Author Topic: Royal Kludge RC930-87, 55g Non-Backlit  (Read 12228 times)

Offline Liar

Royal Kludge RC930-87, 55g Non-Backlit
« on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 19:51:28 »
I received my non-backlit 55g RC930-87 from JD.com today, and it feels (and sounds) amazing.

The stock keycaps, while POM, are not as slick as the POM keycaps that came on my Noppoo Choc Mini, and the font is appreciatively subdued on the non-backlit version.  I disliked how my fingers slid right off the Choc's keys, so the texture is a pleasant surprise for me. The sound the keys produce is much less mechanical than either MX keyboard I have used previously - less Soprano "CLACK" and more pleasingly-Baritone "WOMK."

The thickness is about the same as a Quarter, as this rudimentary comparison demonstrates:

I have only used MX Browns and Clears previously, so unfortunately I cannot compare it to Topre.  However,  between these three switches that I have tried, by far the most comfortable and pleasant to type on have been these 55g ECs.  The weights of the keys really do feel in between a Brown and a Clear (45g and 65g respectively), however it is hard to compare because of the differences in the way the keys depress.  Tactility is vaguely reminiscent of a rubber dome in feels, but I wouldn't want to make that direct comparison either.

One of the biggest draws for me to this keyboard was the lack of key chattering, which I had experienced on the Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Browns and a Varmillo VA87M with MX Clears.  Thankfully, not only is this a non-issue for EC keyboards, but I did not have to sacrifice the ability to use all these artisan keycaps I have had already purchased :)

In addition to Caps and Scroll Lock, the Esc key has an LED indicator as well.

The best part, and possibly most important for some, the RC930 was cheaper than either the Choc Mini or the Varmillo, shipping included.

My opinion is if you can do without the backlighting, the RC930 is a solidly built keyboard that provides an excellent typing experience, with MX-Compatible customizability - all at an affordable price.

Now, I eagerly await the Galaxy Class keycaps to complete this keyboard ;)

More Shots:

« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2015, 20:41:02 by Liar »

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
Re: Royal Kludge RC930-87, 55g Non-Backlit
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 20:10:07 »
so the non-backlit version actually has the LEDs anyway? interesting.  i wonder if there's a straightforward way to fire them up.

Offline Liar

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 20:35:56 »
so the non-backlit version actually has the LEDs anyway? interesting.  i wonder if there's a straightforward way to fire them up.

This LED is under the Esc key only, it appears to be some kind of indicator light related to the text on the front the of the key

The only other LEDs are under Caps and Scroll Lock, I edited OP so this is more clear

Pressing Fn+F9 makes these lights blink
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2015, 20:38:15 by Liar »

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 16:14:05 »
Regarding the keycaps: You say they are not as slick as the Choc Mini - to me this is disappointing.  Would you say they are sandy / gritty feeling?  I prefer caps as smooth as possible - which is why I fell in love with POM in the first place.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 March 2015, 16:23:56 by dante »

Offline Altis

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 00:18:50 »
Looks interesting.

Would you be able to take a typing video to demonstrate? :cool:
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Liar

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 16:53:53 »
I was out of town for the weekend, sorry for being unable to answer sooner

Regarding the keycaps: You say they are not as slick as the Choc Mini - to me this is disappointing.  Would you say they are sandy / gritty feeling?  I prefer caps as smooth as possible - which is why I fell in love with POM in the first place.

The keys are not noticeably textured such as the stock PBTs on the Varmillo, they are more tacky, similar to used ABS.  They feel smooth, but my fingertip catches as I push/pull it across the surface, which never happened to me while using my Choc Mini.  The modifier keys do have a very slight texture, which can be felt if I move my finger rapidly to and fro.

Looks interesting.

Would you be able to take a typing video to demonstrate? :cool:

Unfortunately, I do not have the equipment necessary to produce an adequate typing test video.  I wish I could record the awesome sound the keyboard makes - it reminds me of an electric typewriter I used to practice typing on when I was a wee lad  :D

Offline SolarFall

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 20:07:08 »
Would you mind putting a stack of nickles on some keys and weighing like especially the space bar on yours?
I'm looking at joining the drop on these and debating on going with the 55G. In reviews it's been said 45G felt lighter than 45G, i don't think i want that.
I think it's rather subjective, but i just weighed the keys on a Type Heaven to see what they read, and then tried my tried and true 10 year old rubber dome, and another unused rubber dome that i like the keys weight / feel on, and honestly they were higher than their listed spec. at least by +5g to 10G to Way higher on the Type Heaven space bar 80G to 85G.
So it seems weird that a new reviewed Kludge would feel lighter than what it's supposed to be. I think it's more likely that perception of what 45g is is subjective and probably all over the place.
Feel depending more on the construction, plate, mounting ect..
I'm thinking i should just go with 45G but if 55G is actually like 45 or 50G i would go with 55. My guess is they are + instead of minus though.
Well, Thanks if you can help.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2015, 20:10:30 by SolarFall »

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 14:32:12 »
i have the 45g and definitely feel like i'd be happier with stiffer keys.  browns are my preferred MX switch.  so my suggestion would be that if you're in doubt, try the 55g.  but i say that not having tried it myself.

Offline SolarFall

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 02:01:47 »
Welp i got in on the 55G rgb 104. I use 10 key all the time anyway. I'd be annoyed right away with it missing, even though the 87 key form factor is sweet looking. But I could do without the arrow keys and scroll lock ect too if i was going to go compact so it seems only like half compact. I would rather just have the num pad. This is literally the only keyboard in the world that fits a lot of my requirements, or that has a trade off i can deal with. Stoked. Took me a little over a month and two bought and returned boards to realize what i needed, and then basically stumbled upon the 930 by way of the ec108. Because i ignored the tiny pictures of it at a glance. Another led gamer mx, lol, didn't even know it was a capacitive board, and i had just got the Type Heaven anyway so i was mostly against leds.
But color control is a massive bonus. And the program ability.  I thinkt he font on the ABS is good enough, i don't hate it in fact i like that it's large and easy to read. It kinda looks cool with the leds off too.
If i decide not to use them i'll throw some black classics on it and can have the monolithic black slab look too... which is my usual preference.

RK site is back up. They've got some pretty nice offerings really. Nicest looking Mx board i've seen yet in the 928 love the case. I'd like to slap the 930 guts into it if it were feasible.  :p

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 08:15:09 »
I've noticed that Noppoo / RK both use some sketchy Internet providers.  Their sites are either down or are really slow.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 04:14:08 »
Couldn't resist getting another 55g Royal Kludge, currently selling on MassDrop ;D .

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 18:15:52 »
Couldn't resist getting another 55g Royal Kludge, currently selling on MassDrop ;D .

I'm very torn between this, and the QFR with MX Greens. Both are awesome...both have their own quirks. I love Topre and MX Greens...the obvious answer would be to buy both, but not able to do so. Good thing I have a couple of days to decide.

Offline dante

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 08:47:35 »
I got my RK RC930-87 POM 45g and 55g in.

I'm going to be listing them in the classifieds tonight.  The lack of number pad is killing my productivity and I don't want a separate number pad with different switches.

Soon as I get the funds I'm going to reorder RC930-104's..

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 10:13:57 »
I got my RK RC930-87 POM 45g and 55g in.

I'm going to be listing them in the classifieds tonight.  The lack of number pad is killing my productivity and I don't want a separate number pad with different switches.

Soon as I get the funds I'm going to reorder RC930-104's..

There seem to be a lot of these boards popping up in Classifeds, mostly the 45g version. Buyers remorse? Seems to be either "I don't like TKL like I thought I would" or "it just isn't the same".

Offline dante

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 10:35:48 »
The only buyers remorse I have is TKL remorse:  I miss using my right thumb to hit the enter key and for whatever reason I'm a big baby and it feels laborious not using a number pad for data entry. I knew after around 20 minutes that it wasn't going to work out.  I also suppose somehow in the back of my head I thought if I didn't like it that it would be easier to unload the TKL version.

Other than that they type like a dream.  Topre is coming out with some upgraded models (RGB, etc.) but unless the prices goes south I predict RK/Noppoo taking a bite out of their niche pie.

Offline TouchTypist

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 22:29:58 »
I'm tempted to jump on the mass drop bandwagon as well. Even though I just bought a cherry red leopold board that I'm waiting to ship in. I'm new to the game, so interested in trying most things; and there does seem to be a buzz around tore and topre-like switches. I'll have to think about it for a day or two I suppose

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 23:35:28 »
they really are nice keyboards.  i've been using mine pretty consistently at work since i got it and i love the sound.  on the other hand, then i get home to my cherry browns and i'm always like "this feels so good!" so... yeah i don't know.  worth a try at this price though i'd say.

Offline TouchTypist

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 06:05:53 »
Can I also just say how much I love reviews with onomatopoeia?  I'm not entirely sure why, but it makes me happy. Great job on the review, thanks for sharing!  :thumb:

Offline dante

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 07:04:25 »
I'm tempted to jump on the mass drop bandwagon as well. Even though I just bought a cherry red leopold board that I'm waiting to ship in. I'm new to the game, so interested in trying most things; and there does seem to be a buzz around tore and topre-like switches. I'll have to think about it for a day or two I suppose

I have a couple RK in the classifieds for much cheaper than MD. :)

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 22:36:11 »
I will say that compared to a real topre its around 75% of the feeling(i got the 55g rgb rk). Its not bad by any standards for like 25-50% off the price of a normal topre keyboard but the quality is lacking when you compare the two. TouchTypist i would say that if you MUST get a topre and you dont have the budget well dante is probably your most economic option, I will say that most likely a realforce will be easier to sell second hand though. JUst my two cents.
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline TouchTypist

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 06:24:28 »
Fair enough Minh278. I actually did go that route. Having limited experience with mechs, and zero with Topre, I feel like 75% is pretty good for that price. Once I've used it for a while I'll put up some kind of review. It may not be a formal one in the review section, but I'll share some comments at least  ;)

Offline dante

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 08:19:25 »
IMHO Royal Kludge is superior to Topre.

Here's why:

- The stabilizers on RK are superior to Topre.  They use standard wire stabilizers that already come (at least mine and someone elses on Rededit did) pregreased so they are very silent.  Every Topre I've tried - and I've tried them all - had metallic clunky noises in the stabilizer action.  The typical "fix" is to open up your $200 keyboard - voiding the warranty - and lubing them yourself.  Sorry, maybe I'm crazy but my line of thinking is if you are going to spend $200 on a keyboard proudly "Made in Japan" the least they could do is care a little.
- Programmable.
- The POM on RK is superior IMHO to Topre's PBT.
- You already know about adding Cherry MX compatibility
- The boards come predampened from the factory.  Some people try to remove the dampening to make it feel like Topre; I think they are crazy.  I like that it sounds unique and not as loud.
- You can buy a RK 104 55g (which is what I should have bought in the first place), want a RF 104 55g?  You're going to have to build one - because according to emails from EK they have no interest in making it.

Many people regurgitate "RK feels 75% of Topre" well you could also say "Topre feels 75% of RK."  Just like some people prefer Kailh Blue over Cherry MX Blue.  Sometimes a clone is an improvement - not a detriment.

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 12:00:03 »
IMHO Royal Kludge is superior to Topre.

Here's why:

- The stabilizers on RK are superior to Topre.  They use standard wire stabilizers that already come (at least mine and someone elses on Rededit did) pregreased so they are very silent.  Every Topre I've tried - and I've tried them all - had metallic clunky noises in the stabilizer action.  The typical "fix" is to open up your $200 keyboard - voiding the warranty - and lubing them yourself.  Sorry, maybe I'm crazy but my line of thinking is if you are going to spend $200 on a keyboard proudly "Made in Japan" the least they could do is care a little.
- Programmable.
- The POM on RK is superior IMHO to Topre's PBT.
- You already know about adding Cherry MX compatibility
- The boards come predampened from the factory.  Some people try to remove the dampening to make it feel like Topre; I think they are crazy.  I like that it sounds unique and not as loud.
- You can buy a RK 104 55g (which is what I should have bought in the first place), want a RF 104 55g?  You're going to have to build one - because according to emails from EK they have no interest in making it.

Many people regurgitate "RK feels 75% of Topre" well you could also say "Topre feels 75% of RK."  Just like some people prefer Kailh Blue over Cherry MX Blue.  Sometimes a clone is an improvement - not a detriment.

The RK does seem like a better fit for you, for those reasons. Though I do with the RF had wired stabilizers...

It wasn't until I got my Realforce I realized I really don't need the numpad. I'd argue keycap texture and the dampening varies per person; I'm very satisfied with my PBT caps and have no interest in dampening my board.

As always, ymmv.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 13:18:12 »
yeah the greased stabs are silent and awesome.

Offline jamster

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 10:06:22 »
Anyone know where to get the non-RGB versions now? The only sites that I've found to carry RK all do the RGBs.