Author Topic: Booper Makes Keycaps! - HAM  (Read 159085 times)

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
Re: My adventures in keycap making! - updates
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:09:45 »
What do you think about drilling the sprues in the second half of  the mold instead of gluing poles onto the keycap? I'm having trouble getting the poles to stand :(

I dunno! I've never tried anything but the vertical sprues. I thought about doing them on the side because it seemed easier, but my reasoning was:

1) air bubbles want to go up so making them turn and go out of a hole on the side seemed like it might cause bubbles to trap.

2) I didn't want sprue marks in a noticeable area. Putting them on the bottom makes them fairly easy to clean up and I don't have to worry about a blemish on the side of the cap.

3) messy! with the holes on top, the excess resin will usually pool up on top and I don't have to worry as much about getting it all over the place.

Yea, it's a pain in the ass to get them to stay upright! A lot of patience and a tiiiiny bit of super glue do the trick though.

Awesome guide, helps a lot. And the keycaps are awesome love the colors.

I'm a complete newbie were it comes to cast resing, I would like to know which ones you think are best and will they accept any pigment ( like mixing some watercolor paint with the 2 part resin for example. Sorry if it sound stupid, I really have no clue how resin works   :-X )

I haven't used many different brands of resin so I'm not sure! I use pigment drops made for resin coloring though. I have tried to use a few other things like fountain pen ink (ha)  but got varying results. I haven't tried watercolors... but I would not recommend putting water in with your resin at all if you are doing it that way. You don't want ANY water in your resin.

omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:17:06 »
What do you think about drilling the sprues in the second half of  the mold instead of gluing poles onto the keycap? I'm having trouble getting the poles to stand :(

I dunno! I've never tried anything but the vertical sprues. I thought about doing them on the side because it seemed easier, but my reasoning was:

1) air bubbles want to go up so making them turn and go out of a hole on the side seemed like it might cause bubbles to trap.

2) I didn't want sprue marks in a noticeable area. Putting them on the bottom makes them fairly easy to clean up and I don't have to worry about a blemish on the side of the cap.

3) messy! with the holes on top, the excess resin will usually pool up on top and I don't have to worry as much about getting it all over the place.

Yea, it's a pain in the ass to get them to stay upright! A lot of patience and a tiiiiny bit of super glue do the trick though.

Awesome guide, helps a lot. And the keycaps are awesome love the colors.

I'm a complete newbie were it comes to cast resing, I would like to know which ones you think are best and will they accept any pigment ( like mixing some watercolor paint with the 2 part resin for example. Sorry if it sound stupid, I really have no clue how resin works   :-X )

I haven't used many different brands of resin so I'm not sure! I use pigment drops made for resin coloring though. I have tried to use a few other things like fountain pen ink (ha)  but got varying results. I haven't tried watercolors... but I would not recommend putting water in with your resin at all if you are doing it that way. You don't want ANY water in your resin.

Thanks.

Just to add to what you noted about water, most water-soluble materials will cause your resin to turn into a bubbly mess.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:20:47 »
little update..

I know I said was having a sale in two weeks like... a month ago? ha. Oops.

I ordered some little stickers to go with the sale over 4 weeks ago and they still haven't shipped so I'm kinda just waiting on that. Expected turn around time was supposed to be two weeks and I sent my order in early just in case! Grrrr! buuut so it goes. Hopefully I'll get them in soon and then I'll be ready to go! I've thought about just doing the sale and saying "screw it!" on the stickers.. but I've waited this long so I might as well hold out.

In other news..I got my wisdom teeth out about 3 weeks ago. Everyone said it wouldn't be a big deal, but recovery has been hell. Allergic to medication + dry socket + random pain and swelling. I'll spare you all the details but I'm starting to feel much better. I've been so unproductive lately :(  wisdom teeth removal is the worst. 0/10. would not recommend.

Anyway, I'll update when I have an ETA on the stickers. Thanks for bearing with me! :D

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:04:33 »
little update..

I ordered some little stickers to go with the sale over 4 weeks ago and they still haven't shipped so I'm kinda just waiting on that. Expected turn around time was supposed to be two weeks and I sent my order in early just in case! Grrrr! buuut so it goes. Hopefully I'll get them in soon and then I'll be ready to go! I've thought about just doing the sale and saying "screw it!" on the stickers.. but I've waited this long so I might as well hold out.

In other news..I got my wisdom teeth out about 3 weeks ago. Everyone said it wouldn't be a big deal, but recovery has been hell. Allergic to medication + dry socket + random pain and swelling. I'll spare you all the details but I'm starting to feel much better. I've been so unproductive lately :(  wisdom teeth removal is the worst. 0/10. would not recommend.

Anyway, I'll update when I have an ETA on the stickers. Thanks for bearing with me! :D

Dang, sorry to hear about all the troubles and pain you went through with your teeth, pretty much a worst case scenario.  Glad you are feeling better though and am looking forward to your sale.  I love your art and hope I have the chance to support it. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:56:22 »
Sorry that the ice cream didn't fix your teeth, you'd best look after the rest as sounds like you'll have problems if you loose them later on.  At least it's over for now though :)

Had a week off checking for a sale and at least two back on it, but still no sign - now I know why!  Can we at least have another teaser pic of what's available to drool over while we wait or is it going to be a surprise?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:59:58 »
I'm more than willing to wait for stickers.

Stickers are almost more important than keycaps.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 04:10:29 »
little update..

Damn, that recovery does not sound fun.  Buuutttttt...stickers!  Super pumped about your sale and glad to see you're feeling much better now.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 15:10:52 »
little update..

This happened to me too when I was in high school...that's when I found out I was allergic to Demerol/Codeine derivatives.  What should have been ~1 day recovery was ~2 weeks.  Sheesh.  I'm with you - 0/10 recommend.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 08:20:25 »
Booper you an inspiration.  The quality you were able to achiev w/ plain old gravity castingin your early **** is astonishing.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 10:34:26 »

Good news everyone!

Stickers are shipping to me finally so I'll have a sale next weekend! I'll post more info about format and such when it's closer to time.

Also, thank you wonderful people for all the kind words through my wisdom teeth debacle. Your support means so much to me! I find myself sometimes reading this thread when I'm feeling down or whatever because it helps to know there are people out there who care and like what I do. <3

Booper you an inspiration.  The quality you were able to achiev w/ plain old gravity castingin your early **** is astonishing.

Haha, thank you! :-[  those early days were a lot of fun! It's so cool to see something go from clay to plastic like that!

Offline joey

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 10:37:46 »
So now booper is back to smiling:  ;D ?

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 10:45:30 »
So now booper is back to smiling:  ;D ?

;D ;D ;D

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 11:28:15 »
Hoooray!!!! Glad you're feeling better Booper and that things are moving along! I'm so excited to try and win my very first booper cap!

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 11:30:01 »
Sorry that the ice cream didn't fix your teeth, you'd best look after the rest as sounds like you'll have problems if you loose them later on.  At least it's over for now though :)

Had a week off checking for a sale and at least two back on it, but still no sign - now I know why!  Can we at least have another teaser pic of what's available to drool over while we wait or is it going to be a surprise?

lol, now I just have an ice cream addiction! I'm trying to ween myself off of it by transitioning to yogurt.

As for more colors,  I'm going to wait until sale time to show what all is available. I kind of like the fun of it!

I will say though that I will have 1 surprise keycap that will be free to a random winner. Anyone who enters the sale will get a chance to win it. ha. actually, I'll just go take a picture of it....

Ok. I was experimenting with different methods of doing colors with casting and one thing led to another until I made what I call Bowie monkey. He's aluminum with 3 color and styled from the Aladdin Sane cover. If anyone who enters the sale isn't interested in him, there will be an option to elect out of the drawing.  :thumb:

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 12:02:00 »

lol, now I just have an ice cream addiction! I'm trying to ween myself off of it by transitioning to yogurt.

As for more colors,  I'm going to wait until sale time to show what all is available. I kind of like the fun of it!

I will say though that I will have 1 surprise keycap that will be free to a random winner. Anyone who enters the sale will get a chance to win it. ha. actually, I'll just go take a picture of it....

Ok. I was experimenting with different methods of doing colors with casting and one thing led to another until I made what I call Bowie monkey. He's aluminum with 3 color and styled from the Aladdin Sane cover. If anyone who enters the sale isn't interested in him, there will be an option to elect out of the drawing.  :thumb:

Show Image

Wow love it! :p

Can't wait to see all the great caps available :D

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 12:03:54 »
Ice cream >> yogurt :p

That Bowie MonKey is amazing, his "make-up" is even shiny!  Looking forward to seeing what else you've made, extended teasing is fine if the final reveal is worth the wait and this definitely will be.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline joey

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 12:24:58 »
Is bowie monkey painted?

Also, will this sale contain blanks? (Like you showed a few pages ago)

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 12:33:03 »
Is bowie monkey painted?

yes and no? I paint a layer into the mold and then pour on top of that. So the result is similar to dyesub probably... where the color isn't a thick solid chunk of plastic, but rather pigment that seeps up into the resin. It's not painted after the fact so it is embedded in the surface of the cap and doesn't scratch or peel off.

Also, no blanks yet. I needed to make some adjustments so that it would sit a hair lower down on the stem  :( 

Offline joey

« Reply #168 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 12:37:28 »
Is bowie monkey painted?

yes and no? I paint a layer into the mold and then pour on top of that. So the result is similar to dyesub probably... where the color isn't a thick solid chunk of plastic, but rather pigment that seeps up into the resin. It's not painted after the fact so it is embedded in the surface of the cap and doesn't scratch or peel off.

Also, no blanks yet. I needed to make some adjustments so that it would sit a hair lower down on the stem  :(
Ah, thanks for the explanation!

Shame, the blanks look amazing!

Offline unoab

« Reply #169 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 12:55:13 »

Show Image

Awesome, now where is the Gene Simmons monkey, well or set of four KISS monkeys?  :p  And looking forward to the sale, this just makes it even more necessary to remember it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 13:12:24 »
Haha, Bowie monkey is awesome.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 17:01:24 »
Bowie monkey is 2legit2quit.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 21:54:10 »
Bowie monkey is awesome. .. 10/10 would click

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 21:58:31 »
Really
This GON b not so Gud

ayylmao 
I went ahead and bought one off the classifieds, it's close enough and comes with a full raindrop set (nngh), very excited.

Really excited for this
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #174 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 04:55:29 »

Good idea! And love me some Bowie.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #175 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 12:14:51 »
Wow, this thread has officially piqued my interest in making some artisans, these are really damn amazing! I've made a separate making stuff together thread, and I plan to document my whole process as well, because yours has been really helpful!
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
time for my first sale!
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:42:36 »
Wooo hooo!! I FINALLY got these damn stickers in the mail SO I'm ready to have a sale.

Sale will be this Saturday at 6:00pm

Countdown timer here

*The sale will be via google form - I will provide a link to the form when it's closer to time.

*The form will be up for 1 hour. At the end of the hour, all entries will be fed to RNG and winners will be sent an invoice.

*Everyone who wins also gets a sticker for freeeee!

That is all!

----

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
Re: My adventures in keycap making! - booper's first sale 10/17
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:44:58 »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now I have plans for 6:00PM Satuday night. Sorry family, we have to stay in.. atleast til 6:15

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:46:42 »

How is this a problem? I too suffer from an addiction to ice cream.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:47:04 »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now I have plans for 6:00PM Satuday night. Sorry family, we have to stay in.. atleast til 6:15

LoL... yea, maybe not the best time for Americans who have a social life, but it's the best time I could do where everyone world wide could make it without having to be present at a ridiculous hour! Also... smartphones! :D

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:48:05 »

How is this a problem? I too suffer from an addiction to ice cream.

Hahaha... it's a problem in that it's a top contributor to my squishy physique  :eek:

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #181 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:49:35 »

LoL... yea, maybe not the best time for Americans who have a social life, but it's the best time I could do where everyone world wide could make it without having to be present at a ridiculous hour! Also... smartphones! :D

Oh---- hey you know I'm not complaining! And I'm way too into this to be on a smartphone. My monkey trader was apprehensive, so still trying to get my first monkey and astronaught. Hey Boop, how many can we buy? I'd like to win 1 of each but I understand limiting everyone to 1 cap. I'm gonna say my prayer to RNGesus all day Saturday. Think I should fast, too? Yeah. I'll fast.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #182 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:53:32 »

Oh---- hey you know I'm not complaining! And I'm way too into this to be on a smartphone. My monkey trader was apprehensive, so still trying to get my first monkey and astronaught. Hey Boop, how many can we buy? I'd like to win 1 of each but I understand limiting everyone to 1 cap. I'm gonna say my prayer to RNGesus all day Saturday. Think I should fast, too? Yeah. I'll fast.

I'm going to let people win up to 3 caps! But if a name is drawn and a person wants 3 caps, they will get 1 cap on the first draw and the name will be put back into the RNG pool. So to win 3, you'd have to be drawn 3 times.  :thumb:

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #183 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:53:43 »
Booper I need a sticker!
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:55:17 »
Hey Booper! How much are you planning to sell your magnificent caps?

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:55:35 »

I'm going to let people win up to 3 caps! But if a name is drawn and a person wants 3 caps, they will get 1 cap on the first draw and the name will be put back into the RNG pool. So to win 3, you'd have to be drawn 3 times.  :thumb:

So you're saying I have pray 3 times more than I was planning on.. Got it.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:57:38 »
This is exciting, and those caps look beautiful!

Nice work Booper!

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #187 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:59:36 »
Super excited for this! I'm setting a reminder on my phone!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:07:27 »
Hey Booper! How much are you planning to sell your magnificent caps?

$24 + shipping

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
Re: time for my first sale!
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:12:35 »
Wooo hooo!! I FINALLY got these damn stickers in the mail SO I'm ready to have a sale.

Sale will be this Saturday at 6:00pm

Countdown timer here

*The sale will be via google form - I will provide a link to the form when it's closer to time.

*The form will be up for 1 hour. At the end of the hour, all entries will be fed to RNG and winners will be sent an invoice.

*Everyone who wins also gets a sticker for freeeee!

That is all!

----

Show Image

Caps AND stickers?

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #190 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:25:45 »
Not gonna forget- that's certain

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Re: time for my first sale!
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:27:00 »
so excited about this! I hope your first sale goes well!  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:27:39 »
Are you sure those aren't Pogs?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:28:47 »
so excited about this! I hope your first sale goes well!  :thumb:

XD Thank you!

Hahaha, they made me think of Pogs as well!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:30:27 »

Hahaha, they made me think of Pogs as well!

Okay... one more... hang with me here...

Are you sure that purple "!" package isn't the most brilliant rubber packaging you've ever seen?

Offline Invaderevan

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:30:44 »
MUCH EXCITE

WTTF Ribbits, Ashen V2 MX, Bronins

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:35:40 »
But seriously I'm in for this. Booper is an artist with obviously many talents. G'luck to you all, but I will be winning the dope keys, packaging, and (of course) stickers.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #197 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:38:20 »
Hey Booper, wanna say congrats on your first sale of your amazing caps.  People are gonna eat these up!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 15:12:11 »
Wow sick, can't wait to see all the caps! :D

Is the sticker transparent like the logo on the purple bag or does it have a white outline?

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 15:40:53 »
But seriously I'm in for this. Booper is an artist with obviously many talents. G'luck to you all, but I will be winning the dope keys, packaging, and (of course) stickers.

Hey Booper, wanna say congrats on your first sale of your amazing caps.  People are gonna eat these up!

:-* thank you guys!! <3 <3

Wow sick, can't wait to see all the caps! :D

Is the sticker transparent like the logo on the purple bag or does it have a white outline?

Yea! Stickers are transparent. That is actually just a purple bag with a sticker on it in the picture!