Author Topic: Building my first keyboard "Phantom"  (Read 3620 times)

Offline kgolden

Building my first keyboard "Phantom"
« on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 09:07:39 »
This will be my build log... hopefully this is the right place, if not, my apologies.

Where to start... well my first mechanical keyboard was/is a CM Storm TKL. After using it for a while I decided I wanted to build my own but never got around to doing it because of other projects and hobbies. So now I have a little free time so here we go. I am very green when it comes to keyboards so please bare with me.

Funny story... I may have goofed up the first PCB and ordered a second one.. haha. As things come together I'll post updates.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 February 2018, 09:09:52 by kgolden »

Offline kgolden

Re: Building my first keyboard "Phantom"
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 09:11:45 »
Vortex thick pbt compared to my CM Storm key caps

Offline kgolden

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 16:22:43 »
188501-0Teensy soldered on

188503-1Tested, good to go
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 February 2018, 16:24:56 by kgolden »

Offline joey

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 16:25:28 »
Looking good so far. Good luck putting the rest together.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 16:27:38 »
188509-0stainless plate cut down
188511-1beginning assembly
188513-2 Cherry stabs
188515-3 just need a case or build one
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 February 2018, 16:30:31 by kgolden »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 17:17:42 »
Looks good!

Is that your first PCB or the new one? Can’t you put it in your CM Storm case?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 17:47:23 »
Since I just finished my Phantom TKL a few days ago, let me offer a few thoughts.  Building the board was pretty straightforward.  Almost all of the problems I had to solve were related to case fit and the USB cable.

How close down on the PCB did you manage to get your Teensy?  I only put a piece of rubber electrical tape between for insulation.  Later I wished I'd used thinner vinyl electrical tape.  My case really had no clearance to spare in that area!

A Filco case positions the indicator LEDs 8mm up above the PCB, and normally you would have a plastic standoff to fill that gap.  I tried to improvise one from cardboard, but that didn't work at all.  Later I got some SIP sockets and soldered them into the LED positions.  That allows me to change out the LEDs easily at any time, and they are tall enough that I can get away without any standoffs.

I'm not sure what case you plan on using, but just because the Phantom is designed to fit in a Filco case and a case may be designed to accept a Filco board, it doesn't mean they'll fit together—without a lot of grinding, anyhow.  My first choice of an Iqunix Lambo TKL case would have required more modding than I wanted to get into.  I ended up using a TEX TKL case.  It doesn't really provide any mounting support for the PCB, though.  My original plan was to improvise some support around the edges of the case using Sugru, but then I realized I had a sheet of ⅛" thick Sorbothane® in the closet, so I cut a piece to fill the bottom of the case.  It was a very tight fit, but it supports the PCB, and everything is so snug in the case that nothing can shift at all.  (I really thought I'd have to do at least a little grinding where the Teeny's USB connector sits, but when I tightened the screws down everything somehow went together.)

The standard Filco USB has a funky not-USB connector on the end, where my Teensy needed a USB Mini connector.  I discarded that cable and got a nice, braided USB Mini cable.  It should be possible to rig some kind of adapter from the Teensy to the case opening and have a detachable cable, but I was too lazy.  I ground down the connector housing with a rasp until it was flush with the Teensy (and would fit into my case) and then glued the cable permanently into the case and filled the opening with Sugru, and I think it'll be OK.

Also, this was my only experience working with Costar type stabilizers.  They can be sweet when they are lubed and adjusted right, but they can be cranky too.  I had to shave down some of the inserts to get them moving freely in their slots.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 19:57:25 »
Looks good!

Is that your first PCB or the new one? Can’t you put it in your CM Storm case?

This is my new PCB.. actually typing on it currently. The first PCB will be worked on early next week. I thought about using the CM storm case but I'd rather keep that keyboard in one piece and I want to do something custom.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 20:09:35 »
Since I just finished my Phantom TKL a few days ago, let me offer a few thoughts.  Building the board was pretty straightforward.  Almost all of the problems I had to solve were related to case fit and the USB cable.

How close down on the PCB did you manage to get your Teensy?  I only put a piece of rubber electrical tape between for insulation.  Later I wished I'd used thinner vinyl electrical tape.  My case really had no clearance to spare in that area!

A Filco case positions the indicator LEDs 8mm up above the PCB, and normally you would have a plastic standoff to fill that gap.  I tried to improvise one from cardboard, but that didn't work at all.  Later I got some SIP sockets and soldered them into the LED positions.  That allows me to change out the LEDs easily at any time, and they are tall enough that I can get away without any standoffs.

I'm not sure what case you plan on using, but just because the Phantom is designed to fit in a Filco case and a case may be designed to accept a Filco board, it doesn't mean they'll fit together—without a lot of grinding, anyhow.  My first choice of an Iqunix Lambo TKL case would have required more modding than I wanted to get into.  I ended up using a TEX TKL case.  It doesn't really provide any mounting support for the PCB, though.  My original plan was to improvise some support around the edges of the case using Sugru, but then I realized I had a sheet of ⅛" thick Sorbothane® in the closet, so I cut a piece to fill the bottom of the case.  It was a very tight fit, but it supports the PCB, and everything is so snug in the case that nothing can shift at all.  (I really thought I'd have to do at least a little grinding where the Teeny's USB connector sits, but when I tightened the screws down everything somehow went together.)

The standard Filco USB has a funky not-USB connector on the end, where my Teensy needed a USB Mini connector.  I discarded that cable and got a nice, braided USB Mini cable.  It should be possible to rig some kind of adapter from the Teensy to the case opening and have a detachable cable, but I was too lazy.  I ground down the connector housing with a rasp until it was flush with the Teensy (and would fit into my case) and then glued the cable permanently into the case and filled the opening with Sugru, and I think it'll be OK.

Also, this was my only experience working with Costar type stabilizers.  They can be sweet when they are lubed and adjusted right, but they can be cranky too.  I had to shave down some of the inserts to get them moving freely in their slots.

Yeah, my teensy doesn't sit super low to the PCB which may cause an issue if I put it in a regular case. But like I said I'd rather something custom. As far as LEDs go, I didn't use any. I wanted something plain and simple. Speaking of stabilizers.. My cherry stabs on the spacebar, backspace and enter don't return to full height sometimes so I need to work that out. I also need to sleeve the usb cable, I have some nice MDPC-X black sleeving that needs to be used.   

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 20:13:10 »
Sweeet :)
Everyone should build at least one Phantom.

Those TEX aluminum cases are available at mechanicalkeyboards.com if you're looking for one.
I put shelf liner between my PCB and the case which improved feel and acoustics a lot.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 20:35:29 »

Those TEX aluminum cases are available at mechanicalkeyboards.com if you're looking for one.
I put shelf liner between my PCB and the case which improved feel and acoustics a lot.

I agree, these Phantoms are pretty fun. I really like those TEX cases. I may end up just buying one. My only other issue is I keep eyeing those GH60 PCBs... lol

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 22:18:29 »

I agree, these Phantoms are pretty fun. I really like those TEX cases. I may end up just buying one. My only other issue is I keep eyeing those GH60 PCBs... lol

I totally recommend building a 60% keyboard to compliment your Phantom :)

Offline kgolden

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 08:20:36 »

I totally recommend building a 60% keyboard to compliment your Phantom :)

Haha.. Oh I'm definitely going to build one. I love projects like these.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 13:27:35 »
And usb cable sleeved in black MDPC-X..

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 15:09:59 »
Have you decided on a case/color?

Offline kgolden

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 15:00:20 »
Not yet. but one thing I found out is the Phantom does not fit into the cm storm case without modding the base.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 13:32:40 »
Decided to just mod the cm storm case and dropped the Phantom into it.