Author Topic: The Best Headset(s)  (Read 11325 times)

Offline Omnipotent

The Best Headset(s)
« on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 01:26:59 »
What are some of your favorite headsets? I have tried a few, but haven't truly found the ultimate headset.

Has anyone found a headset or two that they truly like? And if so, what are some Pro's and Con's about that headset?
AKA: /u/io2red on /r/mk
, Ducky YotM, Anne Pro, & Plum84 RGB (35g) | Waiting on: KBD75, & Keycaps.
Wanted:
More
Unknown :).

Offline slickmamba

Re: The Best Headset(s)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 01:32:10 »
What are some of your favorite headsets? I have tried a few, but haven't truly found the ultimate headset.

Has anyone found a headset or two that they truly like? And if so, what are some Pro's and Con's about that headset?

for gaming?

I use a modmic + my headphones
Hi :)

Offline Parak

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 03:48:36 »
Quality headphones + addon mic, almost all 'gaming' headsets are overpriced crap.

I'm currently using MDR-MA900 + AT2005USB on a mic arm. One can also do modmic, zalman mic, or whatever else.

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 16:01:52 »
Quality headphones + addon mic, almost all 'gaming' headsets are overpriced crap.

I'm currently using MDR-MA900 + AT2005USB on a mic arm. One can also do modmic, zalman mic, or whatever else.
I can definitely see why you would say that. And that opens up a lot more doors in terms of quality headsets. People love to throw the term "Gaming..." to products just to spike up the price. But there has got to be a few decent headset options out there. :P

Wanted:
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 17:11:30 »

There are a few decent options out there, but they tend to be over priced when compared to a headphone/mic setup of equal sound quality.  Of the big name gaming units, I see a ton of praise for the HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset - Black (KHX-H3CL/WR).  Still in the $80 range, but it seems to fit the bill for most people.

I can definitely see why you would say that. And that opens up a lot more doors in terms of quality headsets. People love to throw the term "Gaming..." to products just to spike up the price. But there has got to be a few decent headset options out there.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 09:40:12 »
I've been using the Sennheiser PC 360 for ~4 years and love them. Sound great and I've never had complaints about my mic quality from teammates. Unfortunately they're not made anymore, however there are updated versions of them
I liek keyboards

Offline coozney

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 00:23:08 »
I switched from cheap "gaming" headsets to a good pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD598SEs) and an external mic (Samson Meteor). I honestly like it way better. It's a bit more expensive obviously, but I recommend it if you can afford it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 October 2016, 17:46:47 by coozney »

KBP V60 Mini          Corsair K70 RGB

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 00:30:01 »
Anything by razor  :blank:

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 02:08:05 »
I chew through headsets, and the best I've found yet is Sennheiser. Doesn't hurt that they're an actual professional audio manufacturer.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 07:19:27 »
Unless you already own a nice set of headphones or need a closed pair of cans, I would probably stray away from a headset. What I often see recommended is the V‑moda BoomPro in conjunction with SHP-9500s or Fidelio X2s.

Those are 'open' for a bigger soundstage, not too hard to drive and don't lock you down to just gaming.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 07:45:36 »
I love Open-back with a nice DAC. Creates a huge sound stage and is a real join to listen to. I use my HD598 I got for $100CAD during prime days and Blue Yeti as a mic when gaming.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 20:45:14 »
My favorite are the Audio Technica ATH-ADG1. They are very comfortable and the sound stage is amazing. I like the mic on them, but im sure a ATH-700x with a modmic is just as good.

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 12:05:03 »
Well I think I've been convinced. When my headset starts crapping out I'm going to get a dedicated microphone and some quality headphones.  :thumb:
Wanted:
More

Offline catlover

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 15:56:38 »
I love Sennheiser because of their sound and build quality.
Usually I'm using it for rock songs like MCR  :p

Offline SnyperBunny

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 11:59:52 »
I quite like the Corsair Vengeance series of headsets, but then again I'm not an audiophile. I will say that their customer service was really good when I had problems with the first pair of headsets I had from them. The Vengeance 2000 model developed cracks in the plastic right by the pivot-joint attaching the ear-cup-thing to the head-band part and they replaced both my set and my husband's set even after a solid year and a half of daily use. The Vengeance 2100 model they replaced them with has been working without issues for at least 2 years for both of us now and I don't forsee any problems.

I'll also say: having a wireless headset-mic combo is REALLY nice if you talk over skype or other VoIP services. Its so nice to be able to grab water or a snack while still chatting.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 13:38:35 »
From the cheaper end of the hifi spectrum AKG's (newer) K240 are slightly decent. More bass than Grado's SR80's but not as comfortable imo. Durability wise they're ok, there are a few plastic parts that could potentially break if you drop them enough but the cable is detachable and should last a few years of pulling and dropping. PFU doesn't breath all that well and imo distorts the sounds a bit. Some new velvet or memory foam pads would help I think. I plan to migrate to Audio-Technica once the K240 coils disintegrate.

I mentioned a crackle in my audio some weeks ago and it wasn't from my headphones. I've tried a few different sets in multiple OS's and on a few different computers. Seems as though my PC's audio ports are causing some crackle :( The crackle is not coming from my K240's

Offline Alline Cliff

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 05:46:12 »
I'm using Beats and I can say that the sounds are just perfect!

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 21:18:18 »
HyperX series  :cool:

Offline Heist

• Warchief of the Horde
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:58:39 »
I got HyperX Stinger, decent budget option.  However, I really can't wearing a headset so most of the time I just use my iphone earbuds :p

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 00:29:42 »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 18:19:41 »
lol at Beats and the gaming brands.

I've owned gaming headsets from multiple major audio companies:
  • Sennheiser PC 320 was relatively cheap, felt cheap, lacked in comfort (too small), but didn't sound bad in the end (a bit bass-shy though). That said, I believe the higher-end headsets based on HD 5x8 are very good, albeit rather pricey. I'm a huge fan of Sennheiser's pro headphones, such as HD 25 and HD 250 (both available with a variety of mics), HD 580-based cans etc.
  • Beyerdynamic MMX2—another budget headset, but I like it. The cushion and headband are very comfy, and sound signature is surprisingly non-fatiguing and fun... definitely very different from modern DT 770 Pro.
  • Audio Technica ATH-AG1x hasn't blown me away (considering its price: $300 new), but my preferences are elsewhere and it's most definitely a very respectable piece of equipment.

Offline ReadmeDotTxt

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 00:47:55 »
I've been using some good ol' ATH M50's and also have the M50x. They go on sale now and again and are a good mid-tier choice. My current mic is a logitech webcam LOL. It does the job.

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 15:55:47 »
I've tried a dozen different headsets but I keep coming back to Astro Gaming headsets. I have the A30 and A50's and they're excellent.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 15:15:14 »
Though they suck, Razer's headsets are really really comfy. A shame that everything else about them is just wrong.

Offline nxtruong

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 08:33:33 »
Though they suck, Razer's headsets are really really comfy. A shame that everything else about them is just wrong.

:thumb:

Offline Boskr

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 12:41:31 »
As almost any audiophile will tell you (Though I'm not one), anything "gaming" is going to be crap for the price, which means decent quality will run you $200+.

Actual headphones + mic is the way to go for quality.

I use Sennheiser HD280 + Blue Yeti, but I'll be switching to a modmic soon.
Levinson split 40%, Gat Greens, DSA Blank
GH60, Cherry Browns, OEM Granite
Razer BWX TE, Gat Blacks+RGB, DSA Blank, No Logo (522 Solder Joints!!!)
Razer BWX TE, Razer Greens+RGB, All Stock (girlfriend's)
MagicForce 68, Cherry Reds, TaiHao Dasher
Corsair K70, Cherry Reds+RGB, Stock Caps

Ask me about Soldering/Assembly/Other services in NC!

Offline Bucake

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 06:09:59 »

it's more the price vs quality ratio rather than just quality. you just get more for your money if you buy separate hardware
the only valid reason to go for a headset is the convenience of it, especially if you play at LANs.
modmic is definitely a nice alternative to a headset
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Boskr

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 08:15:07 »

it's more the price vs quality ratio rather than just quality. you just get more for your money if you buy separate hardware
the only valid reason to go for a headset is the convenience of it, especially if you play at LANs.
modmic is definitely a nice alternative to a headset
True, I was mainly just speaking to the point that anything that says "gaming" anywhere on it is going to have a horrible price-performance ratio.

That said, even if it's for convenience I would go headphones + ModMic.

Sent from my Google Pixel through space technology

Offline Bucake

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 05:30:32 »

:D

True, I was mainly just speaking to the point that anything that says "gaming" anywhere on it is going to have a horrible price-performance ratio.

That said, even if it's for convenience I would go headphones + ModMic.

yeah i agree on both points. it's a shame, wouldn't be too bad to have an actually-good headset :-)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Boskr

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 09:21:00 »

it's a shame, wouldn't be too bad to have an actually-good headset :-)

True. Sennheiser's game headsets get some really good reviews, but I've not had the opportunity to use one. If I just HAD to trust a “gaming” headset, that’s probably what I would get, based on their reputation as studio headphone makers.

Offline gallowgeek

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 09:07:31 »
I am using Kingston's Hyper X Revolver and I love it. I've owned 2 gaming headsets before and I find this one to be the best in terms of sound quality. Although I do admit that getting a studio pair of cans are much better, the Hyper X Revolver is still pretty good; quite good, in fact, for a "gaming" headset.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 11:39:56 »
I am using Kingston's Hyper X Revolver and I love it. I've owned 2 gaming headsets before and I find this one to be the best in terms of sound quality. Although I do admit that getting a studio pair of cans are much better, the Hyper X Revolver is still pretty good; quite good, in fact, for a "gaming" headset.

Agreed!  :thumb:
Used a razor ow edition headset before using a Hyper X. It's totally different.  :))

Offline Viking_Robot

• Flickr
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 14:00:21 »
I have tried probably about 20 different make and models.  I have finally landed on the Sennheiser PC363D.   they have the foam ear cups1 as i cant stand the fake leather ones.
Current Keyboards - TGR Jane CE WKL Blue Grey | TGR Jane v2 CE | TGR 910 RE | TGR 910 SE | TGR Alice/Police | TGR Tris | Keycult No2 TKL | Keycult No2 65 | Duck Octagon v3 Black | Duck Orion v3 WKL Silver |

Flickr

Offline christopherbluford

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 23:59:19 »
My sister got an affordable quality headphones for me and they are really good. They provide a good fit and cover the ears and hence can enjoy music. I also use them while exercising, I am not much of a gamer but the sound quality is really good. You can check over here for those headphones.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 March 2017, 01:12:04 by christopherbluford »

Offline gallowgeek

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 10:42:28 »
I definitely agree that "gaming" headsets are overpriced mediocre cans. I think you're better off buying a great pair of studio headphones and using something like a modmic for your microphone.

Offline Jhors2

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 21:12:45 »
The Sennheisher PC headsets are quite nice, but otherwise I have to echo what everyone here has said.  Modmic with good headphones (I prefer HD598s for gaming) are ideal.
Duck Blackbird | Duck LSv3 | Duck Unicorn X Legend |  TX-75 | Mira SE | LZ-CP | LZ Iron | LZ Ergo | Duck Jet Fire | OTD 360 Corsa Apple Silver | TGR-910 CE

Incoming: Zeal Zephyr | Duck TC-V3 | Singa R2 | LZ GH v2 | Noxary 280 S | Noxary 220 S