Author Topic: [IC] Saturn-60: High-Profile Steel Keyboard [GB ordering closed]  (Read 75180 times)

Offline radam

Re: [IC] Saturn-60: High-Profile Steel Keyboard [Protos Ordered]
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 12:12:08 »
I think Mkultra.click is working on a hotswap boardwalk. Please keep boardwalk compatibility. I have mine millmaxed.

Will there be standoff holes on the bottom for mounting a rpi? Or just mounting tape to the bottom of the case?

It might be neat to have a square panel cut out, that we can break off, so that we can 3d print a little bracket for the rpi.
Something kinda like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1793758, but mounting it sideways and exposing the video, audio, and power.

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 13:17:24 »
I think Mkultra.click is working on a hotswap boardwalk. Please keep boardwalk compatibility. I have mine millmaxed.

Will there be standoff holes on the bottom for mounting a rpi? Or just mounting tape to the bottom of the case?

It might be neat to have a square panel cut out, that we can break off, so that we can 3d print a little bracket for the rpi.
Something kinda like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1793758, but mounting it sideways and exposing the video, audio, and power.

The Serial Plate holes are the same pattern/dimension as the RasPi4 mounting holes.  <- This was going to be an Easter Egg but I think it makes more sense just to be candid about it.
You are right that knockout plates are probably the easiest way to allow it to be modular, but that would make the design a little too purpose-built and it doesn't look good.

For HDMI/Eth/etc. cables this is what I'm thinking:

Offline radam

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 13:52:04 »
I think that’s probably good if you wanna keep the back clean. I guess people can always try to cut into the case if they really want to diy extra port holes.

I might try to get an extra for this purpose if possible. I have a Blokas.io pisound and it would be really cool to have a little all in one pi audio workstation thing.

Offline parablol

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 19:36:12 »
Dear lord, please let the Ogre Ergo kit for GMK Sixes reach MOQ, because I needs it for that Saturn 60 with the beige powder coat.

Offline BirgusLatro

Re: [IC] Saturn-60: High-Profile Steel Keyboard [Protos ARRIVED]
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 22:18:55 »
Quick and dirty update regarding the prototypes I received yesterday:

Good news:
First of all I am typing this message on a Saturn-60 that I just built with Box Jades and a DZ60 [clone] PCB.
I wanted to see how loud and pingy a Saturn-60 would be without any dampening whatsoever, and I was surprised that actually it isn't that bad...reminds me of the way a Model M "sings" but you can call me biased. 
I have a handful of foam samples and the next builds will utilize foam and linear or tactile switches.
The plates turned out really well and I am happy with the strength and flexibility of those, despite being aluminium.
Here is a build gallery: https://imgur.com/a/hKkgkBK
The bad news:
The Manufacturer didn't make the top halves correctly but they agreed to remake them since it was their mistake.
What happened is they completely omitted the latching feature from the front part of the top halves, which you can see at the end of the gallery above (this is why the gaps on the side are so big still - the case is just floating due to this issue).
Also, the laser cutting process causes moderate cosmetic damage to the brushed stainless, so I might retract that finish option because QC will be way too hard.

Here is a CLICKY typing test:
https://i.imgur.com/eq6E0IP.mp4

Offline KeebOnMe

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 00:06:09 »
This board looks great! If I had the carpenter skills, I'd make a permanent standing desk and have this keyboard able to pull out.
As for the handle, I'd use magnetic ones to initiate the slide and close when needed.

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 11:49:21 »
This board looks great! If I had the carpenter skills, I'd make a permanent standing desk and have this keyboard able to pull out.
As for the handle, I'd use magnetic ones to initiate the slide and close when needed.

Thank you!  I think that would be really cool... looking forward to see how everyone uses their boards eventually !   :thumb:

Offline tempo

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 13:49:22 »
Oh my, that handle lol

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 00:48:43 »
"Cost?
Target cost is between $125-175 per kit."

I'm so in! This is one of those keebs where SA Keycaps would sit perfectly! Hoping for WKL layout :)

When is GB?

Edit: Filled up IC Form
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 August 2020, 00:51:19 by The.Ryan.Gamer »

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 15:23:29 »
"Cost?

I'm so in! This is one of those keebs where SA Keycaps would sit perfectly! Hoping for WKL layout :)

When is GB?

Nice!!!   GB hopefully this month BUT is potentially needing to get bumped back because the prototypes had some issues. I also need to get those and the other fine details of the design sorted out.  I'm trying to fix the problems before starting GB instead of taking everyone's money and then working out the kinks.

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 23:29:25 »
"Cost?

When is GB?

No rush. Will be waiting patiently  :D

Nice!!!   GB hopefully this month BUT is potentially needing to get bumped back because the prototypes had some issues. I also need to get those and the other fine details of the design sorted out.  I'm trying to fix the problems before starting GB instead of taking everyone's money and then working out the kinks.

Offline BrickParade

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 11:08:05 »
i'm super into this and definitely onboard for the GB whenever it's ready!

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 11:21:03 »
This reminds me of a very specific system keyboard from the early 1980's but I can't remember what it was called.  Even the logo is the same style.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline StanleyLelnats

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 18:11:26 »
Love this design. Would love to be able to fit a solenoid in there.

Offline gnho

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 22:18:37 »
LOVE this thing! I may get a RasPi4 and learn how to use it because of this board. Great price point and excellent design!

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 15:20:07 »
i'm super into this and definitely onboard for the GB whenever it's ready!

Excellent!  I still don't have a firm date for the GB yet, but the issue with the protos is causing it to be pushed back nonetheless.

Love this design. Would love to be able to fit a solenoid in there.

I have had a couple of people ask about solenoid support.  Still undecided on whether the PCB will support or not.  But either way I think that the solenoid seems like more of a liability to add to the PCB than a benefit.

LOVE this thing! I may get a RasPi4 and learn how to use it because of this board. Great price point and excellent design!

Thank you so much!  The more refined this board gets, the harder it is to stay on target for cost, but I am trying to only do things that I feel are "worth it", like badges and sound dampening.

This reminds me of a very specific system keyboard from the early 1980's but I can't remember what it was called.  Even the logo is the same style.

The logo style was inspired by UNIVAC, which is much older than the 80s so maybe not be what you are thinking of... but I am curious to see so let me know if you remember it

Offline BirgusLatro

Re: [IC] Saturn-60: High-Profile Steel Keyboard [new protos coming]
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 19:17:24 »
Happy Saturnday GeekHack!  I have a few updates to share with you:

Next week:
  • Another round of protos are coming. These are production-intent. If the form and function both look good, I'll set a GB date in September with vendors.
  • I expect to receive the remaining quotes needed to be able to set the Retail Prices.
  • The custom PCB protos will be done and shipped to me for arrival the week after (estimate). More info below
About the Titan60 PCB:

Layouts supported using 2 different plates: "Purist" and "Utilitarian".

Q. Why make this custom PCB if it is just a normal 60% layout? 
A. First, because I linked up with an excellent PCB designer and we can provide it in the GB for cheaper than an off-the shelf one. Second, I want to support RGB side-glow for the vents on the sides of the case. Third, because it looks cool.
Q. Can I still use my own 60% PCB?
A. Yes. DZ60, AN-C, Zeal-60 and many other "Pok3r" PCBs should work.  But the USB interlink cable included will only be Type C.
Q. What about ortho users?
A. I still plan to offer Boardwalk PCBs (and plates) during the GB.

Custom Foam and Gaskets

The thicker one installs above the plate, the thinner one goes below.

Updates from behind the scenes:
After I received the last round of protos, I was unhappy with the quality of the stainless laserwork and with my design for the front latch mechanism.
I spent the past weeks redesigning it to be more easily manufactured, and more user friendly.  The issue was that the hinge would cause significant scraping during assembly/disassembly. So I changed the front to have a flange with clinch nuts. This means the Top Case assembles directly from above, and should no longer significantly rub. 
Pics to illustrate the new front edge design:

(Bottom Gasket not shown)

Huge props to u/JaffaScript for designing both Saturn badges, PCB graphics, and currently working on the company logo.
Huge props to u/wild_sitcom_episode/ for the PCB design.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 August 2020, 19:22:15 by BirgusLatro »

Offline eribabu

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 17:56:46 »
Beautiful. I always felt steel cut cases were under-explored.
I have an ortho set of Godspeed MT3 Apollo caps - hard to say whether the white or beige would be a better match. Either way I can't wait for this.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 21:42:20 »
Don't know how this flew under my radar for so long. I am DEFINITELY in for this.

Offline ryukomatoi

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 00:56:39 »
This is perfect for my weed stash. I'm in.

Offline typeaudesign

• Typeau Design.
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 04:40:02 »
I’m so conflicted about this.. I hate that I love it so much :|

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 11:52:58 »
Don't know how this flew under my radar for so long. I am DEFINITELY in for this.

Definitely not too late to get in!  GB dates and vendors will be announced soon.

This is perfect for my weed stash. I'm in.

I can neither condone nor condemn this type of activity

I’m so conflicted about this.. I hate that I love it so much :|

I will soon send prototype(s) to streamer(s); perhaps some real steel will help change how you feel.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 10:34:28 »
You know I am definitely in for this, but I just had an idea: old typewiters similar to this used to have these cover shells that you could snap on to protect it while you carried your typewriter around.
I'll bet something like that would be a really snazzy option for this. you could have it loop over and under the front and just have a strap to the back to hold it closed.

Probably not something everyone is interested in, but it would be a really cool option.

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 12:06:39 »
At first I said “lol”

Then I saw the target price and said “in”

Offline Magnificent Bureaucrat

• Sooooo much red tape
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 12:23:37 »
I glanced at this IC when it first went live but got no further than the renders before I clicked away assuming the kit would cost the earth. Taking a second look I think this thing would absolutely amazing if it comes in anywhere near the targeted price point. I love the white top/black bottom render, reminds me of a prop from 70's sci-fi.

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 19:06:09 »
Beautiful. I always felt steel cut cases were under-explored.
I have an ortho set of Godspeed MT3 Apollo caps - hard to say whether the white or beige would be a better match. Either way I can't wait for this.

Thank you! Sorry I missed replying to your comment earlier.  Working with sheetmetal is very tricky because it is more like origami than carving material into a precise shape.  Each fold has an effect on the next.

You know I am definitely in for this, but I just had an idea: old typewiters similar to this used to have these cover shells that you could snap on to protect it while you carried your typewriter around.
I'll bet something like that would be a really snazzy option for this. you could have it loop over and under the front and just have a strap to the back to hold it closed.

Probably not something everyone is interested in, but it would be a really cool option

I do like this idea, probably will look into covers/cases for the Saturn down the road

At first I said “lol”

Then I saw the target price and said “in”

;D

I glanced at this IC when it first went live but got no further than the renders before I clicked away assuming the kit would cost the earth. Taking a second look I think this thing would absolutely amazing if it comes in anywhere near the targeted price point. I love the white top/black bottom render, reminds me of a prop from 70's sci-fi.

Thank you for coming back and giving it another look!  I am doing my best to provide as much value in this project as possible.

FYI all I have written these replies on a brand new Prototype.

Offline CGreat

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 19:14:07 »
That new proto is looking really good!

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 19:42:26 »

Agreed.

Show Image

Yeah I'm gonna need a side profile shot there boss.

Offline q83n87

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 20:56:46 »
deleted
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 April 2021, 05:27:18 by q83n87 »

Offline sctang

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 00:14:34 »
Looking sweet! Not sure if I missed it but would boardwalk PCBs be part of a potential GB kit?
Keep up the great work!

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 16:38:10 »
  Thank you!  Still not perfect but very close.  Issues with this round are as follows:
-The very high position of the switches in the assembly is because I built this unit with an older revision plate - the new revision plates are 3.5mm lower so the caps will be sit lower in the case. 

-The Mfg. used the wrong radii for some of the bends, so the fit (gaps) are very close but the case halves do not sit as flat as they should.
But, it is significantly better than the previous round.

-The interconnect cable is hard to plug into the PCB because it is very close to where it attaches to the back of the case.  Moving the USB connector to the opposite side of the case will solve this problem.

Finally not made in China :thumb:
I'm in
Yes, the Saturn-60 will meet the FTC requirements for Made in USA claims. 

Looking sweet! Not sure if I missed it but would boardwalk PCBs be part of a potential GB kit?
Keep up the great work!
I appreciate your support  :)

Show Image

Yeah I'm gonna need a side profile shot there boss.
[/quote]
Here you go:

Offline paperassgasket

Re: [IC] Saturn-60: High-Profile Steel Keyboard [build stream soon]
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 16:45:18 »
ohhhhhhhhhhh god that looks so good!

Offline parablol

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 19:30:24 »
Loving the finish and shiny hardware on that prototype.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 19:35:46 »
Is there a possibility of mixing colors for different halves?

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 19:44:26 »
ohhhhhhhhhhh god that looks so good!

Thank you!  Glad you like it.

Loving the finish and shiny hardware on that prototype.
Thanks! I am really loving the quality of these handles. The handle and screws shown are stainless steel.

Is there a possibility of mixing colors for different halves?

Yes 100%.  and you can order an extra case half or two if you want to change them to your mood.

Offline gnho

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 19:53:06 »
I'm a bit surprised that it's a low profile case. Is there a reason it's not high profile?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 23:07:58 »
I'm a bit surprised that it's a low profile case. Is there a reason it's not high profile?

I assembled this build using an older revision of the plate.  The current ones are 3.5mm lower.  I will update with pictures after this weekend

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline gnho

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 23:12:46 »

I assembled this build using an older revision of the plate.  The current ones are 3.5mm lower.  I will update with pictures after this weekend

Looking forward to seeing it. I just find the whole "floating" design doesn't appear "retro." Thanks!

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 00:38:52 »
Yeah no offense to your original plate design but a higher profile on the case would be so much nicer.

Offline spikedsynapse

Re: [IC] Saturn-60: High-Profile Steel Keyboard [typing test inside]
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 21:15:15 »
Wow this is a sexxy board. I cannot wait to make this a part of my collection.

Offline sweetpeppercaps

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 19:41:51 »
So dang hyped that this will be produced in the mint color. You've surely solidified my buy! Can't wait for the GB date announcement!

Offline Carpelos

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 14:39:39 »
100% in. Got my attention with the handle and retro looks, but with the possibilities of the case...
EU proxy?

Offline Dadrophenia

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 13:06:16 »
This one is really cool, if the PCB gets QMK support I'm sold!
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2020, 13:08:19 by Dadrophenia »

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 13:28:30 »
So dang hyped that this will be produced in the mint color. You've surely solidified my buy! Can't wait for the GB date announcement!
Great to have your support, thank you for coming to post in the thread !

This one is really cool, if the PCB gets QMK support I'm sold!

We are actually working on the QMK (and VIA) firmware port right now. Will update when there is more news.

100% in. Got my attention with the handle and retro looks, but with the possibilities of the case...
EU proxy?

Thanks!  I am actively talking to two EU proxies to coordinate dates, price, etc.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 05:21:30 »
I am sold if we have a EU proxy. I hope the price remains as it is :)

Offline aadk5

• AKA: feeebleminded
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 09:44:09 »

Make sure you join the discord! They haven't updated GH yet, but GB is supposed to be October 16th! CandeyKeys is the EU vendor as well

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 10:01:07 »

Make sure you join the discord! They haven't updated GH yet, but GB is supposed to be October 16th! CandeyKeys is the EU vendor as well

Oh too many discords to keep track of. Thanks for the info :) Looking forward to this .

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 15:51:29 »
I just need that beige case and some poop-brown MT3 profile keycaps and I'll be set for life.

Offline paperassgasket

Re: [IC] Saturn-60: High-Profile Steel Keyboard [vendors and GB!]
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 10:32:21 »
Any updates on the badge? Will both be available? How will they mount? After seeing the prototypes I've realized that badge definitely completes the look.

Offline BirgusLatro

Re: [IC] Saturn-60: High-Profile Steel Keyboard [vendors and GB!]
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 12:11:17 »
Any updates on the badge? Will both be available? How will they mount? After seeing the prototypes I've realized that badge definitely completes the look.

Both badge finishes (stainless and brass) will be available for the GB.  The Saturn badge attaches with 3M LSE adhesive and the Serial Data plate attaches with included M3 hardware - both are installed by the customer.