Author Topic: Chinese improvement on Topre?  (Read 13017 times)

Offline LoveYouFyi

Re: Chinese improvement on Topre?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 15:19:44 »
It seems to me that the word "destroy" is a needless exaggeration. If you honestly believe that "destroy" is the right word to use, then I would say you are being an alarmist.

Um, I'm not being alarmist.  The choice of words helps put emphasis where it belongs.  And, using the word "destroy" is not inappropriate.  Perhaps you want to review the definition. 
I'm not trying to offend anyone.  If I owned a bull dog, and someone tells me "be careful with that thing, they've been known to destroy your furniture, and by the way, if you have a baby you need to keep that think away from it because it may kill it" ... I suppose I could CHOOSE to be offended by that... or by anything really.  But I try to keep an open mind and take information in, process it, use what I think it applicable and discard what I think is not. 

Sorry if I offended anyone with my 'alarmist' discussion. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 15:33:43 »
Um, I'm not being alarmist.

Um, yes you are.  :rolleyes:

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 15:35:06 »
If I ever experience chronic pain in my finger joints, there will be no way to tell if it is from typing or from playing piano, guitar, and oboe. I'm no more likely to give up typing on a switch I enjoy than I am to give up playing music. I've noticed that what passes for health advice around here tends to just be a form of (largely irrelevant) ergonomic evangelism.

Um, that's fine.  Why are you messaging me with your hate email about the keys you enjoy so much?  I posted an open topic on here about feedback of my experience, and also many people's problems with typing too long on these mechanical keyboards we all use, and what can be done to alleviate some possible future problems.

Consider working on building your self esteem to a point where you can read some informative information and process it without allowing it to distort your feelings so much that you need to lash out.

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 15:48:35 »
You posted an entire thread about the same thing, then claim here that it's a joke.

Why would you post this in a dedicated thread if you were joking?

No.. I am not joking that topre is destroying fingers.  I was joking about citing the ages, and time it takes.  People here can sure get touchy.  I prescribe those of you who replied to me with angst and anger in your messages to relax.  Take information in, process it, use what is useful to you and discard what is not... and breath... No need to get all offended...

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 21:13:12 »
You posted an entire thread about the same thing, then claim here that it's a joke.

No.. I am not joking that topre is destroying fingers.  I was joking about citing the ages, and time it takes.  People here can sure get touchy.  I prescribe those of you who replied to me with angst and anger in your messages to relax.  Take information in, process it, use what is useful to you and discard what is not... and breath... No need to get all offended...
This has to be an elaborate troll

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 21:48:04 »
/headscratch..

why goerik why ?

You're a nobody

Geekhackers are mostly nobodies...

You're a nobody saying weird stuff to attract the attention of yet more nobodies..

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 21:48:26 »
Speaking of lashing out. :rolleyes:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 02:49:52 »
/headscratch..

why goerik why ?

You're a nobody

You're a nobody saying weird stuff to attract the attention of yet more nobodies..
Loser! You're a loser!

Offline zslane

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 11:48:02 »

This has to be an elaborate troll

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't think he's a troll per se; but I do think he's been drinking way too much of his own Kool-Aid.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 10:50:54 »
/headscratch..

why goerik why ?

You're a nobody

Loser! You're a loser!

I am not using -nobody- as a means of derogation.

I am merely saying, there's no utility to that type of behavior.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:11:54 »
Tp4, It is obviously a curse with us. Look I am just going to say this and everyone can stone me. The quality of Topre is a friggin' joke for $250+. They are probably in japan saying "Stupid White folks lining our pockets". I have a feeling that in Japan actual businesses, Schools etc. pay like $80USD. A single fanboy maybe pays $150 in Japan. Just guessing. There is just no way these $5 rubber domes cost 300 bucks. So many hate China for this but I love them for it. This is going to eventually change of course. One day we will be paying $300 for Chinese rubber domes. Japan Won't even bother making them then. Game over. I own 7 Topre based boards and I think I can attest to what they really are. Some things cost $$ to make but I doubt this.

Honest question, not flaming: how is the quality of Topre a joke? What is wrong with it?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:15:01 »
They are FAR more reliable than Cherry..because there is less that can go wrong...less that wears out...

Switch to switch (if you count each topre switch as an individual) then they're probably pretty close as far as how many times they can be used...

But the nature of Topre vs. MX means you'll have far more problems with MX...Too much reliance on soldering..it just means you have points of failure that have little to do with the switch itself...plus you have contact points, things that wear, etc...

That's why you hear about people often having an issue with a specific key not working, etc or going bad...whereas I can't even recall a time when people are having that issue with Topre....

In fact, I'm not sure I've even heard of anyone having an issue with the rubber wearing out..yet...I'm sure it'll happen at some point though...

The new Chinese/Korean Topre like keyboards are not an improvement although I do like that they've included silencing..it helps make them sound a bit better because without it there is a lot more clanking going on...I also like that they've gone the MX route as far as keycaps.  Win/Wine as far as I'm concerned...For me it provides an alternative..maybe something I'd leave at work because I'd be less worried about it...all for pushing prices down because of competition....

Unfortunately, I am actually experiencing that now with my black HHKB. It feels... super stiff. Compared to my newer white HHKB and my 87UB 55g, it feels cheap, worn out, scratchy even.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Polymer

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 17:03:20 »
I have a HHKB from 2007 and it isn't like that at all...

Topres get smoother as you use them more...they're already smooth but definitely smoother and that doesn't change with age.

I think the rubber gets ever so slightly stiffer...

But I haven't seen the domes fail yet..as in they're falling apart...

If you're getting scratchiness maybe your sliders have gotten worn out..I wouldn't think that would be easily possible but I suppose it is...or maybe it is dirt...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 21:54:00 »
35g is too light to be an improvement over anything :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zslane

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 12:21:22 »
35g is too light to be an improvement over anything :))

Agreed.  :thumb: