Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3478776 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #16500 on: Sat, 30 November 2019, 12:01:55 »
Hello,

When buying my first custom keyboard and switches(all second hand) i got a bag with unknown lube that the seller claimed they used on everything. Worked amazing for about a day and has since made my switches extremely scratchy. How do i get it off, its not water soluble and i have no idea what it is, it came in an unmarked ziplock bag :(

Oily lubricants should absorb into cloth or toilet paper.  Have you confirmed it's the lube by leaving some on a non-porous surface (like a food plate) for a day and seeing what happens?  Seems strange it would dry out that quickly...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16501 on: Sat, 30 November 2019, 19:20:19 »

Seems strange it would dry out that quickly.

If it is not drying out it may be attracting and sticking dust particles. Are all of them equally problematic?
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #16502 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 01:04:20 »

Seems strange it would dry out that quickly.

If it is not drying out it may be attracting and sticking dust particles. Are all of them equally problematic?

all of them are BAD but the ones with a bit more use like the alpha block are a little worse.
Hello,

When buying my first custom keyboard and switches(all second hand) i got a bag with unknown lube that the seller claimed they used on everything. Worked amazing for about a day and has since made my switches extremely scratchy. How do i get it off, its not water soluble and i have no idea what it is, it came in an unmarked ziplock bag :(

Oily lubricants should absorb into cloth or toilet paper.  Have you confirmed it's the lube by leaving some on a non-porous surface (like a food plate) for a day and seeing what happens?  Seems strange it would dry out that quickly...

from lubing to first use there were a couple days but its less dry and more just a sticky mess. its very thick and greasy. Im not sure what it could be besides the lube as gateron silenced browns shouldnt feel like this i am fairly sure.

I have started cleaning with a newly bought ultrasonic cleaner, works alright but its going to take a couple of days before i have this keyboard together again i feel... right now im using water with a bit of dishwashing soap added and it works alright, takes some minutes to get it off because its very sticky

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #16503 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 07:53:30 »
Does Corsair K70 Rapidfire have more sculpting on the keycaps than A-Data XPG Summoner?

https://www.pcmag.com/review/371886/adata-xpg-summoner
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gadget-reviews/corsair-k70-review/

I am finding it difficult to tell on the basis of the photos alone.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #16504 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 10:05:50 »
Does Corsair K70 Rapidfire have more sculpting on the keycaps than A-Data XPG Summoner?

https://www.pcmag.com/review/371886/adata-xpg-summoner
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gadget-reviews/corsair-k70-review/

I am finding it difficult to tell on the basis of the photos alone.

Both appear to be OEM profile. If that's the case they would be the same.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #16505 on: Sun, 15 December 2019, 15:46:35 »
Very simple question (hopefully): when you make a custom keyboard, would it be easy to get "mod + {ijkl}" to send the equivalent of the arrow keys code (without the computer ever knowing I hit "mod + {ijkl}"?  Here mod would be a modifier I wouldn't need the OS to see.  In other word when I'd hit this only this modifier, I wouldn't want anything to be send to the computer. I'd only want code send once I press this modifier plus a few select keys (including but no limited to ijkl).

Is this easily doable?
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16506 on: Sun, 15 December 2019, 16:53:56 »
Very simple question (hopefully): when you make a custom keyboard, would it be easy to get "mod + {ijkl}" to send the equivalent of the arrow keys code (without the computer ever knowing I hit "mod + {ijkl}"?  Here mod would be a modifier I wouldn't need the OS to see.  In other word when I'd hit this only this modifier, I wouldn't want anything to be send to the computer. I'd only want code send once I press this modifier plus a few select keys (including but no limited to ijkl).

Is this easily doable?

yeah any programmable keyboard does it this way
I love Elzy

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #16507 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 13:52:03 »
Tactical Coder,

It depends if you have a custom pcb or not. Usually you are able to program those with QMK so that you can change the key mappings. I don't know how normal factory manufactured keyboards work. Sorry.

Sincerely,
treeleaf64
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #16508 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 06:32:01 »
What's the difference between Corsair (1) Rapidfire, (2) Lux and (3) Strafe?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #16509 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 12:12:07 »
The manufacturer would have to use clear plastic for the lettering of doubleshots.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #16510 on: Tue, 24 December 2019, 05:36:33 »
What's the difference between Corsair (1) Rapidfire, (2) Lux and (3) Strafe?

I'm pretty sure they use the same controller, the only difference is the type of chassis and keycaps. Don't quote me tho

Offline magicrobots

• Magic Robots
« Reply #16511 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 19:42:57 »
Hello! I'm very new to this!

I've got two Silent Leopold FC660C keyboards, one black/black and one Blue/Tan and I'm exchanging a couple keycaps between them for fun. I seem to have caused a problem and would love some input:

I switched the space bars, decided I didn't like it, and switched them back. Now, however, the tan space bar makes an awful racket whenever I hit it at normal typing speed. I switched it from base to base and it's definitely the keycap itself, which seems super weird to me. I used two WASD wire pullers to extract the keys, and didn't seem to need a crazy amount of force to pull them off or anything.

I'm perplexed 'cause the space bar itself seems like a pretty solid piece of plastic, and I can't imagine where this sound could be coming from. It seems to be connecting properly to the two edge pieces and the switch itself in the center.

I could try to post some video if that would be helpful?

If anybody has some ideas for where I should start looking I would appreciate some help! Thanks in advance. Also if this is the wrong thread to post this in I apologize, I wasn't sure if this was a Simple Question or not!

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #16512 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 19:59:04 »
Hello! I'm very new to this!

I've got two Silent Leopold FC660C keyboards, one black/black and one Blue/Tan and I'm exchanging a couple keycaps between them for fun. I seem to have caused a problem and would love some input:

I switched the space bars, decided I didn't like it, and switched them back. Now, however, the tan space bar makes an awful racket whenever I hit it at normal typing speed. I switched it from base to base and it's definitely the keycap itself, which seems super weird to me. I used two WASD wire pullers to extract the keys, and didn't seem to need a crazy amount of force to pull them off or anything.

I'm perplexed 'cause the space bar itself seems like a pretty solid piece of plastic, and I can't imagine where this sound could be coming from. It seems to be connecting properly to the two edge pieces and the switch itself in the center.

I could try to post some video if that would be helpful?

If anybody has some ideas for where I should start looking I would appreciate some help! Thanks in advance. Also if this is the wrong thread to post this in I apologize, I wasn't sure if this was a Simple Question or not!

Every topre board I've ever owned had this issue after pulling my spacebars once or twice. Never found a way to get it to sound as good as it did when I got it. Always got super rattly, but I guess I don't know if that's the noise you mean. Post a soundcloud upload or something and let us hear it mane.

Offline gorauskas

« Reply #16513 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 15:33:37 »
Currently, as of late January 2020, what are the best options for a 60% PCB as far as availability is concerned? The DZ60 from KBDFans is readily available for shipping, but are there any other similar PCBs? 

Offline Torolava

• Im a nice guy i promise, i just cant spell:(
« Reply #16514 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 13:14:17 »
Anyone know where i can buy a gb spot for either the rama M65-A or The U80-A? any responds would be appreciated

Offline 5949

« Reply #16515 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 19:46:32 »
Hello, everyone

Straight to the point: I'm looking for a pre-built 96% mechanical keyboard with backlighting. Might you list possible options that you know of?
Edit: For now, assume money is no object. I want to see all the options

For the past few days, I've been looking for keyboards to replace mine. One with a numpad but without the width.
96% mechanical keyboards seem to fit my needs well, as well as some minor variations like Cherry 1800 clones.
I would love to build one of my own, but I don't really have the time to do so, mostly because my keyboard is dying (so I'm getting a new kb out out of necessity) :/
So far, I've found the following keyboards:
  • Leopold FC980M
  • Vortex Tab 90M
  • YMDK 96 Hotswap Kit (there's an assembly service)
  • Keychrom K4 (bad QC though)
  • IQUINIX F96-Knight
  • DROP SHIFT
All of these are really good contenders, and I'm looking to get either the IQUINIX, Leopold or the DROP SHIFT.
Though, the DROP is out of stock and pricey, IQUINIX basically the SHIFT in function and price but non-hotswappable, and the Leopold seems to be out of stock everywhere but Amazon (where it's unreasonably priced).

Anyone got suggestions I could add to the list of prebuilt 96% keyboards?
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 February 2020, 21:21:23 by 5949 »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #16516 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 15:16:13 »
Hello, everyone

Straight to the point: I'm looking for a pre-built 96% mechanical keyboard with backlighting. Might you list possible options that you know of?
Edit: For now, assume money is no object. I want to see all the options

For the past few days, I've been looking for keyboards to replace mine. One with a numpad but without the width.
96% mechanical keyboards seem to fit my needs well, as well as some minor variations like Cherry 1800 clones.
I would love to build one of my own, but I don't really have the time to do so, mostly because my keyboard is dying (so I'm getting a new kb out out of necessity) :/
So far, I've found the following keyboards:
  • Leopold FC980M
  • Vortex Tab 90M
  • YMDK 96 Hotswap Kit (there's an assembly service)
  • Keychrom K4 (bad QC though)
  • IQUINIX F96-Knight
  • DROP SHIFT
All of these are really good contenders, and I'm looking to get either the IQUINIX, Leopold or the DROP SHIFT.
Though, the DROP is out of stock and pricey, IQUINIX basically the SHIFT in function and price but non-hotswappable, and the Leopold seems to be out of stock everywhere but Amazon (where it's unreasonably priced).

Anyone got suggestions I could add to the list of prebuilt 96% keyboards?

I think this is past the realm of simple in terms of this thread personally, but with that said I recommend Leopold.

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #16517 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 18:54:38 »
96% keyboards?

Kira. Check kono store.

Also my question for all: why do spacebar kits sometimes come with an extra B key?
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #16518 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 23:56:41 »
96% keyboards?

Kira. Check kono store.

Also my question for all: why do spacebar kits sometimes come with an extra B key?

For ergo / split keyboards like Alice.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 February 2020, 23:58:17 by EMC Labs »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16519 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 11:09:43 »
What's the best way to remove hotswappable switches? I can just barely do some of them with my fingers but I didn't get a switch tool with my Massdrop Ctrl a couple years ago and am getting tired of the current switches.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Snapple

« Reply #16520 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 07:05:52 »
I am looking for a TKL keyboard where I will put Tealios v2 or Gateron Ink Black switches. Is it better a hotswap option (GMMK or Drop CTRL) or a build custom keayboard (I have no idea where to start)
Thank you!

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #16521 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 02:20:10 »
I am interested in a full-size board without f keys. Does such a kb exist?

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk

Offline PhoenixUNI

« Reply #16522 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 14:38:41 »
I am interested in a full-size board without f keys. Does such a kb exist?

The Vortex Vibe might be what you're looking for. https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3923

Offline PhoenixUNI

« Reply #16523 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 14:39:22 »
I'm having an issue attempting to program some keys on my Vortex Tab 90M. Things like moving the up arrow to Fn+I works ok.

However... by default, the Tab 90M has its media keys on FN+F1-F6. I want to move those to FN+Q/W/E/S/D/F, matching what the Pok3r does. I've yet to find a way to reprogram those. Is this possible, or is that baked into the firmware of the board?

Offline K

• stop trying to reset my password... use a VPN
« Reply #16524 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 15:15:57 »
How comparable are the BKE extreme domes to the box navies? I love the sharp tactility of the box navies and they do have similar bottom out forces. But I have been reading a lot of reviews saying that the weightings are irrelevant as they are completely different from normal switches. Would I be better served by the heavy domes? Thanks in advance

Offline Jeanmaire

« Reply #16525 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 17:06:00 »
Hello - Not sure where the correct location for this would be, but I have an old IBM model M keyboard...it's in perfect shape cosmetically. However, only the B V and Space Bar are not working.
I was able to get it all apart and was checking to see if all contacts were tight and clean etc. Since it's only letters B, V and space bar....I figured someone would know what's likely going on at a glance. Thank you.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 March 2020, 17:07:42 by Jeanmaire »

« Reply #16526 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 09:51:15 »
What are the keyboards with the lowest travel distance?

A search of this forum for "mechanical keyboard lowest travel distance" gives 0 results.

3mm total seems to be the lowest I've found thus far. My use is gaming accuracy: http://old.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/20v9b6/buyingmodhelp_looking_for_orings_in_the_us/
High-level, competitive CS 1.6 player.
My reviews: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ2riVNLJly0KG7Z8albMETEmbRB8bCzd

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16527 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 16:48:56 »
What are the keyboards with the lowest travel distance?

A search of this forum for "mechanical keyboard lowest travel distance" gives 0 results.

3mm total seems to be the lowest I've found thus far. My use is gaming accuracy: http://old.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/20v9b6/buyingmodhelp_looking_for_orings_in_the_us/

Are you looking for travel distance to actuate, or to bottom out?

For MX, check out the MX Speed series, with actuation 1.2mm, total 3.4mm. I don't have experience with these switches personally, but you may be able to combine them with O-rings, like you have with standard MX previously, to further reduce travel. There may be MX-compatible switches with similar characteristics (I believe Kailh has a speed series as well).

If you really just want the lowest possible travel, and are willing to move away from mechanical switches, look at scissor switches. Total travel is often <2mm, but actuation is at or near bottom-out.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

« Reply #16528 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 18:42:53 »
If you really just want the lowest possible travel, and are willing to move away from mechanical switches, look at scissor switches. Total travel is often <2mm, but actuation is at or near bottom-out.

Know of any scissor switch keyboards with NKRO? NKRO is the only reason I got a mech keyboard.
High-level, competitive CS 1.6 player.
My reviews: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ2riVNLJly0KG7Z8albMETEmbRB8bCzd

Offline 5949

« Reply #16529 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 22:29:16 »
Anyone know the materials used for the Everglide Coral Reds?

Durock uses POM for their linear stems (according do their Aliexpress storepage), but it isn't mentioned in the Everglide drop what the stems are made out of...

Offline mikehotel

« Reply #16530 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 09:33:13 »
Is the FC750 programmable?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16531 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 19:16:48 »
I love Elzy

Offline Breezy_Ocean

« Reply #16532 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 11:48:16 »
How exactly might I go about buying a kyuu? Maybe my eyes are bigger than my stomach per se, but I think that's the case I want for my first build.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #16533 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 11:51:57 »
How exactly might I go about buying a kyuu? Maybe my eyes are bigger than my stomach per se, but I think that's the case I want for my first build.

You will have to purchase it aftermarket.

Try /r/mechmarket.

Offline Breezy_Ocean

« Reply #16534 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 14:19:29 »
Also looking at the Klippe rev 4 that is currently up. Short on funds at the moment and most likely for the next month or 2. How long would that stay around before being totally bought up?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #16535 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 14:21:34 »
Also looking at the Klippe rev 4 that is currently up. Short on funds at the moment and most likely for the next month or 2. How long would that stay around before being totally bought up?

Says here that it's about 14 days. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105186.msg2881282#msg2881282

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #16536 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 14:50:41 »

Says here that it's about 14 days. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105186.msg2881282#msg2881282

1UP KBs will probably end up with some Klippes to sell after the GB if OP doesn't make it in that too.

Offline Venaros

« Reply #16537 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 13:36:37 »
What's the best way to remove hotswappable switches? I can just barely do some of them with my fingers but I didn't get a switch tool with my Massdrop Ctrl a couple years ago and am getting tired of the current switches.

With a switch puller lol

Offline Venaros

« Reply #16538 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 13:39:39 »
Anyone know the materials used for the Everglide Coral Reds?

Durock uses POM for their linear stems (according do their Aliexpress storepage), but it isn't mentioned in the Everglide drop what the stems are made out of...

Most likely POM stems with polycarbonate housings

Offline Venaros

« Reply #16539 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 13:48:12 »
How comparable are the BKE extreme domes to the box navies? I love the sharp tactility of the box navies and they do have similar bottom out forces. But I have been reading a lot of reviews saying that the weightings are irrelevant as they are completely different from normal switches. Would I be better served by the heavy domes? Thanks in advance

While I've never tried BKE domes, the extremes should feel heavier than the BOX Navies, since their tactile bump is much longer, leading to a higher gfmm, which measures the force needed to press a switch, while bottom out weight only measures how much force is needed to keep the switch at that point.

This segment (2:19-2:55) from one of Chyrosran22's videos explains it much better than I can:

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 April 2020, 13:53:51 by Venaros »

Offline aerogel

« Reply #16540 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 16:47:51 »
Can't find an answer.

What would be better and why? Plate or pcb mounted stabilizers? And why? And how do I know if I'm able to mount them on the pcb/plate?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #16541 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 17:00:49 »
Can't find an answer.

What would be better and why? Plate or pcb mounted stabilizers? And why? And how do I know if I'm able to mount them on the pcb/plate?

Check the cutouts on the plate. Most custom keyboard kits nowadays use PCB-mount.

Plate mount compatible plates look something like this

And they mount like this

This is how PCB-mount stabilizers are placed (from BELOW the plate, on the PCB; so you must install these BEFORE you put the plate above the PCB and then put in switches):

« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2020, 17:02:27 by LightningXI »

Offline Venaros

« Reply #16542 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 11:13:41 »
Can't find an answer.

You will only need to remove the corresponding switch to remove a plate mount stab, i.e you will only need to remove the spacebar switch to remove the spacebar stab, while you'll have to remove all the switches to remove PCB mount/screw-in stabs. Plate mount stabs can only be used with a plate, while PCB mount stabs can be used in either a plateless build or with a plate.

Offline fatcoffeebeans

« Reply #16543 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 17:23:01 »
is there website or place to buy GMK keycaps in stock?
Topre Realforce 45g 87u

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16544 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 00:24:37 »

highly depends on what set you want, most vendors stock limited extras.
I love Elzy

Offline fatcoffeebeans

« Reply #16545 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 09:46:51 »

highly depends on what set you want, most vendors stock limited extras.

gotcha, thanks for the info. no idea what set I would want yet
Topre Realforce 45g 87u

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #16546 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 08:50:21 »
is there a list somewhere keeps track and shows the difference of all new switches, and stabilizers?
I haven't follow keyboard stuff for couple years and there are all these new switches i have no idea about.

Offline XUR

« Reply #16547 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 11:52:49 »
I'm looking to buy some Krytox 205g0 lube but trying to find a vendor that stocks it and sells easily to the US.

Any thoughts on this from "Specialtylubricants" on eBay? They say they diluted the grease for switch use... sounds different??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KRYTOX-GPL-205-Grade-0-Switch-Grease-Lubricant-for-linear-switches-5-grams-205g0/184176539364?hash=item2ae1c6f6e4:g:XbwAAOSw5p5eco~Q

Offline fxm.eee

« Reply #16548 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 18:45:13 »
what the fuccc happened to imsto?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #16549 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 17:55:05 »
what the fuccc happened to imsto?
Gone forever