Author Topic: I'm REALLY trying to like Topre...  (Read 48521 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: I'm REALLY trying to like Topre...
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 05:35:23 »
I know HHKBs are tiny and cute and all, but I don't see how it could possibly be more ergonomic to have to hold down extra keys to do a bunch of things you can do with single keys on regular boards. Maybe I'm missing something.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #251 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 06:02:00 »
I have been typing on my 87UB 55g uniform for about a year now. For me, this is the best board I have ever typed on: sturdy, quiet, perfect travel, the crispiness I crave for.

I occasionally switch back to my KUL with clears, and my HHKB white at the office. But every time when I get back on my 87UB 55g I am like "ahhwwwww dyeess".
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline typo

« Reply #252 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 07:23:24 »
I use a 104UB and now the RGB. As a programmer I find the HHKB very tedious. I want as high as I can WPM and pressing two keys slows me down.

I am upset that Mechanical keyboards is selling the RGB for $199. Topre specifically does not allow that. Up fine, but not below a certain base. In the case of the RGB it is $229USD but is most commonly $269. No one feel bad they are not an authorized dealer and it is worth $269 all day long. Topre actually considers it their new flagship board. Future Topre products will follow these workings. There is a board in Japan that is like the RGB on steroids.  Elite keyboards is very pricy due to now selling all their stock on Amazon for much less. I do not endorse buying any product from a non authorized dealer.

Interestingly you will find the RGB sold out almost everywhere. Someone must like it. Mechanical keyboards has stock at $199 because most enthusiasts probably feel the way I do. They can keep them IMO.

Offline justinmtype

« Reply #253 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 08:43:58 »
I’d never feel bad about competition giving me a lower price.

Offline typo

« Reply #254 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 04:09:29 »
The problem is they are not authorized to do so. Like Grey market stuff.

I find Topre 45g on the RGB to be as stiff as MX clears which is good. I doubt most agree. I also have trouble with missed actuation. The RGB solved this. The RGB is honestly very nice. It is certainly a real Topre.

Offline zslane

« Reply #255 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 11:44:31 »
I agree. I just wish the RGB had a better case, and I'd gladly trade the stoopid backlighting for one.

Offline typo

« Reply #256 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:36:35 »
The case is actually in some respects better than the 104UB IMO. Neither seem great but they are battle tested :)

As for Cherry solder joints, throw in backlighting and there are often problems. Led's going out etc. That is why they finally introduced the MX RGB. However, now the switch is even more complicated. More parts, more to fail. The Topre RGB is all SMD Led's. So I hope it holds up better than MX based boards with 3mm Led's. I guess time will tell. I will say it is more difficult to disassemble a Topre than most MX boards. All they are is a bunch of soldering. That indeed is why Topre is more reliable. The case is not exactly what you would expect for $269 but it is actually fine. I really like the RGB. It is my daily driver right now. Of course I do not have to tell anyone the GMK caps are great for ABS. I replaced mine only with a colored set of GMK's. ABS can actually be decent. Once the thing is on the desk it is very solid. There is no reason to push the case around and be disappointed. You put it on the desk and it feels very study. They now consider it their flagship board. Future boards will use some of it's features I am told. If I was buying I would go for the RGB regardless now. Not the 104U. Unless you do not want a full board. The backlight bleeds like mad on low even but it is refreshing not to be as bright as those Deck's I love. This is a good, solid board. I highly recommend it and right now over other Topre's for a full size. I am very pleased with it and I am very hard to impress. You just have to accept any of Topre's cases move around but you do not have to push it. Just sit it down and start typing. I wish I had the Japan market one. As usual they saved the fanciest for the home market. I still would not buy it on the Grey market either if I could. My feeling is it is not polite to support those people. Everyone is entitled to do as they please of course.

Offline dante

« Reply #257 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:15:15 »
I’d never feel bad about competition giving me a lower price.

The problem is they are not authorized to do so. Like Grey market stuff.

How do you know they are not authorized to do so?  Are you an employee of either Topre or MK?

If MK was indeed pulling shenanigans I doubt Topre would have given them access to their entire portfolio of products.

Offline typo

« Reply #258 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 23:43:06 »
I asked Seasonic okay. There are many other ways to get stock than through the traditional routes. Topre, per Seasonic does not want it sold for less than $229 on sale but currently the regular price is $269. I do take issue with places that are not legit. You will notice your warranty is through them and not Topre. That alone is a telltale giveaway.

You know like PC stuff you can buy it way under legit prices but you might be very sorry you did. I am not a goody two shoes by any means. I just do not think that is very polite. to undermine something someone worked hard to design. Obviously I feel this way as a programmer. Like WAREZ to me straight up sucks. If for nothing else taking dinner off my table! This is loosely likened to that.

There is no reason Seasonic would lie to me or anyone.

I had also Emailed the CEO of Topre and they responded. Japanese tend to be humble and not inflated like some Americans. So they told me it is over 95% made at there factory in japan. When I had said it was Chinese I was going off of incorrect information and I apologize for that.

Some abuse the law with the slapping label, 1 screw etc. Many speculate New Balance made in USA models are they put the laces in. BS! They pretty much build the whole darn shoe. Maybe the glue is from China.

Think about this, Elite keyboards whom are legit cannot even get stock right now! They sold their remaining stock on Amazon just to gain some capital but who knows when they could restock. Also notice their price! If they could sell if for less they most certainly would since they are in competition with MK. Basically same as new in box Ebay ads.

Anyways I think right now I would sort of suggest this over the 104UB. Since future topre boards will use much of this anyways. The case is so-so just in a different way than the 104UB. It is not a big deal. Flat on the desk it feels very solid.  I guess Topre feels GMK is nicer than Dyesub PBT too. This board in Japan I wish I could get. It is like a RGB on steroids. I like the RGB at least as much as the 104UB. I oringed and lubed mine. Even out of the box it certainly had thonk. I do not know if those videos have a cheap mic or what. It is absolutely fine IMO.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #259 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 06:05:51 »

It comes with actual GMK's. They are not Ducky as some think. I put a Massdrop GMK set on mine. Same quality though which is good. White Led is not bad but it is more blue of course.

What comes with GMK??

Certainly not the topre rgb board.

I've never seen a backlit shine through compatible GMK set.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline dante

« Reply #260 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 07:47:20 »
(goshdangimsaltytoday)
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 October 2017, 07:49:11 by dante »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #261 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 09:01:11 »

I had also Emailed the CEO of Topre and they responded. Japanese tend to be humble and not inflated like some Americans. So they told me it is over 95% made at there factory in japan. When I had said it was Chinese I was going off of incorrect information and I apologize for that.

typo..  you may be ignoring the fact that the Topre-Ceo (or any topre representative) can not answer in any other way.

There is only one strain of acceptable answers.

It's like asking someone if it is ok to beat their wife, or was it worth it beating their wife after he's already gone n' done it..  Of course the answer is always NO or something along the lines of NO..

Ask any guy, how many females has he got digits to, he'd say 300

Guy Asks his girl-friend, how many guys before him , typical answer = 2-3, reality probably 5+

Offline LouisHjelmslev

• This is all so complicated
« Reply #262 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 10:48:27 »

typo..  you may be ignoring the fact that the Topre-Ceo (or any topre representative) can not answer in any other way.

It's like asking someone if it is ok to beat their wife, or was it worth it beating their wife after he's already gone n' done it..  Of course the answer is always NO or something along the lines of NO..

Guy Asks his girl-friend, how many guys before him , typical answer = 2-3, reality probably 5+

Dude, I'm not going to take relationship advice from someone who posts with larger than standard font size on a keyboard forum...

Offline Riverman

« Reply #263 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 10:52:55 »
Typo, have you looked at Topre's distributor page here?

http://www.topre.co.jp/en/products/elec/keyboards/shoplist.html

Tiger Imports, which is Mechanical Keyboard's actual business name, is listed there as a US distributor.  If they were selling grey market items and screwing over Seasonic and Elite Keyboards, then why would Topre list them as an official US distributor?

Offline zslane

« Reply #264 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 12:16:13 »
I just do not think that is very polite. to undermine something someone worked hard to design.

A very noble position to take.

However, nobody need worry that a distributor (like MK) is undermining Topre when they sell under an MSRP. Topre sold the product stock to the distributor at a healthy profit, and what the distributor does with it after that has no effect on Topre's bottom line. It could conceivably have an impact on Topre's relationship with other distributors, but that's up to Topre to police, not us the consumer base.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #265 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 16:12:17 »

Dude, I'm not going to take relationship advice from someone who posts with larger than standard font size on a keyboard forum...

LouisHjelmslev = Wife Beater

/Confirmed

Offline typo

« Reply #266 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 17:22:17 »
TP, I am really glad you think beating your wife is not okay. Which it is not in fact. I am glad you do take very serious issues seriously.

zslane, to be honest I am just miffed I paid $269. So there you go. They are honestly not authorized but you are right save the money who cares.

spamray, see topre told me they are GNK too. With the point TP just made I guess I can gather how honest they are about the origin of their products. It is in fact correct that my GMK set on here he light only shines under them. Which I like better anyways. I sure hope their SMD does not have the solder issues of 3mm Led's. Since they are not even in the US. I will be furious I paid full price if Led's cut out. After warranty my Grandson is the service Guy. If you think about it there realy is no warranty either. Going to send it to Japan? Unless they have US service I do not know of. Their switches hardly ever quit but throw Led's in the mix......time will tell.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #267 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 17:33:30 »
zslane, to be honest I am just miffed I paid $269. So there you go. They are honestly not authorized but you are right save the money who cares.
How can you say they're not authorized when they're listed in the distributor list on Topre's website???

Offline typo

« Reply #268 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 04:35:57 »
Maybe not authorized to sell it that low. I don't know. Seasonic just replied "They are not an authorized dealer". Who knows. It is odd that everyone has the same price but they are much lower. I am not sure but I think Topre is price locked. Like Apple for instance. Anyways I said already why I was bummed about it. If they are really not allowed to that is a different story. I do not know what is with the RGB but Topre and Seasonic do not seem to know much about it. Which leads me back to my original hunch it is made in China. I have no proof other than TP will agree it probably is. I am not spreading rumors though. I do not know what is true regarding it at this point. I would not say it is built cheaper than the 104UB just a different set of issues. Like the case shifts too but not in the same place. Honestly I think we are all suckers.

Now if you don't ming folks, how about a mini poll?
I thought I would put a Deck/TG3 Skull and Crossbones key on the Escape of the Topre. I was not sure because it is a different construction than my GMK set on this. Plus it will be the only translucent key then. I did not if that would look cool or bunk? I do not partake in 3D keys since They suck to actually press. I have some but would not use them. I have a GMK Smiley face if that is better.

Offline dante

« Reply #269 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 07:58:14 »
I don't know.

This is the most sense you've made on this topic.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #270 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 08:07:00 »
Maybe it is time to close this thread...and start a new one if you want to talk about the RGB Realforce and that you paid too much and which vendor is a legit reseller..

But to me it is obvious..

They're on their website, they are...who knows why their price is different..who cares...

Offline typo

« Reply #271 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 06:26:30 »
I admit when I am wrong. I received misinformation. Topre has allowed any authorized dealer to temporarily sell the RGB for $199USD if they so elect. In an effort to increase sales. Dealers selling it $199 are not making as much profit per unit. They are still welcome to sell it up to $269. As is the case with Elite keyboards. I do not see this as fair but it is completely legit. I just mean one might be bummed to buy it for $269 and then see it for $199 is the only reason. Of course they could just suck it up too. How long this "sale" lasts they will not tell. I am fine as I got mine when they were all $269 for much less as I know a large VAR.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #272 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 10:03:35 »
I admit when I am wrong. I received misinformation. Topre has allowed any authorized dealer to temporarily sell the RGB for $199USD if they so elect. In an effort to increase sales. Dealers selling it $199 are not making as much profit per unit. They are still welcome to sell it up to $269. As is the case with Elite keyboards. I do not see this as fair but it is completely legit. I just mean one might be bummed to buy it for $269 and then see it for $199 is the only reason. Of course they could just suck it up too. How long this "sale" lasts they will not tell. I am fine as I got mine when they were all $269 for much less as I know a large VAR.

I bought 2x 50 inch tvs for ~$200 each ..

So.. yea.. That topre, NOT a good deal..

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #273 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 16:01:57 »

How is it not fair that they would allow people to put the item on sale if they choose? Thats just silly extremely extremely silly! How dare companies have sale to help move product are bring in customers. Sucks when you pay full price then there sale but.. Thats the risk of business since beginning of time.

Offline TheFresko

« Reply #274 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 00:41:00 »
I've yet to try a real Topre board yet, but I did buy a Plum87 after owning a Logitech g710 (My first mech). I put a 55g dome sheet on it and lubed the switches. I really liked it, and Ive read plenty of comments from those who've owned both Topre and clones, saying that they dont even compare. But I finally made my first custom with lubed Cherry Vintage Blacks, and I cant see myself going back now. It was a great board, but Im in love with my current setup. I wouldnt mind getting one for collection purposes at some point, but Id have to come into some money for that to happen, as I cant justify the price tag for something I know wont be my daily driver.

Offline typo

« Reply #275 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 03:22:53 »
No, you misunderstood me. I meant it is an elective sale. It is on sale some places and not others. So it is not like you just go get the best price anywhere. It is not the same as buyers remorse after the fact in my view. I feel they should just require everyone to sell it for the same price whatever that may be. this is only because Topre is price controlled. The way they implemented this "sale" is what seems silly to me. It is not like Trivago. that is looking for backdoor discounts. This was always the same price anywhere. Then they go say dealers can choose anything between $199 and $269. It is obviously legal I am sure, I just found it disappointing. I mean as an ideology of sorts. It departs from their long time standing in an unusual way. I am in no way upset. I am just saying it does not sound like a "fair" practice from a highly reputable company. Perhaps I just have some different views than others. It is different than a single dealer discounting a non price controlled product. I guess I just found this scheme odd coming from Topre. The real truth is they are not selling well and they are trying to ramp up sales. Still being fair to dealers because they make less per unit the lower the price.  I get their idea but it seems poorly implemented. There must have been a better answer to this situation. I do not know what it might be. As I said, I had got one when it was $269 everywhere for much less so I am not complaining. anyways Lubed, O-rings and GMG considering what I make for my labor this board is let's just say more than $269. So I am in no way disappointed. not at all. I guess I would say not that I find it unfair but an odd solution to weak sales by Topre. I do not even know why sales are weak. It is a great keyboard. I prefer it to the 104ub in 55g uniform. The keypress is actually heavier than the 55g.

TP, that is where you and I differ. Sure you can snag cheap TV's. Compared to a $16,000 60" TV, well there is no comparison. It is night and day.

However, being frugal as a lifestyle is commendable. Not being engrossed by consumption. In that regard, as usual I share your views even though I do not practice them.

I am okay financially and even if I buy some good stuff my family will still get what they need upon my demise. Do I need these things? Absolutely not! I have been encompassed by consumption. I admit it. So in that regard TP, regardless of your finances you are a better person than I. It is difficult to maintain such a philosophy in Established countries today. To resist the urge is exceptional. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #276 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 04:03:54 »

TP, that is where you and I differ. Sure you can snag cheap TV's. Compared to a $16,000 60" TV, well there is no comparison. It is night and day.

However, being frugal as a lifestyle is commendable. Not being engrossed by consumption. In that regard, as usual I share your views even though I do not practice them.

I am okay financially and even if I buy some good stuff my family will still get what they need upon my demise. Do I need these things? Absolutely not! I have been encompassed by consumption. I admit it. So in that regard TP, regardless of your finances you are a better person than I. It is difficult to maintain such a philosophy in Established countries today. To resist the urge is exceptional. 

I admit they're Different,  but the difference in price is exponential.  while the improvement in user experience is not.

At some point when the difference in performance had been MUCH larger, back in earlier 2000s when plasma first came out,  yea $16,000 made sense.

But it's not that large a gap today for TVs.

I'm not arguing the merit of CHOICE with you,  only that the technical differences between tvs today is not large enough to justify the gap.

JUST AS, a topre is NOT worth $200 while the Clones are $50 retail, $10 to produce.

Offline zslane

« Reply #277 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 10:53:03 »
$250 is nothing for a decent keyboard. A drop in the bucket. I can scrounge that much from the loose change in my couch. A Realforce board that only costs loose couch change is a bargain!  :cool:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #278 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 14:44:17 »
$250 is nothing for a decent keyboard. A drop in the bucket. I can scrounge that much from the loose change in my couch. A Realforce board that only costs loose couch change is a bargain!  :cool:

You've been around too long and have succumbed to Keyboard Hysteria..

For perspective::

Last week I  just bought a 2x 50 inch 4k tv, for $190 each..

-- You might say, well Tp, that must be a ****ty tv,  NO ACTUALLY, it's pretty god damn awesome..
-- 16ms latency , accepts 4:4:4, 4k 60hz.. 120hz pwm backlight. Decent motion clarity.

At $250 for a topre, pcb, some silicone rubber, and a cheap off the shelf controller chip..

You tell me,  what kind of a rip-off is that in terms of Value..

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #279 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 15:16:29 »
Just embrace it.

Offline typo

« Reply #281 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 01:31:40 »
I agree tp. You make good sense. A kind of cheap TV that is really good is Vizio. It is true, the improvement does not scale to the price. Better, yes but not that much better. Although if you want it for whatever reason you have no choice. It is BS ripoff capitalism. All made in China for nothing. You are smart what you do tp. It does not matter if you are Bezo's wasting your money is stupid.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #282 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 17:44:08 »
I'm not arguing the merit of CHOICE with you,  only that the technical differences between tvs today is not large enough to justify the gap.

JUST AS, a topre is NOT worth $200 while the Clones are $50 retail, $10 to produce.

To you...Value is not objective so your attempt to make it so is useless..

It isn't that I don't agree with your assessment of value from my own personal standpoint...as in, Cheaper TVs are better value, Topre Clones are better value...but that doesn't mean you wouldn't spend more because you want that slightly better experience..

Here's an example..

I have both Topre and Clones...why?  Because I wanted a topre like experience but I didn't want to have to worry about it so I have it at work....if it gets lost, stolen, broken *shrug*, but I still want Topre at home..

Offline zslane

« Reply #283 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 17:51:43 »
I use the Topre Realforce RGB. I also have a Noppoo EC108Pro. The quality difference is so vast that as far as I'm concerned, the Noppoo doesn't even exist (I won't use it). That leaves the Realforce RGB as the only choice for full-size Topre boards with MX compatibility. When there is only one legitimate choice in the marketplace, then relative value has no meaning, and the only metric of "value" is how badly you want the product.

Offline typo

« Reply #284 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 23:14:30 »
Prior Topre marketing material to Japanese press had billed the RGB as their current flagship board. Furthering that future boards will follow it's frame format and borrow or expand upon it's technology. Mine sounded and felt like my 104UB. I lubed and o-ringed it with GMK's. So now obviously it is different. It is a nice board but I understand it would not appeal to many people here. Heck, I am here and it appeals to me. I think it should be pretty obvious I am strange, even for a big nerd :)

Oh of course "value" has no bearing if but one choice. If you want it, no choice. Regardless I feel the RGB is easily worth $350. So just the opposite of what you think. If I sold mine as it is with my labor I want $850. It is not for sale though.  I cannot prove it is made in Japan but regardless, even stock it is great IMO.
Of course in some market with many choices it is up to one what matters to them. Simply buying the cheapest is rarely the best value. Like judge what product is cheaper per pound while overlooking the ingredients.
I enjoy a good bargain but certainly not junk. It may have variable pricing. I found it "unfair" but I am not even one to speak. I paid less than that when it was a mandatory $269. Like yesterday BH had a high end display for $3,200. Today it is back to $3,900. It is not even black Friday. If one is going to be upset a price changed they might as well just not shop. Especially online. It may sound like I am calling myself out. Well I guess,yeah.  The truth is if I am buying this stuff I am not poor and honestly it does not matter. I am sorry I made a big deal about it. If you want something specific, When you want it you pay what it costs there and then. If some website has it cheaper you did not do your homework. Unless they are not legit but Mech boards is in fact. Just took topre up on their offer, That's all. This is not a big deal. It boils down to people can do whatever they want with their money so long as it is legal I suppose. Value is most certainly "perceived" and absolutely not objective. Remember people paid $5,000 for a Beanie Baby and now it is worth $5? Perfect example. They choose. That is the beauty of a free society. We are consumers and driving the market ourselves. So be it. I am good with that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #285 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 23:31:48 »

It boils down to people can do whatever they want with their money so long as it is legal I suppose. Value is most certainly "perceived" and absolutely not objective. Remember people paid $5,000 for a Beanie Baby and now it is worth $5? Perfect example. They choose. That is the beauty of a free society. We are consumers and driving the market ourselves. So be it. I am good with that.

People also choose drugs or to not pay child support or commit crime

Choosing to overpay balances out from the 2 player perspective, one loses, one gains,   but that is not necessarily the optimal layout when society has to be taken into account.

I eat less animals, you eat more animals.. between the two of us it balances.

But this earth is rapidly being depleted of ALL life, due to the prevailing standard western food choices.

Everyone will DIE..

It is a choice,  is it so beautiful ?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #286 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 02:53:20 »
OP—just wondering: Are you still trying to like Topre? Or have you given up and started trying to like some other kinds of keebs? On the surface, there wouldn't seem to be many reasons to be that concerned about a total stranger's typing experience... But hey, what else are we doing, right?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JohanAR

« Reply #287 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 05:06:23 »
I've only tried Topre once, it was a HHKB Pro 2 Type-S and I gotta say it was pretty likeable.

Offline typo

« Reply #288 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 22:23:03 »
UH I eat NO animals my entire life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My entire diet is raw veggies and fruit. I am older. I was a raw Vegan before the word existed. Putting things in a commercial Hobart juicer. I fully agree choosing to overpay sucks. I did not do that friggen intestinally. The price is fixed. They offered a 4 month discount I was unaware of and my dealer did not care. It is not a huge deal. I paid $30 more or something if I remember. I just saw this forgot about it.