Author Topic: "Changing" a Keyboard Layout with Key Cap Stickers  (Read 5114 times)

Offline timzen

• http://www.mechanische-tastatur.de/
"Changing" a Keyboard Layout with Key Cap Stickers
« on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 08:05:40 »
Hello good people. I am craving a Leopold FC700R but these dont come with a DE (German) Keyboard Layout. Now there are these Key Cap Stickers you can buy for a couple of bucks that i might be able to stick on top of the Z,Y and Numberkeys. Has anyone got experience with this kind of endeavour? Would i have to change the HOME, INSERT, PAGE UP etc, too? Any input appreciated!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: "Changing" a Keyboard Layout with Key Cap Stickers
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 08:49:57 »
Do you want the keyboard layout to *look* like the DE layout or to *work* like the DE layout? Stickers will change the *look*. You can use AutoHotKey to make the keyboard *work* in the way you want. For example if Insert needs to be Home, you can use AutoHotKey to set that.

Offline timzen

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 10:36:34 »
Do you want the keyboard layout to *look* like the DE layout or to *work* like the DE layout?

Both.

Stickers will change the *look*. You can use AutoHotKey to make the keyboard *work* in the way you want. For example if Insert needs to be Home, you can use AutoHotKey to set that.

For the regular Keys like Z,Y and special characters (SHIFT+123...) it should be enough to have the Operating System set to German (DE) Keyboard Layout - Am I wrong? I will have a look into AutoHotKey, thanks for the tip.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 10:40:55 »
For single key swap you can use SharpKeys, it has less impact in RAM than AutoHotKey, that needs to be loaded in RAM to work. SharpKeys works at the registry level, so nothing to load at the start up time.

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 10:57:01 »
For the regular Keys like Z,Y and special characters (SHIFT+123...) it should be enough to have the Operating System set to German (DE) Keyboard Layout - Am I wrong? I will have a look into AutoHotKey, thanks for the tip.

Setting the language in the operating system should work fine.

Offline timzen

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 11:54:00 »
Cheers all!

Now sticking these transparent stickers with red letters

on this keyboard

should work out well for me. Im even a little excited about this already.  :p

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 13:28:17 »
For the price of stickers... you might have been able to grab a used Cherry G80/G81 with DE layout off ebay and switched the keycap. US keyboard work fine with DE keymap with the only caveat is it is missing the <>| key since it dosen't physically exist. Likely best way to go about fixing that is editing the keymap with msklc to move them to an Alt Gr positions on some other keys like , . -
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 March 2014, 13:29:56 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline timzen

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 13:35:51 »
For the price of stickers... you might have been able to grab a used Cherry G80/G81 with DE layout off ebay and switched the keycap.

The stickers are 5 Euros so im not convinced buying a used G80 would the cheaper option, the more elegant option it might be tho. Im a big noob and didnt know they are compatible so thanks for the useful information anyways!

US keyboard work fine with DE keymap with the only caveat is it is missing the <>| key since it dosen't physically exist. Likely best way to go about fixing that is editing the keymap with msklc to move them to an Alt Gr positions on some other keys like , . -

Dang, thanks again.

Offline Nixietube

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 13:45:58 »
just get a vintage cherry keyboard on ebay and look for double shot abs or the thick pbt keycaps and replace the keys on the leopold

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 13:46:52 »
Looks like there are a few on ebay.de now starting at 1€ which would likely be fine after a good clean up. Plus those Cherry keycaps are of a nice high quality with a nice PBT material on light color keyboards or POM material on black keyboards. It's certainly not impossible to get a nice doubleshot or dyesub model for cheap either. Look for ones than end in H*D or H**DE for doubleshot or S*D for dyesub.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 March 2014, 13:49:24 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline timzen

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 13:55:41 »
I was just looking, too. You guys are completely right :thumb: