Author Topic: G80-3494 (Black with Silent Reds) for $65 shipped  (Read 10614 times)

Offline Rayndalf

G80-3494 (Black with Silent Reds) for $65 shipped
« on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 23:48:03 »
Not a terrible deal, supposedly NKRO and the switches are decent. The caps look to be laser etched POM with infill so they are dirt magnets, but the rollover and silent switches with a standard layout make this a great 'first board' gift for friends and family.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHERRY-DESKTOP-G80-3494LWCEU-2-104KEY-USB-PS2-MX-BOARD-SILENT/123805605501?

Edit: posted this with the wrong link the first time :-[
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 November 2019, 00:11:21 by Rayndalf »

Offline martink

Re: G80-3494 (Black with Silent Reds) for $65 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 01:59:43 »
I just received one of these. The keyboard was BNIB sealed and has a silent red model number, but the actual switches were plain reds, not silent red.

I haven't talked to the seller yet.

It does have diodes in the switches so should be NKRO. The controller PCB is attached to the switch matrix with a 28 pin ribbon cable (!?) plus ground. Might be able to convert to QMK with a Teensy++

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 05:06:19 »
Thanks for the heads up. I know some models of the G80-34XX have silent switches, but I bought a G80-11900 a while back that should have had silent blacks judging by the article number, but had normal blacks instead, so Cherry seems to treat them as suggestions at this point.

Are the diodes wired up in such a way that opening the switches is possible?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 09:49:03 »
I just received one of these. The keyboard was BNIB sealed and has a silent red model number, but the actual switches were plain reds, not silent red.

It does have diodes in the switches so should be NKRO. The controller PCB is attached to the switch matrix with a 28 pin ribbon cable (!?) plus ground. Might be able to convert to QMK with a Teensy++

They say silent because linear is not a clicky switch. Like Razer says that Linear is silent, Tactile is silent with a bump, Clicky is loud/tactile. Yeah marketing  :confused:
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline martink

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 11:14:53 »
Thanks for the heads up. I know some models of the G80-34XX have silent switches, but I bought a G80-11900 a while back that should have had silent blacks judging by the article number, but had normal blacks instead, so Cherry seems to treat them as suggestions at this point.

Yep, you can open the switches, no problem.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 19:07:56 »

They say silent because linear is not a clicky switch. Like Razer says that Linear is silent, Tactile is silent with a bump, Clicky is loud/tactile. Yeah marketing  :confused:

Its especially weird since Cherry "invented" silent switches (adapted the design of dampened Alps to MX) and similarly branded models of the G80-3494 feature or claim to feature them by name.
229408-0
Converting one to QMK is probably a good idea, PCBs designed to fit the G80-3000 case usually require soldering diodes or using proprietary programs to flash them. If only the 3000 got as much love as its smaller sibling, the 1800.

Yep, you can open the switches, no problem.

Glad they are using diodes the right way now, using the LED slots for jumperwires or diodes makes older boards remarkably hard to service (harder than normal plate-mounted boards if you plan on cleaning all the switches)
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 November 2019, 19:13:37 by Rayndalf »

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 17:12:26 »
I was able to purchase one of these and had the seller check for the switches. He did confirm some of them were not silent.

I will be posting pics here soon.