultimate 4 - Mx-Blue (my board in the office)
  • Rappoo KX - yellow kailh (to try linear switches... not for me, but those who like it...)

And I am currently trying to decide on my next board which will be either Mx-Clear or the CM Novatouch, it should just be 80% or 60%. I just couldn't decide yet.

Note: I prefer the US-ANSI layout to the rest, which makes it difficult to get boards for a reasonable price here in Switzerland. Feel free to AMA! :D