Author Topic: Help suggest a keyboard for with these simple features  (Read 2864 times)

Offline meatheadmike

Help suggest a keyboard for with these simple features
« on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 23:07:23 »
A few days ago I broke my decade old Dynex keyboard which I bought for about $15, and am looking for a replacement... but have discovered that these days such a keyboard is apparently difficult to come by.

Basically I'm looking for a keyboard that has:

1. Normal sized keys (OEM profile) with standard layout (no weirdly shaped enter key, or tiny backspace  etc)
2. Dedicated buttons or knob for volume control (it can have other media controls but I only care about volume up and down)
3. Standard dual Windows Keys next to the two Alt Keys (no FN key on the right side replacing one of the Windows Keys)

4. (Optional) Backlighting. 

EDIT: Would like to keep the cost around $50 if possible

Seems reasonable right?   But apparently these things are too much to ask.  Most of the keyboards out there with media controls have a stupid FN key instead of the second windows key (which I use sometimes for shortcuts). Why you would put an FN key on a non-laptop keyboard, when you already have dedicated media keys, just to add additional functions that nobody uses  >:D

Also many of the newer keyboards seem to have non-OEM profile keys. I tried out the Cooler Master Devistator II which was reasonably priced and seemed to meet my criteria... but after using it, I noticed it felt weird because the keycaps are apparently slightly smaller than the standard key sizes found the keyboards we are all used to.... making me type less accurately. Why would they do that  :(

Anyway if anyone can suggest something it would be greatly appreciated. I've been going crazy the past few days searching and have found nothing.

Thanks

« Last Edit: Tue, 12 September 2017, 08:52:01 by meatheadmike »

Offline FloFoer94

Re: Help suggest a keyboard for with these simple features
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 00:16:38 »
A Das Keyboard 4 Professional would be a full sized, standard layout keyboard with dedicated media controls, a volume knob and two port usb hub. Cherry MX Switches http://www.daskeyboard.com/daskeyboard-4-professional/ 

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 00:18:09 »
Any preference on Switches? Telling us your budget would be helpful too! :))
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 September 2017, 00:39:22 by Duckyreddy »

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline meatheadmike

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 08:37:43 »
Any preference on Switches? Telling us your budget would be helpful too! :))

Would like to keep the cost at around $50 if possible (sorry should have mentioned in the OP).
No preferences on the switches, just that they don't feel too "squishy".

A Das Keyboard 4 Professional would be a full sized, standard layout keyboard with dedicated media controls, a volume knob and two port usb hub. Cherry MX Switches http://www.daskeyboard.com/daskeyboard-4-professional/

Looks like a cool keyboard but at $150 its a little steep. Do they make a lower end one for maybe around half that?

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 08:58:00 »
50 bucks is going to be the very lowest end of the pricing range for any mechanical keyboard, which makes being picky very difficult, but there's maybe some options.

Kaihua K16 $59
Full-size keyboard, Cherry MX Browns, white LED backlighting, standard key sizes, and I see that you can use Function+F9/F10/F11 to Mute/Vol Down/Vol Up. The Fn key is on the right side of the spacebar after alt and you still have your Winkey on the left side. You can get the same model with MX Reds orBlues and you can choose a model with either White or Blue LED backlight.

Ducky Zero $79
Ducky makes quality boards, this fullsize has MX Brown switches, no backlighting, but it has discrete keys on the top-right corner for Calculator, Mute, Vol Down, and Vol Up. It also comes in MX Red, Blue, Black.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 14:18:02 »
Ducky is a pretty reputable brand, the Ducky Zero and Ducky One lineup has that no-thrills look, simple and they feel good to type on.
As mentioned by mogo, $50 is a little limiting but that Ducky Zero sure is a good buy for $79, find out what you like first and we can try and narrow it down for you, I'm a bit of a Ducky fan boy and managed to convince the whole household to use Ducky Boards lol  :))

Good luck finding your dream board!  :thumb:

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline psiclone

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 14:26:41 »
The windows key requirement is easily dealt with using this:

AutoHotKey, remap right Alt to left Alt key and disable the right sub-menu key:

RAlt::LAlt
AppsKey::Return

and a keycap replacement for that key that has the Windows legend should keep it as you want it.

As far as keyboards go, how about this?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816083&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Gaming+Keyboard-_-N82E16823816083&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi97NBRD1ARIsAPXVWWDwKjGufcqp6sPdKDfnN-p25DAKnzNXchDDwJkaXKHU0T-KCRhWS_8aAvlOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The only thing you may run into with this keyboard is the non-standard bottom row.  Take a look at this:

http://blog.maxkeyboard.com/dwkb/keycap-compatibility-size-chart/

For what it's worth, I just ordered this:  https://www.pcgamingrace.com/collections/glorious-gaming-modular-cherry-gateron-kailh-mechanical-keyboards/products/glorious-modular-mechanical-pc-gaming-keyboard-full-size-barebone-104-key-gateron-cherry-kailh-switches

I got this one because it has no switches or keycaps, so I can customize it how I like.  It doesn't have dedicated media keys, so that's something you'll be having to use AutoHotkey for (which I did on my Corsair Strafe).  However, it does have a standard layout and backlighting and you can choose your own switches and keycaps (standard size) to your liking.

You might also consider this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823839022&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Gaming+Keyboard-_-N82E16823839022&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi97NBRD1ARIsAPXVWWAV4e9P2LVfC8Hsv_ZsHi_ELVwfM1RitHE9BByqMfqhtFMk3Ljx6_saAoQeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 September 2017, 15:01:52 by psiclone »

Offline meatheadmike

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:58:07 »
The windows key requirement is easily dealt with using this:

AutoHotKey, remap right Alt to left Alt key and disable the right sub-menu key:

RAlt::LAlt
AppsKey::Return

and a keycap replacement for that key that has the Windows legend should keep it as you want it.

As far as keyboards go, how about this?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816083&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Gaming+Keyboard-_-N82E16823816083&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi97NBRD1ARIsAPXVWWDwKjGufcqp6sPdKDfnN-p25DAKnzNXchDDwJkaXKHU0T-KCRhWS_8aAvlOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The only thing you may run into with this keyboard is the non-standard bottom row.  Take a look at this:

http://blog.maxkeyboard.com/dwkb/keycap-compatibility-size-chart/

For what it's worth, I just ordered this:  https://www.pcgamingrace.com/collections/glorious-gaming-modular-cherry-gateron-kailh-mechanical-keyboards/products/glorious-modular-mechanical-pc-gaming-keyboard-full-size-barebone-104-key-gateron-cherry-kailh-switches

I got this one because it has no switches or keycaps, so I can customize it how I like.  It doesn't have dedicated media keys, so that's something you'll be having to use AutoHotkey for (which I did on my Corsair Strafe).  However, it does have a standard layout and backlighting and you can choose your own switches and keycaps (standard size) to your liking.

You might also consider this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823839022&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Gaming+Keyboard-_-N82E16823839022&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi97NBRD1ARIsAPXVWWAV4e9P2LVfC8Hsv_ZsHi_ELVwfM1RitHE9BByqMfqhtFMk3Ljx6_saAoQeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Awesome tip with AutoHotkey! That will allow me to expand my search.
The size chart link helps a lot too

I appreciate all the suggestions from everyone.

Is there any way to tell if the keycaps that the boards come with are OEM profile or the smaller Cherry profile? It looks like the manufactures don't really put that info in the descriptions of their boards.

Offline mogo

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 22:50:55 »
It will almost always be OEM profile. Cherry profile is probably not going to be found on any low-cost board.

Offline psiclone

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 10:39:12 »
Is there any way to tell if the keycaps that the boards come with are OEM profile or the smaller Cherry profile? It looks like the manufactures don't really put that info in the descriptions of their boards.

You might have to ask the manufacturer or seller.  At least on Amazon, there is a section where you can ask questions.  Even if a manufacturer or seller doesn't get back to you, one of the previous buyers might.  This may also help:

http://i.imgur.com/kFxqOm8.jpg

Offline psiclone

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 10:45:22 »
Ducky is a pretty reputable brand, the Ducky Zero and Ducky One lineup has that no-thrills look, simple and they feel good to type on.
As mentioned by mogo, $50 is a little limiting but that Ducky Zero sure is a good buy for $79, find out what you like first and we can try and narrow it down for you, I'm a bit of a Ducky fan boy and managed to convince the whole household to use Ducky Boards lol  :))

I've never used a Ducky, but hearing some of the typing sound tests, they sound like they have a bit of a nice deep thud sound when you type.  Is this true?

Offline mogo

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 10:50:32 »
The acoustics of a board will be largely a product of the case's construction (like the body of an acoustic guitar), the type of switch, and the keycaps used. Ducky boards typically have very sturdy, rigid construction and snug-fitted ABS caps which, in my experience with two of them, has given a decent subtle thudding sound when typing.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 14:18:23 »

I've never used a Ducky, but hearing some of the typing sound tests, they sound like they have a bit of a nice deep thud sound when you type.  Is this true?

It is true, however as mogo said, the construction, switches or any other modifications can really change the acoustics.
Of three Ducky Ones we have, they all sound different. (different switches, caps, and dampening)
They sure are extremely solid!  :thumb:

The acoustics of a board will be largely a product of the case's construction (like the body of an acoustic guitar), the type of switch, and the keycaps used. Ducky boards typically have very sturdy, rigid construction and snug-fitted ABS caps which, in my experience with two of them, has given a decent subtle thudding sound when typing.

Leopold FC660M MX Blue