Author Topic: [IC] GMK SkIIdata (March 13 Launch)  (Read 80237 times)

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
  • Because You Need the Feels...
    • The Key Dot Company
[IC] GMK SkIIdata (March 13 Launch)
« on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 15:39:27 »
2019-03-12 UPDATE - PRODUCT PAGE IS LIVE WITH ALL INFO. HAVE A LOOK

2019-03-07 UPDATE - Due to CATastrophe (Masha the cat spilled tea on my MacBook) I have to delay the launch by a few days. March 13 is the day!

2019-02-28 UPDATE - Buy goes live March 8, 2019. More details will be added to the site next week. We have a few surprises up our sleeve on this one! Stay tuned.

2019-01-23 UPDATE - New kits loaded to the page. Slight changes. No orange relegendable tops will be available, GMK cannot make them. Also, Ive removed the blue spacebars to keep costs reasonable. I listened to as much feedback as I could and added what could be added. Lets see what you think.

2019-01-03 UPDATE - Happy New Year! Im going to be working on the kits this week and hopefully have something solid very soon. Stay tuned and keep voicing your opinion. Thanks!

Hey everybody. You thought this was dead, but its not. I apologize for the long delays in this. Between delays from projects we have in the pipe to things going on in my personal life (started a new brick and mortar business, soon to be moving into a new house AND I have 2 kids) this got delayed longer than I wanted.

First off, thank you for all of your feedback to date. I have listened. One thing that is settled is that the base kit will be OG mods and orange will be in their own kit.

I cant make promises as to a timeline. Im thinking early 2019 at this point. Were about to run GMK DMG, were waiting on Keyreative to finish some manufacturing details for Sanctuary Rebirth, and were waiting on color samples for Classic Space. Needless to say, TKC has alot in the works, just not much is ready. I will slip this set in between GMK DMG and whatever set Keyreative is ready to run next. I dont need much of a buffer between them, so by the time DMG is wrapping up, we can get Skidata MkII going. Ive left you waiting long enough. As always, proxies will be set up in Europe and Asia.

For me the trickiest thing for this (and with any keyset we run) is getting the balance correct. Compatibility, offerings (windowed keys, ISO support, color options), hitting MOQ, and price is a delicate balance, especially with GMK. This set is something VERY special to me, Im sure Im not alone when I say that Skidata is one of my favorite GMK sets of all time. Some of you have commented below sharing that sentiment. So lets get this right. The sets Ive created below (please ignore the icons, KLE doesnt make them right, I dont have time to make this is Illustrator, and Im not paying for renders yet) and give me your thoughts on what we've missed, and what can go so we can keep the price reasonable. I did NOT mock up the relegendables kit but it WILL make an appearance, as long as I can convince GMK to make them.

See below what needs to be done.

From the original post:

Skidata+ is one of my favorite sets of all time. I remember when I bought the pre-order for the full kit and dropped almost $400, I had reservations but I wanted it SO bad that I didn't care. I absolutely love it.

Ive been in and out of the thread for the original GB for the set and as many of you know, there are a handful (or more) people who had issues with their orders and never got resolution.

This post has a few intentions:

• Announce that I will be running this set later this year, probably Q2 WHOOPS - Q1 2019 OR SOONER
  • See what changes to the first round need to be made and what the majority would like to see. IN PROGRESS
  • Figure out what issues people had with their orders in R1 and see what I can do to help resolve those issues. COMPLETE
  • See if people are interested in buying GMK Skidata. SIKE! Thats a joke, y'all know you want one! IN PROGRESS
  • Get a name for this group buy. Skidata ______ ? Contest will be ran with the submissions. SkIIdata (please give feedback in the form.Thanks for the suggestion, I didnt collect usernames like a dumbass so Ill email you for it, that or chime in please. LOVE the idea

NEW MOCKUPS PLEASE IGNORE THE GOOFY ICONS

211252-0  211254-1 
  211258-3 

Support us! Paste this into your signature to spread the word!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93096.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/D14PZwy.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 March 2019, 10:56:59 by TheKeyCompany »

Offline TerryMathews

Re: [IC] GMK Skidata (official name TBD)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 15:43:35 »
Looks like SKIDATA Terminal to me.  :thumb:

Offline Myoth

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 15:45:05 »
OG mods look better than the Orange ones, it gives a more classic look but still offers colour...

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 15:47:27 »
R5 for a change.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline autobot

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 15:50:45 »
I prefer the OG looking mods rather than orange.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 16:18:50 »
prefer separate the orange and blue mods as another kit like the original GB

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 16:24:05 »
I'd prefer OG mods as well.

Offline avid

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 16:34:16 »
Please make skidata monochrome and sell the extra as color pack.

Offline OmegaSupreme

• For Cybertron!!!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 16:38:31 »
prefer separate the orange and blue mods as another kit like the original GB

Yup I agree with this.

I am definitely in. This plus terminal? Man 2018 looking bright already!
| TX-CP | Dolphin V3x 2 | Dolphin Padx 2 | Unicorn X Legend | Jane V2 | Jane V2 CE |

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 17:06:43 »
I prefer the orange mods as you've suggested but I would also like the option to buy the OG ones - people love them and I do as well. If I were to have it my way I would have the OG + blue in a separate kit and the orange in base, but if you make it the other way around as it was for Skidata+ then that's fine by me too.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 17:20:13 »
I would prefer the base kit to remain with original N9 mods, and orange mods and accents offered as extras, that way it allows people from the original round who already has a main kit to just order the coloured mods, seems a bit fairer, and I know a lot of people like the dark mods as evident by comments.

I would also like to see some more stuff added to support the new layouts that are becoming more popular (like 40%, orthos, split spacebars etc etc...)

I know you did an Ergodox kit in the first run of GMK Terminal, perhaps running that kit again along this, there are a fair number of Ergodox users around, and also offer a kit for 40% and/or ortho users like Planck or Preonic. I think Evangs from Van Keyboards ran a successful 40% add on kit for GMK9009 recently, so there probably is sufficient demand. Split spacebar kits with convex small spacebar sizes would be good too! I really liked having the convex 2u spacebar to use with my Planck, would be good to find out if GMK can offer convex spacebars in other sizes too (currently they only have the common big spacebars and 1u/2u keys in convex profile, iirc)

Also please consider offering the International Essentials kit again, I'd much rather having the kit offered and not meet MOQ rather than not having one at all  :))
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline hansichen

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 17:30:30 »
I definitely prefer the og color, orange mods look way too flashy
R5 for a change.
Actually og skidata doesn't feature R5 caps, it only came with row 4 caps

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 17:31:12 »
R5 for a change.
Actually og skidata doesn't feature R5 caps, it only came with row 4 caps
That'd be the change.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 18:02:08 »
Oh haha, I shouldn't post before my first coffee. I thought it refers to round 1 of this gmk set.
Row 5 is nice but as it adds at least 12 caps which are mostly twice in the set it may increase the price by a lot

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 18:03:53 »
Oh haha, I shouldn't post before my first coffee. I thought it refers to round 1 of this gmk set.
Row 5 is nice but as it adds at least 12 caps which are mostly twice in the set it may increase the price by a lot

It would. And the price isn’t going to be fantastic if we run 2 mod kits for both colors unless we sell a ton of them.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 18:09:10 »
Sadly, you're very right, furthermore R5 seems to cost more than R4.
Despite I always ask for R5, I never actually truly expect to see it made.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 18:10:03 »
R5 for a change.

Maybe as a separate kit, but I wouldn't want to have R5 in the base kit, they're a cool novelty and a nice historical curiosity, but I don't feel that they work nearly as well as R4. The agressive keytop angle tends to mean that I'm applying force to the switch oblique from the switch central axis (kinda orthogonal to the surface of the keytop), so I always feel like I'm getting more friction while using R5 caps. There must be a reason Cherry dropped it from their keycap arrangements.

Perhaps it's just placebo, perhaps not. In any case, I don't really like them for daily use, and wouldn't want it in the base kit. Just my Ł0.02...

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 18:12:32 »
Please make the orange mods a separate kit. Many of us prefer the original mods. Also. R5 pleaseeeeee

Offline avid

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 18:18:07 »
I feel that people are ready for a Q1 skidata  :D

For orange mods, i really prefer orange spacebar.

I'd like to suggest this kit structure: (even if being ran outside MD, skidata will be a massive success. Compare with 9009)
1. Base-kit all n9 uniform
2. Orange mod kit (with some blues)
3. orange + blue space-bar kit

Also, since everything is stock colors, MOQ is fairly low for such a popular set, so we will reach price breaks.

I feel to many weird keys are being cramped into this set. skidata+ has a beautiful kit design.
-Terminal key. It makes sense for "terminal" but not skidata.
-VIM keys
-8 blank orange keys. Why is there so many blanks oranges?
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 December 2017, 18:22:04 by avid »

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 18:20:53 »
Please make the orange mods a separate kit. Many of us prefer the original mods. Also. R5 pleaseeeeee

R5 for a change.

Can one of you guys make a quick mock up to show me exactly what you’re looking for as far as R5 goes? Like which keys and sizes? I assume the bottom row; in which case, to accommodate everyone that’s a lot of keys (a lot of $$$ too)

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 18:22:59 »
I assume the bottom row; in which case, to accommodate everyone that’s a lot of keys (a lot of $$$ too)

Yeah, that's it. if you could make r5 bottom rows a separate pack, I know I for one would pay extra to get it.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 18:45:16 »
I'd like to suggest this kit structure: (even if being ran outside MD, skidata will be a massive success. Compare with 9009)
1. Base-kit all n9 uniform
2. Orange mod kit (with some blues)
3. orange + blue space-bar kit

Well, I don't think that it will be as successful as 9009 as this set was run at a very low price whereas tkc sets are normally on the higher end, that will definetly have its influence. But I agree in the set structure and I would take inspiration in the 9009 base kit as it was perfect imo.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 19:00:35 »
Taking Avid's response, I'd like to see this regarding kits:

1. base kit with N9 uniform and a few of the "more important" accents to give it its classic look.
2. addon kit with the rest of the orange mods needed to achieve the full orange mod look + other blue accents (if not already included in base),
3. blue and orange space bars
4. re-legendables (not interested in those though, personally)

PS: Keep it Q2 if possible, tons of cool boards coming in Q1 (VE.A2, M0110, CA66, TKC's own 1800, Samoyed, etc), I think a lot of people are still going to be recuperating from Christmas time and all that too.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 19:18:17 »
Taking Avid's response, I'd like to see this regarding kits:

1. base kit with N9 uniform and a few of the "more important" accents to give it its classic look.
2. addon kit with the rest of the orange mods needed to achieve the full orange mod look + other blue accents (if not already included in base),
3. blue and orange space bars
4. re-legendables (not interested in those though, personally)

PS: Keep it Q2 if possible, tons of cool boards coming in Q1 (VE.A2, M0110, CA66, TKC's own 1800, Samoyed, etc), I think a lot of people are still going to be recuperating from Christmas time and all that too.

All of the above and maybe some R5 love.

And please, no giant arrow backspace icon?

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 December 2017, 19:28:34 by wholypantalones »

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 19:22:42 »

R5 for a change.

Can one of you guys make a quick mock up to show me exactly what you’re looking for as far as R5 goes? Like which keys and sizes? I assume the bottom row; in which case, to accommodate everyone that’s a lot of keys (a lot of $$$ too)

OG Cherry boards that had R5 only had like 4 R5 sizes ever made iirc:

1u (self-explanatory, these went into the arrow keys and numpad .)
1.5u (Ctrl + Alt)
2u (Numpad 0)
2u vertical (Numpad Enter, this is a bit of a special case, it is distinct from modern Numpad Enter so I include it here, not sure how relevant that is)

Not really something I'd consider using on a regular basis, nice to have it offered, but I definitely would not want it in the base kit.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 19:39:07 »
As with everyone else's opinion, I'd strongly prefer a single base color set with an optional color pack add-on. I'm wondering if everyone is aware that this will be pricey though, I am and still want it.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 19:40:23 »
For name SkIIdata or Skidata Mk. II. Either one of these to symbolize a second run and provide some distance from the original run

Also, I dig the orange mods being in the base set. I personally think the orange is what made this set stand out so much for me in the first place.

Now, my one begging request... PLEASE is there any chance to get a 6u spacebar included? Either in base or an add on?

edit: I mean in the N9 color.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 19:51:38 »
OG mods pls. other than that, it's fine.
R5 would be interesting as well..
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 20:02:43 »
For name SkIIdata or Skidata Mk. II. Either one of these to symbolize a second run and provide some distance from the original run

Also, I dig the orange mods being in the base set. I personally think the orange is what made this set stand out so much for me in the first place.

Now, my one begging request... PLEASE is there any chance to get a 6u spacebar included? Either in base or an add on?

Im with you on the orange mods, but looks as though the masses want it the other way around. There is still plenty of time to figure out what everyone wants.

Are you actively looking for an N9 6u spacebar? Cause if you are, I have a spare you can have.

Offline nickysan92

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 20:11:29 »
1. R5 would be a great addition.
2. Base kit with N9 as echoed by the rest, with add-on orange mods. Would prefer the same applied to spacebars with the base kit having just N9 spacebars, and the addons having the blue+orange spacebar.

Thank you for doing this.

Offline Devkey

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 21:11:09 »
I have nothing to add other than that I would definitely be interested in a new run of Skidata.

Offline mrkevint

• OK.
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 21:48:11 »
I agree with the sentiment about having the orange mods and blue accents as a separate kit.

I love the OG Skidata look. Plus it would allow people with the Skidata+ base kit to just buy the mods (like me) :P

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 21:56:06 »
+1 OG mods on base. Also would like full Yuri icon mods.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 22:34:13 »
OG mods and color pack. And you can ditch vim keys and all the >_ keys to make it more affordable to buy the add-ons.
keyboards.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 05:06:49 »

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 05:58:08 »
R5 mockup.

Probably just a limitation if kle, but the R5 numpad enter should be an icon like the rest of the set instead of just "enter".

Offline hansichen

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 06:06:55 »
We should think about including the 1u 0 key into the R5 kit

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 06:33:59 »
R5 is another waste of money IMO unless you only do R5, not R4 bottom row.  Affordable and a bajillion keys with a mod pack don't go hand and hand.
keyboards.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 07:12:14 »
R5 mockup.

Probably just a limitation if kle, but the R5 numpad enter should be an icon like the rest of the set instead of just "enter".
Yeah, didn't mean to match legends as well. It should only give an idea about the number of caps needed.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 07:32:50 »
Also would like full Yuri icon mods.

Almost forgot about this. I'd really like it if one of the addon kits (as I assume it'd be too bold a move to make them base) included the remaining Icon mods necessary for the bottom row using Yuri moulds. I think that makes it much more cohesive than the "standard" way of doing icon mods.

Offline tron

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 10:30:02 »
1. R5 would be a great addition.
2. Base kit with N9 as echoed by the rest, with add-on orange mods. Would prefer the same applied to spacebars with the base kit having just N9 spacebars, and the addons having the blue+orange spacebar.

Thank you for doing this.

This sounds great. Better to have a large base kit with standard+R5 and keep the orange mods, spacebars, etc as separate kits.

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 12:17:45 »
R5 mockup.

Thanks, TalkingTree.

Im going to work on some new mockups and hopefully get some quotes out to GMK after the holidays wind down.

Thanks everyone who has commented and contributed their thoughts and opinions. Keep them coming!

Offline Hazzula

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 12:19:18 »
As long as its got enough caps for an ortho, im in :D

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline Kavik

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 13:27:18 »
Even though I don't need anymore keycap sets, this might go well with my future black and carbon orange Moon TKL. Somewhat interested.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Pell99

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 13:32:11 »
It's very interesting.
I want the base and the orange & blue point keycap. Like a Honeywell set.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 17:30:46 »

Im with you on the orange mods, but looks as though the masses want it the other way around. There is still plenty of time to figure out what everyone wants.

Are you actively looking for an N9 6u spacebar? Cause if you are, I have a spare you can have.

I really appreciate that gesture! Not actively looking. I just switched to a Tina-A as my main board, which means that all sets that come out that I want to buy I really want a matching 6u spacebar for.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 17:39:53 »
I am ALWAYS interested in some good ole skidata. Of course, I'd be more interested in the original mods and not the orange ones.

Also, does anyone know where to get those clear plastic top caps that can be labeled for that OG skidata feel?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 19:52:32 »
I am ALWAYS interested in some good ole skidata. Of course, I'd be more interested in the original mods and not the orange ones.

Also, does anyone know where to get those clear plastic top caps that can be labeled for that OG skidata feel?

They’re called relegendables, they were offered as a kit in the original round. I plan on giving it a go with R2. 

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 20:36:01 »

Source for V.EA2?

Offline OmegaSupreme

• For Cybertron!!!
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 20:45:21 »

Source for V.EA2?

The OP in the SaiB group buy mentioned it. Not sure if there are any other sources.
| TX-CP | Dolphin V3x 2 | Dolphin Padx 2 | Unicorn X Legend | Jane V2 | Jane V2 CE |