Author Topic: Weird Key Blocking and Key Spamming Issue with Model M  (Read 814 times)

Offline Kavik

Weird Key Blocking and Key Spamming Issue with Model M
« on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 21:04:33 »
Let me preface this by saying I suspect I borked something when bolt modding this a couple years ago.

1994 Lexmark Model M. It was new old stock when I received it, but many of the rivets were broken, so I did a "partial" bolt mod, thus I didn't tear the sandwich apart. I just drilled through the holes and left the good rivets intact. My brother originally experienced these issues a year or two ago, but I couldn't reproduce it until now.

Issue Description:

Keyboard is connected via coiled SDL to PS/2 cable with active USB to PS/2 converter (the blue cube):

1. When typing a series of adjacent keys in quick succession such as "asdf", the keyboard will always drop the third letter (in this case "d"). If I keep going faster and faster, it will eventually drop the second letter and then the fourth.

2. If I perform step one and then switch to the number row, typing "1234", the 1 or the 2 will eventually continually spam the text field after I let off the keys. Unplugging the cable from the keyboard has no effect. It keeps spamming until I disconnect the cable from the computer, i.e. just the converter and the cable themselves will keep spamming with no keyboard connected.

3. When I reconnect the keyboard and cable to the computer, it automatically types "Ctrl + F" to open the search bar and then spams the Enter key, causing a continual highlight and search of the page. If I hit Enter myself, it stops this.

4. When repeating these steps with the Orihalcon SDL to USB cable, issues 1 and 3 happen, but not 2.

5. When I connect the keyboard under normal circumstance (without reproducing the other issues first), it exits whatever text field I was in, requiring me to click back into it before typing.

Any ideas of what could be causing this? Should I just rip it apart and do a full bolt mod? My best guess is that I drilled through part of the membrane, which would surprise me since the sandwich was still aligned by the other rivets.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.