Author Topic: Question about making keycap with figure inside clear resin  (Read 4289 times)

Offline envyy24

Question about making keycap with figure inside clear resin
« on: Sat, 30 November 2019, 04:11:41 »
Sorry for the title, I really dont know what is the exact term for that kind of keycap. It looks like this

Credit: Dwarf factory, see the album here - https://imgur.com/gallery/C7PK2z9

anyways I found this video which shows step by step process of making a key cap like that:
t=s

But there is one part that I do not get. After the person made the base and the fnar figure (12:40) then he/she proceeded to put the whole thing inside a big mold and fill it with clear resin(13:57). The big mold kind of appear from nowhere to me, or did I miss something here? Because i think that the customed keycap is higher than a normal keycap (due to having a miniature inside) therefore the mold for the entire keycap can not be made with a regular keycap. Or can it? I cant really figure this part out, please help!!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Question about making keycap with figure inside clear resin
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 November 2019, 04:36:07 »
The technique is called encapsulation and looks like they're using an SA keycap mold.  SA caps are much taller than standard OEM or Cherry caps so plenty of room for fun stuff inside :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline envyy24

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 November 2019, 04:46:09 »
The technique is called encapsulation and looks like they're using an SA keycap mold.  SA caps are much taller than standard OEM or Cherry caps so plenty of room for fun stuff inside :)

Amazing, thank you very much!!!!
*off to buy SA keycap*

Offline Gastomo

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 03:02:33 »
I still do many things. Well not good enough I want everyone's opinions.