Author Topic: Elitekeyboards Replacement for the Filco Tenkeyless - The Leopold FC200R  (Read 179345 times)

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
Replacement for the Filco Tenkeyless - The Leopold FC200R

Many of you have been surprised when Elitekeyboards announced that they would no longer carry Filco keyboards and instead will stock up on a different line of Cherry MX keyboards in 2011. With a few people peeking at the Elitekeyboards website source-code and quickly noticing a few changes, the cat did not remain in the bag for too long: The Korean brand Leopold will replace Filco keyboards in the Cherry MX lineup.

But what do we know about the Leopold keyboards? Unless you are fluent in Korean - probably not much.

Luckily, Elitekeyboards have been kind enough to hook me up with a sample unit free of charge, so I can give you guys a quick impression and a first advance look at what Leopold keyboards offer and how they compare to our beloved Filcos. The review sample I have received is the FC200R’s Japanese cousin - the Archiss AS-KB87T. Aside the name, the keyboard is identical to the Leopold FC200R that Elitekeyboards will be stocking in 2011.

A bit of history

Leopold is a Korean brand and online shop specialized on input devices. They were one of the first shops to start dealing mechanical keyboard and accessories when the “keyboard craze” started in Asia. Founded in 2005, they already released several products aimed at keyboard enthusiasts such as the first ever Filco double-shot keycaps, exclusively limited Topre Realforce keyboards and more recently WASD gaming keycaps made of rubber!

The FC200R is Leopold’s own mechanical tenkeyless keyboard. The keyboard was actually designed by the very same person who originally designed the Filco. Re-made from scratch in cooperation with the Japanese brand Archiss many of its features are based on customer feedback and ideas such as:

• Detachable USB cable
  • Better stabilizers for the bigger keys
  • More durable keycaps
  • Only optional branding/logos - no print or logo on the case to keep a sleek look

When taking the keyboard out of its box, current Filco owners will be reminded of their first time unboxing a Filco. In fact the packaging is almost identical. The FC200R comes packaged tigh in a cardboard box, protected by a clear-plastic cover that can also be re-used to protect the keyboard from dust.

Everything else we need and expect is here too. We get the 1,6m (5,25 feet) long cable with a cable tie and a USB to PS/2 adapter to make use of the full N-Key rollover.

Come a little closer...

Weighting 1.1kg (2.42 lbs) the Leopold is slightly heavier than a Filco tenkeyless and just about an inch wider. The case design is simple and sleek. No visible logo, no extra text, no extra LEDs and smooth rounded corners should satisfy most purists.

The back of the case reveals six rubber feet to give the keyboard a tight grip on your desk. Just like the Filco, this keyboard will not move around on your desk.

The standard expandable feet allow you to type at a higher angle while still keeping grip from the two extra rubber feet.

Taking a closer look at the mini-usb plug for the detachable cable, you will notice that it lets you setup the cable exactly to where you need it. The FC200R comes with three “cable channels”, a feature inspired by vintage keyboards to give you freedom about the cable alignment with almost any desk setup.

As previously mentioned, the keyboard has no extra LEDs for the lock states. Instead the LEDs are found directly in the keycaps. I think this is a great feature, but some people tend to disagree because it also makes finding fitting replacement keycaps much harder. On the other hand, if you are not a fan of bright LEDs you can always replace the keycaps with non transparent ones and enjoy a keyboard with no distracting lights.

By default the FC200R ships with ABS keycaps with white laser engraved legends. Similar to the Filco, the simple, italic font should satisfy most people. No fancy Lord of the Rings fonts here; no blurry, upscaled pixelfonts - just a very sharp and readable font.

Quality and construction

The standard keycaps have a slightly rough texture and feel similar to uncoated Filco keycaps. The lasered legends are very sharp and thanks to the laser-infill method also very high in contrast. The downside to this is that you can slightly feel the legends on the keycaps under your fingertips or with your fingernails. This is normal for modern lasered keycaps and should be less noticeable after a few weeks of usage.

Despite the same profile and a similar design, the Leopold keycaps are slightly thicker than Filco keycaps.

Plate mounted switches and a very stable case construction held together by eight plastic clips and three screws deliver a solid typing experience. There is no obvious flexing or bending of the plate or the case. The case construction seems to be on the same quality level as Filco keyboards.

The first look with the plastic shell off instantly reveals that the keyboard was indeed designed from scratch. No Costar controller, entirely different PCB design.

The PCB design is very clever and future proof, as it already comes with full support for possible international variants. Support for L and J shaped Enter as well as a few European and Korean extra keys is already there. Don’t get too excited though! So far no international version has been announced, but maybe the wait will be shorter than with the international Filco variants this time.

The bigger keycaps are being held by Cherry-Corp stabilizers, which provide a much more stable and virtually flex-free solution compared to wire-based stabilizers. The LEDs are of a medium-bright grade and of blue color. I do not know whether LED color varies based on the switch type like with Filco keyboards or if they are all blue.

N-Key rollover, the rip-o-tine and transportation errors?

When using the keyboard over USB we get the maximum supported keypresses of up to six keys+modifiers. Of course, being a full n-key rollover we get real n-key rollover when connecting the board via PS/2.

In the past there have been a few transportation issues with other boards and the rip-o-tine has turned out to be a kinda reliable and quick way to test a keyboard for basic transportation errors. I ran the FC200R through it a dozen times and have not noticed any errors.

Conclusion

The Leopold FC200R is a very solid and well designed keyboard. There is no doubt that it can keep up with the Filco. The few clever differences such as the improved stabilizers or the removable cable might even make it more desirable to some.

Those of you who were afraid that Elitekeyboards would not be selling “elite” keyboards anymore should not worry too much. This is a very worthy replacement and will not disappoint new buyers and maybe even a few Filco fans. The Elitekeyboards newsletter already hinted that these would be priced at a more competitive value which is a definite plus too!

According to the Elitekeyboards newsletter, the keyboard is currently scheduled for January or February 2011.

- sixty out.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 January 2011, 11:41:25 by sixty »

Offline PRISONER 24601

Elitekeyboards Replacement for the Filco Tenkeyless - The Leopold FC200R
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 11:08:26 »
Awesome. I was crossing my fingers for Leopold.
hell, I'll list a few reasons:
1. known for HQ stuff, ie Filco.
2. made in Korea
3. huge base in Asian enthusiast community
4. they have a cool name
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 11:09:44 »
Nice - thanks for the info Sixty!

I'm curious if the Leopold with browns is quieter than the Filco with browns. The Filco with browns was always too loud to me.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 11:12:31 »
Yup, thanks for the post.  I wonder if it's going to be less expensive than the Filcos.  Oh well, another one to add to my growing collection. lol
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 11:22:34 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;258728
Nice - thanks for the info Sixty!

I'm curious if the Leopold with browns is quieter than the Filco with browns. The Filco with browns was always too loud to me.

The thicker caps might give the Leopold a deeper resonance.
But there are also factors like the mounting plate, etc.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 11:29:10 »
good review and good info, i also hope these are a bit cheaper than the filcos   :P   come january i have 2 keyboards that i want to try out!
Own/Love: REɅLFORCE 87UB EK Edition 45g

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 11:41:56 »
This sure looks like a solid keyboard. I might also have to buy one for myself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Crypt

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 11:43:01 »
Thanks for the review!  I'm curious what accounts for the extra 1" width.

I'm also excited at the possibility of availability of Leopold keycaps for Filco board replacement.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 December 2010, 11:49:07 by Crypt »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 11:47:33 »
Are the Filco keyboards going to still be made or are they just not getting sold at that vendor?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline bakageta

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:01:23 »
Now, if only I can get one in white, with no legends... :P

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:06:29 »
Quote from: bakageta;258763
Now, if only I can get one in white, with no legends... :P
In do time...hopefully

Looking forward to give one of these a test run. I like how they give you the Leopold sticker separate from the board. Think I'll put that on my desk. I digs the "no name brand" look.
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:10:24 »
Damn sixty you the bomb.  Does leopold have any KB's as small as the noppoo choc mini?
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline Kairxa

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:13:41 »
Now I want those board. Dang, their keycaps looks very nice.

Offline ynih

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:17:02 »
Oh boy, now instead of Chinese characters, we are plagued with Korean characters...damn...i still can't read them >__>
Keyboards: (2) FKBN87MC/EB | (2) FKBN87M/EB | (1) FKBN87ML/EB | (1) FKBN87Z/EB | (1) FKBN104M/AI | (1) FKBN104MC/AI | (1) FKB104M/EB | (1) RK-9000 | (1) RF 86U SE05C0 all 45g modded | (1) HHKB 2 Pro PD-KB400W

Offline jpc

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:19:00 »
do want. xmas comes in february

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:32:35 »
Nice review.

I'm kind of surprised EK didn't just outright name Leopold (publicly, outside of the source code). People buying mechanical keyboards don't generally impulse buy. Although it could be that EK is just finalizing the arrangements.

What I'm most curious about is the pricing.

Offline ManjyomeThunder

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:35:42 »
I was worried at first, but no longer! Fits right into my schedule. Definitely buying one with blues around February/March.
Current Favorite:  Noppoo Choc Mini with Cherry MX Blues
"Storage": ABS M1, Unicomp Customizer 104, Razer Lycosa, (3) Dell AT101W, GeekHack Space Saver
Other stuff: Razer DeathAdder, eXactMat

Offline panda-R

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:40:05 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;258791
People buying mechanical keyboards don't generally impulse buy. Although it could be that EK is just finalizing the arrangements.

I think you haven't been paying attention to the trend on this board. You can take a dump and hide a cherry switch (especially a red) inside, call it a mechcanical kb and all the noobs will want it.

Its surprising how many people buy a new board with the same switch technology inside, same layout and a different brand name and be ecstatic about their purchases!
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline panda-R

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:47:42 »
Ghss?

Offline laden3

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:55:50 »
not sure abt the PBT part, some ppl mentioned that they couldn't make clear "keycaps windows" because PBT isn't clear... maybe they found a way a overcome that problem, who knows?
http://www.pcwaishe.cn/archiver/tid-35681.html Leopold> made by Costar, but... no sources
the cable channels are definitely better than Ducky's
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 December 2010, 23:41:31 by laden3 »
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline panda-R

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:59:36 »
Quote from: laden3;258820
not sure abt the PBT part, some ppl mentioned that they couldn't make clear "keycaps windows" because PBT isn't clear... maybe they found a way a overcome that problem, who knows?
http://www.pcwaishe.cn/archiver/tid-35681.html Leopold> made my Costar, but... no sources
the cable channels are definitely better than Ducky's

the keycaps aren't one piece so it doesn't matter what the material is. My Ducky 9008 has PBT keys with 'clearer' parts for the LED.

Offline laden3

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 13:10:42 »
http://bbs.kbc-china.com/thread-4161-1-1.html post #9, words from people who actually made the keycaps, still... others probably overcame the problem
and something funny http://bbs.kbc-china.com/thread-4188-1-1.html
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline panda-R

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 13:30:03 »
I think i understand what laden3 is saying now, the clear part that allows the LIGHT to shine through is made from PBT also and it can't come out clear.

I guess Leopold uses a different material for the 'clear' part.

Offline panda-R

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 13:32:55 »
Quote from: ripster;258854
Ya know (I'm in Welly multispam thread mode so no stopping me now), the revelation of MuchAdoAboutNothing plays perfectly into Majestouch's hands.   This allows Sixty to release the review early.  This allows the Ducky Train to get derailed.  This means people buy things for Christmas that their GFs and wives really want instead of keyboards.

you're such a conspiracy theorist, but it does make sense to derail the ducky train to get more sales.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 13:33:33 »
Quote from: ripster;258852
Hmmmm....

Where's Moogle?  That Dead Ducky.
Show Image

What are those LED's on the function keys for anyways?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 13:33:50 »
Or... PCHome starts stocking Leopold 'boards, GHers freak, start buying them, SOs are terribly disappointed, Brian is pissed.  It could go either way.  It just depends on if the competition is watching or not.

Offline panda-R

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 13:33:57 »
Quote from: ripster;258857
Who gives a rip what the clear part is made of?

Are the Chinese complaining about shiny LED windows?  Don't they have drugs for OCD over there?  Or some exotic tea shaped like Deer Dung?

Well I usually complain about something when I got nothing better to do. Did I mention my Ducky's ESC key is like 1.5mm off center? Imma so angry about that.

Offline panda-R

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 13:34:42 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;258861
What are those LED's on the function keys for anyways?

i suppose they're for letting the inner beauty of the keycaps shine through.

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 13:42:39 »
Quote from: ripster;258854
Ya know (I'm in Welly multispam thread mode so no stopping me now), the revelation of MuchAdoAboutNothing plays perfectly into Majestouch's hands.   This allows Sixty to release the review early.  This allows the Ducky Train to get derailed.  This means people buy things for Christmas that their GFs and wives really want instead of keyboards

My, my, what a great conspiracy theory. I uncover the "secret" and EliteKeyboards saves Christmas for the missus while Geekhackers lust for the new product.

It's such a great conspiracy theory that I propose that Brian send me a Leopold Tenkeyless for evaluation purposes :lol:

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 13:51:08 »
I think some will hold out, warranty is something nice to have. Armygroup and PCHome don't have that and if they do..Who is going to ship their keyboard back?
Topre || BS > *

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 14:38:03 »
Quote from: itlnstln;258862
Or... PCHome starts stocking Leopold 'boards, GHers freak, start buying them, SOs are terribly disappointed, Brian is pissed.  It could go either way.  It just depends on if the competition is watching or not.

This is why we make distribution contracts with our suppliers. The PCHome thing was complicity allowed because we didn't have any stock. Unfortunately they didn't ask me first, so they're not winning points with me...but Keyboardco did, and I would recommend buying a FILCO from them any day.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 14:45:43 »
majestouch

Are you going to keep your username?

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline KikassAssassin

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 14:47:26 »
That looks pretty nice. I like the cable routing and thick key caps, and those stabilizers should make it less of a PITA to remove the long keys. Is there a blank keycap version of the tenkeyless Leopold boards? If there is and EK stocks it, I might consider selling my brown Filco tenkeyless and buy that instead of trying to find a set of blank Filco key caps.

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 14:52:03 »
Quote from: lowpoly;258937
Are you going to keep your username?

I'm pretty sure vBulletin allows for it, but it screws all sorts of things up (e.g. context in an older thread where everyone's referring to "majestouch" and he has a new username).

That said, it does become odd when he's going to be switching from Filco...

Offline theferenc

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 15:05:54 »
Also, come on, his name is majestouch, and his avatar is a realforce. It's only appropriate that he sells some else.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 15:14:11 »
Quote from: ripster;258985
I never associated "Majestouch" with Filco anyway. Must be some asian thing.

In USA I think of it as "He Got Da Magic Touch".

LOL I thought the same thing!

Majes! slang for magic!
Topre || BS > *

Offline Henry

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 15:29:49 »
The font is Arial, and unfortunately on the Leopold, it isn't in italic.

Also, to show what I meant by poor key alignment and spacing in the other thread:

But sixty's keyboard looks all right, maybe it's been fixed by now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 December 2010, 15:39:10 by Henry »

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 16:46:47 »
Wow, this makes me want to offer my Filco for trade (if anyone even still wants one).

The detachable cable would be a HUGE deal to me.  Then I could swap my HHKB and this so easily...
If I just had one cable for both, I might actually use more than just one keyboard.

I think I'm going to have to post my Filco Tenkeyless for sale as soon as I see the price on this one.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 December 2010, 16:50:38 by AndrewZorn »

Offline panda-R

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 16:54:41 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;259090

The detachable cable would be a HUGE deal to me.  Then I could swap my HHKB and this so easily...
If I just had one cable for both, I might actually use more than just one keyboard.

it's not 100% guarantee, my ducky 9008 doesn't like the cable at all taken out while the computers on. I have to pull it the cable from the USB port completely to get ducky to work again. My 1087 ducky doesn't seem to be affected though.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 16:56:39 »
How much will these sell for?

Offline panda-R

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 17:02:17 »
I'm ultra hip cool so I'm going to say these won't sell for enough.

Offline panda-R

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 17:07:17 »
Quote from: ripster;259104
That shouldn't happen.  Check the insides for loose connectors.  PCB to miniPCB.  Check.  MiniPCB to External Connect.  Check.   External to Cable.  Check.

Vector Victor.  Clearance Clarance.
Show Image

I dunno, it's made in taiwan which is close enough to china to be affected by the chinese manufacturing radiation so I wouldn't be surprised if something is the borken inside but not a big deal at this point.

Offline spronkey

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 17:44:52 »
Hmm...

No-one else noticed the poor quality look of the soldering on the PCB photo?

It looks a LOT worse than my Ducky 9008, and I had to resolder the spacebar on this Ducky to get it to work properly!

I'm also not a huge fan of the more rounded look - the Filco definitely looks tighter with that smaller curve radius on the plastic edges...

Removable cable is win though.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 17:54:48 »
Quote from: spronkey;259134
Hmm...

No-one else noticed the poor quality look of the soldering on the PCB photo?

It looks a LOT worse than my Ducky 9008, and I had to resolder the spacebar on this Ducky to get it to work properly!

I've never been one to avoid asking or paying for product improvements where they're necessary. What do you perceive is lacking in the soldering of this PCB; mind you the one photo in the review was taken with a very wide lens aperture, so it's mostly out of focus. However, I'm sure sixty would volunteer to take a few more photos if you'd take some of your ducky for side by side objective comparison of material and application.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 17:59:29 »
Quote from: ripster;259104
That shouldn't happen.

Thats what I was thinking... I don't think mini-USB has a way to even detect which side is plugged in, it's a straight-through cable so unplugging one side should be identical to unplugging the other.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 18:19:54 »
The soldering in the pic looked just fine to me, but a view of the whole board should give us a better idea of the general trend in soldering quality.  I've seen some ****e soldering, with flux residue covering circuit boards, but I see neither in the pic Sixty posted.

This Leopold board seems to address (almost?) all concerns with Filco boards that I've seen/heard.  I'm definitely looking forward to EK stocking Leopold boards if they're all this well equipped.  Full size board with blues and NKRO is what I'm looking for, but the price of a Filco considering the "faults" and shipping to Canada kept me holding off.  I'll hold off buying a Rosewill until I see what the new line at EK looks like. =)
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 19:23:52 »
Nothing new, but..
This Leopold board seems to address (almost?) all concerns with Filco boards that I've seen/heard.

- No one should be a fan of domed WinVista keys
- Like Filco, do not include a layered numpad

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 19:38:25 »
It's a Christmas* Miracle!
*marketing
keyboards!

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 19:42:59 »
Could someone post a picture of a Filco tenkeyless with the Leopold tenkeyless? I'm still not sure how Leopold can be an inch longer, unless each key is a tiny bit wider.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline panda-R

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 19:43:14 »
Quote from: ripster;259169
bwahahahaha.  

Geekhackers will think of something new.  Trust me.

I'm still getting over the "Topre Fart".

Yeh the leopold still doesn't address the fact that the keyboard doesn't make me any money to buy bamboo pants.