Author Topic: Unicomp, Topre, or something else?  (Read 2019 times)

Offline grapefruit

Unicomp, Topre, or something else?
« on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 21:50:13 »
I've had a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with Cherry MX Blues for several years and kind of dislike it. I feel like a more inaccurate typist on it. I think it's because the keys have too much travel.

So I'm contemplating what keyboard to get next.

The keyboards I have liked in the past are:
-15-20 years ago, I believe I used an IBM buckling springs keyboard... I'm pretty sure. A model M or model F or something. I'm not sure. I didn't understand what I was using -- but I liked it. It was quite satisfying to type on.

-I actually like my 2016 Macbook Pro keyboard. I feel like I'm an accurate typist on it.

So I'm looking for something with the low-travel accuracy of the MBP keyboard but with the "satisfaction" of a good mechanical keyboard.

Would that be Unicomp? Or perhaps Topre? Typing accuracy & satisfaction are everything to me, and it'll be used on with a MBP if that matters...

Offline tris0908

Re: Unicomp, Topre, or something else?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 22:00:35 »
Kailh has recently released their low profile switches. Might want to give those a try.

https://www.prohavit.com/products/hv-kb390l-low-profile-mechanical-keyboard/
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2017, 22:02:08 by tris0908 »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 22:01:23 »
Buckling spring switches are not short travel. You might like a Unicomp better than blues but shorter travel won't be the reason. You probably know you can shorten the travel of your blue switches by adding o-rings. That does change the feel - some folks like it and some don't - but it's a cheap, easy, non-destructive mod to try and if you don't like it, it's easy to go back.
REΛLFORCE

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 23:08:34 »
The best and ultimate keyboard for me is my Thinkpad's keyboard :D

I can't believe you say that you like the 2016 keyboard. It is a terrible, terrible creation... The only one can like it is if you smash the keys...

By the way, have you tried a wrist rest, or changing your hand position? That might solve the height problem.

Offline grapefruit

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 23:28:31 »
Kailh has recently released their low profile switches. Might want to give those a try.

Interesting...! The price is right.
--
Buckling spring switches are not short travel. You might like a Unicomp better than blues but shorter travel won't be the reason.

Good point. Yes, the IBM was definitely not short-travel. But it still worked well for me -- perhaps it was something about the actuation point? Are those keys considered "linear" in Cherry MX terms, or what?
You probably know you can shorten the travel of your blue switches by adding o-rings.
I'd consider it but my keyboard seems to be failing anyhow. So I think I'll just replace it.
--
I can't believe you say that you like the 2016 keyboard. It is a terrible, terrible creation... The only one can like it is if you smash the keys...

You know, I got it in 2016, but it wasn't the newly-redesigned MBP. It was the previous edition, just to be clear.

By the way, have you tried a wrist rest, or changing your hand position? That might solve the height problem.

I feel like I've used other keyboards at similar positions without a problem... I'm using it as part of a desk with a keyboard drawer.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 01:19:22 »
Buckling spring switches are not short travel. You might like a Unicomp better than blues but shorter travel won't be the reason.

Good point. Yes, the IBM was definitely not short-travel. But it still worked well for me -- perhaps it was something about the actuation point? Are those keys considered "linear" in Cherry MX terms, or what?

Model M keyboards like the Unicomp are much more tactile than anything Cherry makes. The force curves are also quite different:
177581-0          177583-1
REΛLFORCE