Author Topic: [WTB] Bolt Modded IBM M Odell M keyboard  (Read 1452 times)

Offline bettablue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
[WTB] Bolt Modded IBM M Odell M keyboard
« on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 02:57:21 »
Howdy everyone, and Merry Christmas. 

I used to have a beautifulLy bolt modded IBM Model M keyboard, but because I had to send it in to Unicomp for repair of some internal electronics, they removed the bolt mod when they “fixed” it by removing the bolt mod.  Upon getting my keyboard back, I immediately checked to see if the bolt mod was still in place.  Needless to say, I was NOT pleased to find the plastic welds where there should be nuts and bolts.... There were absolutely no signs at all that my keyboard had ever been modified. 

So anyway, I am again looking for someone here who can give me a deal to obtain another bolt modded Model M with part no. 1391401 which has been properly bolt modded so I can get my modern bolt modded IBM Model M keyboard.

Can anyone here give me prices to replace my favorite bolt modded keyboard?  Since I am also a vintage computer user too, I have collected several IBM Model F/AT keyboards, as well as another IBM Model F/AT style keyboard, and even have a couple of IBM 5150 computers, as well as a somewhat basic IBM 5160 PC/AT I can offer in trade. 

That’s as much info as I have access to.  If anyone has another option for a trade, please contact me directly via private messaging. 

Thanks Again

Chiao

Thomas
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 December 2017, 12:30:01 by HoffmanMyster »
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: BOLT MODDED IBM M Odell M keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 09:03:12 »
Um... Well... This is interesting.

The bolt mod is first and foremost a restorative tool. Over time the model M's plastic rivets would break, causing improper tension in the plastic plate leading to poor and inconsistent performance. Because individual enthusiasts don't have access to the equipment to do plastic riveting of model M barrel plates, the bolt mod was invented as a substitute method to restore tension.

But Unicomp does have that equipment. So essentially what happened is the equivalent of taking a car into the shop where original chassis welds have broken and it's being held together with nuts and bolts. Of course the assumption is that you'd want it restored to like new condition with expert welding.

Anyway, the customer is always right, but I do find it interesting that a rare true restoration of a classic keyboard could cause such displeasure. I personally would enjoy the fully plastic riveted tension until another 30 years down the line when I might have to bolt mod again.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [WTB] Bolt Modded IBM M Odell M keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 12:30:33 »
Approved and made a slight modification to the title. 

OP, please include verification pictures of any keyboards you might have available for trade.