Author Topic: I'm the new guy  (Read 2696 times)

Offline drteeth

I'm the new guy
« on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 09:41:08 »
So I'm the new guy here. I've been looking into mechanical keyboards for about a week now and found this great forum and thought I'd register. I have no real experience with mechanicals but from what I've read and seen/heard on Youtube, I'd like something with Cherry Blues. My main use is programming/developing and do very little gaming. However, since I haven't really seen/heard any mechanical in person since the mid-80's, I'm wondering if that is really what I want.

Does anyone know of a member in the Central Arkansas area that has a mechanical keyboard that I could touch/hear?

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: I'm the new guy
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 09:49:05 »

Unfortunately I am unsure of and GeekHackers in the Arkansas area.  I wish I could be of greater assistance, but I'm up in the northeast US.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 09:55:46 »
Welcome!  It started with Browns and after having tried all the other switches they are still my favorite.  If you do want that clicky sound, blues may be the way to go.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 10:01:47 »
Welcome to geekhack!!!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 10:57:07 »
Welcome young padawan.

May the clicks and clacks be with you (but not your money).
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline drteeth

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 22:33:36 »
Thanks everyone. After some more research, I may be leaning towards browns. Along that line, I think I may have just locked my eyes on the KBT Race 70% keyboard. I've done a quick couple of searches on google and can't really find a way to order them. Does anyone know where I can find one with white backlights and brown switches?

Offline drteeth

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 22:35:42 »
Welcome!  It started with Browns and after having tried all the other switches they are still my favorite.  If you do want that clicky sound, blues may be the way to go.

I'm not real picky on the sound, but from what I've read it has more of a tactile feel than browns. But, I may be leaning towards browns now anyway.

On another note, is that Beaker on your keycap in your avatar? If I eventually get a keyboard, I may have to find out where you got that. I'm a big Muppets fan (note my username).

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 00:30:56 »
A couple of places carry the race. Here's Qtan's (a member here) store:
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-br/kbt-race-75-backlit-mechanical/lid=23924041
(looks like he only has the white limited one)

Here's another store (ShakeR, also here on GH runs it)
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=120
(Though they appear to be out of stock at the moment)

Offline drteeth

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 08:23:38 »
Cool, thanks for the links.

Do you know what the differences between the regular and limited edition are? I can't find any differences on Qtan's page.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 13:41:02 »
However, since I haven't really seen/heard any mechanical in person since the mid-80's, I'm wondering if that is really what I want.

I'm new to the forum too, and I wanted a mechanical -- went with an IBM Model M. The following link sealed the deal for me. It cannot simulate the tactility of the keyboard, but it does a fine job with simulating the sound. They should do the same for some other keyboards.

http://webwit.nl/input/kbsim/

GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline tgujay

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 15:16:43 »
Go Blues, you'll never want anything else.
Gotta collect them all

Offline drteeth

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 16:59:59 »
AHHH! So I just ordered a KBT Race with Cherry Blues and White LEDs from mechanicalkeyboards.com. It should be shipped Monday (according to their site) but I put in the comments a (hopefully) pleasant request to get it out ASAP. I can't wait!  ;D