Author Topic: Recommend me a trackball!  (Read 20032 times)

Offline suntorywhisky

• IG
Recommend me a trackball!
« on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 07:50:58 »
I've been using a Logitech M570 as my first trackball. I'm trying to decide if I should move on to a finger trackball instead of a thumb trackball.

One thing I don't like about the M570 is it's a little difficult to be precise with my thumb. Would a finger trackball correct this?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Recommend me a trackball!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 08:18:59 »
There are four kinds of trackballs: thumb-operated, ambidextrous fingertip-operated, right-handed fingertip-operated, and "other" (there are many tiny embedded trackballs and some handheld ones, but they're generally hard to get or very poorly implemented). Each of them is quite a bit different. In fact, the only thing they have in common is the stationary ball.

Thumb-operated trackballs have the benefit of familiarity (shape and button layout similar to mice). They're all but one right-handed, and vary in size/slope; Logitech (TrackMan Wheel series), Microsoft (Trackball Optical), Elecom (XT1-XT3, XT4 is left-handed), Perixx (517/717), Sanwa… All but one (which is rare and extremely expensive) are consumer grade and have varying quality problems; old Logitech or Microsoft trackballs would be better, but those have outdated sensors. There's also a potential problem with using thumb—it might hurt the knuckles and what not.

Asymmetrical fingertip-operated trackballs—arguably the best ergonomic option—have been mostly long discontinued; this includes Microsoft Trackball Explorer, Logitech Marble FX (or Cordless TrackMan [FX]), Kensington TurboRing and a few others. There's only one in the market, actually, Elecom DT2 (or DT1), but it's too small for many people, and the execution is far from perfect.

This leaves us with ambidextrous trackballs: either basic smaller models (Kensington Orbit series, Logitech Marble series), or large ones (either consumer grade, such as Kensington SlimBlade and Expert series, or industrial, such as CH Products DT225 or CST trackballs). The obvious benefit is that they can be used left-handed, but you have to figure out how to use them and your posture overall. It's usually also helpful to play with sensitivity and acceleration curves, in part because the sensors tend to be outdated.

Search here (and at Deskthority) or check out /r/Trackballs (including the wiki) for reviews.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 08:22:58 »
One thing I don't like about the M570 is it's a little difficult to be precise with my thumb. Would a finger trackball correct this?

I also find that I'm not very accurate or precise with a thumb trackball. I'm much more comfortable and accurate with a finger tip trackball.
REΛLFORCE

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 09:41:18 »
I've been very, very happy with my Kensington Orbit w/ Scroll Wheel so far. No problems with positioning (I'm more accurate with it than with the mouse I used to use before it), and the scroll  ring is so much more comfortable than the scroll wheel on most mice!

Offline suntorywhisky

• IG
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 07:30:39 »

I also find that I'm not very accurate or precise with a thumb trackball. I'm much more comfortable and accurate with a finger tip trackball.

What trackball are you using?

Offline suntorywhisky

• IG
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 07:31:51 »
I've been very, very happy with my Kensington Orbit w/ Scroll Wheel so far. No problems with positioning (I'm more accurate with it than with the mouse I used to use before it), and the scroll  ring is so much more comfortable than the scroll wheel on most mice!

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check that out. It's the accuracy that's driving me a little insane with my M570.

Offline suntorywhisky

• IG
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 07:32:45 »
There are four kinds of trackballs: thumb-operated, ambidextrous fingertip-operated, right-handed fingertip-operated, and "other" (there are many tiny embedded trackballs and some handheld ones, but they're generally hard to get or very poorly implemented). Each of them is quite a bit different. In fact, the only thing they have in common is the stationary ball.

Thumb-operated trackballs have the benefit of familiarity (shape and button layout similar to mice). They're all but one right-handed, and vary in size/slope; Logitech (TrackMan Wheel series), Microsoft (Trackball Optical), Elecom (XT1-XT3, XT4 is left-handed), Perixx (517/717), Sanwa… All but one (which is rare and extremely expensive) are consumer grade and have varying quality problems; old Logitech or Microsoft trackballs would be better, but those have outdated sensors. There's also a potential problem with using thumb—it might hurt the knuckles and what not.

Asymmetrical fingertip-operated trackballs—arguably the best ergonomic option—have been mostly long discontinued; this includes Microsoft Trackball Explorer, Logitech Marble FX (or Cordless TrackMan [FX]), Kensington TurboRing and a few others. There's only one in the market, actually, Elecom DT2 (or DT1), but it's too small for many people, and the execution is far from perfect.

This leaves us with ambidextrous trackballs: either basic smaller models (Kensington Orbit series, Logitech Marble series), or large ones (either consumer grade, such as Kensington SlimBlade and Expert series, or industrial, such as CH Products DT225 or CST trackballs). The obvious benefit is that they can be used left-handed, but you have to figure out how to use them and your posture overall. It's usually also helpful to play with sensitivity and acceleration curves, in part because the sensors tend to be outdated.

Search here (and at Deskthority) or check out /r/Trackballs (including the wiki) for reviews.

I appreciate the very long and detailed response. I'll definitely use this to expand my search for the perfect trackball for me!

Offline xine007

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 18:49:28 »

So I just got the Kensington Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring and it's my first trackball mouse.  Is there a proper way to use it?  I have my pinky on the right click and thumb on the left click. I have small hands. I'm finding it hard to highlight text and sometimes I move the trackball when I only mean to click. Do I need to adjust sensitivity or reposition or just get used to it?

I really like the scroll ring too.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 21:53:37 »

What trackball are you using?

Sorry, I haven't been back here to see your question. I move between a Kensington Expert Mouse, a DT225, and an Itac Mouse-Trak. I also have an Itac Hand-Trak that I play with but I'm still getting used to it. I think I've just spent so many years with ball trackballs I can't get used to anything else. Of the ones I use  I'd recommend the Kensington for most people since the others don't have a scroll "wheel". Most folks just can't live without it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 April 2017, 12:02:41 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline Justins7

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 10:53:11 »
I just bought a Kensington SlimBlade, after having used the same Kensington TurboMouse since I bought it in 1997. I bought the SlimBlade because I really need a scroll wheel as well as the use of the right-button (the TurboMouse is unfortunately only useable for its trackball and single-click).

The SlimBlade ball and scrolling are great. It's super smooth and works well. HOWEVER, the buttons are a joke — thin and slippery and sticky at the same time. It's like they took tupperware plastic, cut a hole and split it — these are the buttons. Also, the software no longer really works well in Mac OS X (and has become really laggy); I may return it.

So now I am looking into the CST trackballs... 

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 10:56:36 »
So now I am looking into the CST trackballs...

I have a CST trackball, pretty nice but I just couldn't get into using trackballs in general. I found that I would force myself to use it. But it did feel ****ing nice when I was using it.

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 10:58:50 »

I literally just bought one yesterday (should be here tomorrow) so i'm glad to hear it. I didn't know if I should get that one or just put in a little extra money and get the expert. This will be my first trackball so we'll see
Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline drakche

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 11:00:22 »
Kensington Orbit Scroll user here.

I used to use an old Microsoft trackball some 17ish years ago. And when I found out there are modern trackballs I instantly grabbed one.

I decided on Orbit scroll since I like the downward facing ball and I can say I find it really comfortable to use. And on par with it, I use a trackpad and mouse at home and trackball at ward w/o problems. I got used to it in about haf an hour use and I find it really comfortable to work with.

Offline flashquark

• Flashquark.com | Mech Key Depot
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:12:23 »

So I just got the Kensington Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring and it's my first trackball mouse.  Is there a proper way to use it?  I have my pinky on the right click and thumb on the left click. I have small hands. I'm finding it hard to highlight text and sometimes I move the trackball when I only mean to click. Do I need to adjust sensitivity or reposition or just get used to it?

I kind of had the same problem whenI first got my Orbit. It helps if you consciously lift up your fingers off the trackball when clicking and also kind of roll your hand towards the button you wish to click (so either rolling left or right) over time you will start doing this automatically without thinking.
https://flashquark.com | Keyboards, Keycaps, Switches, and other MK accessories.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 07:10:08 »
The SlimBlade ball and scrolling are great. It's super smooth and works well. HOWEVER, the buttons are a joke — thin and slippery and sticky at the same time. It's like they took tupperware plastic, cut a hole and split it — these are the buttons.
I disagree on the buttons. If you clean them regularly (once a week) with a bit of disinfectant, they are not slippery nor sticky.
I do agree on the tupperware comparison, though. I was also skeptical of the feel but they work great so /shrug.
I don't understand why some people say that their click only registers if they press very very close to the trackball. Mine click just fine. As long as I hear the click, its corresponding function is registered.
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 09:54:49 »
I disagree on the buttons. If you clean them regularly (once a week) with a bit of disinfectant, they are not slippery nor sticky.
That's exactly the problem. It shouldn't be necessary to clean them nearly as often. There's an argument to be made about hygiene, but I don't think cleaning _everything_ every week is justifiable.

I don't understand why some people say that their click only registers if they press very very close to the trackball. Mine click just fine. As long as I hear the click, its corresponding function is registered.
Then you probably don't understand how levers work. The upper shell works as a lever, and the buttons are obviously easier to press around 3 and 9 o'clock positions respectively

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 11:58:45 »
That's exactly the problem. It shouldn't be necessary to clean them nearly as often. There's an argument to be made about hygiene, but I don't think cleaning _everything_ every week is justifiable.
Then you probably don't understand how levers work. The upper shell works as a lever, and the buttons are obviously easier to press around 3 and 9 o'clock positions respectively
I admit I may be a bit of a clean freak with my tech. Wiping my desktop's screen, cleaning my mouse, my trackball, checking my keycaps for smudges. I've always done it. I used to open up my old ball mouse and clean the ball regularly too. I like to keep my tech in order and I think that good tech keeps up longer and better with a bit of good, regular maintenance.
And it is also about hygiene I guess. My hands are fairly sweaty and while shiny, smooth plastic doesn't bother me, shiny and oily plastic does.
So, yeah, should have mentioned all this.

As for how levers work, you're right. Tech, maths and physics were very interesting in high school but I majored in literature.
I may read up extensively for some DIY modding to make sure I don't screw up too badly, but that's about it. I'd read that the Slimblade's buttons didn't click if you didn't press very close to the trackball and I was glad to find out that my model doesn't have this issue.
If there's something wrong or dumb with this concept I admit I'm ignorant on the subject and that this is just my experience.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 12:36:53 »
 Kensington Expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tactile

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 08:35:54 »
Well, suntorywhisky, did you choose a trackball?
REΛLFORCE

Offline suntorywhisky

• IG
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 10:46:27 »
Well, suntorywhisky, did you choose a trackball?

Going to give the Kensington Expert a try

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 13:28:58 »
Gotta DIY...  Make super precision trackball out of cueball + logitech 3366 mouse

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 13:32:01 »
Hhhhrrrrmm.. although if i really think about it.. diy might not be ideal.. due to the fact that the lens is not designed to focus a curved surface.. DAMN IT..

OKOKOK..  What if you pull out a normal logitech trackball.. remove THAT lens...  figure out the distance between the sensor and lens.. THen attach that lens to the 3366 sensor..  THEN build the mouse around that..

Yea.. that make sense..   but this transmutation requires 3x items..  much higher difficulty with the lens distance

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 13:34:42 »
GDI..  I just remembered,, that lens is probably calibrated to a specific ball size..

Which means you can't just use a larger ball..

OK, so the new plan is.. Merely SWAP the pcb from the regular logitech trackball with the pcb from a newer 3366 mouse.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 06:53:02 »
just flip your ****ing mouse upsidedown and roll the ball around to move the cursor...... oh wait mice dont have balls any more..... well howabout...
More

Offline flashquark

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 12:07:48 »
Do you have acceleration turned on in your OS settings? If its on and you turn it off, it may help with the precision issue. I use a M570 everyday as well and I even use it for Photoshop without any issues.
https://flashquark.com | Keyboards, Keycaps, Switches, and other MK accessories.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 22:49:15 »
Do you have acceleration turned on in your OS settings? If its on and you turn it off, it may help with the precision issue. I use a M570 everyday as well and I even use it for Photoshop without any issues.

acceleration is a huge problem everywhere.

Offline xine007

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 20:54:03 »

I kind of had the same problem whenI first got my Orbit. It helps if you consciously lift up your fingers off the trackball when clicking and also kind of roll your hand towards the button you wish to click (so either rolling left or right) over time you will start doing this automatically without thinking.

Yup I do this now. Definitely took some time to get used to. Haha now I get bothered by the scroll wheels on my other mice because I'm so used to the scroll ring.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 02:44:49 »
Yup I do this now. Definitely took some time to get used to. Haha now I get bothered by the scroll wheels on my other mice because I'm so used to the scroll ring.
Put every mouse in a drawer and forget about them and get all trackballs!

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 19:01:00 »
I've used a M570 for work for at least 3 years, maybe 4. I remember early on having the issues you described with accuracy but I chalked it up to the learning curve of changing from a traditional mouse.

I guess what I'm saying is if you do swap to a new trackball be sure you're giving yourself time to learn it!

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 02:36:43 »
I guess what I'm saying is if you do swap to a new trackball be sure you're giving yourself time to learn it!

Agreed. Took me about a week to get the cursor to stop approximately where I needed it to stop..

Offline xine007

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 15:30:48 »
Put every mouse in a drawer and forget about them and get all trackballs!

This is a very tempting suggestion! I occasionally game so that's the only thing holding me back.

Offline suntorywhisky

• IG
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 21:10:31 »
I've used a M570 for work for at least 3 years, maybe 4. I remember early on having the issues you described with accuracy but I chalked it up to the learning curve of changing from a traditional mouse.

Agree with this. Been using the M570 at work for roughly 2.5 months and I've become so much more precise with it. I really enjoy it. It's been a great intro to trackballs. Thinking of moving on to a Kensington though.

Offline mrduul

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 04:19:58 »
I tried 10 trackballs 3 years ago. I narrowed it down to 1

Kensington Orbit Trackball Mouse with Scroll Ring (K72337US)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OOWB3O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 08:21:07 »
I have a Kensington orbit and expert mouse (wich is not a mouse lmao).
The orbit have a better rest position because he is less thick, he has a perfect scroll-ring too. But I miss the middle mouse key even if I can press the two button for the middle mouse key.

My Expert mouse is better because of one thing : The sphere size for a better accuracy.
But this trackball have two default :
 - The scroll ring is ****. Seriously you can’t imagine worst. I wonder if the new wireless version is better ?
 - The orientation and thickness are because of the big ball. I use a griffity pad under it. Without that he give me pain.

173196-0
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline flashquark

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 22:44:52 »
I tried 10 trackballs 3 years ago. I narrowed it down to 1

Kensington Orbit Trackball Mouse with Scroll Ring (K72337US)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OOWB3O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its a lovely trackball, but the only thing that gets to me is that when it gets a bit dirty the scroll ring gets scratchy. I know it can be opened and cleaned, which I have done many times, but itd be nice  if they thought of making a open path design underneath so that the dust and dirt can fall out from under the ring rather than collect there.

Offline pluplog

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 03:07:06 »
I have a Kensington orbit and expert mouse (wich is not a mouse lmao).
The orbit have a better rest position because he is less thick, he has a perfect scroll-ring too. But I miss the middle mouse key even if I can press the two button for the middle mouse key.

My Expert mouse is better because of one thing : The sphere size for a better accuracy.
But this trackball have two default :
 - The scroll ring is ****. Seriously you can’t imagine worst. I wonder if the new wireless version is better ?
 - The orientation and thickness are because of the big ball. I use a griffity pad under it. Without that he give me pain.

(Attachment Link)

Agreed on the scroll. I ditched the wrist thing that came with it for a small beanbag that I place on the desk as well.
Kinesis Advantage | Kinesis Advantage Pro | Maltron L89 | Filco Minila